More Meta Events/Ambient Sounds?

Brex

I know what you're thinking. "Is this guy f##king nuts? He wants MORE meta events?! MORE helicopters to ruin your perfectly good safehouse? MORE screams and gunshots to make you leap out of your seat after it's been relatively quiet for almost half a g#ddamn hour?!"

Well, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about more variety.

Currently, there are four "meta events" in the form of ambient sounds: screams, gunshots, dogs barking, and the infamous helicopters. Those all make sense, but shouldn't there be more? Even for a zombie-filled wasteland, Knox County is just too quiet sometimes. Here are some additional ambient sounds that might liven up the environment a little: 

1) Distant explosions. Maybe somebody left the stove on, or an engineer got creative with a can of hair spray.

2) Jets flying overhead. Military jets dropping bombs or napalm on the Exclusion Zone. Makes sense, right? We've seen that sort of thing in countless zombie movies and video games. Why let the helicopters have all the fun in destroying all the hard work you put into your safehouse? 

3) Sirens. Maybe this'll be a thing when NPCs make a return, but I'd have to imagine that in the early days of the outbreak, there'd be a LOT of calls to 911 about bites, violence, sickness, that sort of thing. So it would stand to reason that, for at least the first few days and nights of July, the Kentucky air would be ringing with Hi/Los and other sirens of the Knox County Emergency Services.

4) Emergency Broadcast System. Not to be confused with the far-better-known Emergency Alert System, which didn't enter service until 1997. Still, it stands to reason that some of the TVs and radios left on during the Knox Event should be playing some kind of alert tone at some point, particularly when the nationwide curfews begin and sh#t really starts to hit the fan. 

5) BRRRT

I dunno. Just a thought. 

I definitely agree there should be more "events" but it's important to remember that the current "events" like the screams and gunshots were put in as placeholders for NPCs and to help move zombies around before migration and re-spawn were added. Can't wait to see all the NPC related event's that they have in store for 1.0 :)

I have encountered

• Various gunshots
  • Male, long, and drawn out screaming (though I have found dead bodies here and there so maybe they spawn in?)
  • Same but female
  • Dogs barking (which always scares the shit out of me)

Aaaannnddd I can't think of anything else.

Explosions would be nice. In a thread that had people wanting more dead survivors (such as those seen already with bleach or booze bottles) I suggested a few events that would combine the two, meta events and staged scenarios. My suggestion was an explosion in the distance with a dead boy, burnt ground and a note that says "For the last time Kevin, flip the switch, pull the pin then throw it, don't pull the pin first!" or something along the lines of that.

Back about builds 26/27/28 I could have sworn there were definitely ambient sounds of jets and distant artillery explosions, but they'd sometimetimes only play upon loading the save, even after surviving 1+ months (maybe that's why they were removed?).

• 5 months later...

I was thinking about things to suggest adding to the game, and this was one of the few things I could think of that wasn't suggested before until now. I definitely love the meta-events..along with the random scenarios they added with survivors, and the bleach suicides. It really makes things come alive, and keeps you on your toes reacting to the different situations. The more meta-events, and random scenarios the better..I found in a lot of games it loses its luster the more you play, so the more variety the better it adds to the game in my opinion. The ones we have are still awesome by itself though, but the more the better. Something that will add to gameplay, and realism..in that you will have to constantly react and make decisions.. Off the top of my head, something like a npc being a dimwit on the 2nd floor of the grocery who locked the door playing music loudly not heeding the dangers of the zombies below. Or also, the sound of a car speeding by much like how the helicopter event functions.

maybe some airplanes sounds flying over such as standard airplanes with propellers  , fighter jets, large military planes and passenger planes

emergency vehicles driving by   ,car crashes and car alarms

Edited by Tails
adding car alarm and passenger planes

30 minutes ago, NebNebber said:

The trouble with the screams and gunshots is that during the late game stage, 6 months to a year of survival, every house looted and crossed off the map, who the f×ck is that screaming and popping shots? Kinda breaks the immersion at that point in the game.

Well that's why they should become less frequent as time goes by, especially after the Exclusion Zone fails and the outbreak goes viral.