Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

I haven't played this build long enough to know, but can you honk the horn? If not, that would be a great way to distract the zeds, or perhaps even a mechanic in which we can place a corpse into the driver seat and lay it against the horn, so it goes until it stops, essentially creating a long-term distraction that keeps zeds away from any areas you want to explore.

Build Vehicle 21:

[New]

• Transmission changes is now based on your engine rpm, max gear count, max speed, and not just on speed constants.
  • Now slow you/reduce engine force if you're driving on something else than road/streets.
  • Car keys has now a (small) chance to spawn directly on the car's starter or in the glove box.
  • Car keys are now mandatory to start the engine and to turn on headlights.
  • Keys will always spawn in glove box if you're in vehicleEasyUse sandbox option.
  • When starting the engine, keys will be in ignition (not in your inventory anymore), you'll get them back once you stop the engine.
  • You can try to hotwire a car if you don't have the keys: require level 2 electricity, the more level you have, the easier it gets (mechanics may come in calcul when it'll be out)
    •   The higher the quality of the car, the harder it'll be to hotwire it.
    •   Failing a hotwire could break the ignition, making it not possible to start without proper keys.
  • Replaced character saying "Locked.." by the door locked sound when trying to open a car's door.
  • Added rear seats as container too.
  • Van Seats and Special vehicles can now hold up to 4 people in the back (enter on the middle right for the van seats, trunk for others (ambulance, post van..))
  • Now shows "Switch to xx seat" (where xx is the seat's name) in the vehicle radial menu.
  • Added loot distribution system for vehicles:
    •   Every vehicle have a chance to spawn items inside their trunk and/or glove box.
    •   Some can be specific: ambulance, radio van...
    •   Some can be special: Pickup can have fisherman's, carpentry, etc. loots, could be a car full of groceries, etc.

[Balance]

• Changed gas consumption calcul, now is based on how close you're to increase transmission (the closer, the less you'll consume) still also based on engine's quality/mass of the vehicle.
  • You should now consume less than the 19.1 (depend on how you drive, lot of acceleration will ruin your gas tank!)
  • Reduced the chance to stall while driving (it also won't happend on high quality car).
  • Junk yard's cars should be aligned now, not in random angle.
  • Balanced seats container and trunk size of every cars.
  • Increased the chance of having fuel into a car.
  • Doubled distance for player's to hear car engine.

[Bug Fix]

• Fixed a bug with the sandbox option Gas Consumption.
  • Fixed wrong textures for green pickup.
  • Can now access the glove box only when sitting in front seats.
  • Fixed being able to drive through double doors.

Won't start :S

1505996818573 Could not initialise SteamUtils
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no PZBullet32 in java.library.path
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
	at zombie.core.physics.Bullet.init(Bullet.java:40)
	at zombie.GameWindow.init(GameWindow.java:1798)
	at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1053)
	at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)

Same here

1505997861581 znet: Java_zombie_core_znet_SteamWorkshop_n_1Init
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no PZBullet64 in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1867)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:870)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1122)
    at zombie.core.physics.Bullet.init(Bullet.java:38)
    at zombie.GameWindow.init(GameWindow.java:1798)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1053)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)

Crashing a car into a tree messes up the game so hard even reloading a save doesn't make the world load back in. You can move and all but nothing other than the UI is rendered.

This error starts to appear on every single tick.

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.getChunkFromSquarePos(PolygonalMap2.java:3670)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.getSquare(PolygonalMap2.java:3674)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.access$2(PolygonalMap2.java:3673)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$VisibilityGraph.addPerimeterEdges(PolygonalMap2.java:1735)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.createVisibilityGraph(PolygonalMap2.java:2131)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.createVisibilityGraphs(PolygonalMap2.java:2141)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.updateThread(PolygonalMap2.java:3838)
	at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.runInner(PolygonalMap2.java:3925)

Edited by Svarog

1 hour ago, RobertJohnson said:

Reboot steam, wait for update, missing dll and jar should be there :)

Car sounds prob went missing, expect update soon again.. :P

Are you gonna add abandoned vehicles on the side of a road, crashes at intersections, etc?

15 hours ago, Svarog said:

Does this happen to anyone else?

It happened to me the moment I turned the car's engine on, exactly like that, whith crazy pointer, the black screen and the red box with numbers going up to six thousand. I can still open the vehicle radial menu, character health panel, etc. couldn't leave the car by pressing "e", had to use the radial menu, the character came out exhausted, screen continued black and the numbers in the red box kept rising.

So, I loaded the save, the car disappeared and my character is now forever exhausted, I don't get the ''rest'' option and even after sleeping nothing changes

Edited by Rogers
update

Just read that in the future cars will drop in quality for use outside of the street.

This should really be re-thought. Many people I visit regularly (including family and the yard of my old house) operate farms that have had gravel and dirt roads around the property and nothing is wrong with those cars. Most vehicles are made with this in mind. There is no situation being created using these kinds of paths as they have no way to actually damage the undercarriage.

Parking on the grass and patrolling around the fall fair through the fields isn't going to screw up your ride or even damage the undercarriage either, especially if it's a flat space (and would still apply otherwise in any normal driving scenario).

Realistic compromise: Continuously running through 3-feet tall grass and bushes will drop your vehicle in quality over time. However otherwise it is just a matter of fact and experience that unless you are neglecting your car, you will not create a situation that will result in the degradation of your car's body, suspension, undercarriage etc. by driving on this in a flat environment. Chip in the paint at most.

It's also worth noting that significant loss of speed should only really occur in mud/dirt, sand and grass, not gravel or packed dirt. I haven't seen what the slowdown is, but I'll try it as soon as the build catches up on MP fixes

Edited by Kim Jong Un

35 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The vehicles my family sacrificed to the dirt and gravel roads of PEI would beg to differ. 

Poor things just didn't stand a chance.

Unless you are neglecting your vehicles (or other mechanical problems), there is no situation being created by driving down a flat gravel, dirt or grass road that will damage your undercarriage, suspension, etc.

People who have lived in a city or town could easily develop these fears about country driving, but it's a common knowledge and experience in our country community that any fear that parking/driving on grass or using a gravel road to get somewhere will screw up your car is absolute hogwash. Unless there are boulders being left out on those roads, your car will run and drive as fine before and after.

The vehicles I've driven for years range from an 81 camaro Z28, 86 chevy truck to an 04 Pontiac Montana (FWD minivan) and an 05 Pontiac pursuit (compact). Whether it's the winding dirt road up to my aunt's land or down the gravel road 2 townships over to our worksite, no harm has been done.

The effects of these roads are so menial it's absolutely harmless.

Personal anecdotal evidence aside, there is nothing happening there that will do any significant damage to your vehicle, at the time or over time.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

9 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The vehicles my family sacrificed to the dirt and gravel roads of PEI would beg to differ. 

Poor things just didn't stand a chance.

That's because your Canadian cars are bad and if you get down to Texas (Or really anywhere somewhat rural in the US), our cars are very durable, there's a huge dirt path (A mile or two long maybe?) riddled with potholes not far from our has and they've owned it for years, hardly any damage and they're using small Sedan. Besides cars like jeeps it would be down-syndrom town if my jeep got crapped on by a little dirt, Jeeps are built for off road.

(I have to flaunt the superior american cars for a second, just let me indulge myself)

Edited by Queen Glory

28 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

That's because your Canadian cars are bad and if you get down to Texas (Or really anywhere somewhat rural in the US), our cars are very durable, there's a huge dirt path (A mile or two long maybe?) riddled with potholes not far from our has and they've owned it for years, hardly any damage and they're using small Sedan. Besides cars like jeeps it would be down-syndrom town if my jeep got crapped on by a little dirt, Jeeps are built for off road.

(I have to flaunt the superior american cars for a second, just let me indulge myself)

Considering that our car market is nearly the exact same, you're insulting your own stuff.

Also, we can import vehicles earlier than you guys can, so that's that too.

It's a matter of car neglect, not what road you choose (unless you are going rock climbing/mudding in a hand-me-down Golf). If there was any real concern of driving on these kinds of roads consistently causing damage, there would be a reason for it. Kicking up the uncommon rock on a loose gravel road while going high speed and chipping the paint doesn't count.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

10 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Considering that our car market is nearly the exact same, you're insulting your own stuff.

Also, we can import vehicles earlier than you guys can, so that's that too.

It's a matter of car neglect, not what road you choose (unless you are going rock climbing in a hand-me-down Golf. If there was any real concern of driving on these kinds of roads consistently causing damage, there would be a reason for it. Kicking up the uncommon rock on a loose gravel road while going high speed and chipping the paint doesn't count.

:o I PLAYED MYSELF!

Gravel and dirt roads don't stay flat for more than a season, if they're regularly used. Likewise, grass may appear smooth, but it's not always so. You can certainly drive or park a bit on smooth and level grass, but you're still taking a chance. Mistakes happen and the damage is just the same as driving on deteriorated asphalt. 

Perhaps you'll have to fan-wank it a little, considering the abstract nature of PZ's view-point and various other systems, after getting over the fear something being touched on in the future will be taken to the extreme.