Tree Regrowth

1 hour ago, count_zero99uk said:

Do trees grow back to areas you have chopped them down, do they spread?

Just concerned about wood use and limitations, i know Trees take a long time to grow in real life but just wondered about in game.

I believe they do now thanks to the erosion feature, with growth rate modified by erosion speed settings. At least that's what I've read.

5 hours ago, count_zero99uk said:

Do trees grow back to areas you have chopped them down, do they spread?

Just concerned about wood use and limitations, i know Trees take a long time to grow in real life but just wondered about in game.

They do, but it takes a good deal of time. You probably won't see it until you get really good at the game.

Early:

6EFEEC80EB280AD24C28D1BA5BBCD121B9C1CF46 (1366×705)

Late-Game (about 2 - 3 months in): 

7219989B7A9840D80326CBFD8A411A444976F6B6 (1366×705)

On 5/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, BayCon said:

7219989B7A9840D80326CBFD8A411A444976F6B6 (1366×705)

ooo how do you feel about the fact they're adding corpse burial and sickness from corpses? This place might just be completely unlivable in the next versions ;)

1 hour ago, thiosk said:

ooo how do you feel about the fact they're adding corpse burial and sickness from corpses? This place might just be completely unlivable in the next versions ;)

Unfortunately, I no longer have that save, but I've been making several attempts recently at recapturing that depressing late-game grind that I had grown to love while playing that save. As for my thoughts on the upcoming corpse burial and sanitation system, I'm torn. On one hand, I absolutely love piling up bodies day after day, and I wish that they would add a decomposition system complete with textures (torn skin, boils, and eventually skeletons) to balance this type of thing out, but on the other hand, I think it will add another interesting element to the game. What I would be more interested in seeing in place of or along with the system RJ is working on is the stench of all of the dead corpses acting as a horde in the sense that more dead corpses attract more walking corpses.

When you've played the game as long as some of us have, even after the extreme difficulty overhaul in one of the builds in the early 30's (I think it was Build 32), it becomes hard to find new challenges just by playing naturally, so you kind of have to create your own. An example of a challenge I had to create for myself was choosing probably the largest house in the game to survive in, which was also a good distance away from any vanilla spawn point. Here's a screenshot of the map, marked with my journey...

Screenshot (332).png

The red circle on the right is the place I chose, and the red circle on the left is the place I spawned (I spawned at an NPC camp in the Survivors mod.) For many reasons, I thought the building was amazing. So, I challenged myself to walk from that spawn to West Point, fill two bags up with carpentry gear from the hardware store to fortify the base (that alone is usually hell), and make the walk all the way to my house. I stared at the face of death on many occasions when my character was extremely tired, very hungry (I crammed my character full of tools, and had to ration what little food I could carry for the journey), fatigued and exhausted, unable to lose hordes, or find a place to sleep for the night, but it was amazing. I hadn't felt so challenged in PZ in ages. On top of that, the area was more heavily populated than I anticipated, so I had to clear out the area around the home while my character suffered from most of the issues above just so I could sleep in it for the night and recover from the trip. Then a few days in came the helicopter event which I foolishly decided to go to sleep after it started. The stakes were suddenly heightened to a level they never could be when surviving in the heart of either town where your base is just a few minutes away from any vanilla spawn point in that same city. I had spent 3-4+ hours of my real life executing this plan to make it to this house, and I wasn't about to let it go without a fight. 

And that is what I wish to gain from Build 38. Between the darkness sliders, the settings for active/inactive zombies, and this new system, I want new challenges. With this system in particular, I want it to increase contact with zombies in the late-game over time and maybe punish players like me who are too lazy to get rid of the piles of corpses around their base. Hordes attract more hordes, and I want the dead-dead to attract more living dead, not just make my character sick (as mentioned in the most recent Mondoid). 

EDIT: Oh, and the house looked great, had a great 2-floor layout, and was unique (I couldn't find it copied and pasted anywhere else on the map). Here it is on The Project Zomboid Map Project.

Archived