Zomboid fails to load on Mac - Java installed?

gfurst

Question

Hey guys, so I was trying to get Zomboid to work on my mac, through steam. The game loads a bit laggy but crashes when loading the map, that part "this is how you die...".

So at first at though it would be just one of those zomboid bugs that need manual fix( I usually use linux, so...)

But reading some post in the main steam thread, user with similar issue it was recommended to update Java.

Which got me wondering, how do I know i got the update Java?

Really didn't found anything about it on my system, apart from Java Visual VM, there are definately a lot of stuff around from java on my system (used spotlight). But no actually Java app.

I thought this to be weird so I wanted to check with someone around here. Right now I'm download Java jre from the official source. Obviously OsX has java working, with its aim to be an easy system that works out-of-the-box.

Acutally instead of installing the official I checked the OsX software updater and really there is a update pending for Java, and really its ages since I last updated... So I'm check on this, But any inputs on why its crashing?

13 answers to this question

10.5.8 still gets releases from Oracle (or Sun, whatever it is now).

Everything 10.6.1 and on gets updates directly from Apple, which will happen via the normal Update process (on the App store). You can check your current Java version by going into the System Preferences, and at the bottom there should be a "Java" button that will launch the Java preferences. From there you can see your version- the current version is Java 7 Update 45.

Having an out of date VM could be causing your problems; it's certainly a good first step to take. If that doesn't work, then try what RoboTechno suggests and open the Console (available in Applications -> Utilities) and see what kind of error you get there.

Precisely, cheking console for zomboid I've found from the last time I run:

16/10/13 11:42:21,941 [0x0-0x3a03a].com.projectzomboid: Invalid memory access of location 0x1185b6000 rip=0x7fff8a19766f

My system prefs doesn't have a Java options pane, I don't really know what is my current version.

I any way the OsX update presented a available update for Java, which I have downloaded but still to restart the computer and try again. Will do it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replys :)

It's probably the same memory access error we all get...

That should have been fixed not only by the 64-bit fix I implemented, but also by the more recent interim builds (since the memory use went back into acceptable levels).

Well, it isnt just me getting it. Robomat too.

Precisely, it still crashes after the Java update, but still didn't actually install java's official runtime environment. But I don't it matters.

This is the last bits from console:

20/10/13 19:28:16,630 [0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid: loot all visible20/10/13 19:28:16,630 [0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid: context menu created20/10/13 19:28:16,630 [0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid: context menu initialised20/10/13 19:28:16,630 [0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid: context menu added20/10/13 19:28:17,149 [0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid: Invalid memory access of location 0x12bb2e000 rip=0x7fff8e91266f20/10/13 19:28:24,279 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x33033].com.projectzomboid[462]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 1120/10/13 19:28:26,494 [0x0-0x2e02e].com.valvesoftware.steam: Game removed: AppID 108600 "Project Zomboid", ProcID 462 

Compatibility mode does works and it looks pretty smooth. I only wish it had zoom capabilities.
 cheers

It's not suppose to auto-install Java. That's something people should have themselves. We may end up adding an auto-downloader at some point, but fairly low on the priorities right now.

I'm a bit lost in the versions right now, but I'm not sure if zoom is in for anyone for the moment. I could easily be wrong.

It's not suppose to auto-install Java. That's something people should have themselves. We may end up adding an auto-downloader at some point, but fairly low on the priorities right now.

I'm a bit lost in the versions right now, but I'm not sure if zoom is in for anyone for the moment. I could easily be wrong.

What auto-install Java? What I've meant is that OsX usually has it own java release embedded in the updates( am I correct?)

Anyway, I was under the impression that zoom is only not working on the compatibility mode.