Frustrating MP Experience

This is MP not SP, all my complaints and frustration go to the Multiplayer mode of the game

So a few days ago my buddy and I started playing PZ again after a long break, basically got him to buy this for mp about back in 2016, we played for 2 days and gave up again and I came back to find that nothing has really changed much.

The (MP?) aiming system I think we can all agree together is a gamebreaking pile of shit and needs an update ASAP (26 shotgun rounds, 26 misses with average 3 second aim time level 2 aiming and veteran skill which made sure i had 0 panic infront of the horde and wasnt exhausted either) I'm not sure if this is standard in singleplayer with the normal shotguns, but I didn't really find any servers worth bothering for that weren't filled up with thousands of mods and the one I played on had this huge gun mod with thousands of different rifles ammo types and attachments laying around in the gunstore and I went with a Remington 870 and 00 buckshot

It worked out with pistols I guess, many shots hit, about half were headshots and I was pretty content with it but the way shotguns worked really let me down

Secondly, frustrating me t h e m o s t though was this whole bullshit "Horde migration" thing where I could run off undetected to the most remote deep forest locations far away from any form of civilization, only to come back finding an entire town worth of about 2000 zombies were hauling off right past me to stop right at the spot I dropped a lot of my important gear off.

I know for sure no players were around or anything, even then I didnt hear ANY gunshots or sounds at all and I noticed that zombies often migrated to spots i was at ~30 seconds before in huge numbers, 90% of those ignoring me as I walked past.

Thing is, its impossible they could have seen me when all I did was sneak around places, lose huge hordes through zig zagging thru houses and forests and spend most of my time lowkey around forests far from any zombies.

I asked whats up with that and everyone just told me that thats the horde migration in the game, if thats true I really think this needs some change because it fucking sucks that I cant go anywhere to drop things off safely without being swarmed by huge amounts of zombies lagging my game down to slideshow mode.

I dont mean to diss the game or developers but this is what MP was like for me half a year ago and it's 100% what its like now as well, maybe I just need a whole MP tutorial thing or something to learn the ropes of how the whole online survival thing works... needed to get this off my chest as I lost about 3000 rounds for a rifle 2 guns I really love and my entire Character that I spend 2 days on levelling to a whole load of dumb stuff happening that likely shouldnt have happened...?

I guess id just love to see a server that has no mods and just the normal zombie settings except for having a bit more loot since its mp and having the days go for an hour or two instead of 30 mins.

Solemn condolences. It sounds like you did all the right things.

I like your post not because of enjoyment of your situation, but out of solidarity to the circumstances towards which it unfolded.

Let us remember Name Lastname, and remember they joy they brought us.  The ammo they brought us. The cans of bolognese under the setting summer sun.

Procetta mouche mori, e nomenae dominus spiritu sanctum. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

*shovel loads of dirt hitting a cardboard box*

3 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

This is MP not SP, all my complaints and frustration go to the Multiplayer mode of the game

So a few days ago my buddy and I started playing PZ again after a long break, basically got him to buy this for mp about back in 2016, we played for 2 days and gave up again and I came back to find that nothing has really changed much.

The (MP?) aiming system I think we can all agree together is a gamebreaking pile of shit and needs an update ASAP (26 shotgun rounds, 26 misses with average 3 second aim time level 2 aiming and veteran skill which made sure i had 0 panic infront of the horde and wasnt exhausted either) I'm not sure if this is standard in singleplayer with the normal shotguns, but I didn't really find any servers worth bothering for that weren't filled up with thousands of mods and the one I played on had this huge gun mod with thousands of different rifles ammo types and attachments laying around in the gunstore and I went with a Remington 870 and 00 buckshot

It worked out with pistols I guess, many shots hit, about half were headshots and I was pretty content with it but the way shotguns worked really let me down

Secondly, frustrating me t h e m o s t though was this whole bullshit "Horde migration" thing where I could run off undetected to the most remote deep forest locations far away from any form of civilization, only to come back finding an entire town worth of about 2000 zombies were hauling off right past me to stop right at the spot I dropped a lot of my important gear off.

I know for sure no players were around or anything, even then I didnt hear ANY gunshots or sounds at all and I noticed that zombies often migrated to spots i was at ~30 seconds before in huge numbers, 90% of those ignoring me as I walked past.

Thing is, its impossible they could have seen me when all I did was sneak around places, lose huge hordes through zig zagging thru houses and forests and spend most of my time lowkey around forests far from any zombies.

I asked whats up with that and everyone just told me that thats the horde migration in the game, if thats true I really think this needs some change because it fucking sucks that I cant go anywhere to drop things off safely without being swarmed by huge amounts of zombies lagging my game down to slideshow mode.

I dont mean to diss the game or developers but this is what MP was like for me half a year ago and it's 100% what its like now as well, maybe I just need a whole MP tutorial thing or something to learn the ropes of how the whole online survival thing works... needed to get this off my chest as I lost about 3000 rounds for a rifle 2 guns I really love and my entire Character that I spend 2 days on levelling to a whole load of dumb stuff happening that likely shouldnt have happened...?

I guess id just love to see a server that has no mods and just the normal zombie settings except for having a bit more loot since its mp and having the days go for an hour or two instead of 30 mins.

Let's take this point-by-point. 

Paragraph 1: I don't know anything about the aiming system in multiplayer, because, frankly I find guns to be impractical weapons and just use them as noisemakers. As for the "thousands of mods" thing, if it doesn't happen already, Zomboid needs to allow multiplayer servers to automatically push download requests to every client upon the first join, and check for updates when they join in the future. Sort of like source games do (the first that comes to mind is Garry's Mod).

Paragraph 2: Horde Migration is essential to the game. I think people often forget that the game is supposed to be challenging. It's supposed to get players out of their comfort zone and challenge them to survive things they may not be used to or comfortable tackling. It becomes easy for seasoned players like us to become frustrated when the game is harder to predict, or presents us with new situations after we've spent all this time memorizing how to play it. Running off into the woods kinda throws a brick in the intended gameplay experience. I would be thrilled to have that happen to my friends and me on my multiplayer server because once we cleared our area, the zombies never came back. If I'm not seeing zombies, I'm not having as much fun, so I have no idea how people enjoy themselves surviving in a cabin in the woods. Is it a bit excessive if there were even close to 2000 zombies walking around in the woods? Absolutely, but that's what horde migration is for and I wish there was more of it in-game, though within reason so my PC can actually run the game. Most of the time, once I've barricaded myself in a house, I hardly have to maintain my fortifications. I've only had them completely broken into once in all 250 hours of my playing. I need more zombie migration.

If you want a server with no mods, normal zombie settings, and slightly higher loot, make it! :)

Greetings,

I am sorry to see that you are not fully enjoying this game. Unfortunately I cannot say anything about shotguns (except that they used to work for me?). You probably encountered a bug, or simply misscalculated the engage distance which is pretty low, especially in the shawn-off shotgun.

As for horde migration, it is a mechanic of the game intended to keep things interesting by not allowing you to create "permanently safe" areas by killing all Zs around. By default, all zombie hordes should migrate daily (I belive it happens once every 12 hours by default), so you probably just have to wait a bit more for them to migrate again, or simply disable migration in the settings (if setting it to 0 does that, I am not sure). Also make sure your zombie spawining engine is ok, as days pass more Zombies spawn because of the setting of Population Multiplier (starts at a certain value and increases the amount of zombies overtime, thus spawning a few or even most of them on the locations you have cleared, because there is room there for that). Also make sure you have disabled Zombie respawning in general in the settings, or even dead zombies might respawn in your safe areas. 

Good thing about this game is it offers a lot of room for customization, so make sure you explore all the possible options to make your experience more enjoyable.

4 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

Shotguns almost always hit even with 0 aim.  Particularly ORGM mod shotguns.   Unless you were playing with the GUNZ mod.  I know shooting is super slow with it, not sure about the accuracy tweeks though for different classes of weapons.  

Zombie behavior depends on their settings and the traits you took.  And that comes down to tweeking until you find a right mix for your server.  My zombies are super tough, are plentiful, spaced out across towns/forests and have great eyesight.  So they are a real pain in the ass if they see anything, even lights on a house.   Giving the players quite a challenge especially if you take some of the negative traits like clumsy.   Problem is that city areas are hard to keep cleared.  So I increased the spawn time.  Still having problems in cities. So I changed the migration time.  I forget the setting name right now.  I think that was a problem that they were always on the move.   Trying to keep a balance between too easy or too hard is tough.  Especially with fluctuations in survivor population and location.  And some maps just have zombie hotspots for whatever reason regardless of settings

Most servers have 3hr long days in my experience.

The TLDR answer is not many players like vanilla servers.  With the exception of Good Old Dayz PvE.   Everyone has their preference on how they want the world to be.  And most of them aren't the same.  So the best answer is to start your own server and recruit some players.  But there aren't a lot of pz players out there and a lot of servers.  But the summer rush is around the corner. 

1 hour ago, Paul Redeker said:

GUNZ mod.  I know shooting is super slow with it

Pretttyyyyyy sure the server made me download that mod, that must have been it then.

3 hours ago, AceFromSpace said:

it is a mechanic of the game intended to keep things interesting by not allowing you to create "permanently safe"

Its not that, Im completely content and happy with the game forcing me to move around more and making sure i dont end up living easy for the rest of my game.

The problem I personally had was that as SOON as I move out of virtually EVERYWHERE id have the entire city of west point moving right to that point.

This wasnt a matter of "I spend 2 days there living content and suddenly zombies came" this is a matter of "i quickly dropped off a load of ammo and guns at a designated pinetree 900 miles away from civilization and the last sighted zombie, and the second I ran back to grab a screwdriver and something to kickstart my wilderness outpost I had an entire city worth of zombies all moving over to that exact fucking pine tree 12 minutes after sneaking for an excruciating time over there without any people around doin noisy stuff"

I observed it some more and indeed zombies dont just migrate - they moved to the exact fucking tile I was at 3 minutes ago, then they usually behave normally again for a while but sometimes it happens again they wait for a lil time and move over straight to the next tile I was at ~3 minutes ago, and thats with sneaking. The thing is, they dont follow me. I sneak past em, they dont see me, I look around 360 degrees for each 10th step i take and I keep seeing the zombie I sneaked by still idle on his exact tile where he was 5,10,20,40,80,160 tiles ago. Then hits the 3rd minute and like clockwork 90% of the zombies in the city head for the tile i was at as soon as they move. As soon as they move, I walk over to a nearby store and look over and see more than half of west point 'migrate' over to the til I was at when they started moving, MANY even completely IGNORING me when i walk right past them or hit a zombie next to them.

I was thinking maybe its lag since there werent any servers with players online that had a desirable ping for me, but surely a ping of 120 wouldn't cause THAT to happen especially when im sneaking, nimble, and have not a single zombie noticing me as I move past them? Im from the states and I prefer american servers to play on with my buddy all the time (live in europe) and in every single game I ever play the servers get me 100-150 ping and I never have delays like that happen, infact they usually run quite smooth and no one ever really notices bad ping neither do I ever notice any lag on my end, so I really dont think a 120 ping could make zombies delay by 3 minutes especially considering that when it usually doesnt happen (its not every 3 minutes, it seems to have some kinda cool down where the zombies are "normal" again and behave the way they should) when the zombies I usually fight work perfectly and behave just like in singleplayer to me and my friend.

I do have a negative zombie spotting trait, conspicious I think, which I needed to make sure I dont get any considerable negatives to me for a positive trait such as being unable to read or see anything just so transfering nails or a melee weapon to my backpack doesn't take me the entire winter to do, but I'm pretty sure its not the trait thats doing that because zombies dont spot me when I sneak by, they only ever move to me at an about 20 feet distance when i walk and about 30 feet when I sprint, and they see me when I hit other with fireaxes and such, but they never see me when I sneak and I usually sneak by them just to have that happen to me where the entire town moves over to my exact previous position when they started moving.

I have no idea if its a mod or if its a server setting I played on Redboid.

That was frustrating but the most enraging thing surely was that I fired 26 rounds into a huge horde with a shotgun, standing still for 6 seconds at some point before the fast shamblers came too close for comfort, and I fired off the shot and not a single zombie was even knocked back. The thing is that there are no vanilla guns or such, the only mod is GUNZ and the only other server is one called Deadly Pixel I think but I played on that once and an admin was pretty xenophobic and racist on it + it wasnt like redboid where I could loot stuff, on that server it seemed like loot respawn was turned off cause every loot container I searched was empty.. that was like half a year ago dunno if they changed anything and I also dont know if that server uses GUNZ and lastly those two are the only servers I see with more than 2 players online and the ping is baddish for me. So redboid is pretty much the only choice I have and that one runs the GUNZ mod which seems like it doesnt really work and has those zombie settings that are hellbent on screwing me over i guess?

sorry for the novel

3 hours ago, BayCon said:

As for the "thousands of mods" thing, if it doesn't happen already, Zomboid needs to allow multiplayer servers to automatically push download requests to every client upon the first join,

That didnt really bother me too much I was rather bothered over how theres no ability to just play PZ on any server, if you want to meet any other players (and if you dont I have no idea why youd play MP in the first place) you only have the choice between those two servers which are both loaded with mods. I was thinking it would be cool if the developers just provided like an official PZ indiestone server that had the pure vanilla experience with just the pure vanilla map and the pure vanilla guns and items and crafting recipes etc...

I dont mean to diss anyone if you like mods and if the community likes mods and if the server hosters like mods its all cool (theyre the owners and pay for it so its their say and not mine and i respect that) but it generally sucks that the only multiplayer experience im able to get / find right now where theres a chance I may actually meet another human at some point is filled with mods and maps that cover most of the wilderness in more civilization zombies and concrete. Theyre all cool and I appreciate the hard work and effort people put into them, but it just sucks when I feel like I found a good spot to store stuff in far away from cities and after the tenth tree I just suddenly run into a street filled with a horde thats suddenly now pursuing me forcing me to sprint all the way over to nowhere for 5 minutes again.

I dont have the knowledge nor the freetime and neither the money and computer to host a server, but I would be infinitely grateful if ever a vanilla PZ server maybe with just a single gunmod that isnt GUNZ would pop up at some point with an active community of players, pvp and pve and normal zombie settings.

1 hour ago, zoeyflower said:

I do have a negative zombie spotting trait, conspicious I think, which I needed to make sure I dont get any considerable negatives to me for a positive trait such as being unable to read or see anything just so transfering nails or a melee weapon to my backpack doesn't take me the entire winter to do, but I'm pretty sure its not the trait thats doing that because zombies dont spot me when I sneak by, they only ever move to me at an about 20 feet distance when i walk and about 30 feet when I sprint, and they see me when I hit other with fireaxes and such, but they never see me when I sneak and I usually sneak by them just to have that happen to me where the entire town moves over to my exact previous position when they started moving.

I have no idea if its a mod or if its a server setting I played on Redboid.

That was frustrating but the most enraging thing surely was that I fired 26 rounds into a huge horde with a shotgun, standing still for 6 seconds at some point before the fast shamblers came too close for comfort, and I fired off the shot and not a single zombie was even knocked back. The thing is that there are no vanilla guns or such, the only mod is GUNZ and the only other server is one called Deadly Pixel I think but I played on that once and an admin was pretty xenophobic and racist on it + it wasnt like redboid where I could loot stuff, on that server it seemed like loot respawn was turned off cause every loot container I searched was empty.. that was like half a year ago dunno if they changed anything and I also dont know if that server uses GUNZ and lastly those two are the only servers I see with more than 2 players online and the ping is baddish for me. So redboid is pretty much the only choice I have and that one runs the GUNZ mod which seems like it doesnt really work and has those zombie settings that are hellbent on screwing me over i guess?

That didnt really bother me too much I was rather bothered over how theres no ability to just play PZ on any server, if you want to meet any other players (and if you dont I have no idea why youd play MP in the first place) you only have the choice between those two servers which are both loaded with mods. I was thinking it would be cool if the developers just provided like an official PZ indiestone server that had the pure vanilla experience with just the pure vanilla map and the pure vanilla guns and items and crafting recipes etc...

I dont mean to diss anyone if you like mods and if the community likes mods and if the server hosters like mods its all cool (theyre the owners and pay for it so its their say and not mine and i respect that) but it generally sucks that the only multiplayer experience im able to get / find right now where theres a chance I may actually meet another human at some point is filled with mods and maps that cover most of the wilderness in more civilization zombies and concrete. Theyre all cool and I appreciate the hard work and effort people put into them, but it just sucks when I feel like I found a good spot to store stuff in far away from cities and after the tenth tree I just suddenly run into a street filled with a horde thats suddenly now pursuing me forcing me to sprint all the way over to nowhere for 5 minutes again.

I dont have the knowledge nor the freetime and neither the money and computer to host a server, but I would be infinitely grateful if ever a vanilla PZ server maybe with just a single gunmod that isnt GUNZ would pop up at some point with an active community of players, pvp and pve and normal zombie settings.

Conspicuous will have zombies attracted to your position.  So will clumsy.  As far as them going to your last location, I'm not sure on that.  I'd have to look on the forum but I think someone did a really in depth break down of each trait.  I'll see if I can find it. I know some of the players on Dead Pixels have abandoned it this season because the trait makes the zeds hone in on them.  (Best eyesite zeds)

I know the modder of GUNZ nerfed a lot of the guns as far as shot rate and accuracy.  Not sure if and why they would do that to the shotguns.  You'd have to ask him. 

I'd love to hear why you think I'm xenophopic and racist.  Since I work in probably one of the  the most diverse workplaces on the planet. Lived in around 8 countries around the world in the last 15 years not to include traveling for leisure.  I also have advertised the server on non english speaking zomboid communities and until it became too much of a cost, ran a global chat auto translator for the server.   We still have a very diverse player base.  So much so that part of our new chat system will allow among other things, different specific language chat rooms.  And I've answered countless post like this one with absolutely not knowing the race, religion or creed of the poster.

No loot?  Are we sure we are still talking about the same server? The complaint was there was too much.  So this new season that started last friday, we use a mod that is like an ORGM lite.  Less high powered player killers.  We also have PvE areas with safehouses.  So lots of people group up in those communities to play together. 

Enigma used to run vanilla servers called SpiffoSpace.  There was a PvE and PvP version.  But I doubt you'll see that again. You catch a lot of shit from players when a you run a server.  There is always someone not happy with something.  So I think he's pretty much done with it for the near future.

There aren't a lot of gun mods.  GUNZ is the newest one in a long time.  ORGM is great, needs some tweeking but the mod author is busy with life.  It happens.  Then you have  Quickguns.  But I'm not sure if there are any compatibility issues because it was made many builds ago.

I dont think it was the trait though, im 95.6% certain its a glitch because the zombies didnt follow me, but they followed my exact position the second theyd all start moving and at that point theyd ignore everything else and just migrate over to the tile I was at, theyre not following me either, its like some kinda "highest priority waypoint" is set for them at the tile i was at considering most of them even ignore me when i sprint RIGHT past them and just keep moving. And thats at random intervals, it just happens out of nowhere when I'd sneak past others from a 2 yard distance they would just have all zombies in half of west point walk over there.

I never said you were xenophobic and racist? I was trying to say that I played on some Pixel server (Deadly Pixels i think im bad at remembering these names sorry) and I was playing with a friend and we just found tons of broken forks and butter knives all over the floor, to be fair that was fairly quick judging by me I guess cause we just looked into 3 buildings finding virtually nothing in any containers and

Thats when in the chat some admin was talking about something along the lines of *hazy memory* "trump is the embodiment of the typical fat lazy and useless american, I cant wait to see that shithole burn down in his presidency" someone was responding about how it would effect the rest of the world and he just went something like "i dont care about south america or whatever they can just rot with em" idk though but he may just have hated the entire world or something. Whatever it was, I didnt wanna play on a server with an admin saying that kinda stuff in public chat especially not as a partially north and south american myself so we left it maybe we just had some bad luck with the first 3 buildings, its not that we found NOTHING like I said but I was trying to say it as in nothing useful (food and self defense) it was all just stuff like stacked soup bowls and rotten food

I noticed that the indie stone developers usually get a shit ton of hate by a lot of people but I dont think they should stop good things because of that theyre still kicking with this game after all and providing amazing content despite all the people hating on the development times and calling them incompetent, they should just focus on all the people who love their content and love them and this game im not saying they should stop listening to any constructive criticism but some people do just flat out attack and insult them without providing ANY criticism at all and they should just forget about them and not let em break their hearts these devs have fire in their soul but sometimes it feels like they havent build up a big shield seperating their emotions and personal feelings vs outright hate and bad intentions I guess 

i need sleep

1 minute ago, zoeyflower said:

didnt see those, well guess it was him then after all although im still not 100% sure cause i recall that there were 2 admins in the chat

He is the only admin of server, maybe was not Pixels then ?

37 minutes ago, Paul Redeker said:

Enigma used to run vanilla servers called SpiffoSpace.  There was a PvE and PvP version.  But I doubt you'll see that again. You catch a lot of shit from players when a you run a server.  There is always someone not happy with something.  So I think he's pretty much done with it for the near future.

Case in point: you can't beat the committed assholes. They have far, far more time to spend breeding drama and slamming you and the people you work with while complaining how unfair it is that it eventually gets back to them, that they don't 'let it go.' They'll even create several competing servers and seek companionship in like-minded players.

But no, Paul is at least not xenophobic or racist. At least, not from what I've seen.

I know for sure it was a server with dead and pixel in its name, very very sure.

i dont quite remember the names although paulredeker does ring a bell now that i think of it but i still dont feel like that was him, i just remember the horrible stuff he said and he had (ADMIN) in his name 

The only person on Dead Pixel with [ADMIN] would have been Paul Redeker he is literally the only admin lol, are you sure wasn't jokes or something? 

3 minutes ago, Runda said:

He is the only admin of server, maybe was not Pixels then ?

I found it. Discord public chat logs are forever on the server.   He called me racist because I called my fellow Americans, fat and overconfident.  Haha. It was Political discussion that the server was having in December.

I remember way more than that and im sure it wasnt in december but around like august or october

were like multiple sentences, targeted not only towards americans pretty sure they went off about another country too

what i remember 120% crystal clear is that it was far more insulting than that, cause it had me tilted for quite a while and im pretty sure it wasnt you either

I remember way more than that and im sure it wasnt in december but around like august or october

It was December ..  It was in reference to a political discussion where I said Americans are fat and overconfident.  I'm American.  I've lived overseas and seen "Asshole" americans out and about in other cultures.  But I'm not gonna drag the thread out off topic anymore.  

Hm guess thats it after all then and I just got really pissed about it

sorry for the mean stuff i said there then I guess I just came in after a bad day and caught the wrong convo at the wrong time

But im still pretty sure that stuff like that was said on a different server then and I mixed them up, but totally didnt mean to make you or dead pixels look bad i just personally dislike any kind of politics or whatever brought up in games but thats 100% me personally i probably look like a huge cunt now

Just now, zoeyflower said:

sorry for the mean stuff i said there then I guess I just came in after a bad day and caught the wrong convo at the wrong time

But im still pretty sure that stuff like that was said on a different server then and I mixed them up

Hey your good :)  I just dont wanna see people yelling at eachother over nothing ^^ 

Also, I def wanna see about this 3 minute thing if it really works cause that will be game changing for me lol

Just now, zoeyflower said:

But im still pretty sure that stuff like that was said on a different server then and I mixed them up

Not a bid deal. Text meaning can get blurred especially when you are running from the undead. 

hey real quick id like to say im not like a trump fan when i said "Hes not all that bad" i mean that people are starting to take every single motion he makes and i dont wanna look like i supported anything degoratory he ever said about minorities and women, but people are literally saying hes a 2nd hitler or worse than hitler and im just worried that people are demonizing him out of proportions but i dont support him as a person and dont agree with all the bad stuff he said and did and plans / planned to do

sorry for making this politics stuff but i dont want people reading that chat thinking i wear make america great again caps to work and such

NOWWW that thats off my chest and we got that whole thing solved lets get back to the clockwork tile magnet zombies which I experienced in redboid

* im playing again and ill see about dropping conspicious to see if zombies will still act like that

TURNS OUT its the server settings, I had the exact same experience without conspicious as i had with it

7 hours ago, zoeyflower said:

I was thinking it would be cool if the developers just provided like an official PZ indiestone server that had the pure vanilla experience with just the pure vanilla map and the pure vanilla guns and items and crafting recipes etc...with an active community of players, pvp and pve and normal zombie settings.

That existed in the summer of 2014, actually, and the servers were in low demand. They all died within a year or less. I was actually an admin for SpiffoSpace, the official PVE server, hence my current signature (which I've been too lazy to change to reflect that I'm no longer on duty).

Archived