Vehicle Model DMC-12 DeLorean

Thezera

2 hours ago, Damien Darkside said:

It would be a cool reference, especially since it takes place in 1993 and I would guess there could be a few kicking around.

The Delorean did not sell well at all and were not high value collector vehicles until much later.

It would not make sense in a setting stand point to include them. They add nothing unique or interesting from a gameplay standpoint either as the cars were slow, heavy, sat two and were not efficient.

If they wanted to add 90s supercars that would be much more likely to appear in the wealthy areas of Kentucky, and also iconic for movies, the Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa  would be far more likely and far more recognizable.

Everybody knows Kim is just cranky because he can't get a Delorean in North Korea. :P

Though, TBH, they didn't sell well, but with the release of Back to the Future they did become somewhat of a collector's item for the hardcore film nerd.  Oddly enough, There's a guy who lives a few miles from me that has one he's restored and kept more or less looking like it's mint condition.  It's a damn weird thing to see sitting on the road behind you, lemme tell you.

I am sure having a 0.01% spawn chance or whatever would be a neat little Easter Egg to the game.

Maybe that could be a neat little survivor quest, collecting rare and uniquely skinned cars that are "similar" to the original fictional design. All the skins have an extremely low chance of spawning and they don't have any actual statistical value over being "neat". Not every car will spawn in a game.

• Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo.
  • KITT from Knight Rider (doesn't talk obviously)
  • A red sports car that has labels on it like Lightning McQueen
  • Ghostbusters Ecto-1
  • James Bond’s Aston Martin
  • Simpson's station wagon
  • Black Beauty from "The Green Hornet" (no guns obviously)
  • Interceptor from Mad Max
  • The General Lee (or maybe not since people freak out over seeing the Confederate Flag, it is 1993 however, people didn't care as much back then)

I am sure that apart from the Lightning McQueen (which you can slap on any sports car spawned), all cars were made before 1993. I checked on the Black Beauty since I wasn't sure, it was a 1966 Imperial Crown hardtop.

Due to their rare spawn, it could be justified as a "collector" that owned them or a fan that loved them. There are a bunch of high income neighborhoods, so cost is totally not a factor or some, especially if it is an imitation.

37 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

There could be licensing issues..?

As long as the game doesn't come right out and say the car is a DeLorean (or Ferrari, or Pontiac, or what have you), and the in-game model is fudged just enough (no emblems / minor details like grills and headlights altered), then I don't think vehicle licensing would be a problem.

When I was modelling the cars I was concious about licensing as I've worked at companies that have had to deal with this although it wasn't my job to model the cars there.

At one company they aimed to change the car by 30% before sending it off to the lawyers for verification. At another they changed 5 points/areas in order to get around licensing.  All were quite nebulous in what was different.

As someone's mentioned, naming them by their proper name is a big "no, no", the same goes for when I modelled the new guns (which will hopefully appear withe the anim build).

It had crossed my mind to do some "known" skins for some of the models but for now you'll just have to hunt down Spiffo vans!

Archived