RELEASED: IWBUMS Build 38.15

RobertJohnson

4 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Tried few times, always worked...

Could you send me your mod folder to see if there's anything weird in it?

I just now created yet another world with the same settings and it now is working and I spawned correctly in Bedford Falls but I don't know where. Sure I can send you that mod folder. If the folder is too big where should I send it?

Edit: The folder is 200MB zipped lol. Anyways can you try this. If you spawned on one side of the map, go to the other side and see if the rest of Bedford Falls is loaded. That is if you spawn on the upper northwest side go all the way down southeast to see if other part of the map is loaded. And vice versa.

Edited by PPanda0421
Troubleshoot

Just now, RobertJohnson said:

Looks right here..

I'll check with the modder so he can edit his mod for when 38 hit public (no need to compile all the spawn point now, everything is done automatically)

You mean everything looks ok? Well is there a workaround? As shown in my previous posts, half of Bedfall Falls (where my base is/was) is now missing in my world. How can you force the loading of that half since obviously the base game and map mod is no longer

loading everything? I would like to continue playing (aka testing). Lol, I built a recharging unit and solar generator dangit! Do you know how hard it is to find 16 car batteries? :).

Alright I was able to 'fix' my world. Not the best approach but it saved over 100+ hours of progress/gameplay. In a nutshell, I created a new world (with harder settings this time), copied over my character file and the map_xxxx_xxxx.bin files. This method doesn't always work though so it took several attempts. Wasted 4-6 hours today but I'd rather not throw away all that time I spent creating the base and all the (extremely resource-intensive) end-game Hydrocraft items. I still think there is an issue with certain map areas not always loading. Need more data though...

Any news on this ? Seems harsh to not be able to evolve our characters as we want...

I definitely think this is a bug.

On 29/08/2017 at 1:54 PM, Christophlette said:

My girlfriend and I decided to play with the new update. We are subscribed to the beta build since the start of 38. When the game loaded, our house was full of zombies albeit it was barricaded and such. That was a surprising problem.

But the problem we are encountering is that we can't earn any new talent points. The counter for the next talent point is above 40.000. Look at that : 

20170829135104_1.jpg

Edited by Christophlette
Forgot quote

A new bug has appeared with the last version pushed on the IWBUMS build.

When starting the game in fullscreen, the mouse is stuck in rectangle shown in red on the screen. Albeit the menu is shown outside this rectangle, I can still quit and click on the options etc... by going to the place they should be in the rectangle. I don't know if it makes sense to you.

20170830142434_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

A new bug has appeared with the last version pushed on the IWBUMS build.

When starting the game in fullscreen, the mouse is stuck in rectangle shown in red on the screen. Albeit the menu is shown outside this rectangle, I can still quit and click on the options etc... by going to the place they should be in the rectangle. I don't know if it makes sense to you.

20170830142434_1.jpg

That's just a feature of Window's new scaling behavior in a recent Windows update. It was fun to figure out, sigh.

Sometimes it'll go away just by closing the game and restarting it. Just don't click on the desktop while the game's booting up.

Otherwise, you might have to disable scaling on your GPU

Or, you may have to disable system (enhanced) scaling on the Compatibility tab for each exe in the installation directory. To do so, go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and right click on the ProjectZomboid32.exe file. (It's the red and black egg). Go into Properties. Then go to the Compatibliity tab. The option is near the bottom. Checkmark it then set the dropdown menu to System (enhanced).

43 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

Any news on this ? Seems harsh to not be able to evolve our characters as we want...

I definitely think this is a bug.

This one  I'm confused on.

The skill system is meant to have a predetermined end in which you can't grind past it. This is meant to prevent characters just g etting all 10s and ruining any chance of a playthrough.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post: Did it only require 40,000 exp after the update?

16 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

This one  I'm confused on.

The skill system is meant to have a predetermined end in which you can't grind past it. This is meant to prevent characters just g etting all 10s and ruining any chance of a playthrough.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post: Did it only require 40,000 exp after the update?

I don't understand the reason why you couldn't grind to get all 10s. Especially since it's not specified anywhere so it's very frustating to reach that.

But yes, the 40.000 exp showed only after the update. Before it was only 1000xp per point. If you look closer, the left character have 96 points in total (used and waiting to be used) and the right character has only 64 points. Seems odd.

PS : The solution you gave for the scaling worked. It's a bit weird it happened now and only on PZ. All other games are working as usual.

Edited by Christophlette

2 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

PS : The solution you gave for the scaling worked. It's a bit weird it happened now and only on PZ. All other games are working as usual.

I thought so at first, too, until Chrome randomly started changing the size of text and title bars on me . . .  

On top of that if you look in Device Manager, you might see two mice instead of one. Sometimes button output seeminly is directed to one and not the other. Makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

I don't understand the reason why you couldn't grind to get all 10s. Especially since it's not specified anywhere so it's very frustating to reach that.

But yes, the 40.000 exp showed only after the update. Before it was only 1000xp per point. If you look closer, the left character have 96 points in total (used and waiting to be used) and the right character has only 64 points. Seems odd.

Kind of pointless to reward points if they can't be spent on skills due to the exponential growth of the requirements per skill point used.

This might well be a fix that's not documented in the changelog, but i"m not the one that can answer that.

I trust you on the scaling problem. I'll keep that in mind if it happens to me too.

For the xp part though I'm sort of disappointed if I understood well.

In the game there is 210 spots to place skill points. Naively, I thought we could get 210 points to fill all of them. But what I'm understanding is that you are given a finished number of skill points when you earn xp. Apparently under 64 points if we compare to the screenshot I made.

I never saw anywhere it was written. And I still don't know the exact number of skill points you can have if it's not a bug so I'm feeling like the game is having an invisible barrier that's stopping me without reason.

But here is maybe not the place to give my point of view on this. So I'll go with your answer.

18 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

I trust you on the scaling problem. I'll keep that in mind if it happens to me too.

For the xp part though I'm sort of disappointed if I understood well.

In the game there is 210 spots to place skill points. Naively, I thought we could get 210 points to fill all of them. But what I'm understanding is that you are given a finished number of skill points when you earn xp. Apparently under 64 points if we compare to the screenshot I made.

I never saw anywhere it was written. And I still don't know the exact number of skill points you can have if it's not a bug so I'm feeling like the game is having an invisible barrier that's stopping me without reason.

But here is maybe not the place to give my point of view on this. So I'll go with your answer.

Originally, the system was based on 5 points.

TIS only wanted the player to be "really good" in 1-2 skills, with a few points in the rest.  You either chose to be a master of [two] things or a generalist, in other words.

Part of this was becuase the game's built on the concept of the player being an "average Joe." There's inherit limitations in that -- most people do one job and have a small handful of hobbies in life, the game tried to mirror that. This got turned on its head as more professions were added, though.

Might be able to find some of the old discussions on theindiestone.com/community Not sure which ones the devs pitched in on (or if they did) anymore. 2012 is long gone. :D

That kind of ruins the feel of progression if setting a points cap is something set in stone. Those limitations should apply to character creation and nothing else. Increase the experience needed to level, that's fine, but preventing people from learning new things is just a good way to give the player absolutely nothing to strive for in the late game.

That said, I have never encountered this cap and have almost reached a full character with a custom XP increase (this was a server for building) so I don't think such a cap exists unless it was made recently. If it was an update, it should be undone, since that's an unnecessary end to a problem that never existed that creates a new problem where players who have reached this cap can't learn new things, even if they are solely trying to learn it.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

3 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

That kind of ruins the feel of progression if setting a points cap is something set in stone. Those limitations should apply to character creation and nothing else. Reach the experience needed to level, that's fine, but preventing people from learning new things is just a good way to give the player absolutely nothing to strive for in the late game.

Kind of ruins the sense of replayability if you can be a master builder, electrician, metal worker, doctor, soldier, and everything in between in one playthrough, too. It then causes every character to be simply a container for the user's wish-fulfillment instead of what should be a unique character that you then role-play.

But I realise everyone's taste is different on this. The current norm is something more Elder Scrolls / Runescape / Minecraft like: a use-based system without any cap.

I'm more of a Fallout 1 system fan.

The issue is that there's no need for such a cap. It takes ridiculously long to grind to that point (or any close to that) as it is, it has never been reached for me on a regular playthrough as I usually die or lose interest long before that point. I'm not even sure if it's been done in a regular playthrough. If this is something new, it fixes a problem that never existed and creates another.

I'd rather live out the full playability of one character than be forced to move on to another once a cap is reached. There's still more content that can no longer be enjoyed in one playthrough.

If this is true, I hope it becomes a sandbox option to do away with it, because I just want to build my base without being told that I can't reach the top tier without having to come back as a new guy and learn a whole other skill when I had another character that was doing just fine.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

3 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

The issue is that there's no need for such a cap. It takes ridiculously long to grind to that point as it is, it has never been reached for me on a regular playthrough as I usually die or lose interest long before that point. I'm not even sure if it's been done in a regular playthrough. If this is something new, it fixes a problem that never existed and creates another.

Once you get used to it, It's not hard at all. This took me almost 4 months. I have 53 points allocated and 57 to go, and my settings are way tougher than survival. It can be done, and I agree with Enigma, it kinda ruins it. Furthermore, I think the amount of points we can already get is quite a lot for what he explained the devs want to go for. 

20170830110822_1.jpg

16 minutes ago, TheLeonBM said:

Once you get used to it, It's not hard at all. This took me almost 4 months. I have 53 points allocated and 57 to go, and my settings are way tougher than survival. It can be done, and I agree with Enigma, it kinda ruins it. Furthermore, I think the amount of points we can already get is quite a lot for what he explained the devs want to go for. 

20170830110822_1.jpg

I meant actually learning the skills, not gaining the points. You're at 4 months and have a lot to go.

I'm against limiting how much one can learn if there is no way to disable that. I too have reached a point where I have reached more points than I can use, but the challenge comes in actually learning the skill.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

16 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

The issue is that there's no need for such a cap. It takes ridiculously long to grind to that point (or any close to that) as it is, it has never been reached for me on a regular playthrough as I usually die or lose interest long before that point. I'm not even sure if it's been done in a regular playthrough. If this is something new, it fixes a problem that never existed and creates another.

I'd rather live out the full playability of one character than be forced to move on to another once a cap is reached. There's still more content that can no longer be enjoyed in one playthrough.

If this is true, I hope it becomes a sandbox option to do away with it, because I just want to build my base without being told that I can't reach the top tier without having to come back as a new guy and learn a whole other skill when I had another character that was doing just fine.

The grind's already there to act as the cap. The more points you assign to something, the harder it is to earn points in that skill. Unless you're willing to spend dozens, hundreds, and thousands of hours grinding just for a "sense of progress" you hit the cap pretty quickly.

The additional skill points are outright pointless if they can't be assigned to anything, as you can see by the above user having 96 additional skill points. Longer term players will have hundreds of these -- more than there are even skills in the game.

The easier solution, even in the current game, is just to have a few characters, each with their own specialty. The game allows this in MP, but not SP.

2 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I meant actually learning the skills, not gaining the points. You're at 4 months and have a lot to go.

Yeah, sorry, I should have explained further.  You can actually max skills fast. In my server that I play with friends I maxed 5 skills in 3 months, and had between 2 and 5 in most of the rest. It's not hard to gain and learn once you get the gist of how things work. It just gets grindy and repetitive, but It is totally doable.

7 minutes ago, TheLeonBM said:

20170830110822_1.jpg

If you look at your screenshot, you have 110 points in total and have seemingly reached the limit.

On my screen, my character (on the right) has 64 points in total. My girlfriend has 96 points. Why is there different amounts ?

I always tend to max carpentry. Well at least get it to level 7 than I am fine (I like stair building!)

If the game had working ladders I could just skip out on all the extra carpentry leveling haha. (Would probably still level it to level 7 though I like pretty walls.)

If I am doing really well and have not died I might start leveling / maxing farming.

Got rid of the rest of my post as I had misread something...

Edited by wsensor
Misread something.

4 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

If you look at your screenshot, you have 110 points in total and have seemingly reached the limit.

On my screen, my character (on the right) has 64 points in total. My girlfriend has 96 points. Why is there different amounts ?

Yep, that's the question.

Fast learner trait? Profession related to those specific skills?

It's still possible all this is a bug, after all.

I understand not wanting people to be able to max out everything but if they are forced to specialize in one section they can get screwed over badly in the end. Especially if recipes get added that requires higher levels in skills. (It's one thing in mp as people can work together but in sp it can be really annoying.)

This I'm totally OK with.

That's what makes different roles unique. You're screwed in certain ways and not in others.

It's just a matter of taste in the end. Maybe we should move this to general discussion . . .