Released: Vehicle Tech Test build
11 11

321 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Kim Jong Un said:

the green and yellow park ranger car still fits and should not be removed.


I agree, it looks really nice :) Still hoping there's a SUV/truck version too though, seems odd to me that park rangers wouldn't have an off-road vehicle :P

zoeyflower and hunger john like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave it another quick go today for a bit of fun running over zombies.

I tried a couple of days ago and found it super buggy, but today was much better. Unsure if there was any update, or if my first test in sandbox vs second test in hosting a multiplayer game made a difference.

 

I didnt experience any crashes, lockups or inability to use a vehicle.

 

Finding the door and the trunk can be pretty hard tho. Id walk back and forward trying to get the green thing to show up.

 

I like the damage idea. But more damage didn't seem to reflect in the loudness shown in the info screen.

But I think that running over a zombie shouldn't do as much dmg as what currently happens.

 

I also noticed that some things like garbage cans acted like brick walls and did huge amounts of damage instead of running over it. Whereas you can drive right over other things like light posts, fire hydrants and post boxes.

Be good to push them around like you can do with other cars.

 

I couldn't work out how to top up the fuel of my car. I pulled up at a gas station (with power) but couldnt work the pumps. I also grabbed an empty gas can, filled it up first, but couldnt work out how to get it into my car.

 

I like that cars have huge amounts of storage. But was disappointed to find that larger trucks had the same storage as an every day car.

I loaded a car up, but didn't notice any difference in handling.

 

Some vehicles had significantly different handling to others. The UPS van was slower, but so slidey that I spent half my time drifting about :)

I think the difference in poor vehicle performance should provide a benefit in return. Things like a quieter smaller car vs a big noisy truck that has significantly more space.

 

At one point I managed to get a bunch of zombies spawn underneath my car while doing 88mph on the main road. I crashed and it rolled! Epic.

I wasn't able to repeat the random zombie spawning tho.

 

Several times I found that the vehicle info screen couldn't be closed.

Plus on two occasions the info screen showed the info of the previous car I was driving, not the one that I am in now.

 

The info screen for the fuel tank says battery by mistake.

Edited by Any

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Any said:

Several times I found that the vehicle info screen couldn't be closed.

 

If it's the same bug that I see, then you can "fix" it with moving the window to a slightly different position. Apparently the left screen icons are somehow blocking the close button of the car status window in its initial position.

Edited by Lexx2k
Any and hunger john like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Build available at time of writing and and tried it, played around for a about an hour or two on a few different saves.

Vehicles themselves control pretty much as I expected they would, I expected a much better version of what Fallout Tactics had back in the day and it kinda feels like it. It's really fun to drive around, everything feels just right, don't really have any complaints in that area. Cars themselves look good and there is nothing I can complain about that isn't known and won't be fixed.

Performance:
- Unstable FPS when driving, otherwise it stays at 30.
-- When driving the FPS can drop to 10 for a second before going back up to 30, it doesn't matter how fast I drive, being inside a vehicle is enough to get that for me most time.
- The game eventually (After about half an hour) started to hang up at 5 second intervals for about 1 second, a minute later it crashed with the following error. Worth noting is, it did that on a save where I didn't even get into any vehicle.
 

Spoiler

Exception in thread "World Streamer" Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at zombie.iso.LightingJNI$JNILighting.<init>(LightingJNI.java:479)
    at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.<init>(IsoGridSquare.java:3171)
    at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.getNew(IsoGridSquare.java:3064)
    at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:2692)
    at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:1825)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:237)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunk(WorldStreamer.java:228)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer$1.run(WorldStreamer.java:143)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at org.lwjgl.input.JInputController.poll(JInputController.java:200)
    at org.lwjgl.input.Controllers.poll(Controllers.java:134)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.pollDevices(Display.java:682)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.processMessages(Display.java:602)
    at zombie.core.Core.DoFrameReady(Core.java:2824)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1292)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)


Bugs:
- Various rendering issues, mostly with zombies disappearing behind walls when they're in front of them, sprites being drawn over vehicles even when the vehicle isn't even close (Fences).
- Lighting is messed up in places, some sprites are fullbright even when there is no light nearby.
- My inventory locked up at one point and I couldn't do anything with any item, couldn't move anything, couldn't right click anything, I have no idea why it happened but it happened when I was messing around putting stuff in the glovebox.

My Rig:
- Intel Pentium G2030 2x3GHz
- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
- 4GB RAM
- Windows 7 Professional

Notes:

- I ran the game from ProjectZomboid32.bat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Brax said:

Hi,

 

during a run i hit a group of zombies. my car flipped upside down.

I saved and quit. Now when reloading the game crashes.

It seems it isn't able to start if you are in a car flipped upside down.

 

This the log

console.txt

 

While I don't have a console log of this, I had the same bug. But strangely enough, all I did was exit my game while still inside of a car. IT WAS EVEN ON A NO-ZEDS MAP. Apparently, closing the game while inside of a car causes that big bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Svarog said:

Got the Build available at time of writing and and tried it, played around for a about an hour or two on a few different saves.

Vehicles themselves control pretty much as I expected they would, I expected a much better version of what Fallout Tactics had back in the day and it kinda feels like it. It's really fun to drive around, everything feels just right, don't really have any complaints in that area. Cars themselves look good and there is nothing I can complain about that isn't known and won't be fixed.

Performance:
- Unstable FPS when driving, otherwise it stays at 30.
-- When driving the FPS can drop to 10 for a second before going back up to 30, it doesn't matter how fast I drive, being inside a vehicle is enough to get that for me most time.
- The game eventually (After about half an hour) started to hang up at 5 second intervals for about 1 second, a minute later it crashed with the following error. Worth noting is, it did that on a save where I didn't even get into any vehicle.
 

  Reveal hidden contents

Exception in thread "World Streamer" Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at zombie.iso.LightingJNI$JNILighting.<init>(LightingJNI.java:479)
    at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.<init>(IsoGridSquare.java:3171)
    at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.getNew(IsoGridSquare.java:3064)
    at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:2692)
    at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:1825)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:237)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunk(WorldStreamer.java:228)
    at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer$1.run(WorldStreamer.java:143)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at org.lwjgl.input.JInputController.poll(JInputController.java:200)
    at org.lwjgl.input.Controllers.poll(Controllers.java:134)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.pollDevices(Display.java:682)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.processMessages(Display.java:602)
    at zombie.core.Core.DoFrameReady(Core.java:2824)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1292)
    at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
    at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)


Bugs:
- Various rendering issues, mostly with zombies disappearing behind walls when they're in front of them, sprites being drawn over vehicles even when the vehicle isn't even close (Fences).
- Lighting is messed up in places, some sprites are fullbright even when there is no light nearby.
- My inventory locked up at one point and I couldn't do anything with any item, couldn't move anything, couldn't right click anything, I have no idea why it happened but it happened when I was messing around putting stuff in the glovebox.

My Rig:
- Intel Pentium G2030 2x3GHz
- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
- 4GB RAM
- Windows 7 Professional

Notes:

- I ran the game from ProjectZomboid32.bat

 

I had the same problem with the freezing and crashing. I disabled all the mods I was using and tried again, haven't encountered any freezes or crashes since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Brex said:

 

I had the same problem with the freezing and crashing. I disabled all the mods I was using and tried again, haven't encountered any freezes or crashes since. 


So I turned off that one mod I had on that just added a few items and the game still crashed the same way.

It got weirdly janky around the same part of the map I was in the last time it did though and this was a new save. Both times it went dead when I was around these parts https://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.4155488277660973,0.1682851302139058,38.33759992447473

Also of note, both times it crashed I played at least two different saves without restarting the game itself.

Edit: I'll mess around with it more and see if I can find some way to crash it consistently when I wake up.

Edit 2: Tried again, it crashes if I quit to menu, reload ANY save and play for a while. Looked at task manager, memory use randomly jumped to 1GB and everything started to freeze. As a note, it crashed near the same general area again.

Edited by Svarog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be great to hold down E while driving, and watching your body tumble down the road while the car careens onwards.  This would be a great tactic, assuming you survive the bodily damages.  You could do things like sending the car off into a pile of zombies, then after your body stops rolling you hit your remote to trigger the bomb that you planted onboard the car, and take out like 50 zombies.  And you got some scratches on you, but you can still run away.  

 

That would be awesome.

zoeyflower and Soul Filcher like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joosy69 said:

I think it would be great to hold down E while driving, and watching your body tumble down the road while the car careens onwards.  This would be a great tactic, assuming you survive the bodily damages.  You could do things like sending the car off into a pile of zombies, then after your body stops rolling you hit your remote to trigger the bomb that you planted onboard the car, and take out like 50 zombies.  And you got some scratches on you, but you can still run away.  

 

That would be awesome.

Only if I can put my sunglasses as I turn away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars also need e-brake dynamics.  Trigger the e-brake with spacebar perhaps.   It would be nice for drifting corners.  Bonus for knocking out zombies while drifting :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Joosy69 said:

Cars also need e-brake dynamics.  Trigger the e-brake with spacebar perhaps.   It would be nice for drifting corners.  Bonus for knocking out zombies while drifting :) 


So next metalwork addition will be to A-Team out your ride?  Stick a cow-catcher on the front, that kind of thing?

Joosy69 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there should be a gameplay mechanic to remove the tires from cars and use the chassis as a makeshift barricade.

Aurex likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joosy69 said:

Cars also need e-brake dynamics.  Trigger the e-brake with spacebar perhaps.   It would be nice for drifting corners.  Bonus for knocking out zombies while drifting


This is actually already in :) Press space bar for the real brake, and S for reverse/slow-down :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone taken any fun screenshots or vids with the new vehicle textures? Let me know if so as I could use some for the blog.

 

Also, sounds like there should be a new build today that could help with some of the FPS degradation that people get.

Kuren, BayCon and Trojan_Turps like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brex said:

Maybe there should be a gameplay mechanic to remove the tires from cars and use the chassis as a makeshift barricade.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH THERE 
HOLD UP
TIRE STACKS WOULD BE BADASS ADDITIONS TO BASEBUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BayCon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice the first aid kit container is now green? So is the first-aider trait.

 

I wonder if there's an in-game model for carrying the kit in the animation update, and these were changed for consistency? Or am I reading too much into it? It's probably actually just to avoid breaching the Geneva conventions act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang y'all have been breaking this DOWN since page 12. I'm mad I wasn't there to throw my thoughts into the mix lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Has anyone taken any fun screenshots or vids with the new vehicle textures? Let me know if so as I could use some for the blog.

 

Also, sounds like there should be a new build today that could help with some of the FPS degradation that people get.

 

I have normal screenshots. Nothing like the cool ones usually seen in the blog. I've never been in a Mondoid, so it would be cool! :)

But unfortunately they all have draw errors and I won't be running the tech test build anymore because I'm afraid it will mess up my server on the stable branch unless someone can confirm for me that leaving the server closed will make the vehicles branch have no effect on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
11 11