Sounds in project zomboid - are important!

Margera

Hello!

I drove on new cars, tested the update and crushed the zombies.

I wanted to see the possibilities of the car. I opened the windows, moved to another seat, looked at the amount of gasoline, and then came to the radio.

I turn it on and I understand that there is no sound, but instead of a sound, the text line is running. Of course i know that this is a game style «project zomboid»!

But! But! But you can't imagine a huge desire to destroy the dead along with quality atmospheric music content! The one who watched the series called "walking dead" probably will understand me. 

Under the musical accompaniment, I don't mean any musical tracks, it can be simple melodies as well as those that are now involved in the game. Considering this idea, you can also add some simple sound for TV. It can be just a hissing sound with an illegible voice on the background. It can also be a variety of other extraneous sounds, like the squeaking of a microwave or an open faucet with water. (I confess, I don't remember maybe this sound is already in the game). The bottom line is, I think this absolutely does not break the general style of the game!

You know in the game a «project zomboid» in principle, not many sounds... But it was very important for me, to hear in the game the sound of broken glass, recharging weapons, screaming zombies or a distant shot. I also understand that you are busy with more pressing questions. Like the animation (which we are waiting for) or the same machines, but I ask you not to forget about the importance of sounds, this invisible factor plays a very important role!

I think that such a simple soundtrack, in my opinion, is simply necessary in order to feel this wonderful atmosphere of this wonderful game. Thank you, the creators <3

Sorry for my English :(
Yours faithfully, the guy from cold Russia.

Good sounds play a huge role in athmosphere, check out The Long Dark for example and compare playing it without sounds vs playing it with sound or something like that, just the added lil details like leaves being heavily torn around by blizzards or hearing those hanging metal objects clunking around in the distance while crushing through deep snow are unbelievably athmospheric and awesome.

Another game I really liked sounds wise was this multiplayer vietnam war game thats coming out soon, the guns in it just sound so damn good each single shot sounds like a beautiful melody thats just pleasant and replayable its not realistic but it sounds amazing and that also made a huge difference in the gameplay videos and immersion

A hissing sound with illegible voice in the background sounds really cool although im not sure about musical tracks (licensing + cost money) and melodies (thats probably just personal opinion) I kinda like how its just text, you can just sing along to it when youre really bored it leaves a lil to the imagination which doesnt hurt every now and then

Greatmazing ideas though Id like to see some of this ingame

I would love radio functionality that can be synced to a music folder in your computer. Sure I'll be playing music past 1993 but I want to have some tracks going on at home.

Plus it would be cool if music volume and intensity would draw in zombies. Pop a battery in a radio and play some Deadmau5 in an open field and have the horde be drawn out of the city to Ghosts n Stuff.

«Zoeyflower» 

Oh no, I did not mean any specific music tracks for which developers would have to pay a license.

I was referring only to the quiet sound of radio interference with a weak voice on the background, this voice would quietly hum any motive.

I think a license would not have to be paid in that case, because it would be impossible to understand what kind of song it was.

I agree on the pronunciation of the music text, it's not bad. But in complete silence, personally for me, it's a bit sad

Anyway in the main we do agree with you, cut most of the sound is not quite atmospheric :) 

«Damien Darkside»

I think if the developers have plans on the radio, perhaps such a function will be introduced into the game. But this again has a number of difficulties.

Firstly, I do not think that somehow the game will recognize the intensity and volume of the music itself that you can add from your PC.

This seems to me rly difficult to implement.

And secondly, if you for example listen to music with distinct human speech, it can disrupt the atmosphere of the game, because the game is in absolute speech silence and, for example, the TV in the game will clearly be deprived of a clear human speech. That is, there will be a human voice on the radio, but not on TV?

But of course it is not a problem, developers can add such a function, and for the atmosphere of your game only you will be responsible or only your musical tastes :D

Personally, I consider the absence of legible human speech - the right decision.

In the end, if some kind of musical sound, in my opinion, should be added, then it is the music that the developers deem appropriate for the game and without the obvious human speech.

When I say - without the obvious human speech - I mean... If someone played a fallout, maybe he will be able to understand what I mean, because in fallout you can hear light unobtrusive music, with a vague sound of a voice. In general, something like that.