How Will Vehicles Change Your Playstyle?

BayCon

2 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

1000% this, We need vehicles to actually be usable. It would also be nice if the gun sounds got nerfed a bit both in actual loudness (My ears are bleeding) and in zed draw distance at least a little.

It might be because I have extremely high-quality headphones, but I don't need to play with my volume so loud that gunshots hurt my ears in order to hear everything else. I learned the hard way not to crank up the volume in a game to hear ambient noises. I've learned to just turn up the ambient sound slider if needed. Either way, that's beside the point. I'm not against the hordes of zombies that guns attract, because I live in the country and hear those things popping off from time to time and I know they can be heard from quite a ways away. I'm against the lack of alternatives. There are no bows, crossbows, or ranged weapons outside of the guns, and there isn't even a suppressor. Even if you made it as rare as the sledgehammer or rarer, I think there should be suppressors out there somewhere to reward those who search hard enough for it. However, the developers have said that will not happen, so your best bet is nolanritchie keeping his suppressors mod up to date.

For vehicles, though, I think usability is essential for this game. Guns are completely optional to a character's survival as of now, but due to the sheer size (and how realistically sized this map is) and quality of immersion that this map provides, it would be ideal for every survivor to have the option to attempt to obtain and maintain ownership of a vehicle. I think guns will only start to approach the level of necessity to survival when NPC's are added to this game. Even playing nolanritchie's "Survivors!" mod, I found that it was pretty much required for a player to carry a gun and tweezers at all times when I had a playthrough with great potential ended by a group of Marauders with shotguns, forcing me to run into the heart of West Point and grab tweezers to remove bullets from my body, and ultimately leading to my untimely death. 

You guys make me want to advocate for quite the opposite of decreasing sound radius of vehicles or guns when throwing around the world 'useless" for this stuff.

Aside from the performance dip, you have a much faster method of travel that protects you from the undead and allows you to carry 10-20x the amount of loot a backpack does. You have to earn that through figuring out ways to make the game's mechanics work for you and solve the challenge presented.

Vehicles are pretty damn simple to figure out in anything other than Six Months Later.

18 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You guys make me want to advocate for quite the opposite of decreasing sound radius of vehicles or guns when throwing around the world 'useless" for this stuff.

Aside from the performance dip, you have a much faster method of travel that protects you from the undead and allows you to carry 10-20x the amount of loot a backpack does. You have to earn that through figuring out ways to make the game's mechanics work for you and solve the challenge presented.

Vehicles are pretty damn simple to figure out in anything other than Six Months Later.

If us voicing our opinions makes you want to keep the amount of zeds cars attract where it is then something is seriously wrong. Cars are very awesome to have but if they stay where they are now then like guns there will be no point in using them (other than getting every zed in the map to follow you)

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Get ready for an essay because I don't know how to express my thoughts in a concise manner lol.

I tried for 15 minutes going at max speed to lose the zeds on my tail so my character could sleep. I was on the road in the middle of Muldraugh and WP, and was trying to get to the NE end of the map going all the way from Rosewood. I rounded corners, made sharp turns into open fields, waited until no more zombies were coming into view ahead of me and turned off the vehicle to try to hide, but escaping them was impossible. And since my framerate was getting lower and lower throughout the entire journey, it seemed like I was keeping the attention of most of the zombies I had on my tail.

I understand you are closer to the developers than we are and this can be kind of personal, because I'm sure you've been there through their struggles and long nights and it can seem like we're attacking them or slinging feces on all of the hard work they've done on these things for the past few years, but I can assure you that's not where I'm coming from, and while I don't want to speak for Sly_Wolfy, I don't think that's where he's coming from either.

There are two main points here.

1. Cars aren't so loud in real life that they would attract the attention of everyone in a 3 - 5 block radius, EXCLUDING that rare jerk with the sports car who wants everyone to hear his engine, or someone who's speeding like crazy. They need balance. Perhaps cars with larger engines, or cars going at higher speeds would attract more zombies, but their current radius of attraction is too massive (and seems to be controlled by no other variable than whether the engine is on or not) for them to be useful.

Perform this test. Step 1: Spawn some bags and drop them on the ground. Step 2: Fire 3 - 5 shotgun blasts in the middle of West Point. The area with the joined shops. The bleeding heart of West Point. Step 3: Try to grab some loot from at least 5 stores. Step 4: Try to fill the bags. There you go. You've simulated what it's like to try to use vehicles as a moving storage container. Except the difference is that the vehicles attract zombies like the helicopter event. I've tried leading zombies away after the helicopter event and it is extremely, extremely difficult. I would lead maybe 50 away, come back, and see they had already been replaced. The vehicles have a similar effect.

2. The dip in performance that massive hordes cause will have negative effects on gameplay. Since PZ is not very graphically demanding, it has allowed players like me with normal computers to play it with decent or even good performance without having to compromise settings. Having hordes like that constantly following you is going to make the game annoying for some with mid-to-low range PC's, and unplayable for people with computers like mine.

Oh, and using guns as actual weapons in this game is like taking out a loan for 10 thousand dollars every year to try and help pay off your debt lol. For every zombie you shoot, you have the potential to attract anywhere from 10 to 100 more. That's useful for drawing zombies away from the inner city to loot it, but as a weapon, it is impractical. I only have 250 hours. That's pretty small compared to some people in this community, so I admit that there's something I might not be seeing, but where I stand now, I would only ever use a gun as a noisemaker unless I'm running nolanritchie's suppressor mod. Even then, RNJesus is not friendly to early level gun users even if you take beta blockers and stand still for 1 - 2 seconds before each shot. It took a whole 15 round magazine to try to take out 3 zombies with a pistol. I was using the suppressor mod, but still.. The ol' trusty hunting knife/screwdriver/kitchen knife don't miss their 1-hit kill unless you do. I want to have mostly myself to blame for missing attacks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and after driving a car not even one block in the center of West Point, I was able to find a mostly deserted city when I drove away from the hordes I drew in. The only zombies remaining were the ones that could not reach me for one reason or another, but even they were trying. It's too much, man.

Edited by BayCon

1. You can hear cars for miles in reality. Ever been out to the country on a quiet night, or walk a hiking trail 6-7 km from a road way? You hear them. They're quite loud.

Your test just seems to indicate you don't know how to use a gun to distract zombies to loot . . . If the same logic is being applied to cars, I can see why you're having problems. I'll try and make a video for you later, using vehicles, if you want. Last one got eaten by that crash on quit.

2.  Either TIS needs to fix performance if they want this level of attraction, or they need to turn it down. The current build isn't indicative of performance.  You have the option of sandbox and turning down zombie hearing .etc if your computer can't keep up; that's not going away.

3. Attracting zombies via guns is the point. They're partially an idiot trap, as explained.

The issue of luring zombies out of a city is going to happen at all sound levels, aside from silence. You're the only game in town.

On 2017-5-9 at 9:47 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Cars can also act as barriers for zombies.

I am going to give a wild guess and say that eventually zombies are going to be able to climb over vehicles and jump to the other side of them in case there is no other way around?

19 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The issue of luring zombies out of a city is going to happen at all sound levels, aside from silence. You're the only game in town.

I cant imagine the clusterfuck that the first weeks are going to be when the NPCs are out and able to drive vehicles and also use shotguns, its going to be impossible to move around (which is going to be fun.)

Edited by Blasted_Taco

41 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

1. You can hear cars for miles in reality. Ever been out to the country on a quiet night, or walk a hiking trail 6-7 km from a road way? You hear them. They're quite loud.

Your test just seems to indicate you don't know how to use a gun to distract zombies to loot . . . If the same logic is being applied to cars, I can see why you're having problems. I'll try and make a video for you later, using vehicles, if you want. Last one got eaten by that crash on quit.

2.  Either TIS needs to fix performance if they want this level of attraction, or they need to turn it down. The current build isn't indicative of performance.  You have the option of sandbox and turning down zombie hearing .etc if your computer can't keep up; that's not going away.

3. Attracting zombies via guns is the point. They're partially an idiot trap, as explained.

Honestly the loudness of the cars could be a sandbox option, That way zombies can still hear the player as they normally would.

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yes, they are new and are invariably going to be tweaked. However currently, they don't seem to have a lot of practical use to me. That's even including cars being indestructible at the moment, which I'm sure they won't always be. If they were to stay as they are AND be destroyed? Forget about it. Like guns their usefulness is very limited, and the primary effect is not the actual intended use of the object.

The chief undisputed effect they and guns both have is attracting large numbers of zombies in a very short period of time. There is nothing they do better.

With cars, the hope is to be able to not only use them for storage to necessitate fewer safe house return trips, but to expand the range that you can visit in a reasonable (and less boring) amount of time. But personally, unless you're playing with deaf zombies I just don't see how they have use when you can gdrive one and in less than 30 seconds you can literally have hundreds and hundreds of zombies bearing down on you. Since zombies respawn, you can never really clear an area so it seems like it will always be a big problem. They get bogged down in hordes fairly easily, don't often kill (or even disable) zombies and if you get stuck against a group, odd are very high that you're dead the instant you exit the vehicle.

Risk vs. Reward is often paramount in deciding if a player will utilize a certain feature and right now the risk feels like it vastly outweighs reward.

With the current gun and vehicle system, NPCs are going to be a cluster eff of epic proportions, and having an AI deal with that kind of fallout? Good luck. Let alone the effect on players.

I'm very happy to see vehicles make an appearance in the game and while useless may seem harsh for such a long awaited feature, the word fits if their usefulness is perceived to be very low. Being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian doesn't help the game evolve, while constructive feedback does.

Edited by BoogieMan

5 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

I'm very happy to see vehicles make an appearance in the game and while useless may seem harsh for such a long awaited feature, the word fits if their usefulness is perceived to be very low. Being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian doesn't help the game evolve, while constructive feedback does.

Same thing is going to happen with chainsaws when they are added, people are going to try to kill zombies with them and are probably going to get themselves killed and using it is going to be suicide because of the noise (i still cant figure out for the life of me how to barricade windows and doors with planks without attracting the attention of a horde)

Right now the only use i can see for cars are moving between very far away bases (all those damn farms that took 4 or 5+ minutes of walking aka all the god damn morning of the game) to the main city.

But before doing that, you could try to use another car to clear a part of the city, hop in, drive into whatever place you want to go, example from downtown of WP to the bridge of WP, get out of the car, back to downtown though the forest, loot what you need, get in the car and drive back to farm.

However i am sure the devs will nerf the car sounds since a lot of players are complaining about it, still when people say "cars are not loud", you are comparing your daily lives with the live of the game, where there are no machines, no humans, no anything else other than low moans here and there, if you ever have been in a ranch, you can hear a car passing though a road miles away. 

Edited by Blasted_Taco

I came back to the game fairly recently, found it AWFULLY addicting as I did the last time I played it (a good thing, in this case... well, if you ignore potential social life issues) and found out that a lot of good work has been done on it. I had just recently played through a very intense and rewarding situation with my latest survivor, died 4 months after the "First Week" start, poor guy gave up the ghost after being scratched by one of those I call the "door prank zombies". So, well, I took a shot at this new build with vehicles. I'm, at least partially, with those who call for a nerf in loudness when it comes to cars. I get that it's a VERY delicate balance issue and that it will probably have to be thoroughly fixed and thought upon before even thinking about adding NPCs, but I've noticed that feedback is definitely important when it comes to this kind of game-changing additions. Just wanted to share my two cents here for that reason.

I think cars should have a localized damage system, something like "I just hit a lamppost, my right forward tire is practically done for" or "A dozen zombies punched through the glasses as I was sleeping inside the car and now there are shards lodged into my arms and chest"... that sort of thing to make them more or less "balanced" and interesting to play with and around. And just to make them a viable thing to use, not just some kind of "added flavour" in a game that already has a powerful atmosphere and, in my opinion at least, doesn't need much more in that department they should be very useful when used correctly. Of course they should have large drawbacks, but I'd rather see them overused than underused, especially since the map is getting... really, really large! You should have to, for example, find a compatible piece of machinery to fix a broken transmission if you want to keep using your car. And have at least some knowledge in Electrical+Metalworking (or the need to find magazines) to actually fix the issues that might arise from driving through an horde or hitting a dumpster.

Talking about balance... the zombies (infected) of the Knox event are basically "Night of the Living Dead" or "World War Z" zombies, so... firing a non-silenced shotgun would probably be used just to distract them to save someone trapped inside a shelter or to make looting a place easier. I agree that guns are pretty much useless for everything but distracting hordes. I think it should be like this. I mean, they are zombies... they are attracted to noise and they're basically as intelligent as an ant. Well, less than that, actually. Sure, craftable or lootable silencers should be a thing, very rare but still a thing, imho. 

With cars, though, you add a whole new dimension: no more walking from West Point to Muldraugh to look for an axe or a sledgehammer (or the opposite for magazines/books) as long as you have gas cans and a relatively safe place where to park the thing after you're done with it. I have a rather simple (maybe not that simple to actually implement, though...) solution that should make cars much more effective while still retaining a lot of drawbacks. I live in a rural area not unlike Kentucky. And sometimes, especially when there are no birds chirping, no people around and no wind or rain... you can hear cars approaching from one, maybe two miles. But the sound does not proceed straight, it bounces off cliffs, hills, glades... even an hypothethical zombie would probably head in a slightly erratic direction instead of "locking on" the car and following it until it reaches it and the poor driver. But, to avoid a complete TL;DR post, the main suggestion is this: since the map (afaik) is flat and doesn't allow you to accelerate toward the top of a hill and then turn off the engine and drive down without making a lot of noise... you could still simulate momentum and giving you the chance to, for example, killing the engine while going at 70mph on a straight road,.. substantially reducing the noise and making it possible for you to give the car the desired heading until the momentum ceases completely and you stop completely in your tracks. That would partially solve the huge horde problem and allow you to create this very moviesque accelerate, kill the engine, drive silently down a slope and reach your safehouse while the zombies will still (most of them anyway) be following the original heading the car had while the engine was running situation.

God, it turned into a TL;DR. Sorry.

15 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I agree :D While I think it definitely needs to be tweaked a bit, I've really enjoyed the cars as they are and have learned to use them quite well in their current state :) I personally think some of the sounds are way too quiet to zombies even (I'm looking at you window breaking sound! :P) lol

6 minutes ago, Kuren said:

I agree :D While I think it definitely needs to be tweaked a bit, I've really enjoyed the cars as they are and have learned to use them quite well in their current state :) I personally think some of the sounds are way too quiet to zombies even (I'm looking at you window breaking sound! :P) lol

Reverse the sound levels of the vehicles and broken glass and that'll be fine with me. Honestly, a car being driven can be heard farther away than a broken window, but a breaking window is a more jarring sound than the low hum of an engine.

By the way, I wanna reply to all of these awesome messages but I have my own essay, no, trilogy of novels worth of thoughts in response to each one and every time I see another long one I have less and less motivation to do it. Give me time to work up the motivation and I'll give detailed replies to all of the longer messages. xD

Edited by BayCon

On 5/11/2017 at 1:23 AM, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Honestly the loudness of the cars could be a sandbox option, That way zombies can still hear the player as they normally would.

I second this idea; that way we can always choose whatever we want and both groups will be pleased.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

1000% this, We need vehicles to actually be usable. It would also be nice if the gun sounds got nerfed a bit both in actual loudness (My ears are bleeding) and in zed draw distance at least a little.

Eh, I'm actually more for leaving gun sounds alone vs what seems the car draw is.    But to come up with a rational way to argue one way or the other, one would have to delve into how zombies decide what is "interesting" which would likely then get into a discussion on how the human brain processes sounds and classifies them... meh, not only do I not know most of that, but modern science doesn't know all the answers either.

But in my head, the way I see it...  (Please note, I'm still waking up and also brain burnt over finals, one of which was a physics final on wave mechanics, so this might be a bit dense ... and sadly, not entirely correct.)

In terms of a constant volume, constant production -- look at it in terms of rate of change in sound amplitude (which is logarithmically related to the intensity we hear... but I'm trying really hard to avoid things like fourier analysis here so...) ... a car running at normal RPM emits a certain volume of certain frequencies of sound... and depending on what that RPM is and the style of exhaust used in the vehicle, these are mostly low frequency sounds.  Low freq sound is already pretty hard to figure out where it's coming from by virtue of how sound propagates...  Add the fact that we have background noise our motor is competing with, and at lower RPMs, not only would I expect the sound to not necessarily travel shorter distances, but it would be less directional.     So a car at idle would be pretty hard to echo-locate unless you were already in line of sight and fairly close.   Also, remember that background intensity changes over the day/night cycle, so I would expect an idling vehicle be easier to echo locate at night.

In terms of sudden increase -- Say you gun the motor... well, higher RPM shifts emitted frequencies to higher regions making it easier to locate ... on top of a sudden increase in sound amplitude which would increase the area the sound is audible over as some function relatable by 1/r^2.

In terms of a slower increase -- Putting the pedal down a bit, but not flooring it -- Would necessarily react as a blend of the two above, but is a necessary mode to contemplate given what follows.

The above handles a generalization (probably very poor, so I apologize to anyone more informed on the matter for butchering it) of the actual physics involved in the propagation of the sound waves...  but that's only half of what we are concerned about.   What do zombies find interesting?

If we presume that going full Z doesn't magically rewire the brain so much as it shuts down upper cognitive functions... then it stands to reason that the more basic a mental function is, the higher the chance it either gets left alone or is amplified in effect.   So what makes sound interesting to us?

I would posit that for a sound to be interesting, it must reach one of two thresholds:  one of primitive threat detection, and one involving contextual clues.

Threat detection is the easiest to model -- sudden sounds demand attention -- our primitive ancestors were both hunter and prey, and a sudden sound might just be the predator you didn't notice.  As such, sensitivity to sudden changes in sound would make sense, be it a sudden gunning of a motor or gunshots, or whatever.   A droning sound, be it white noise from TV static or a passing vehicle out of line of sight should not necessarily hold a zombie's attention for very long.   In the case of gunshots, as far as I am aware both by personal experience and trying to link that to the physics above, albeit sloppily, gunshots carry a wide mix of frequencies and a very abrupt amplitude change.... both of which make them fairly easy to echo locate.

And as for contextual clues -- it's generally safe to assume that due to the lack of higher brain function zombies aren't going to interpret words, etc... but it would make sense that even if they couldn't find meaning in the words, the most basic version of this would understand that the sounds emitting from someone's mouth aren't natural (insomuch as they aren't background sound) and as such, were the zombie brain to associate these sounds with food, it would make sense for them to be far more sensitive to spoken word.  Where this plays into the vehicle sounds is that I don't particularly see zombies as having any contextual understanding of the sound of a car, so I'd see most of their response being from the threat model, not the context model.

Anyway, I'll just shut up now since I feel like I'm rambling.

Edited by Storm6436

On 5/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, BayCon said:

Are you suggesting we have more indoor zombies? I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Although, it would be nice to have each house have a chance of having a broken window or two so we can draw the conclusion that some zombies broke out of their homes.

Eh, not really.  Indoor zombies don't bug me one way or the other.  Make a little noise outside, whether that's beating an ax against a wall or popping off a round or two, and most zombies decide they like being outside pretty quick... and those that fail to path are generally banging their head against a closed door, making it easy enough to find them without jump scares.

The thrust of what I was getting at is that if I'm in the middle of nowhere in a county with a population of, say 20k people... and I'm hold up on a roof because of the horde below.  What are the odds that most of those 20k people are going to be in the street below me?   Eventually as the horde size approaches the population size (for a given time post-outbreak), it quickly becomes highly improbable that the horde in the street below could even exist.   Ie, presuming a short T, for the Horde population to be believable, it can't be above a certain percentage of the general population inside walking distance as defined by time T.   Granted, at T increments, walking distance gets longer ... but at the same time... well, I'm rambling now, but I think that's sufficient.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, Storm6436 said:

*science to back up how I would balance the zombie attraction to vehicles*

I would not have taken a dive into acoustic science too much to back up my argument, partially because logic is my expertise (and while I thoroughly study acoustics, I have yet to dive into the way certain frequencies interact with the brain and subject matter along those lines), and also because I wouldn't be too concerned with including scientific research to back up something I consider to be simple enough not to warrant said knowledge.

However, as someone who is also excessively verbose in his speaking, I'd like to ask you not to hold back on your scientific explanations if you choose to post here again because I really enjoyed reading what you already left here, and it is great to see that some people think on a higher level for something related to video games. I was literally, and figuratively, reading into your every word. 

Edited by BayCon

On 5/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, BayCon said:

I would not have taken a dive into acoustic science too much to back up my argument, partially because logic is my expertise (and while I thoroughly study acoustics, I have yet to dive into the way certain frequencies interact with the brain and subject matter along those lines), and also because I wouldn't be too concerned with including scientific research to back up something I consider to be simple enough not to warrant said knowledge.

However, as someone who is also excessively verbose in his speaking, I'd like to ask you not to hold back on your scientific explanations if you choose to post here again because I really enjoyed reading what you already left here, and it is great to see that some people think on a higher level for something related to video games. I was literally, and figuratively, reading into your every word. 

Hah, usually I figure people roll their eyes and move on without thinking it over terribly much. 

The main reason why I rattled off what I did was because I'd just finished a 300-level physics class on waves, which spent about a third of the class going over sound waves and the oddities of human perception of them.  I might have the false impression I'm at least partially informed on the topic, but it was pretty damn interesting and I tend to get carried away with things I think are interesting. 

I do kinda look forward to finishing this physics degree, I just need to shake this test anxiety. 

Edited by Storm6436

6 hours ago, Storm6436 said:

Hah, usually I figure people roll their eyes and move on without thinking it over terribly much. 

The main reason why I rattled off what I did was because I'd just finished a 300-level physics class on waves, which spent about a third of the class going over sound waves and the oddities of human perception of them.  I might have the false impression I'm at least partially informed on the topic, but it was pretty damn interesting and I tend to get carried away with things I think are interesting. 

I do kinda look forward to finishing this physics degree, I just need to shake this test anxiety. 

Hey man, good luck on that degree. I absolutely LOVE scientists of pretty much all sorts! When you graduate, get out there and make an make a name for yourself!

Eh, it's a bit late for that.  I did the "Join the military, see the world" bit first, followed by military contractor.  I'll be 39ish if/when I finish, and if I want a PHD I'll be pushing 50.  Far more likely I'll content myself with writing science fiction.  Got two books done, but not published yet as I'm basically caching them.  I can't write when classes are on and folks expect a release at least once a year... so two years I probably won't get much writing done means I should have at least three books banked. :P

Def going to be hitting a lot of players with cars and driving them over until they're dead.

Probably by hiding in a garage I'll build on the highway between Muldraugh and West Point so when you spend four minutes running and are not paying attention a car just drives out of the forest from nowhere and flattens you.

I hope when you hit players with cars, the first hit just takes half your health and fractures you. That way I can type *Honks* after the first hit before I reverse into them.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:44 PM, Jack Bower said:

Def going to be hitting a lot of players with cars and driving them over until they're dead.

Probably by hiding in a garage I'll build on the highway between Muldraugh and West Point so when you spend four minutes running and are not paying attention a car just drives out of the forest from nowhere and flattens you.

I hope when you hit players with cars, the first hit just takes half your health and fractures you. That way I can type *Honks* after the first hit before I reverse into them.

Glad to see that people like you will continue to push me away from public multiplayer. ;)

Edited by BayCon