World Health Organization and Corpse Disposal

trombonaught

A thought about corpses:

"The widespread belief that corpses pose a major health risk is inaccurate. Especially if death resulted from trauma, bodies are very unlikely to cause outbreaks of diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera or plague though they may transmit gastroenteritis or food poisoning syndrome for survivors if they contaminate streams, wells or other water sources.."

This is from the World Health Organization. If you aren't ingesting them, bodies aren't that dangerous. I have friends who retrieve bodies for a living, and they aren't worried about any vectors for infection other than getting blood in their eye (or similar).

I feel like the devs could maybe look to similar information sources when considering how to balance corpse disposal. Infection is waaay less of a problem (i.e. not a problem) than it is portrayed to be now. 

That being said, I'm sure living around corpses is hella sad so I'm all for piling on the depression.

Anyone else feel the game could take a lead from reality on this one?

I fully agree. Like I said before there should just be a "Something Smells Rotten" moodle when around corpses, having it should only increase sadness. Getting sick and being able to just die from corpses being around is not a good idea IMHO.

40 minutes ago, Paul Redeker said:

As the devil's advocate.  How much experience does the WHO have with zombie corpses?

Ha, this.

Also this is not specifically about bodies that are already rotting, considering these are the "living" Dead, they usually have been dead for a bit.

I don't think they should be deadly, though. 

I'll agree while yes a few bodies that die of trauma don't pose a threat, a large quantity will cause health risks which I think is the idea, the toxicity is low but leaving that ever growing mountain of bodies outside your base eventually takes its toll. 

I think the real danger in this kinda situation though is more in what the dead bodies attract such as bacteria, rats, ect.. which will create hazards faster I would think.

If the person dies from/while carrying a disease then yes the corpse can provide as a vector of transmission, in fact, in the battle of caffa corpses of people who had died from the plague were used as a early form of bio warfare by catapulting them into the city. Also given how pz supplies a infinite amount of zombies to kill, I think its not so much a stretch to think that some of them are carrying a nasty disease when they died.

It should never be directly deadly except for an extremely long exposure period.

It should add to depression, mood and such, also you should be able to get sick from being near corpses. Sickness should increase the hunger moodle faster, or when the animation system comes in, have the character vomit and drastically increase thirst (since blowing chunks dehydrates you). Crops near corpses should become infected and die out. 

Probably be good to have antibiotics in the game to counter sickness and to decrease the effects.

35 minutes ago, Damien Darkside said:

It should never be directly deadly except for an extremely long exposure period.

It should add to depression, mood and such, also you should be able to get sick from being near corpses. Sickness should increase the hunger moodle faster, or when the animation system comes in, have the character vomit and drastically increase thirst (since blowing chunks dehydrates you). Crops near corpses should become infected and die out. 

Probably be good to have antibiotics in the game to counter sickness and to decrease the effects.

+1 for more sickness, less death. Really wish nausea and colds were more prevalent other than when infected/rained on.

35 minutes ago, Damien Darkside said:

This.

Several vague aliments that you have a chance to catch (and initially treat)  would be much more fun than simple health reduction.

1 hour ago, Damien Darkside said:

I although thougth it might be a good idea to have more kinds of sickness and an effect on your mental health is better than the one dimensional effect on health only with the risk to die.

Getting sick is not usually what should kill you, not directly anyway.

BUT getting sick also means your stamina drops, you get tired really fast, weaker grip on weapons, weaker hits, coughs drawing up attention,... The more you leave it untreated - the bigger the negatives get. Thus room for errors widen. I think if you guys work around the 'sickness' feature, this could very well be the best demonstration of diseases and its effects in gaming history.

19 hours ago, trombonaught said:

Anyone else feel the game could take a lead from reality on this one?

Well the game does not take the lead of "5 minutes in the rain = you get a cold that could potentially kill your ass in the long run". (Begin wet does not make you get a cold, you need to be in contact with the virus to get a cold in the first place).

From my point of view, this is a case of "gameplay > realism" (especially considering this is a game that takes place in a zombie outbreak, so we dont know the pathology that may happen because of the decayed walking moaning corpse).

There needs to be ways to deal temporally with this problem though, begin gas masks (just for the cool factor) or just rag masks that cover your mouth and lets you stay a bit alongside the bodies.

Like other said, the main problem is that having corpses around your house is deadly, you literally die because something is rotting outside your house.

What i would like to see is the possibility of rats, think about you have a backyard full of dead bodies, dead bodies attracts rats, rats go into your house because hey someone no dead is living there and it has fucking rotten food thrown all over the damn place, now living with rabid rats is a problem and one bite of those fuckers can be deadly.

But if you dont get rats, you could get a severe hit in your mood, living among the literal dead with the smell, nausea that induces vomit that induces dehydration, lack of hunger that leads to loss weight and weakness,  headaches, depression from that hit of mood in the long run and all of these factors combined should be deadly enough to say "huh maybe i should really clean the corpses of half the city i have in front of my fort".

Still my main problem is the lack of new moodles, is like they are afraid of introducing new moodles that can deal with some of these problems. 

7 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Well the game does not take the lead of "5 minutes in the rain = you get a cold that could potentially kill your ass in the long run". (Begin wet does not make you get a cold, you need to be in contact with the virus to get a cold in the first place)

(Although 5 mins real time is like 2 hours game time ;) )

And at least there's only a chance to get a cold. It's not guaranteed.  You can fend it off easily by drying yourself or eating. The zombie gas can't be escaped outside of burying corpses, which actually forces you to be in close proximity with those same corpses poisoning you, in the first place.

Though I really wish there was actually a pre-defined "cold" illness with its own unique symptoms.

Archived