New item sprites?

Sparrow

I want to make a mod where you can alter existing furniture items to make them aesthetically different. For example you have the plain beds now with no sheets, just a mattress. I'd like to be able to add sheets and pillows to them by upgrading them through a crafting menu, like you have to pick the item up or disassemble it, add some resources to it then finish it and set it back in the world.

The trouble is I feel like I can create a tileset, but I'm not sure how to make an item that would be placeable in the world. Likewise I'd like to make more pictures to hang on walls, decorative items, etc, to add more variety to the game, but IN ADDITION to the items that already appear in game, not as replacements.

Any ideas on how I might do this?

I can tell you one thing, you can't pick them up and upgrade them in a recipe way of doing it, because recipes can't use the moveable type of item. I posted about it before and the answer I got suggest they have no intention in changing that. You can change the sprite of existing furniture in the world, so your idea is possible.

2 hours ago, Soul Filcher said:

I can tell you one thing, you can't pick them up and upgrade them in a recipe way of doing it, because recipes can't use the moveable type of item. I posted about it before and the answer I got suggest they have no intention in changing that. You can change the sprite of existing furniture in the world, so your idea is possible.

Ok, good to know. Maybe I'll have to do it by building all new furniture from scratch. Better items will just have more complicated recipes.

I think you can make some tests with your original idea of upgrading existing furniture in the world. These must be specific for each furniture so you can start small, with a single bed type for example, and if you like the result you can then expand it to other types.

I can imagine it having tooltips showing the resulting tile just like the build menu.