Driving skills!

I'm sure this is already being considered, but driving should definitely be worked into character creation when vehicle development stabilizes.

High drive skill could increase (and low would decrease):

- Turning responsiveness or likelihood of rollover (safe and effective control of momentum)

- Likelihood of car starting on first turn of the key (knowing how/when to turn the key for a rough starter)

- Control when running over obstacles (default erratic response when driving over something/zeds)

- Others?

I think that depending on your driving skills, you should be able to do sharp turns at higher speeds with a lower chance of rolling over, as opposed to a low skill in driving, where the player needs to drive slower so he can turn better. Also, fast driving should make you panic if you have low skills in driving, making you more prone to swerving too much and rolling over or not stepping on the breaks in time. This is just my opinion about the driving skills. Also, seat belts please ! Unless you want to fly through the window like this soccer mom did.

Edited by Legoland99

4 hours ago, Zorak said:

Not a skill, trait yes.

We have way too many skills that are worthless. First flesh out skills to make them interesting pick before adding new ones.

Cooking, farming, nimble they have little to no impact compared to carpentry etc.

The dream would be a skills overhaul if they open up the system for driving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:37 PM, Zorak said:

Not a skill, trait yes.

We have way too many skills that are worthless. First flesh out skills to make them interesting pick before adding new ones.

Cooking, farming, nimble they have little to no impact compared to carpentry etc.

I strongly disagree, I love having many different skills and all those skills except for Nimble are fleshed out and have uses.

Edited by Gurluas

On 27/07/2017 at 0:07 AM, DramaSetter said:

I hope TIS balance all the skills someday,because now most of them are useless. 

( Hunting,electricity,first aid,cooking,metalworking )

Or OP

( Farming,carpentry )

I must disagree on Hunting (Trapping) ; with Nutrition activated it's even quite a "must have" when you can't get any canned food/meat (deep into survival or with very scarce ressources drop). And, honestly, listing OP skills and not mentionning Forage ?! ;-) But, i'm with you for the other parts...

57 minutes ago, agreubill said:

I must disagree on Hunting (Trapping) ; with Nutrition activated it's even quite a "must have" when you can't get any canned food/meat (deep into survival or with very scarce ressources drop). And, honestly, listing OP skills and not mentionning Forage ?! ;-) But, i'm with you for the other parts...

Forage? Kind of 

I've found that with a group of two survivors you can easily stay well-fed with a well-balanced diet by simply foraging. You have to cover a bit of ground, and of course invest the time to level your foraging to a high level, but the amount of resources nature gives you is borderline crazy!

Sticks and twigs (fire fuel), rocks (for axes!), logs (at high level), eggs (yum!), frogs (a different kind of yum), worms (we lived at McCoy Logging in Muld, so fishing wasn't really feasible but hey, trapping!), a plethora of berries (good snack throughout the day), mushrooms (wild game and mushroom stir-fries ftw), and HERBS, oh my LORD the herbs! Herbs are a non-perishable food source and the medicinal herbs make tending wounds a drastically less painful experience. With the right poultice, you can cut the healing time on a wound down to half, or perhaps even more.

I am a firm advocate of adding Foraging to the OP skills list. ;-)

23 hours ago, FireOnAsphalt said:

I've found that with a group of two survivors you can easily stay well-fed with a well-balanced diet by simply foraging. You have to cover a bit of ground, and of course invest the time to level your foraging to a high level, but the amount of resources nature gives you is borderline crazy!

Sticks and twigs (fire fuel), rocks (for axes!), logs (at high level), eggs (yum!), frogs (a different kind of yum), worms (we lived at McCoy Logging in Muld, so fishing wasn't really feasible but hey, trapping!), a plethora of berries (good snack throughout the day), mushrooms (wild game and mushroom stir-fries ftw), and HERBS, oh my LORD the herbs! Herbs are a non-perishable food source and the medicinal herbs make tending wounds a drastically less painful experience. With the right poultice, you can cut the healing time on a wound down to half, or perhaps even more.

I am a firm advocate of adding Foraging to the OP skills list. ;-)

Can't tell better.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, i can't resist ; "You know nothing Margera".

Now, to be honest, we were talking about skills into Vanilla game. So for instance, it was about "Trapping".

On 28/07/2017 at 4:44 PM, agreubill said:

I must disagree on Hunting (Trapping) ; [...]

Sorry for autoquoting the full sentence ;-)

Hunting isn't in Vanilla (mods only). Even in mods i've tried (Hydrocraft, Hunting mod), Hunting is still not a skill (related to some, but not one by itself). Now, you imply to know something about the future, and i'm intrigued ? Care to elaborate ?

Id love to see them add in car parts like belts, tire pump, jack, spare tire, batteries and various other thing of the sort into the game. thing about it, you're driving along when suddenly you hit a zed with your car driving at 75mph when the zeds bones shatter it pops your tire, you'd have to go out to the trunk and pull out a spare or even one of those 50 mile doughnut tires and change it. or maybe prolonged use of a car, maybe you'll shred a serpentine belt, or burn out a headlight (which would suuuuck at night driving with no headlights!). They could even add in damage effects to the car, like after hitting so many zeds the front fender starts hanging on one of the sides and scrapes the ground causing even MORE zombies to follow you untill you A: properly fix it (which i have an idea about fixing cars aswell) or B: duct tape that bumper!

Now with the ability to fix cars this would be a PERFECT way to introduce the car still, it would inclued, Car Handling, & Car Maintenance. Handing would mean the higher you level it the better your driving gets, tighter quicker turns, breaking faster ect. and car maitnence would determine how well you can fix a car and what you can and cant fix on it! like a novice will probably not know how to crang out a belt without reading a magazine first to learn how once he or she hits level 2 car maintenance, and the lower you car maintenance skill is you only know crappy 'quick' fixes for things, dunno how to change that whole broken headlight from hitting all those zeds back there? shove a flashlight in there and duct tape it! muffler is dragging the ground? use a coat hanger and wire it back up! window it stuck down? tape a tarp to it! but the better your skill it... headlight still broken? find a replacement at a auto-shop or take one off another car and use a screwdriver and put one in,  the mufflers dragging again since the coat hanger (or the Wire item) broke? well you can weld it now (4 car maintenance and maybe2 or 3 metalworking?). windows still stuck, use a screwdriver and some electrical components or just disassemble one from another car and replace it properly or even weld it sealed with a metal sheet. which brings me to the last car skill..

Car modification! this would go hand in hand with metalworking, electrical, engineering, and car maintenance (as same with car maintenance being apart of those other skills as well except car modification). this skill will bring the realistic side of mad max to zomboid! weld some metal sheets to the car windows with small slits in it to still see, or even the welding rods! you could do the same with the back window and windshield as well, take out back seats to increase storage space, attach barbwire to front and back bumper and weld metal rods/knives to the front grill, and even engine mods to increase gas mileage, speed, shifting, and of course regular car mods found in garages or on other cars like a spoiler, or a different muffler change headlight colors with the colored bulbs ect. the addition of cars could add all these amazing opportunities into the game as long as we keep them realistic! i think my idea would work great in zomboid and give it that customization feel especially in multiplayer which seeing other peoples cars would be awesome. even maybe add in paint for the cars too which the paint cans haha, maybe have the trucks use diesel fuel? the possibilities are endless, lets just hope the devs see this post and conciser mine and our ideas ;D

Panic on high speed? Higher your driving skill - less panic. 

Panic while driving will cause difficulties with driving -  harder to fit in turn, random turns while driving ( same system if your character drunk ). With panic you also will do usual things slower ( just how it works without cars ). Starting car engine will be harder because of panic etc.

Also, alcahol should affect on driving too.

Edited by DramaSetter

18 hours ago, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

Car modification! this would go hand in hand with metalworking, electrical, engineering, and car maintenance (as same with car maintenance being apart of those other skills as well except car modification). this skill will bring the realistic side of mad max to zomboid!

No need to bring Max there.

Znyder provides in the remake of Romero Dawn of Z ; 

5 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Also, Mad Max car modification is extremely unrealistic. Don't get me started - throwing on plows and cow catchers to most civilian vehicles can absolutely cripple your driving.

oh god hahaha i wasn't meaning all that, maybe mad max was too far of of what i was implying lmao. i mean small thinks like welding a metal bar to increase bumper damage, maybe putting knives in the grill thinkgs like that, I should have put down "REALISTIC modifications ;P "