The Problem with Maps

Brex

I'd like to start out by saying that I absolutely LOVE the new in-game map system. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's extremely useful for marking places you've been and places you plan on going. Heck, before in-game maps were introduced I was literally drawing my own maps in order to keep track of where I'd been in Knox County.

However, there's a problem with the new map system, and that's actually finding a g*ddamn map. Maps, both annotated and non-annotated, seem to only spawn on zombies. Meaning that in order to find any kind of map, you have to kill a ton of zombies.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure the entire objective of Project Zomboid is to SURVIVE, and your chances of surviving are limited if you go out LOOKING for zombies to kill. Not to mention it wears on your weapons and resources. Imagine having to kill dozens of zombies and getting a few wounds in the process just to find a freaking map that you're not even gonna be able to use because surprise, your wounds are infected and you're a goner. 

What I'm saying is, maps are extremely useful but also extremely difficult to find. I mean, it's even a crapshoot whether you'll find a map of the town you're currently holed up in! I can't tell you how many times I've been in Muldraugh and found maps for West Point, March Ridge, and Rosewood...y'know, every map EXCEPT the one I need. 

I think there should be a greater spawn area for maps, such as in bookstores or in the glove compartments of cars. Also I think the "Starter Kit" option in Sandbox should be amended to include a map of the surrounding area when you spawn in. It's much less of a hassle and allows the player to focus on actual survival rather than going around town killing zombies and risking his life trying to find a g*ddamn scrap of paper. 

I can't be the only one thinking of this, right?

Regular maps have a chance of spawning in any magazine shelf, even more so on magazine shelves inside of gas stations.

Stash maps however (at leats the vast majority) only spawn on zombies, as they were survivors who died.

Just now, RingoD123 said:

Regular maps have a chance of spawning in any magazine shelf, even more so on magazine shelves inside of gas stations.

Stash maps however (at leats the vast majority) only spawn on zombies, as they were survivors who died.

Really? I've never found any maps on magazine shelves. Guess I must not be looking hard enough. :P

Archived