DrivPZr

nasKo

koitus-712x462.jpg

Hey hey, here’s the news from Zombietown.

VEHICLES

We’re just finishing off a new update for the Public Vehicles Tech Test – details on how to join this can be found here. This will address some of the FPS degradation issues that testers have been reported, rebalance zombie attraction so it sits somewhere in-between the two levels we’ve already provided and added a few debug settings to let us play around with balance. It’ll likely go live tomorrow.

Last Wednesday we also updated to include Mash’s newer textures (seen above and below) which seemed to go down pretty well, alongside an improvement to draw order and woodland that’s less drive-through.

hungerjohnscreenie.png

Our thanks for all the great feedback and thoughts on the system that’s appearing on Steam and our forums. Likewise the reports of the various things that have been broken on the vehicles branch that have been getting in the way of general survival (loot tables wrong, light switches not there etc). We’ll address the latter, and then get into more gameplay development once the current tech and performance-centred work is complete. [Cheers to Hunger John for the above pic too btw].

BUILD 38

Over to France for the latest on the workings of our next IWBUMS beta release…

Hello RJ! So what’s up with this ‘corpse management’ stuff we mentioned last week?

“Essentially, having piles of rotting corpses around your safehouse could now make you sick. It will be a slow process that’s dependent on the amount of bodies near you, but the longer you stay near them, the more your survivor will feel queasy.

To avoid this, you should get rid of the corpses near your main base by burning them or burying them in our new graves. I’m also including a new sandbox option to let you determine just how much rotting corpses will repulse you and make you feel ill.”

We’re not going full ‘wash your hands, folks!’ but in general we’re going to add some hygienic sensibilities when it comes to zombies too. Could you explain a little?

“This is a system that will come into its own with the new animations/models when they appear, but it will be clear enough in-game currently that things like getting zed blood on clothing through melee combat and leaving it there will be a bad idea. If you have any open wounds the chances of it getting infected will be higher.

To a lesser extent clothing will get dirty and more ragged over (a long period of) time, with a similar system. This will have a super-gradual impact on wound infection, and will essentially mean that you won’t want to be wearing the same outfit for months on end as you currently do. This, again, will be built on once the new models are in but will work fine in the mean-time – and you’ll be able to switch it off in Sandbox options should you wish.”

You also mentioned some new sandbox options for when people start up new games?

“Yeah, here are some of the fun ones. This is not a full list! I’m still adding them!

• Zombie Construction Damage: Governs whether or not zombies can destroy player constructions and defences.
  • Multi-speed Shambling: Zombies can now have a “random speed” setting.
  • Day/Night Active Zombies: Governs whether zombies are more active during the day, or whether they act more nocturnally. Inactive zombies will be slower, and tend not to give chase. [If you fancy checking out something similar in the meantime then Nolan’s Nocturnal Zombies mod is great.]
  • Injury Severity: Increase and decrease the impact injuries have on your body, and their healing time.
  • Bone Fracture: Enable or disable broken limbs when survivors receive injuries from impacts, zombie damage and falls.
  • Darker Nights: A slider that will let you make nights darker. We’d like SP Survival to have darker nights, and this is a step towards it, though there’s still a lot of work with shaders to be done in the future to get it perfect.

So with all this you could, say, get a better I Am Legend feeling with a pitch black night and zombies sprinters only active during the night. I tried it, and it’s pretty scary.

If the community would like me to put any other Sandbox options, toggles or sliders into the game for them then please just let me know on the TIS forum!”

OTHER STUFF

As mentioned last week, we’d now like to officially welcome General Arcade’s Stas to the PZ codebase. First up he’ll be making a deep dive into our MP codebase to optimize systems and get to grips with some of the more complex bugs that impact on our server admins – and beyond this our current plan is to get him optimizing the main game to make the engine smoother so we can get to integrating our more built-up urban environments. He joins Chris (a new one) and Mark in terms of recent coder acquisitions, and everyone seems to be bedding down quite well. More to follow when their work starts to flow!

This week’s pile-up from the (perhaps) rudely-named Koitus. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is now open for chat and hijinks too. A general overview of the content of PZ builds past, in testing and upcoming can be found here.

Great to see smell finally making its way into the game. I hope there's good smells too, as touched on in this thread. Since zombies can canonically smell as evidenced by their sandbox options, I suppose other players won't be the only ones we have to worry about smelling our delicious stale bread and potato stew.

17 minutes ago, nasKo said:

This, again, will be built on once the new models are in but will work fine in the mean-time

How will clothing dirtiness and blood amounts on the player currently work while we wait for the full visual implementations in the animation build? Only thing I can think of is a reskinned soaking wet moodlet for blood.

Woha now thats a good Mondoid !

If we talk about darker nights a more light sources would be nice.

like : Flame barells and torches for our base. + some electricity powered lights fr those that use generators (and spend fuel in that way)

More types of flashlights: Big ones (the yellow one we have atm), that needs to be in hand but generate most light

medium one that we can attach with duck tape to shotgun or rifles.

and small ones (head lights) that dont provide much light but dont occupy important hand slot.

+ battery chargers (I think we need to benefit more those that use generators).

sickens for corpses is nice IF we make that sicknes more cruel. right now the only injury that I care about is fracture ... or bite.

8 minutes ago, Zorak said:

Woha now thats a good Mondoid !

If we talk about darker nights a more light sources would be nice.

sickens for corpses is nice IF we make that sicknes more cruel. right now the only injury that I care about is fracture ... or bite.

Where is the love for canndles though? The one item we cant place, yet in any case of emergency is indispensable to have a light source.

Also talking about sickness, i am wondering what type of sickness we are talking about here.

When you get dried blood in your clothes and after a while you get a wound, you would get infected or would get an infection? (Zombie vs Normal infection).

Also last and not least, IF the vehicle tech is ready to go because Jesus himself came down from heaven, touched the TIS dev work and everything works correctly, is that tech going to be merged into IWBUMS 38 or it will have its own IWBUMS?

19 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Also last and not least, IF the vehicle tech is ready to go because Jesus himself came down from heaven, touched the TIS dev work and everything works correctly, is that tech going to be merged into IWBUMS 38 or it will have its own IWBUMS?

When it's ready.

1 hour ago, nasKo said:

optimizing the main game to make the engine smoother so we can get to integrating our more built-up urban environments

Hoping this is in reference to the long awaited Louisville outskirts (Orell) :D Been looking forward to it for years and always assumed the engines limitations with tall buildings was holding it back :)

For anyone wondering, here's a old WIP teaser image of the area I'm talking about: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Louisville-outskirts.jpg

35 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Hoping this is in reference to the long awaited Louisville outskirts (Orell) :D Been looking forward to it for years and always assumed the engines limitations with tall buildings was holding it back :)

For anyone wondering, here's a old WIP teaser image of the area I'm talking about: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Louisville-outskirts.jpg

I concur. I'm quietly hoping the optimization involves subterranean parts of the map as well. Either way, it all sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, nasKo said:

So with all this you could, say, get a better I Am Legend feeling with a pitch black night and zombies sprinters only active during the night. I tried it, and it’s pretty scary.

If the community would like me to put any other Sandbox options, toggles or sliders into the game for them then please just let me know on the TIS forum!”

YES! This would be a great way to add more challenge for seasoned players like myself. I have a few requests for this. :)

1. Maybe give us the option to have a separate configuration for zombies at day and night?

2. When we hover over the slider controlling darkness at night, maybe render a frame of a character standing outside with a few world objects of different colors around them so we can see the effect of our settings without having to wait until night time in-game?

3. Maybe have the minimum darkness be the current setting (because it's realistic, but you can still see). For the max darkness, I want it pitch black. Tar black. So black, that it feels like the darkness is a solid entity that can only be broken by light sources. Black hole black. So black, you can't see a single texture or object outside of a small radius in front of your character (about as big as you can see zombies behind you). This would make flashlights so useful and make the night so scary.. 

4. Could you add a light attraction setting so that keeping lights on at night can be dangerous unless you have your curtains closed?

5. As others have said, it would be nice to have some cool new options for light sources. I know flame barrels were mentioned and something else. It would be great to have those, as well as torches, flashlights with a smaller radius, the rare flood light, and a few other improvised items.

5 minutes ago, BayCon said:

YES! This would be a great way to add more challenge for seasoned players like myself. I have a few requests for this. :)

1. Maybe give us the option to have a separate configuration for zombies at day and night?

2. When we hover over the slider controlling darkness at night, maybe render a frame of a character standing outside with a few world objects of different colors around them so we can see the effect of our settings without having to wait until night time in-game?

3. Maybe have the minimum darkness be the current setting (because it's realistic, but you can still see). For the max darkness, I want it pitch black. Tar black. So black, that it feels like the darkness is a solid entity that can only be broken by light sources. Black hole black. So black, you can't see a single texture or object outside of a small radius in front of your character (about as big as you can see zombies behind you). This would make flashlights so useful and make the night so scary.. 

4. Could you add a light attraction setting so that keeping lights on at night can be dangerous unless you have your curtains closed?

5. As others have said, it would be nice to have some cool new options for light sources. I know flame barrels were mentioned and something else. It would be great to have those, as well as torches, flashlights with a smaller radius, the rare flood light, and a few other improvised items.

3. I like this idea. In real life, light pollution is a lot more prevalent than you'd think. When I was 17 I went out to a relative's ranch in rural Ohio, and at night everything was astoundingly dark. I'd legitimately never seen the sky so dark. And Christ, the stars were beautiful. Anyways, even with it's proximity to Louisville, the rest of the game area should be rural enough to have minimal light pollution. It would also make headlights on cars, generators, and candles much more useful.

4. If I'm not mistaken, aren't zeds already attracted to light?

2 minutes ago, hunger john said:

3. I like this idea. In real life, light pollution is a lot more prevalent than you'd think. When I was 17 I went out to a relative's ranch in rural Ohio, and at night everything was astoundingly dark. I'd legitimately never seen the sky so dark. And Christ, the stars were beautiful. Anyways, even with it's proximity to Louisville, the rest of the game area should be rural enough to have minimal light pollution. It would also make headlights on cars, generators, and candles much more useful.

4. If I'm not mistaken, aren't zeds already attracted to light?

3. I've been out in the wilderness at night before too, and like you said, the only things that weren't black were the stars. 

4. I think I heard somewhere that they already are, but it hasn't made a big enough difference in my gameplay for me to notice. I'm basically asking for it to have a more noticeable effect.

3 hours ago, nasKo said:

You also mentioned some new sandbox options for when people start up new games?

“Yeah, here are some of the fun ones. This is not a full list! I’m still adding them!

• Zombie Construction Damage: Governs whether or not zombies can destroy player constructions and defences.
  • Multi-speed Shambling: Zombies can now have a “random speed” setting.
  • Day/Night Active Zombies: Governs whether zombies are more active during the day, or whether they act more nocturnally. Inactive zombies will be slower, and tend not to give chase. [If you fancy checking out something similar in the meantime then Nolan’s Nocturnal Zombies mod is great.]
  • Injury Severity: Increase and decrease the impact injuries have on your body, and their healing time.
  • Bone Fracture: Enable or disable broken limbs when survivors receive injuries from impacts, zombie damage and falls.
  • Darker Nights: A slider that will let you make nights darker. We’d like SP Survival to have darker nights, and this is a step towards it, though there’s still a lot of work with shaders to be done in the future to get it perfect.

All of this sounds awesome. I'm excited for 38 now!

That is, as a video of Nolanda, night zombies will be more active? Or just faster?

It also looks good to adjust the duration of the night time.

And yes, I agree with the author above, light should attract the attention of zombies, an open window with light should be like an alarm for a zombie. That's only in this case, zombies begin to climb into the house, even if there is no one there because of the light. I would have fixed it with the following condition - the zombie breaks the window if it sees in the house - the light and the human, or only the human (for example during the day)
That is, a simple light attracts attention, light and a person makes a zombie poke into a barrier

More mechanics, it's very cool!

2 minutes ago, Margera said:

That is, as a video of Nolanda, night zombies will be more active? Or just faster?

It also looks good to adjust the duration of the night time.

And yes, I agree with the author above, light should attract the attention of zombies, an open window with light should be like an alarm for a zombie. That's only in this case, zombies begin to climb into the house, even if there is no one there because of the light. I would have fixed it with the following condition - the zombie breaks the window if it sees in the house - the light and the human, or only the human (for example during the day)
That is, a simple light attracts attention, light and a person makes a zombie poke into a barrier

More mechanics, it's very cool!

You're right, I hadn't thought about the fact that most houses would be broken into on the first night because of that. You have a great idea for balancing it. :)

I just remember that such a problem with light was already at the game when a long time ago (maybe even now it's because I have not played for a long time and I'm waiting for the animation)
I remember when I first got acquainted with the game, I constantly curtained fucking curtains, and in the end everything was in vain :D

This is a very exciting update, team, good job.

Two points i'd like to raise:

1. Can dirty, worn out clothing make for some really shitty bandages? :):):)

2.  I love the idea of pitch black nights, but it would be really really really cool if there the lunar cycle were added for night, so even in all black conditions you can still get a full moon, occasionally. 

7 hours ago, Kuren said:

6 hours ago, OffitMan said:

I concur. I'm quietly hoping the optimization involves subterranean parts of the map as well. Either way, it all sounds good to me.

These are two things I'm mostly interested in as well. That and darker nights (hopefully with more lighting options down the road, although lights can be expensive to process if you have many of them). I attempted to make subterranean, but the main issues were zombie and tree spawning. I could dabble in the engine code and possibly mod something to fix these, but to be honest, I'd rather see them official.

1 hour ago, thiosk said:

This is a very exciting update, team, good job.

Two points i'd like to raise:

1. Can dirty, worn out clothing make for some really shitty bandages? :):):)

2.  I love the idea of pitch black nights, but it would be really really really cool if there the lunar cycle were added for night, so even in all black conditions you can still get a full moon, occasionally. 

Dark night with lunar cycles, could spring for an event. Similar, but not like the Blood Moon.

1. Ground and tree level fog on colder days/nights to compliment the darker nights feature (with the option to turn it on/off in gfx settings). A sprite based image which lingers, moves, fades, and covers tree tops. Night based fog could have a blue tint, and the day having white. Around the waters edge, or swampy areas too. Mapping wise, it could be zoned in much like foraging. This could help prevent it from entering houses, and if it does, it could be made to fade away. I respect that this is a fair bit more work than lowering lighting levels and may impact performance too much, but it's something which definitely adds to that 'spooky' factor, if it was to be added :)

Yes you're right, there is no such option.
But personally, I do not think that it is necessary, although we can have it in the game, if it does not cause difficulties to do so.

By the way about innovations, i am read an old post in which it was offered to give to objects property of penetration by cars.

Today i went into the game - the question is, is it so implemented or just a bug?

20170523090631_1.thumb.jpg.99dce8105d566ced92e5ab0ab8b9d916.jpg