Something special I've been working on for PZ <3

Rekkie

MoreCellz, a project which started about 10 weeks ago. It came about one day, because I was curious about the possibility to modify the existing map of Project Zomboid. Unfortunately only the developers can do this. Having had no prior experience or knowledge about the mapping tools or the design of the maps, I decided to learn how to make and build maps using the mapping tools. Once I had a decent understanding of the tools, the file formats, and enough knowledge to work with, a challenge developed in my head: "program a tool to open up the possibility to edit the Project Zomboid map".

With all that said and done, the project started out as a personal challenge and turned into something I did not expect. It became more than just a conversion tool, it has the power to manipulate the data and change it. It could be made to randomize the map, swap buildings around, move levels up or down (to make room for a basement?), randomize spawn locations (maybe you'd like to start on the side of the road, it could be anywhere!), and probably much more.

The project is a WIP, and for the time being unofficial (I'll post something official up in the Modding forum once the project is in a more advanced stage). It should be noted: It was never designed to discredit any map makers, which is something I do worry about if this tool is released.

There are a lot of people who unknowingly influenced the project; Sir Twiggy was my reason for buying the game (dandy individual, check him out on YT and Twitch), all the developers and moderators who visit the forums regularly (their passion for the game and community is outstanding), Blindcoder for making Map Project, (inc Turbotutone), MashPotato for making the map of PZ itself, RingoD123, Thutzor and Blackbeard for their excellent mapping tutorials (check them out), and many other people which need to be credited! A big thank you to you all =)

Thoughts and feedback are always welcome. Please note the interface design will change over time.

Exporting cell 35_32 (All the different windows of the application open for view -- Building Helper is a WIP -- designed to change the size of a buildings land plot and/or incorporate other buildings into a single building):

MoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_28-5-17.thumb.png.69f12356cc02bc24cd966b7cd0bf8401.png

The result: Cell 35_32, including all the buildings.

MoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_28-5-17_E.thumb.png.a984b5c32c0db30db6d2c7bd7ecad9f8.png

Could this be used to extract lot files from a map, i lost the original files and tiles i made for the Mc'donalds map i made due to a corrupt HDD but i would like to retrieve them from the steam workshop version so i can update it.

@tommysticks Cheers =)

@Neutralnz1 I had a look at your map, and yes it can extract your building from the lot files. However because your building utilizes 1x textures, the tool was not able to work with those. If you still have the tilesheets "Mcdonalds.png", "New Tiles.png", "New Tiles 2.png" I might be able to make it work. No guarantees though because the application was built around the notion of 2x being the standard. I've included a picture of what I mean about the missing textures.

Spoiler

Mcdonalds_missing_textures.thumb.png.cfa67356a96e3b955b540df027e92c5a.png

I no longer have the tiles unfortunately, shame as I'd like to re-use it but it took a while to make them.

Only problem I see with this tool however is people extracting buildings and re using them without permission might bother some people.

Though I'm currently making a city map and being able to use all of the vanilla maps buildings would save me a lot of work

It would be a real shame to see buildings and textures (even 1x) go to waste, it would be nice to bring them alive again.

You share the same concerns about discredit to map makers as I do, which is one of the reasons why the tool has not been released; however at the same time, I wanted to give something back to PZ. Tough choice!

Consider also, that mega maps could be joined together in a more cohesive manner (no more weird borders between cells/maps). All someone would have to do is edit the borders of each cell (and roads connecting them).

Any chance you could upload the .TBX file of the Mc'Donalds and PM the link to me, I may look at re-drawing them in 2x.

Most weren't too hard i guess, Just the sign at the front was made from scratch.

@OnceYouKillACow I do not believe the workshop accepts executable files, but a link would be provided on the forums.

@Neutralnz1 The building looks fairly janky with all the missing custom parts, and lacks the yard which you created. The building helper feature I'm currently working on should recover the yard by extending the building X and Y coordinates. I'll PM the building as it is right now, and you can decide if you want to wait for the building helper prototype to do its magic when it's ready.

On 28.05.2017 at 5:51 PM, Rekkie said:

It could be made to randomize the map, swap buildings around...

This.

Would it be possible for you to make a mod that swaps buildings every time a new game starts?

Like, you could divide buildings by size and swap buildings of similar size.

1 hour ago, Geras said:

This.

Would it be possible for you to make a mod that swaps buildings every time a new game starts?

Like, you could divide buildings by size and swap buildings of similar size.

Probably not without doing a Java hack on the class responsible for loading. Adding a function that let you call a lot/chunk by name would probably be necessary, so that it could be randomized in-game.

It's  how I did silly things like spawning a roof lot on top of a trailer a few years ago, though don't have the code anymore:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs4p6YTIYAAdLzC.png:large

EnigmaGrey answered the question better that I could, so I'll leave it at that. @EnigmaGrey I love the picture, always wanted a garden roof :D

Progress continues, and although I've not had much time this week, I'm happy the results of the building helper code. A much needed addition due to how buildings are handled in lot files, and some redesign of the core code to allow this all to happen.

For example, the Sunstar Motel (in the lot file) is split up into 13 buildings, so with the aid of the bhelper, it can be told that it's actually one whole building, with the ability to customize the desired capture size of the entire plot the building sits on:

MoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_3-6-17_A.png.36a1ac97e5a576e7aa9e78c86dc99ed8.pngMoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_3-6-17_B.png.377cc739ccbd091567b761eba675cb4a.png

The final results (almost 8000 tiles), and most likely a fairly close 1:1 reconstruction of the original with the capture size changed:

MoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_3-6-17_C.thumb.png.40f20c3123b1e802597335e2cd5632ec.png

MoreCellz_Dev_Snapshot_3-6-17_D.thumb.png.faa5b6c332e18c9b5dc914ec0390f79f.png

It's been told to capture the entire building, including the gardens and side parking. I plan to make a switchable option so it only captures the building itself and not the outside floor/vegetation, although I might extend the bhelper to add in a filter to capture selected outdoor tiles only (the user would have to input the tiles by selection). At some point I wish to extend it even future to build a database of all the buildings extracted across all cells/maps, it would contain plot/building sizes and other useful information; a randomizer could use this data. However I'd like to add some logic to the random picker, to include some basic checks of the surrounds and even include the option of picking custom user specified locations across the cells. This could branch out to include some sort of random road design, but this is just a concept for the time being which I may explore down the road. The main issue I have with randomizing is that if you desire the map to look visually pleasing, then this would most likely require substantial time and effort because the world is more than just buildings, the environment around the buildings would need to be considered. </end of random thoughts for now> :P

Edit: Would like to clarify that the randomization logic I'm talking about here is in regard to the tool itself, not a mod. A mod could be combined to add even more layers of differentiation. A new dynamic world each time, Diablo style.

Archived