Custom Buildings I made( Express your opinion)

Legoland99

Hello everyone! My name is Filip and today I've been giving some thoughts about the buildings I made these past two days and wondered what everyone thinks. I've always wanted Project Zomboid to have bigger maps, and if they can't do it right now, I might as well be the one to start doing some, am I right ? Anyway, since Louisville is probably still far from being done right now, I wanted to ask your opinion about the models I've made in the editor,  and if you like them :P Give me your thoughts about them. I made sure to add lights also, and to make every building passable. A big concern of mine is that I saw an option for a sewer made of bricks, so I decided to make a basement in the Bakery building. Can anyone tell me if a basement can be achieved once I add it on the map ? If characters/zombies can go below and into the basement ? Many thanks and I'd love to see the response, anyway, see for yourselves what I've done. :) (Keep in mind buildings may be subject to change)Pub.thumb.png.3eff2b94d637855ed9f5a44b102c088b.png5925cdb3b35c1_PubGrandFloor.thumb.png.dd8087c05e0c6a849bf31d4d565870eb.png

Pub Apartments (some of them).png

the buildings are really good i like the lil chimney you made on the last one

the office building is great but the exterior could use just a TINY bit of work in MY opinion (its really cool and realistic, but I like aestethics) such as having the ground floor be a tad bigger than the floors above or having a slight variation on the ground floor walls 

1 hour ago, zoeyflower said:

the buildings are really good i like the lil chimney you made on the last one

the office building is great but the exterior could use just a TINY bit of work in MY opinion (its really cool and realistic, but I like aestethics) such as having the ground floor be a tad bigger than the floors above or having a slight variation on the ground floor walls 

Sadly it's a bit hard to do variation for the ground floors (editor is a bit of a b***h ) and I'm still tinkering with some stuff).

As for the first floor to be a tad bigger, could you maybe provide me with an image ? I know what you mean, but I want to be certain.

1 hour ago, Damien Darkside said:

I really like these places, and they are definitely great, attractive buildings that I want to loot.

I feel like the office building should be more of a rectangle, being more wider to accommodate stairs and more cubicles but I do think it is a very good start.

This one was mostly a test run, but I'll be glad to work on a bigger one. Provide me an image or give more specifics and I'll gladly do it. Thanks for the positive thoughts.:-D

It looks like your Business Building is around 14 x 14, I would suggest it being 24+ x 14, keeping the stairs to one side and having the length be cubicles. 

Skyscrapers are so freaking tall because you can fit more cubicles going up than wide, sicne you would need more land to make wider buildings. However with Zomboid you are limited on height, so a building that is rectangular would be better suited for business.

commercial-property-insurance.jpg

i never did such offices but I figure what youd need to do is totally not have em be fully square but be rectangular instead, and try to switch up with the walls a lil to make sure its not just a rectangle of glass walls (some offices look like that irl but in pz it looks bland in my opinion) i whipped up some quick examples of what I meant to say

ignore the interiors as i didnt bother with em, your interiors are fucking amazing and i sure as hell couldnt do anything close to as awesome and officey as what you did 

officesexample.png

my opinion of course! and your office looks amazing and im just saying something like this would make them even cooler

25 minutes ago, Damien Darkside said:

It looks like your Business Building is around 14 x 14, I would suggest it being 24+ x 14, keeping the stairs to one side and having the length be cubicles. 

Skyscrapers are so freaking tall because you can fit more cubicles going up than wide, sicne you would need more land to make wider buildings. However with Zomboid you are limited on height, so a building that is rectangular would be better suited for business.

commercial-property-insurance.jpg

Your wish is my command. Already building it. Do you know the max height in terms of floors in project zomboid ?

18 minutes ago, zoeyflower said:

i never did such offices but I figure what youd need to do is totally not have em be fully square but be rectangular instead, and try to switch up with the walls a lil to make sure its not just a rectangle of glass walls (some offices look like that irl but in pz it looks bland in my opinion) i whipped up some quick examples of what I meant to say

ignore the interiors as i didnt bother with em, your interiors are fucking amazing and i sure as hell couldnt do anything close to as awesome and officey as what you did 

officesexample.png

my opinion of course! and your office looks amazing and im just saying something like this would make them even cooler

How did you change the windows in the first one of the left ? I see the grand floor has different windows then the windows on the first and second floor.  Also, for the second building, how did you make that wall space between the windows (the concrete part that separates them). Did you use the 'place wall' thing ?

1 hour ago, Legoland99 said:

How did you change the windows in the first one of the left ? I see the grand floor has different windows then the windows on the first and second floor.  Also, for the second building, how did you make that wall space between the windows (the concrete part that separates them). Did you use the 'place wall' thing ?

Exactly place wall and then chose whatever you wanna use in the exterior slot

And the trim I used on the first one at the first floor is located in "commercial_03" i used tiling

Just now, zoeyflower said:

Exactly place wall and then chose whatever you wanna use in the exterior slot

That moment when you gotta use something stupid to work. Like making an entire new room and then eliminating walls XD But how did you change the windows in the first building (the one on the left) ? Did you create an aditional room and then deleted most if it ?

26 minutes ago, zoeyflower said:

Haha nahh I also used the place wall tool for that XD if you want multiple different walls you just gotta use the place wall tool and chose what walls you wanna do in the exterior and interior slots 

Thanks for the tips ! Did you ever try to make a map ? And, can basements work ? .--.

1 hour ago, Legoland99 said:

Do you know the max height in terms of floors in project zomboid ?

Btw forgot to mention the max height is 8 floors if im correct, to be safe I personally always end with floor 7.

13 minutes ago, Legoland99 said:

Thanks for the tips ! Did you ever try to make a map ?

Im glad I can help, I did try an USA map and a The Last of Us map before but I never really find the freetime to finish any of those projects (I still work on and off on the USA map but theres just so much work involved with it)

14 minutes ago, Legoland99 said:

And, can basements work ? .--.

I was looking into that before and i think the only way to make em would be by making the entire map somehow have the ground at floor level 2, so you can use the actual ground floor as a basement / underground level. kinda like in the muldraugh train station, theres these lil grass pyramid looking things that have huge storage spaces inside. i was thinking you could make something like that for your entire town and then use the ground floor as basements. other than that they dont currently work as in being below the ground but the developers showed a youtube video of a test a few years ago so it may come in the future

Stairs without rails? Please dooooooooooont  :(

I like both options.

2 hours ago, Legoland99 said:

Your wish is my command.

I even probably left one square and one elongated.
In Moscow, I often see square business centers.

7 hours ago, Margera said:

Stairs without rails? Please dooooooooooont  :(

I like both options.

I even probably left one square and one elongated.
In Moscow, I often see square business centers.

The problem is that the rails in the editor are bugged and look really weird, that's why I won't probably use them :P

9 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

Btw forgot to mention the max height is 8 floors if im correct, to be safe I personally always end with floor 7.

Im glad I can help, I did try an USA map and a The Last of Us map before but I never really find the freetime to finish any of those projects (I still work on and off on the USA map but theres just so much work involved with it)

I was looking into that before and i think the only way to make em would be by making the entire map somehow have the ground at floor level 2, so you can use the actual ground floor as a basement / underground level. kinda like in the muldraugh train station, theres these lil grass pyramid looking things that have huge storage spaces inside. i was thinking you could make something like that for your entire town and then use the ground floor as basements. other than that they dont currently work as in being below the ground but the developers showed a youtube video of a test a few years ago so it may come in the future

Hmm. What if you build 9 floors ? Will the character not go higher or what ? .-. Also, you should still work on the USA map. Now with cars you can do a lot more ! Good luck, what editor version do you have/use ? 

6 hours ago, Legoland99 said:

Hmm. What if you build 9 floors ? Will the character not go higher or what ? .-. Also, you should still work on the USA map. Now with cars you can do a lot more ! Good luck, what editor version do you have/use ? 

The most recent one (build 36 or 37 i think?) im pretty sure if you build 9 floors the game will just crash.

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a dev testing out actual basements that were part of the map without manipulating the map height, etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember the dev who showed it off, nor can I remember where to find the vid (I think it was unlisted so I wouldn't have been able to find it anyway)

10 minutes ago, Brex said:

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a dev testing out actual basements that were part of the map without manipulating the map height, etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember the dev who showed it off, nor can I remember where to find the vid (I think it was unlisted so I wouldn't have been able to find it anyway)

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/dark-places/

Archived