More Graves + Corpse Disposal Details

Brex

Everyone knows that Build 38 is introducing the gameplay mechanic of digging graves to dispose of rotting corpses as an alternative to burning them. A good idea, but one that I think can be improved in the following ways: 

1. More grave types/models. The current model of the grave is a single rectangle of dirt. To me, that model looks too smooth and clean. I have a hard time believing that a ragged survivor under duress who may or may not have done any hard work in his life would dig a hole that pretty. In my opinion, graves dug by amateur survivors should look like they were dug quickly and haphazardly, with ragged edges, uneven dirt, and other details that make it look like it wasn't dug by a professional digger. Something like this:

77fe58605953d2ff6958d9a9_3.jpg

2. Funeral pyres/more realistic body burning. One of the things nobody else seems to have noticed is just how effective cremation via gasoline is. I mean, you dump a little gas on a corpse, light a match, and boom, he's ashes in a few seconds. While that may be for gameplay purposes, that's simply not realistic. It takes a LOT of heat and fire to completely destroy a human body, and a simple gasoline fire won't reach ANYWHERE near the temperatures required for cremation. It's one of the most unrealistic things in this otherwise punishingly realistic game. The solution? Rather than simply leaving behind ashes, perhaps corpses can become charred and partially destroyed to the point where, though not completely gone, they at least won't be a source of disease and infection anymore. Also, funeral pyres. Stack a few logs on top of one another and throw the bodies on top. I was gonna suggest having a separate model for corpse piles, but that's probably redundant. 

3. Body bags. We know the military and the scientists were performing experiments within the Exclusion Zone, so it'd make sense that they'd have at least a few dozen corpses lying around wrapped up in a plastic body bag. So why not utilize some of what they left behind, or even make your own out of stuff like bedsheets? It would make transporting corpses far more sanitary, because I don't think anyone in real life would be comfortable carrying a rotting corpse with their bare hands. Which leads me to my next idea:

4. Corpse disposal equipment. Latex gloves, respirators, cloth breathing masks, hazmat suits, anything that will make the transportation and disposal of corpses more sanitary. Again, you don't wanna be touching that stuff with your bare hands.

5. Mass graves. Instead of just taking up a few tiles, these graves take up several tiles in both length and width, and can hold a ton of bodies. Takes longer to dig than a regular grave. 

I'm all for the introduction of grave digging to the world of Project Zomboid. I just think it could be improved and expanded upon. What do you think?

1 minute ago, Drama_Setter said:

That thing  pisses me of too,especially sprite for burned corpses.

Exactly, there needs to be a sprite for charred remains. Even if it's just a blackened corpse model, it's more realistic than simply leaving behind ashes. It's gasoline, not laser beams. 

Honestly the current grave system looks and feels lazy as hell. Graves are too big (why 3 tiles? Every bed, couch is 2 tiles, 2 tiles should do for a corpse, 3 just looks horrible) Being able to bury 5 corpses in that is even worse. Also, Cross, Pyre etc. tiles are far too far away from the grave's edge which looks terrible.

Have this at the very least. Mass grave can be 2x2 for 10 and it'll be FAR more believable than a 3x1 for 5
qAKUnEt.png

4 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Honestly the current grave system looks and feels lazy as hell. Graves are too big (why 3 tiles? Every bed, couch is 2 tiles, 2 tiles should do for a corpse, 3 just looks horrible) Being able to bury 5 corpses in that is even worse. Also, Cross, Pyre etc. tiles are far too far away from the grave's edge which looks terrible.

Have this at the very least. Mass grave can be 2x2 for 10 and it'll be FAR more believable than a 3x1 for 5
qAKUnEt.png

Agreed with grave lenght,but for me - crosses looks good,not far,not close.

Also,why we can walk over unburied graves? That looks weird. Need to add "Invisible wall" to pits,to make it more realistic

( You still can walk through small way between  graves,so that not OP. )

And ALSO,need opportunity to bury graves with only 1 corpse,to RP reasons.

I have to agree with all of this, while I like the idea of disease and rotting corpses I actually haven't even bothered playing iwbums yet because it looks kinda barebones and simple compared to other features that have been aded. Of course it's only early testing but I would like it improved.

A triple + for bodybags, I could really use the sprite for my map and saves me making one xD

8 hours ago, Svarog said:

lazy as hell

First off, could we possibly avoid phrasing like this when we're dealing with something that's WIP? It's really quite dispiriting. 

I agree that it needs work in various different areas, and most of what's discussed in this thread has been aired backstage too.

I would say, however, that we are up against a few annoying factors too. For example, 'invisible walls' around graves to stop people walking over them would be us introducing a new zed/player barrier - and would be a 'Return of the Composters' exploit. This also complicates adding larger Grave Pits as, whereas we can just about get away with a grave sprite you can walk over, it would seem really weird to have a bigger hole that's walk-through as well.

15 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

For example, 'invisible walls' around graves to stop people walking over them would be us introducing a new zed/player barrier - and would be a 'Return of the Composters' exploit. 

Umm.. No? Maybe,just a little.

Otherwise,with animations,we can just jump over that pit ( not saying for stupid zombies )

Maybe,add "invisible walls" only when animation overhaul update arrive?

20170613140711_1.jpg

Edited by Drama_Setter

55 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

No biggie. Sorry, probably woke up a bit grumpy this morning.

I was a bit grumpy last night . You're right anyway, it's a wip it'll get better I should have just thrown my suggestion and thoughts on the pile without the unnecessary comment.

Edit. Yeah the grave in my pic is the in game grave tiles without the middle part. 

Edited by Svarog

12 hours ago, BayCon said:

I think you consistently have some of the best ideas in this community. :)

Wow, thank you. I just wanna support this game as much as I can. Heck if I knew anything about coding or graphic design I'd offer my services in that field. But for now I'm happy to provide ideas for the development team and the community. 

13 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

First off, could we possibly avoid phrasing like this when we're dealing with something that's WIP? It's really quite dispiriting. 

I agree that it needs work in various different areas, and most of what's discussed in this thread has been aired backstage too.

I would say, however, that we are up against a few annoying factors too. For example, 'invisible walls' around graves to stop people walking over them would be us introducing a new zed/player barrier - and would be a 'Return of the Composters' exploit. This also complicates adding larger Grave Pits as, whereas we can just about get away with a grave sprite you can walk over, it would seem really weird to have a bigger hole that's walk-through as well.

Well, WIP or not,at least this update give me interest to play after 700+ hours,so,i think this is good enough.

I Think that the main point is always benefit vs harm. The only bad thing is

hp lose, we can overcome that by simply eating a bit more for healing effect.

Its the same way with cooking and 1st aid.

If you want us to pay attention to those corpses you need to make sure that it will affect us long term. Perhapse not super deadly but things like reduced movement speed, carrying capacity etc will matter more than just some simply hp lose.

Moodle system is great, make us of it. If we get some debuff for 2-3 days it will motivate us more than just simple damage.

Sorry for duble post and a offtopic but I think that the main issue is healing / 1 st aid system. We need things like minor ilness. They wont kill us like bite but will keep our attention for things that devs wants to be important.

Like: corpses - if we ignore them we can get some trublesome debuff for few days.

Now we can:

Ignore it and play with that debuff.

Use some pills/meds to reduce it.

Burn/avoid corpses to prevent it.

Same with cooking, if we dont cook proper meal there is a risk of stomach pain etc for few days. We can stay at home for those 3-4 days.

Use pills to reduce it to 1-2 days. Or just start cooking to prevent it.