RELEASED: IWBUMS Build 38.15

RobertJohnson

I was playing 38.4 on vacation and noticed that the tutorial wouldn't load. I was getting an error that said to check the console, then the program would crash. I skimmed the console, which I didn't save, and it said some shit about spawn points. I will try to recreate this, see if it persists in 38.5 or if I just fucked up some code. 

On 16/07/2017 at 3:30 PM, Svarog said:

Eh? They get dirty for me, with clothing degradation being off in sandbox too

Sh*t, i though clothes had durability, i missunderstood :(
dunno but it does nothing if i wear dirty clothes or not, 15 ingame days with dirty pants & shoes and nothing happen. Well clothes are only usefull on late winter.
What was wrong with the old roof system ? because atm its completly f*cked up :/
i know i am like my ingame character, never happy ;)

For me the changest are going the good way. I am no longer able to feed myself with mushrooms endlessly.

6 hours ago, Patrick H said:

They are evolving....
They can now swim. Beware, fellow survivors.

Seen this. For me they evolved even more, as they are teleporting into empty rooms and sometimes teleporting out of them (explanation below).

Has anyone experienced a bug related to zombies appearing out of nowhere.

To explain - you searched the whole house and no zombies there. You enter the last room and see a zombie which disappears. Afterwards you enter the room cautiously, look around just to see it is empty. After entering furhter (even closing the door behind you) suddenly two (or three) zombies appear - one in front of you and one behind you. Afterwards it's straight story: get bitten and die.

Experienced this thing quite a few times in build 38.4 and 38.5. This is why I'm backing up my saves now.

My previous character died in similiar situation however the zombies were in the room and jumped on me, I panicked and got bitten. The situation was legitimate. If I get bitten by something that appears out of nowhere I just use the backup. For me this is gamebreaking, unless zombies learned teleportation somehow.

Edited by Vintrius

2 hours ago, Vintrius said:

For me the changest are going the good way. I am no longer able to feed myself with mushrooms endlessly.

Seen this. For me they evolved even more, as they are teleporting into empty rooms and sometimes teleporting out of them (explanation below).

Has anyone experienced a bug related to zombies appearing out of nowhere.

To explain - you searched the whole house and no zombies there. You enter the last room and see a zombie which disappears. Afterwards you enter the room cautiously, look around just to see it is empty. After entering furhter (even closing the door behind you) suddenly two (or three) zombies appear - one in front of you and one behind you. Afterwards it's straight story: get bitten and die.

Experienced this thing quite a few times in build 38.4 and 38.5. This is why I'm backing up my saves now.

My previous character died in similiar situation however the zombies were in the room and jumped on me, I panicked and got bitten. The situation was legitimate. If I get bitten by something that appears out of nowhere I just use the backup. For me this is gamebreaking, unless zombies learned teleportation somehow.

YES!
This happens inside the mall ALL the time.
They just appear out of nowhere, or often just completely disappear only to appear elsewhere.

Edited by Patrick H

47 minutes ago, Patrick H said:

YES!
This happens inside the mall ALL the time.
They just appear out of nowhere, or often just completely disappear only to appear elsewhere.

Could you guys help in narrowing down when it started happening at all? Was it present at the very start of this IWBUMS? Like 38.1, 38.2 and 38.3?

I wonder if it's crept in with ChrisW's engine work from 38.4 onwards.

4 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Could you guys help in narrowing down when it started happening at all? Was it present at the very start of this IWBUMS? Like 38.1, 38.2 and 38.3?

It started happening back in 35+ in my experience.
It came paired with this glitch; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxp3OZzseI 
The ''passing out'' glitch was hard to highlight due to the randomness of this glitch paired with the other glitch. Hence the no zombie world.
I did mention the bug a few times on the forums but it got little to no attention. I haven't been near the mall since.
I could do some further testing of course.

Edited by Patrick H

Just now, Batsphinx said:

Hmm okay - sounds like it could be a separate issue from Vintrius' if it's mall-specific and that longstanding though. We'll have a dig.

It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else aside from the lake and the mall.
In my experience anyway. I don't know what Vintrius has to add to this.
If you need the specific location of where the zombies spawned on the water,
here's where it happend; https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.7878961810978506,0.08880389242594705,197.81359483314137

21 minutes ago, Patrick H said:

It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else aside from the lake and the mall.
In my experience anyway. I don't know what Vintrius has to add to this.
If you need the specific location of where the zombies spawned on the water,
here's where it happend; https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.7878961810978506,0.08880389242594705,197.81359483314137

Is the water aspect of it more recent?

4 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Went and checked if  I could replicate it and put it on video, it was easy.

Video

Hide contents

This is exactly what happens. But sometimes they disappear, or they appear ~5 seconds later.

EDIT: They would randomly spawn opposed to standing there before you looked at their direction.
I'll run a few tests myself.

Edited by Patrick H

12 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Not 100%, but I think this might be two things - a legacy spawn thing, and something (as in Svarog's vid) that's come in with ChrisW's engine tweaks. Will ask around.

I just did a few runs in the mall.
I'm not ''passing out'' anymore, and zombies appearing sporadically isn't as bad as it was before.
They're not actually spawning it seems, but that's up for further testing (which i will do)
But the issue that Svarog just recorded still persists.

Edited by Patrick H

2 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

I restarted Playing Zomboid only recently. Before this I last played build 32 or so. I tried build 37 for one or two days and did not notice the teleportation glitch. ATM I am on 38.5 and except non-disappearing player walls and roofs and the teleportation glitch it is great so far. As I started on 38.4 I cannot confirm when the issue occured for the first time.

As for the teleportation for me it happens on Survival mode. Played The First Week scenario for a few days and did not notice this, but it's probably to due to a lower density, slower respawn and higher stupidity of zombies that this isn't noticeable. On survival it happens quite often, as I explained before - you open the door, see a zombie in front of you disappearing (slowly fading away, like it happens when it is outside of your view area, I have the Eagle Eye perk), you walk into the room, close the door and look around just to see the room is empty. Feeling safe you start looting and then boom, you get bitten and there are 2,3 zombies around - door is closed,windows aren't broken. Happens everywhere, but mostly in bedrooms inside houses. Died like this several times. I will try to put this on video if I reproduce the issue.

As for the issue Svarog recorded I can confirm that this happened to me in the Crossroads Mall. I thought it was a glitch connected with my PC lagging for a moment and not processing stuff correctly. AFAIK the respawn timer is set to 72 hours on survival mode (please correct me if I'm wrong). I went to the mall, cleared a little looted what I could went to my safehouse and returned after around 48 hours and this happened in stores that should have been clear (I died of course) - this happened on both The First Week and Survival modes in the mall. Did not think it was engine related glitch.

Edited by Vintrius

A few noteworthy things i found out during the runs i did in the mall;

1. Fresh generated worlds seem to have empty malls. I think it takes time for the zombies to occupy the mall.
You might still find a hand full of zombies in total. But very few.
2. The issue that Svarog recorded does only seem to occur in stores, and not in the main halls.
3. If your character is tired, stay away from the mall for the reason above. You will enter a room that might look empty,
but due to your character's reduced awareness you will see the zombies far too late.
4. Your character no longer ''passes out'' in the mall.
5. Zombies don't actually attack the glass when bashing the fenced windows, but the game still plays the sound of glass getting bashed.
There are multiple places where there are fenced windows, this needs a different sound.
What i mean by fenced windows; https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.8437708602768466,0.14120146063286218,731.7026858213617
And https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.6796142527478767,0.11518827241077373,731.7026858213617

Edited by Patrick H

6 minutes ago, Svarog said:

I reverted back to 37.14 and that issue exists in there too so if you're talking about stuff done for Build 38, it ain't it.

What traits did you take in? I want to eliminate it being a trait bug - as people have mentioned Eagle Eye and tired character awareness etc.

8 minutes ago, Patrick H said:

A few noteworthy things i found out during the runs i did in the mall;

2. The issue that Svarog recorded does only seem to occur in stores, and not in the main halls.

I ran with debug info that tells me what room I'm in, can confirm, there seems to be no issue when just walking around the room the game ID's as "hall" but zombies don't generate in individual store "rooms" until the player gets close to them.

Thinking about it, I think game spawns indoor zombies when player is close to the building or room in question and it's not an issue that's generally noticeable but it's super visible in the mall because there are no walls separating individual 'rooms' and the whole area is big enough that the player can look into the 'room' where zombies would be spawned before he's close enough to trigger the spawn.

Once spawned they do seem to persist fine.

4 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

What traits did you take in? I want to eliminate it being a trait bug - as people have mentioned Eagle Eye and tired character awareness etc.

None.

Edited by Svarog

18 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Did some tests with Short Sighted, Eagle Eyed and going in after a pack of Sleeping Pills. No difference far as I can tell.

To me Zombies spawning in individual stores in the mall looks to be Proximity triggered much like I suspected.