Okay so i'm not sure about anyone else but i moved an antique oven i found in Westpoint to my base in the warehouse south of Westpoint. What i discovered is how easy it is to use and once the electricity is off how much more efficient it is compared to the BBQ Grill and Charcoal Grill i have as i don't have to make a supply run to keep it running, all i have to do is collect clothes and shoes from zombies and anywhere else  skill books I've already read and don't need to read urn well as well, is it just me or does it seem over powered?

Screenshot

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1086305100

Sadly i discovered underwear does not burn...

Ehhh, OP is not the word I'd use, ever. Believe it or not, you don't need power to start a fire.

By the logic that this is OP, campfires are OP, and let's not forget that actually moving the damn thing requires 20 weight and some skill knowledge.

Okay but in terms of danger they're less likely to cause a fire than a fire place and from what i have seen so far you can keep constantly adding fuel with no limit ive had this going for 5 days straight now without having to put anything in, would you agree there should be a limit to how much you can put in a wood burning stove before is full?

What i discovered is how easy it is to use and once the electricity is off how much more efficient it is compared to the BBQ Grill and Charcoal Grill i have as i don't have to make a supply run to keep it running, all i have to do is collect clothes and shoes from zombies and anywhere else  skill books I've already read and don't need to read urn well as well, is it just me or does it seem over powered?

As someone who has lived in various ranches and farms for weeks on end without electricity in winter, i can tell you that i fucking love antique ovens and they are OP in real life too.

However, burning shoes would be the absolute worst idea you can do alongside burning the hardcover of books instead of individual pages, the smell it emits (because we have done it for the fuck of it when we were kids) was terrible, from the inside and the outside emissions, but burning wood is comfy as fuck and always smells nice.

Also like Kim said, that shit weights around 20 or so moving it around to your perfect base is a pain without vehicles and installing the damn thing also needs knowledge, in-game and in real life since if you dont install a exhaust you gonna probably die from the CO2.

6 hours ago, sub439 said:

Okay but in terms of danger they're less likely to cause a fire than a fire place and from what i have seen so far you can keep constantly adding fuel with no limit ive had this going for 5 days straight now without having to put anything in, would you agree there should be a limit to how much you can put in a wood burning stove before is full?

4 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

As someone who has lived in various ranches and farms for weeks on end without electricity in winter, i can tell you that i fucking love antique ovens and they are OP in real life too.

However, burning shoes would be the absolute worst idea you can do alongside burning the hardcover of books instead of individual pages, the smell it emits (because we have done it for the fuck of it when we were kids) was terrible, from the inside and the outside emissions, but burning wood is comfy as fuck and always smells nice.

Also like Kim said, that shit weights around 20 or so moving it around to your perfect base is a pain without vehicles and installing the damn thing also needs knowledge, in-game and in real life since if you dont install a exhaust you gonna probably die from the CO2.

I love the stove its great and i don't run the risk of burning down my house as much as a fire does i just think they should put a limit on how much you can put inside the stove cause as of now ive had it running almost 8 days ingame without putting any thing inside it 

14 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

installing the damn thing also needs knowledge, in-game and in real life since if you dont install a exhaust you gonna probably die from the CO2.

Why isn't that a thing in the game? It's brilliant, it would nullify a lot of the OPness if some serious skill was required to get the thing installed properly or else u die of CO.

1 minute ago, sub439 said:

I love the stove its great and i don't run the risk of burning down my house as much as a fire does i just think they should put a limit on how much you can put inside the stove cause as of now ive had it running almost 8 days ingame without putting any thing inside it 

I was editing my comment to add that bit.

In theory you can add a finite amount of wood to a stove that will keep it going for hours, however as you said earlier, you keep adding fuel and it keeps going, however removing the burned logs isnt that hard as you just move it around with a stick, dust off the ash inside,  take out the dust and the burnet to hell logs and add new ones, all of this under 5 to 10 minutes. 

But you are right, maybe reducing a bit the total amount of stuff the stove can hold is a good balance.

Just now, Blasted_Taco said:

I was editing my comment to add that bit.

In theory you can add a finite amount of wood to a stove that will keep it going for hours, however as you said earlier, you keep adding fuel and it keeps going, however removing the burned logs isnt that hard as you just move it around with a stick, dust off the ash inside,  take out the dust and the burnet to hell logs and add new ones, all of this under 5 to 10 minutes. 

But you are right, maybe reducing a bit the total amount of stuff the stove can hold is a good balance.

Yea other than that little thing it functions just like my little wood burner for my wall tent there is one at the farm out away from the towns that implanning on heading to as the well there makes it very appealling

3 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Why isn't that a thing in the game? It's brilliant, it would nullify a lot of the OPness if some serious skill was required to get the thing installed properly or else u die of CO.

Well isnt that hard to install in real life if you have the know-hows of carpentry or metal working depending on the conditions of where and what kind of stove it is.

Right now it takes Carpentry 1 i think to take it, so is not like the Average Joe is taking grandma stove and installing it just like plugging the TV to the socket. 

But it would be funny to have people complain about dying from smoke if they took the stove with no skill and install it inside their base without a skill again, just like the good ol generator. 

28 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Well isnt that hard to install in real life if you have the know-hows of carpentry or metal working depending on the conditions of where and what kind of stove it is.

Right now it takes Carpentry 1 i think to take it, so is not like the Average Joe is taking grandma stove and installing it just like plugging the TV to the socket. 

But it would be funny to have people complain about dying from smoke if they took the stove with no skill and install it inside their base without a skill again, just like the good ol generator. 

Well on generators it says not to install inside im not sure if it actually has an effect but if it does i imagine it would have the same type of effect

4 minutes ago, Damien Darkside said:

It isn't too hard as a person to think "wait, that pipe that leads outside might be important". It isn't like we are forging the damn thing.

Antique stoves like that should have internal "tanks" that are filled with consumables.

actually it can really be difficult as when you try to force to much smoke or have incorrect airflow it'll cause the fire to out at the best or the smoke to billow into the room at the worst it'll start a large fire, thats why in the industrial revolution there were chimney sweeps to keep chimneys clean so they did not cause fires or have smoke cause suffocation.

2 hours ago, sub439 said:

Well on generators it says not to install inside im not sure if it actually has an effect but if it does i imagine it would have the same type of effect

Install a generator inside and find out ;) (Dont, you are going to end up DED).

7 minutes ago, Damien Darkside said:

It isn't too hard as a person to think "wait, that pipe that leads outside might be important". It isn't like we are forging the damn thing.

Antique stoves like that should have internal "tanks" that are filled with consumables.

You would be surprised, people pay to have other people install that simple pipe because if you fuck up, there can be consequences for it.

Just now, Blasted_Taco said:

Install a generator inside and find out ;) (Dont, you are going to end up DED).

You would be surprised, people pay to have other people install that simple pipe because if you fuck up, there can be consequences for it.

haha you must have been typing your response as i was mine

15 hours ago, sub439 said:

Okay but in terms of danger they're less likely to cause a fire than a fire place and from what i have seen so far you can keep constantly adding fuel with no limit

As campfire (and, in fine, BBQ ; the limit with BBQ is that the "fuel" comes in short supplies)*.

Add to that, the antique oven can't be used to burn corpses (as campfire) or to start fireball exterminations (you know, make a big ball of zeds and drag them into a lighted firecamp...).  So, it don't appears so OP really ;-)

* : Yeah, well, you can't stop a BBQ from burning all the "fuel" inside, so, that's really a downstep. But the comment stand still for campfire.

20 hours ago, sub439 said:

No, friend. :)

Things you gotta consider:

20 carry weight, requires knowledge to obtain clearly and not break/lose it. That and there is a finite amount on the map. You can't craft one of these.

Compared to a fire pit, which you can casually pick up in kit form and place wherever. Call the other option OP all you want, but you can do so much more with a fire pit (including the main function of the wood stove).

So it's acceptable that there is some benefit for having the one that is indefinitely harder to acquire, even if that benefit is just having a heat source indoors.

There doesn't need to be some random disadvantage angle that really doesn't need to be there, these are meant to be alternative power-free stoves and should be treated as such.  As for a limit for what you can put in, I imagine there is room for balance here but this isn't an antique-stove specific issue. This a recurring thing with all fireplaces.

• 1 month later...

Story in favor of not nerfing the antique oven:

One time I was in Muldraugh and there was a huge crowd of zeds around the one house in Muldraugh that starts with an oven.  So I decided the easiest thing to do would be to walk to the railyard then to the abandoned cabins where there are two antique ovens that can be moved.

First time I did it, I got lost after finding the abandoned cabins.  I found the church then I was looking for the building with the stove, and got lost in the woods.  Got rained on, was very sleepy, perception reduced, zombie surprised me and bit me when I got back out to the road.

Second time I went to the abandoned cabins.  This time I didn't even get there because I had decided to build a shelter on the road nearby as a staging area, but was surprised by a zombie while I was cutting down trees... in the rain again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived