What will the animals system in PZ look like?

blackteapie

ouch!

haha

I'm hoping migration patterns for deer and other wildlife tend to follow erosion. At first, the city spaces are largely devoid of deer... but as the grass and trees infiltrate, the deer can start migrating into town.

10 hours ago, thiosk said:

ouch!

haha

I'm hoping migration patterns for deer and other wildlife tend to follow erosion. At first, the city spaces are largely devoid of deer... but as the grass and trees infiltrate, the deer can start migrating into town.

I like that idea, but here is what I have to add. In single player with no npcs that's not that big a deal. But with more people there comes a problem. In the book One Second After (it's really well written, anyone reading this should read the book) an EMPs go off over most of the country, and the book follows a town near the east coast. Near the beginning there is plenty of critters wandering around to hunt, but very quickly the supply of animals runs dry due to over hunting. Should npcs become a thing, I suggest that there becomes a peak day for animals, like zombies, and then it declines from the player and npcs hunting all the animals to near extinction. It would actually be worse than the book if the zombies eat animals too, giving the cute little mammals an even lower chance of surviving.

As always, thanks for reading.

*CRASH*
WTF was that outside! It's only 3AM. A zombie or 2 must have wandered by. I'll be fine if I'm quiet. They'll be gone by morning.

*BANG*

They must still know I'm here. Don't panic. You'll be fine. Too anxious to go back to sleep now though. I'll read a book, try to ignore them. I need to figure out this farming business before it gets too cold.

*WALLOP*
Oh no! More zombies must have found me. I need to find out how many are out there. See if there's a way out.

timidly approach the window and open the curtain

August-10-2012-01-41-48-jjkkjeete.jpg

15 hours ago, OffitMan said:
*CRASH*
WTF was that outside! It's only 3AM. A zombie or 2 must have wandered by. I'll be fine if I'm quiet. They'll be gone by morning.

*BANG*

They must still know I'm here. Don't panic. You'll be fine. Too anxious to go back to sleep now though. I'll read a book, try to ignore them. I need to figure out this farming business before it gets too cold.

*WALLOP*
Oh no! More zombies must have found me. I need to find out how many are out there. See if there's a way out.

timidly approach the window and open the curtain

August-10-2012-01-41-48-jjkkjeete.jpg

HEART = MELTING

INCLUDE THESE, DEVELOPERS!!!

On ‎2017‎年‎5‎月‎30‎日 at 1:32 PM, thiosk said:

ouch!

haha

I prefer to have migration of wild or domestic animals, too.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:12 AM, TheWraithPlayer said:

I like that idea, but here is what I have to add. In single player with no npcs that's not that big a deal. But with more people there comes a problem. In the book One Second After (it's really well written, anyone reading this should read the book) an EMPs go off over most of the country, and the book follows a town near the east coast. Near the beginning there is plenty of critters wandering around to hunt, but very quickly the supply of animals runs dry due to over hunting. Should npcs become a thing, I suggest that there becomes a peak day for animals, like zombies, and then it declines from the player and npcs hunting all the animals to near extinction. It would actually be worse than the book if the zombies eat animals too, giving the cute little mammals an even lower chance of surviving.

This is a neat idea. Its important to note that in a low tech hunter gatherer lifestyle one individual needs about 10 sq kilometers of forage terrain. With basic subsistence agriculture that goes down to less than 1

White tailed deer almost went extinct because of over hunting a hundred years ago. hunting seasons had to be created because we can very easily kill everything- ultimately this tendency is what makes zombie apocalypse impossible- humans are really good at killing shit. See the punt gun, which had to be banned or else we wouldn't have ducks today. 

I ultimately think realistic lifecycles and reproductive rates would have to apply for wildlife only in mods. The game itself would probably use a "forage %" and populate the background with animals depending on the %, and then they'd build back up over time. Maybe you see them , maybe you dont, the likely hood of finding them is linked to the %, so you can overhunt a zone and have to spread out but it will grow back without directly modeling wildlife babymaking. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

That's a good idea! The game itself has a pretty complex way of determining how zombies spawn, per day. It would also be cool if the deer population declined in the winter, or maybe zombies eat deer too?

21 hours ago, Kuren said:

Hoping for all type of animals from wild to domesticated and farm. Hunting would be a blast and then having a farm could be a great asset if you can protect, manage and feed all the animals :)

Sounds like itd make late game survival harder. Sounds good to me! I can't tell you how many characters I just deleted because it got boring.

Man... i hope there will be bears.

Step 1; find a bear,
Step 2; Find a zombie horde
Step 3; Lure said Zombie horde to the bear
Step 4;?
Step 5; Profit.

We better be able to craft stuff from animal hides too.
That would add so much depth to the game.

I'm brand new to this forum, so this has probably been raised already. What if some animal breeds are susceptible to becoming zombified? Not ALL animals, just some that have an existing affinity to humans. Escaped apes from a private zoo in the area come to mind, but what about PIGS? There are farms in the whole game area, pigs are used for transplant and research material in medical experiments so must be close enough to humans for game purposes.

Imagine a herd of zombified pigs on the loose? Not that this should be something common, just a rare horror (being devoured by porkers).

cheers

Kim from Australia

• 4 weeks later...

I think only apes would be susceptible due to being so close to humans, I mean a lot of diseases and virus are cross species with us and Chimps for instance. Pigs may be used in Human research but they're completely different species. And lorewise we don't know what causes this...Also I think the devs said they won't add zombified animals, but I think Apes in a zoo would be cool and would be rare enough to not be something you see all over.

On 6/12/2017 at 2:46 PM, Kuren said:

Hoping for all type of animals from wild to domesticated and farm. Hunting would be a blast and then having a farm could be a great asset if you can protect, manage and feed all the animals :)

I want the chance to hunt down dogs and cats in the streets, hunting a cat to eat it really puts you in the "shit really hit the fan" mindset. 

16 hours ago, Cyrrent Eiledoll said:

Huh i want to go to a Zoo and free an Elephant ... and see him stomping through the Streets :D

Imagine having animals you could ride, like horses, for example? There are even some people that ride elephants, so one day you could fulfill your dream all the while having a front row seat.

Archived