House of Fuels

nasKo

goonty-asatrigger-712x462.jpg

Happy Steam Summer Sale week survivors. May all your money-off dreams come true.

CHRISW’S BUILDING TIER MAGIC

Okay, so first off we’ve just had some of ChrisW’s cool engine/visuals stuff drop into the IWBUMS public test in build 38.4. They look a little bit like this. [Vid supplied by the lovely Mark.exe]

Essentially the only levels that are hidden from the player are the ones of the building that you’re inside or directly outside – meaning that higher floors and rooftops around you become visible. ChrisW has also made the act of peeking through windows to see what’s inside a lot more immersive, as well as improving the engine so walls no longer stencil to transparent when you’re outside unless they’re blocking your view.

All this makes the map feel a lot more tangible and real, so feel free to take the IWBUMS beta for a spin – and please let us know of any bugs or issues that might crop up for you. One that’s immediately in the above video, for example, is that some overhang tiles appear as black upon approach.

After fixing bugs/issues that emerge, then next on ChrisW’ list are Sims style cutaways to make internal building navigation more pleasant and visually attractive.

SERVER COMMUNITY MEGATEST

Also just added to the IWBUMS public beta is an MP server option that Stas from General Arcade has been working on. This momentarily pauses all player activity when admins require server saving, instead of having it stretch out while players are out performing various in-game actions. Stas has also worked on shortening these save times – so this should all help lag, black boxes and the like. It’ll also need a stress test. So…

This Wednesday 28th June at 7pm GMT we will be running a test IWBUMS server with this new function (full details to appear in this thread) and anyone willing to jump on and play the game for an hour will get a free Project Zomboid code to give to a friend/enemy/close family relation. All we need is for you to be running around on the server for an hour or so, and it’ll probably be quite a fun escapade.

GENERAL IWBUMS

Also added in this beta is an SP custom map selection that’ll allow you to load up multiple community maps without having to create your own mod, and some new grave imagery too as the initial ones were too long and looked a little too neat.

%5E1776D522DD6EBFDF39729D444476B7E8A5C5A

Next up RJ is reworking how the current ‘nearby rotting corpses don’t make survival pleasant’ code operates, as its current implementation clearly needs some improvement.

OTHER STUFF

MarkR has created a tool called AnimZed, which is one of the mediums through which he’s simplifying the anim integration process both for us and, in future, the modding community. It looks a little bit like this. Ooh, and we’d also like to officially welcome Connall to the PZ codebase, who’ll be starting off by going back through the bug tracker and fixing up legacy irritations alongside various other nips and tucks.

VEHICLES

In today’s new vehicles build, as well as hopefully nixing the irritating flies bug that came in with the last version, Yuri has been fixing up MP syncing issues that saw lights apparently flicking on and off by themselves, and zombies running through closed doors to try to get to you.

This week the plan is for him to work on aspects of the physics that need improvement. For example: collision with zombies, the fact that driving into zombie crowds without acceleration seems to have more impact on them than doing so with your foot down, deceleration in general, braking distance and, of course, the famed tumbling/hovering StepVan of Doom.

This week’s lonely gas station clerk from Goonty Asatrigger. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless Mondoids for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too. 

23 hours ago, nasKo said:

VEHICLES

In today’s new vehicles build, as well as hopefully nixing the irritating flies bug that came in with the last version

The vehicle build needs a hotfix because there is a debug.lua file leftover from closed testing (It's in gamedir/media/lua/client/debug.lua it can be removed easily but I imagine some people are scratching their heads) that adds a bunch of items on start of the game and makes the character invulnerable. Having it merged with 38.4 would also be nice if only to check out if the system for hiding rooftops and upper floors plays with vehicles nicely.

Edit: The above is now done :P

Other than that, Really looking forward to seeing the cutaways implemented and transparent walls going bye bye, the recent update made the game look and feel a lot better, I'm pretty sure that after 2 years of playing only now have I seen majority of the buildings with their roof attached, it's great.

Edit II: Lol a video I recorded Is featured and i got 2 subs to my dead channel.

Edited by Svarog

The roof viewing update really is not working out as dandy as one would expect. I don't just mean bugs and visual flaws. There are many pen-and-paper stuff that should be considered or (preferably fixed if possible) before you decide this is here to stay. Here are two major ones.

1. Players cannot see what is behind walls without running up to that wall. This is more evident in areas with taller buildings and more elaborate roof structures.

Say you are running from the zeds in an unfamiliar area in a relatively crowded street. You want to hide inside a building on the left side of the street except that you cannot see which buildings have windows and doors until you run up to that wall directly. It may not sound as annoying until it happens to you.

And it goes without question that this is not an issue of "get gud". This is a serious drawback to a problem that players did not have before this update. There was a really good post with screenshots by @Snaiper on the suggestions board earlier.

WuitTRE.jpg

sVgOsvJ.jpg

The player cannot see the path, let alone the windows, without getting towards the wall length.

2. Players cannot see dropped items or furniture behind these buildings when they otherwise should.

That line should go without explanation, if there is something the player can use that is removed from view because a 2nd floor is blocking it, odds are the gameplay affecting thing is more important.

I would suggest taking these into account when deciding what to do next because this will probably be one of the biggest complaints when the update drops.

On 30.06.2017 at 11:43 PM, Kim Jong Un said:

Here are two major ones.

But I'm worried about another problem. Suppose, we have an shooter on the second floor. If we are on the street below, he sees us, but we do not see him.
Especially the relevance of this problem becomes if the street in the direction of the East-West. Then all the windows of buildings located in the north for us, just not visible...

P.S. Honestly, I don't know how to solve this problem, but this is a big imbalance for the network game... :(

1111.png

Edited by Margera