we need the old servers back

salu

i am starting to miss the old servers with no mods pvp/pve on and it kept my ping balance, nowadays we get servers with mods that completely ruins the entire game and increases lag everywhere and makes the game unrealistic and crashes it and there are some servers that have infection off which is no fun and how do u even call that a zombie apocalypse since no zombie cant hurt you? just pisses me off, i say please remove the mods in the servers, i think mods should be used on private servers which ppl use for them and their friends, i am requesting the game developers to bring back the official servers with no mods please.. i miss my game..

btw 32 build was the best build i have ever played probably much better than now cause there are no servers to play now.. I REPEAT REMOVE THE MODS! peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, a lot of people won't want to play w/o mods because of slow development over 5 years. I can't - I can't even tolerate SP w/o the the Survivors (NPC) mod. I was going to suggest "The Good Ol' Days" but then I saw that they had transmission off. Still, although I think that you're in a minority, there surely have to be only folks that want vanilla + transmission. Maybe the developers would consider a second "official" server but don't count on that! (very busy) The PZ community can come through though. 

Maybe change the title of your post/or repost to "Looking for server w/ no mods but w/ transmission?" Something like that.

Blunt? Blunt:

Server and inter-server drama ruined hosting a variety of servers for me, personally. I won't be volunteering my time again with official servers, as trying to separate the ethical dilemma of my position with TIS, moderation of the various communities, and with what was right for those servers was just the opposite of fun, even if it was largely self-inflicted. I wouldn't wish it on anyone else on the team, either.

Fortunately it is  pretty easy to start servers these days, if anyone wants to have a go at it themselves.

I also enjoyed the vanilla servers, however, Hydrocraft mod adds ease and depth for long term goals. Servers with hydro and a map or more added always drew more players, which is of interest typically to all players on a server and likely many admins and hosts.

Very fair minded post by Enigma as well. I take nothing back from my own history with various servers but can completely understand that particular statement of perspective. Well worded EG, thank you for that.

I was the head admin of New Dawn off and on for 4 years. I've been there with the vanilla game,  and I've been there with tons of mods. EG is right. The reason I don't work on that server right now is due to the politics of it.  I got tired of having to constantly fight between the admin and the players. Honest  to god, it just isn't worth the headache. It's a job that you don't get paid for and one that NEVER ends.

Lets be honest here, the player population of this game isn't huge. It's a game that's been in Alpha-Beta for at least the 4 years I've played. So the few servers that ARE left are in general vying for the same player-base, many of which all have different wants out of a server. So admin add more "features" mods to make their server stand out - and they manage to hold a players attention for a few weeks, but that's all they are doing. Holding the attention of a mesh of players until either new game features come out, or until a new server appears with the next "big" thing or different feel. 

I think honestly, we're going to be stuck in this cycle until the game gets complete, and new fresh players come into the game. The best thing that could happen (IMO) is if the game officially added people to the payroll to oversee the online communities. Bring the players together onto 3 or 4  official servers, a vanilla one, an RP server, and one that tries all kinds of mods, and works to build up the community. 

55 minutes ago, Pann said:

It's a job that you don't get paid for and one that NEVER ends.

Probably will never end for me. Same people, same servers, same hateful gossip, disdain, and bewilderment that I haven't simply forgotten.

All for creating a few servers. :P Long reaching consequences, it seems.

59 minutes ago, Pann said:

I think honestly, we're going to be stuck in this cycle until the game gets complete, and new fresh players come into the game. The best thing that could happen (IMO) is if the game officially added people to the payroll to oversee the online communities. Bring the players together onto 3 or 4  official servers, a vanilla one, an RP server, and one that tries all kinds of mods, and works to build up the community. 

Lot of it's just a lack of new players. PZ's not been in as many sales the past year as it was the years prior. Normally a single weekend or week would swell the public server population, until players got bored of public (or the game itself) and moved on. Without that, servers just compete for the same people, as you say.

Not getting animations out and finally being able to market the game proper was also a blow, since many quit hoping to make a comeback when they were released. Hopefully, with the new hires and cars finally being in public testing, this'll be a bit better of a year.

54 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Not getting animations out and finally being able to market the game proper was also a blow, since many quit hoping to make a comeback when they were released. Hopefully, with the new hires and cars finally being in public testing, this'll be a bit better of a year.

I agree. I'm currently working on getting everything  prepped for another server as I  speak. I think I'm just a glutton for punishment. I figure every time NEW features come out, there will be a surge, so I want to have a server ready to go at that point. But in the meantime, I'm not rushing right this moment. I still follow and check in, but I'll be patiently waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah the Animation tease did not help. Also the amount of people who have had Negative MP Experiences who then leave a really bad review can't help the games sales either.  I think official servers would be good It could save on all the neg reviews on steam 

Edited by Hillsie

55 minutes ago, Hillsie said:

I think official servers would be good It could save on all the neg reviews on steam 

That's why I originally started the servers. There just wasn't enough variety in servers and new players often had a bad experience just jumping into them randomly.  There were quite a few negative reviews and, at the time, it seemed like an easy problem to solve.

After a month or two, the various Spiffospaces were very successful, but then the jealousy and hate started rolling in. People banned from the servers  for acting like douchebags and ruining the fun for others couldn't let it go and insisted on playing anyway, often  making use of save editing or Lua-exploits to damage the servers and kill people.  Groups that lost members to the official servers became jealous and tried to get players back by ruining people's experiences or harassing them, while insisting they should be allowed to play.

Even Redboid, a server I kept going out of my own pocket for the Reddit community inspired similar ire among a small group of assholes.  A few banned people even formed two different servers (one failing in about a month); a server purely out of hate towards myself and the developers of the game surviving, all while waving the banner that it's somehow "unfair" that there were official servers in the first place.

While this is a case of a small minority of players ruining it for everyone else, it's just untenable to maintain due to the amount of drama it causes in the community .

Redboid has gotten pretty chill though. Discord is a great addition, people communicate more and there almost isn't any hate going on (at least that i know of and i play on there a lot). I remember the days when we had only reddit for communication, it was not enough, led to misunderstandings and overreactions. And of course the server has evolved a lot. I'm sure thanks to a lot of work you put into it Enigma <3. Hacker problems get solved so quickly i didn't even notice one in the last months and there are some very skilled "community players" on the server who are very friendly and helpful towards new players, trouble has almost no chance to arise. Overall the community idea is growing and evolving as far as I can tell from my years on there. Special events are getting better and better, too, admins learning more and more.

On 15.5.2017 at 11:28 AM, salu said:

i am starting to miss the old servers with no mods pvp/pve on and it kept my ping balance

I get what you mean, I'm having a very cool experience on the Russian server "New Hope" atm. It is frankly quite an adventure for a non-russian speaker, but I am getting innovative with using a notebook, strg+c and strg+v (copy/paste) and google translate. Their server is really chill, most of it vanilla with only some selectively chosen snippets from mods. No loot respawn and a quite high player number really let you appreciate finding and maintaining an axe. I have a house with some friends in the woods, and every action we take is planned and meaningful, every wall in our house has its purpose. With all the vanilla feeling and always a clean floor (because items on the ground get deleted on server restart) it is my "chill in the woods" server when I take a break from Redboid. Being an EU player i really appreciate the ping, too. Redboid can be extreme fun, New Hope intense survival and long-term wise.