Goodbye, Farmhouse

JM_Forest_64

Finally get to move back into my North Farm safe house; 2.5 days and 700 dead zombies later.  Thanks for the suggestions!  This experience was awesome:

- I'm carefully planting crops and improving my perimeter barriers, and then I hear the dreaded sound of the helicopter.

- I flip out, fail to grab some basic necessities (like a can opener), then go outside to try and defend my base

- The horde is too much, I'm driven away, eventually fleeing face-first through the forest in order to get to the nearest isolated forest shack

- I determine that all is not lost, and that I will take my base back one zombie at a time

- I work my way through the trailer park and equip myself with everything I'll need to reclaim my base from the horde

- Using the North Farm's little annex house in the northern fields, I spend two full days cycling through zombie bashing and resting with my "how to" farming book

- Sure, things got a little hairy (ok, very, very hairy), and did get a scratch, but I made it through and the base is mine again.

NorthFarm2.thumb.JPG.63a3dc9e017f847526f08aff60ccc1ed.JPG

2 hours ago, Patrick H said:

Pro tip; Always have a can opener, a bottle of water and 3 sacks of chips with you. They don't weigh much, and they can be life savers when things like this happens.

Good heads up.  I totally neglected to set up a secondary "peace-out" spot on this play through, unlike previous characters.  I'm going to do that today.  Anyone have a good suggestion for clearing zombies out of thick forests?  The woods all around my safe house are basically infested with large groups of zombies.  I'm thinking about running to a nearby field and shooting a shotgun into the air, but I'm afraid of the result.

Forest Zombies can be trouble. I don't have any stellar methods other than luring them out with noise. The only method I've devised is thus:

Start by the edge of the forest, and begin cutting down some trees. You're going to need more lumber at some point, so you might as well. Most zombies in the area will hear your lumberjack shenanigans, and come shambling your way. Just make your way, bit by bit, through the forest by repeating this process. On a server I played on a while back, I was in the process of clearing a path through the forest from the highway to March Ridge so that you didn't have to enter town through the road to the east of town. It seemed to be working for me pretty well, but I never made it all the way through because... well, I decided that heart-racing sprints through the woods with zombies all around you was more fun! (AKA, I got bored of cutting down trees and fighting zombies and resting every three minutes from exhaustion.)

EDIT: Another, more dangerous tactic is to more or less repeat what I said above, only make each jump through the forest larger by say, sprinting a screen away each time you kill a group of lured zombies to lure even more from the surrounding areas. There are often little pockets of open area within forests you can engage zombies in with relative safety, so you can cover more ground this way, albeit more dangerously.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:54 AM, Patrick H said:

Pro tip; Always have a can opener, a bottle of water and 3 sacks of chips with you. They don't weigh much, and they can be life savers when things like this happens.

I always carrying at least 2 bottles of water, 10 chips and a can opener with a can of beans and a can of soup, that is my standard "oh shit i cant go back home right now" supplies.

My "OH FUCK THEY ARE KNOCKING AND THEY ARE NOT TAX COLLECTORS" bag has 4 bottles of water, stuff to make a campfire, a tent kit, 15 chips, 1 can opener and some cans of beans and soup (i just miss the pre-alpha soup).

Its always good to have something to backup yourself if you lose your base for the moment.

7 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I always carrying at least 2 bottles of water, 10 chips and a can opener with a can of beans and a can of soup, that is my standard "oh shit i cant go back home right now" supplies.

My "OH FUCK THEY ARE KNOCKING AND THEY ARE NOT TAX COLLECTORS" bag has 4 bottles of water, stuff to make a campfire, a tent kit, 15 chips, 1 can opener and some cans of beans and soup (i just miss the pre-alpha soup).

Its always good to have something to backup yourself if you lose your base for the moment.

I have 2 big bases in relative proximity all over the map. There's stacks of food and drinks inside of each and every base. 
But i also have the light eater and low thirst perks.

My main base is at valley station's construction site, i got one in twiggy's bar. I even have one at the most north eastern warehouse.
I got one in the muldraugh medium warehouse, and i got one inside of one of the 4 big ones outside of town.
I got one At the entrance to Marchridge, and i have one at the gas station south of Rosewood (the one with the pool)
I even have a base in the tavern south of Muldraugh. So yeah, i got a few resorts to choose from :P
My next goal is to take over the prison in Rosewood. This is going to be my biggest challenge yet.

I've also set up a few ''safe houses'' with minimal layers of protection an supplies.
Pretty much just 3 safe houses per city.

Your influence is spreading through the Knox County Event Zone... well done Patrick. My goal is also to cover the entire map with my influence. ;-)

Right now I have a base (more or less primary, it has all the essentials and was my first) in Rosewood at one of the south-eastern most houses tucked away in the woods, near the fields that lead to the farmlands. I've fortified it with double-barricaded windows and log walls to protect my fancy back glass slider door. I've looted literally every single building in Rosewood, kept track of by my personal annotated map, so once I cleared the city of all valuables (furniture not included), I decided to move to March Ridge, which was a little over a month into my game.

March Ridge is infested quite heavily. Looting is a chore now, unless I kill everything that moves, which admittedly is my typical strategy. I spent a week or so clearing out the eastern-most triplexes, and cleaning out the houses that you walk past on your way into town. I've cleared a good portion of the zombies in the "downtown" area, by way of fighting hordes near the Community Center. While it's a great central location to draw zombies to, I've discovered that I have to go through the libraries and dismantle all the damn bookshelves; the place can become quite dangerous when a few hordes come through and suddenly, my line of sight is divided by tons of tall furniture.

I stockpiled a ton of supplies in one of the triplexes, but I've actually started fortifying the diner right across the street from the Community Center in March Ridge, the one adjacent to the Post Office/Bank buildings. I'm not exactly sure what made me choose this place to set up, only that I've dismantled every single booth, desk and unnecessary door to scrap lumber from. Moved some dumpsters to provide some nice cover in the alleys, tore out the staircases in the nearby buildings, built some rooftop access bridges... It's a cute setup.

Once I fully loot this city, it's off to Muldraugh!

• 2 weeks later...

I usually place multiple safe houses around town, i mark on my maps as an "Oh shit heres comes doom again" situation, I tend to just knock stairs out and put sheet ropes in all windows as a small safe house with what ever food i find in said house and fill up any containers of water and leave them in a dresser or something along with a few weapons and some bandages and disinfectant.

So far in my main game i have over 10 safe houses scattered around muldraugh as safe zones just in case my main base gets taken over, but i usually have one main base per city (i play with every custom map mod put onto the main map) but I have a main base in Pheonix, south muldraugh, muldraugh, dixie, westpoint, drayton, dreadwood, new bedford, and a few other location. I usually stick it out for a month in each city to gather supplies from surrounding houses, bring said supplies to my main base until a month has passed and head to the next base. my main HQ is in westpoint at the strip center, i usually grab a car and drive to my other main bases to gather the supplies I've collected and left in case i need anything at HQ. yes....I have no life, I've just hit 2144 hours of gameplay too lmao but my main character has hit his second year of being alive :D

Archived