Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

4 hours ago, DramaSetter said:

What about taxi cars? Will you add taxi's in the future?

( I hope for more car models in future too,but just want to make sure )

Certainly a good idea for a mod, but I doubt that a small town like Muldraugh or West Point has real need for a taxi service. When Louisville gets implemented, I fully expect service vehicles like taxis, buses, SWAT vans, and more.

4 hours ago, DramaSetter said:

What about taxi cars? Will you add taxi's in the future?

( I hope for more car models in future too,but just want to make sure )

I have a Taxi model done, it's essentially a NormalCar with a taxi sign and advert board on the roof. It needs Mash to do her texturing magic but it'll be for a future update, we've got a core set of vehicles that need tieing into the game properly.

Once that's done we can take stock and decide what other vehicles we want to add. There are some other vehicles already in a WIP state but we need to weigh game balance, lore, engine performance etc. before they get finalised.

19 hours ago, martingee said:

I have a Taxi model done, it's essentially a NormalCar with a taxi sign and advert board on the roof. It needs Mash to do her texturing magic but it'll be for a future update, we've got a core set of vehicles that need tieing into the game properly.

Once that's done we can take stock and decide what other vehicles we want to add. There are some other vehicles already in a WIP state but we need to weigh game balance, lore, engine performance etc. before they get finalised.

Oi,thanks for answering. Good to hear,that more cars will be added.

New build released:

1) Zombie collision improved. (Formerly holding down ‘W’ key meant zombies reacted less. Driving into zombies without acceleration had more impact.)

2) Fixed: Crafting UI on Electronics tab results in error.

3) Fixed: Fire on-screen results in error.

4) Fixed: Possible to press E and W while in the car and it will start when the character exits.

5) Fixed: Car will keep running, and engine noise will follow player.

6) Fixed: “If I'm in the car OR outside the car attempting to interact with the radial menu (keyboard V) then I sometimes become locked in the vehicle. I cannot turn the vehicle off or exit the vehicle - with E or with radial menu. The only fix is to quit the game and reload. The game doesn't show any errors when this happens.”

7) Fixed: Fuel Exploit. (You could still refuel a car after the electricity shut-off, then use an empty gas can to get the fuel out of the car, then refuel the car again)

8) Fixed: Player can read a skill book while driving.

9) Fixed: Car info window can't be closed while driving. Have to come to a full stop to close it.

10) Fixed: Burnt out cars can be rammed and made to slide. Should be ‘heavier’. Some also bounce on spawn.

11) Fixed: In Local Co-Op I found that when both players are in the car, very often the cars simply won't collide with any walls or objects and instead just NoClip through them.

12) Object synchronization code is improved. All street lights go out immediately when electricity is lost.

On 23/06/2017 at 10:15 AM, Svarog said:

Get the following error when turning, it happens rarely but perhaps it might lead someone to the cause of FPS drops while turning?

Reveal hidden contents

Do you still get this error Svarog? Yuri couldn't recreate it.

I haven't tested it extensively, however I have fiddled around with it a bit and the biggest issue I've noticed so far is the performance... It runs pretty poorly, especially in town regions while my cmd console is spamming constant checks for "gotkey" and "moving vehicle to X X".

None of the graphical options made any difference in the test, I tried running 1x tiles, turning off shaders, turning lighting to lowest, compressing textures.... nothing made a difference and it ran exactly the same.

On another note, I tested the 38.4 branch too, which I believe has the same exact changes other than vehicles as as far as I could tell, and it ran flawlessly so I don't want to believe it's my system.

That being said, tested on:

Motherboard: Sabertooth 990fx r2.0

CPU: AMD FX 9590 @ stock 4.7Ghz

RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600Mhz

GPU: Nvidia Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 @ stock 1266Mhz Core clock (1367 boost), 7010Mhz Memory clock

PSU: Evga SuperNOVA 1300 G2, 1300W

SSD: Samsung 840 evo, 250GB (which the game is installed on, for maximum performance)

I'd uh, hope that's sufficient to run what PZ can throw at it... ;-) (Processor could be better... tried to go budget mindset with the CPU with plans to upgrade later, but I mean... honestly it should just never have a problem with PZ in any normal circumstance, especially since the game runs multi-threaded.)

Edited by KinaUndead

6 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Do you still get this error Svarog? Yuri couldn't recreate it.

Edit: Yeah, and i caught it on video.

Edit 2: Also, seriously, notice the FPS drop when turning.

CONSOLE OUTPUT:

Spoiler

Error 1
1499794512382 hitCharacter velocity=( 9.280E+0  0.000E+0  1.166E+0) speed=9.352739 dot=-0.87093943 clientForce=0.0
1499794527082 CRASH lastSpeed=-35.93549 speed=34.35857 delta=35.93549
1499794527082 rearEndDurability=93
1499794535361 CRASH lastSpeed=57.36354 speed=-1.3476021 delta=-57.36354
1499794535361 frontEndDurability=72
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.allocChunkIfNeeded(PolygonalMap2.java:3627)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.access$6(PolygonalMap2.java:3625)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$ChunkUpdateTask.execute(PolygonalMap2.java:3108)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.updateThread(PolygonalMap2.java:3779)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.runInner(PolygonalMap2.java:3892)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.run(PolygonalMap2.java:3881)
Error 2 [ON VIDEO]
1499794640442 hitCharacter velocity=( 6.102E-1  0.000E+0  1.499E+1) speed=15.0 dot=-0.9471129 clientForce=0.0
1499794640443 rearEndDurability=62
1499794643777 CRASH lastSpeed=-32.47228 speed=30.923248 delta=32.47228
1499794643783 rearEndDurability=60
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.allocChunkIfNeeded(PolygonalMap2.java:3627)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.access$6(PolygonalMap2.java:3625)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$ChunkUpdateTask.execute(PolygonalMap2.java:3108)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.updateThread(PolygonalMap2.java:3779)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.runInner(PolygonalMap2.java:3892)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.run(PolygonalMap2.java:3881)

Edited by Svarog

On 7/11/2017 at 7:28 AM, Batsphinx said:

Oh, and as before - if there are any BIG DEAL VERY ANNOYING bugs that are getting in people's way with the vehicles then feel free to re-post and I'll bump them up Yuri's tasklist.

I'm really happy you guys fixed the doors not working in PZ. My only problem now (not sure if its related) is sometimes after 15 minutes no one can see zombies anymore sometimes we cant see each other etc. they lag out and are in their own game

14 minutes ago, MJL said:

I'm really happy you guys fixed the doors not working in PZ. My only problem now (not sure if its related) is sometimes after 15 minutes no one can see zombies anymore sometimes we cant see each other etc. they lag out and are in their own game

Can canfirm that in MP it's pretty damn laggy. Played an hour eith my buddy earlier and it was really hard to tolerate.

1 minute ago, Svarog said:

Can canfirm that in MP it's pretty damn laggy. Played an hour eith my buddy earlier and it was really hard to tolerate.

thats a shame it works somewhat though so i will enjoy it as much as possible until this is fixed

1 hour ago, MJL said:

After the zombies disappear, grab the server_console.txt and console.txt log in %UserProfile%\Zomboid You can attach them to your post.

It'd be very helpful to know what error occurred. :)

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

After the zombies disappear, grab the server_console.txt and console.txt log in %UserProfile%\Zomboid You can attach them to your post.

It'd be very helpful to know what error occurred. :)

as soon as it happens again ill take a screenshot

5 hours ago, MJL said:

I'm really happy you guys fixed the doors not working in PZ.

If you meant how zombies could walk through closed doors in MP, me and my buddy saw it happen, it's better than it was, they were banging on it but at some point they just phased through, I can only assume that the game assumed the door was open/destroyed but didn't feel compelled to send our clients a memo.

Hello, I briefly tested vehicles so far, and now can't wait to see it finished – it's just so awesome even in its current form. This dramatically changes the gameplay for better. I know it's still not done and features are missing, but I want to share some thoughts.

I've started the game with "Easy Vehicles" option turned off. Spawned in some house with "mine" mail truck, as I found the key in said house – though my character was a policeman. I giggled a bit, maybe he lived with his wife who worked in the post office or maybe it wasn't his house in the first place. Anyway, it would be nice for a chance to see vehicle appropriate to character's profession. But that's minor and not important, story behind it may be justified in myriad ways. As I gathered some stuff from neighbors and packing it into the vehicle, the best idea I could imagine was to drive straight to the warehouse to gather more stuff – and I did. Somewhat. The car was a ruin, engine stopped frequently and it was loud as hell (according to "quality" and "loudness" stats of the engine). After reaching my destination I began searching for better vehicle – and I found one, but keys were nowhere to be found. Hopefully, shortly after I found yet another pretty good car (not as good as the one without keys) with a key nearby. This lead me to thoughts:

I'd like to see is more complex "internal" damage of the cars. Judging from what I can see in the info panel of the car and placeholder thingy for opening the hood – this is a thing. You know, possibility to change battery when it's dead (and charge it eventually), spark plugs, damaged ignition cables, faulty carburetor, broken alternator, leaking fuel tank or some other components like busted radiator hose or the radiator itself. Flat tires would also be a nice thing. That would motivate players to scavenge for parts at some point: "that radiator won't hold much longer, I should look around for spare parts."

When it comes to repairing – it would be great to repair damaged car after running over some zombies or into a wall. Or just repairing it after finding it somewhere in damaged state. I think "Metalwork" skill, and maybe some new "Car mechanic" skill which would be also needed to perform such repairs. This also leads me with my thoughts to crafting various things – like upgrades – for cars: extra storage space space on the roof (for some vehicles), additional armor, pipe bumper to run over zeds and protect front end in case of collision with more solid object.

Next one is – getting into the car, and starting it when we don't have keys. In non-zombified society someone who do just that, would be called a car thief. Maybe that could be nice new profession on top of the mentioned car mechanic. I see that profession like: Car mechanic at level 1 and +75% experience boost and Electrician skill at level 1. Because to get into the car and start it involves both, knowledge about how the parts are working inside the car's door and some know-how about the electrical wiring to connect right cables to enable ignition. Or just plain old "grand theft auto style" – smash the window and start the car with only Electrician skill at level 1.

Probably I've gone way too far with it... Now to the bugs. I didn't found many, because I've been playing just a bit. Most of them I saw already mentioned earlier in this thread as I briefly scrolled through. So the only thing I can say is misplaced access points to storage compartments of the vehicles – for example the minivan-ish one have access point somewhat on the side of it but trunk door is at the back of the car.

TL;DR:

Suggestions/thoughts/ideas:

– vehicles upgrades and customization.
– more complex damage of internal parts.

– repairing damaged vehicles

– new skill: car mechanic

– new professions: car mechanic and car thief

Hi there ! 

My girlfriend an I love the game and we decided to test the vehicle build. We tested it in local coop with two controllers (we play like that on the IWBUMS build).

So to summarize everything we thought about it :

- The menu wheel is awesome

- The menu wheel is not very intuitive when you are in a vehicle though. Having to press "select" again to chose an option after going into the vehicle menu is not that good in our opinion.

- Cars are often locked etc... That's pretty nice but the tank is always full, and electricity too. (We deactivated the EasyVehicle option).

- The cars never break. Though we think you planned to do it.

- The speed of the vehicle is nice. But is causing a little stuttering concerning the background. Maybe we travel too fast for the engine ?

- The controls of the vehicle are horrible in our sense. It's counter intuitive to put the stick to the right when we want to turn the car a little to the left for example. It feels like it's at the opposite of all the other games we played before.

- The game become extremely laggy when we turn. Especially when we skid (I don't know if it's the right word). We even manage to crash the game by skidding while driving backward with two cars :D (We can reproduce and send you the error maybe ?)

We may have a few suggestions that you maybe thought about before us :

- A new skill concerning mechanic for cars (repairing, salvaging pieces on broken cars etc...)

- Maybe find pieces to repair your car in auto repair and gas station etc...

- Improve the sounds of the car collision and of the engine. But we saw that you already mentionned it was only placeholder sounds.

You can find the specs of our computer below and feel free to ask for more information if you need it.

Keep up the good work !

Chris & Harley

ComputerSpecs.txt

Trying to load Challenges Crash the Game

You Have One Day
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=41,22,1 because the square is null
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:1965)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.runInner(GameLoadingState.java:247)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:222)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Last Stand
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=153,158,0 because the square is null
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:1965)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.runInner(GameLoadingState.java:247)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:222)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

On 7/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, trombonaught said:

Bug here. I will admit I didn't scan all 23 pages to make sure I'm not reposting, buuuut:

Seeing a lot of this. It doesn't load up over time if I'm present, but if I leave and come back it will be different (sometimes better sometimes worse, areas all over the maps).

I can walk inside of these undraw tiles (and get bitten) but the only thing visible while I'm in there is my name.

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 9.40.03 PM.png

No more black death zones since the update! Not sure if it's related or a coincidence, but yay!

Playing with best hearing shamblers and enjoying cruising from town to town, trying to keep one step ahead of the hordes. Lots of stashing my car in the woods for some sleep. Can't wait till this is steady enough for IWBUMS!

Vehicle test build 14:

• Final acceleration approach to top speed put on a curve: in the last 25% of the highest speeds then acceleration should slow. This should feel more realistic and will allow us to space out RPM increase in sounds, and implement simulated gear shifts. It will also, hopefully, make high speed driving more rewarding.
  • Engine gauge (rpm) and speed gauge added. [Visuals/implementation placeholder. Speed currently km/h but we will provide the option for m/ph later on]
  • The amount of petrol/gas needed to drive any particular distance increased
  • Leaving the car should leave the engine on. Player must manually turn off the engine. This will allow cars to be used as a distraction, and also allow for fast getaways.
  • Slightly longer gap required between car ‘turning on’ and car being able to move. (A very brief moment)
  • Increase chances of zombies being turned into crawlers after collisions
  • Bug fixed: Vehicle gas tank is titled as Battery on the vehicle information window.
  • Bug fixed: Cars can spawn on top of each other.
  • Fixed bug with engine sound after starting.
  • Fixed errors in log "moving vehicles..." when players move through the world. The car sounds are loading preliminary now. The occasional turning error that showed should not appear.

From Mondoid "and the inclusion of actual player-controlled gear shifts seemed a little too hardcore. "

:(

Is there any video game in modern day that has vehicles and any way for the player to limit the top speed attainable by holding "W"? Because I can't come up with any. And I hate that. I keep colliding with tiny erosion generated pine tries, really makes me wish I could drive slower.

Other than that, I really like the update. Especially being able to leave the engine on. It's kinda funny to me how easy it is to do a 180 on reverse. I'll play it a lot more over the next few days and give some more detailed feedback.

Edit: I do think vehicles now burn fuel too fast. And my car keeps getting stuck after stopping, I can reverse fine but going forward is sometimes a problem, I need to reverse a bit before I can go forward, it's weird.

Edited by Svarog