Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

13 minutes ago, Zorak said:

IMO car spawns are to "clean", all of them are nicely parked. I miss some abandoned cars mid road, car barricades across the road. In general its too clean for zombie apocalypse.

PS. Random item spawn at car trunks would be great !

What RJ's doing at the moment is moving a lot of Yuri's car spawn work into PZ's existing zoning system. So for stuff like this we're having to take one step back, but in order to take a bunch more forwards. That aspect will return a few builds down the road.

Cool idea re: car trunks, though don't expect too much mega-loot. If West Point cars are anything like ones I've owned it'll mainly be snack wrappers and damp clothing.

@Zorak

As Batsphinx said, the traffic jam/car on road are my next thing, already started to work on it, but we wanted to do a first version with some multiplayer fixes + my new stuff to see how it goes.

Already started to work on random abandonned vehicle on road, the random item in car's truck shouldn't be too difficult to make, maybe formy next test version :)

1. Third and fourth door's still mising in infopanel. I know, this is visual thing and not so much important, but i want to mention it: 

https://imgur.com/a/SrA3x

2. Vans like this one should have four extra seats ( instead of two, like regual cars ): 

https://imgur.com/a/7MxlM

3. I think, the more players sit in one vehicle, the slower it should be.

4. Without needed lvl of skill ( Mechanic, for example? ) player shouldn't see the quality of engine, battery and etc. Also, infopanel should open ONLY near hood, "opening" infopanel should take time ( technical inspection? ):

https://imgur.com/a/Zi8um

5. Hitting zombies by vehicles looks weird. After you do that, they "teleportates" from you. 

( 0:13* ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EK_UPVXOg

Edited by DramaSetter

On 2017/9/9 at 9:45 PM, DramaSetter said:

1. It happens because vehicle run out of gas. I even mentioned this before.

2. To see this button you need to be on the driver seat.

1. I didn't think of it until you said.

2.I know.  but it happen also when vehicle run out of gas.

Edited by halkaze

9 minutes ago, halkaze said:

1. I didn't think of it until you said.

2.I know that.  but it happen also when vehicle run out of gas.

To be fair, cars sometimes stall -- I drove a car from Riverside to Mul, and it stalled out on me 4 times with plenty of gas in it.

I frankly don't understand the stalling or the gas consumption ( a whole tank to go from one town to another).  Both seem needlessly unrealistic, but I guess it adds some negatives to automobiles for balance.

^Engines that are high quality and tuned well shouldn't stall out when you are driving. In real life, that is indication of a few possible major issues, and would be cause to drive to the shop immediately.

Also, the junkyard.

Realistically the cars here would be organized into rows, not piled on top of each other. It would also cut back on the massive lag the area can produce since the cars tend to "bounce" when they are falling/dealing with the awkward positioning. 

Other than that, really cool to see the different variants.

Just wish I had the server sandbox settings in multiplayer so I could scale down how many cars spawn, since it seems like 100% of them are.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

7 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Cool idea re: car trunks, though don't expect too much mega-loot. If West Point cars are anything like ones I've owned it'll mainly be snack wrappers and damp clothing.

Car trunks could potentially have anything in them. One guy could have planned a fishing trip (fishing gear and something to drink), another could be on his way back from the mart (plastic bags with food). So maybe, add a themed loot chance like we have for houses, that would be awesome.

16 hours ago, steiger said:

To be fair, cars sometimes stall -- I drove a car from Riverside to Mul, and it stalled out on me 4 times with plenty of gas in it.

I frankly don't understand the stalling or the gas consumption ( a whole tank to go from one town to another).  Both seem needlessly unrealistic, but I guess it adds some negatives to automobiles for balance.

You're aware that's why we do this kind of test? To balance?

Now now, engine can stall, it'll depend on your engine quality, where you got the car, etc.. You can check it from the vehicle menu. Also remember those are cars from 90', could be abandonned for some times etc, stall will be present. Thing being, I didn't touched the engine stall code yet, so i don't know exactly the ratio there, but before this, easy to use was true by default, meaning a 100% engine quality, so like 1% chance of stalling?

For gas, it'll depend again, on the car, on how you drive (the higher shift/rpm the less you'll consume, if you do only small road/accelerating a lot, you'll use lot of gas), on the total mass of the car, on the engine's quality etc. What car was it?

If you find a van with an engine quality of 40, expect this kind of stuff :)

15 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Also, the junkyard.

Realistically the cars here would be organized into rows, not piled on top of each other. It would also cut back on the massive lag the area can produce since the cars tend to "bounce" when they are falling/dealing with the awkward positioning.

Aw really? Damn, thought a junk yard would look like that :D Bah, gonna change that then, thanks :P

The update contains 400MB of .wav sound effects. Again.

I don't know how relevant this is now but yesterday I played local co-op with my friend and there were no engine sounds when car was started and cars tended to spawn, bounce like crazy and then fly up and never fall down. I wish I remembered all the wonky stuff I witnessed.

When I have some time I'll double check if it's still the case in current version and try to get you guys some decent bug report.

1 hour ago, myhappines said:

Yeah, as someone said, cars are too clean now, adding some dirt on them should be good. Also it will be cool to ad some rust ( a little bit ) to make vehicles more realistic felling. 

Better to post that in suggestion forum :)

Try to keep this thread for vehicle bug report/feedback :)

I'm still getting frame drops at times. Maybe it's my computer; I play on an HP laptop, and though I'm not sure of its exact specs, I know that so far it's been able to run PZ without major lag. But with vehicles I rarely get anywhere near 30 fps, and if I'm surrounded by zombies or in an urban area, my framerate can easily drop below 10, sometimes even 5. It's not quite as frequent as it used to be, but I'm still not sure if they're optimized enough to perform well without eating up frames. 

Maybe there should be an option to turn off 3D models in cars, like you can do with zombies. The cars would look and act more like the cars in Nolan's driving mod: static sprites that can still drive and turn and all that. That might help with the frames issue on lower-end computers, though again I've never had any major problems with lag before, even with huge hordes of zeds. 

15 minutes ago, Thegeorgegman said:

I play for a while, and on starting game on high amount of gas in gas tank. Most cars have their gas tanks empty. This is very unrealistic that somebody could drive on fuel fumes to etc work.

It's pretty common in gas crises for people to drive their vehicle until it's out of fuel.

A quarantine around Muld would probably do that.

Been playing the build for a while now, I've noticed many improvements, but there are still a few minor issues. 

- vehicles are misplaced in the West Point Giga-Mart parking lot (they're not parked inside the lines but are instead perpendicular to them)

- occasional roof bugs with the border of the roof remaining visible even when the rest has become transparent

- attempting to sleep in a car results in an error

- occasional slowdowns and frame drops, not as bad as it once was, mildly annoying but not gamebreaking 

If I see any more I'll let you know. 

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It's pretty common in gas crises for people to drive their vehicle until it's out of fuel.

I do agree in theory, but in practice how many of those cars would run out of fuel exactly on the owners drive. maybe making more abandoned cars on the road out of fuel but less of them in driveways, especially at the moment 9 out of 10 cars in some areas are empty.

just a thought

13 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I think his point was more that the majority of vehicles were out of gas, unless you were saying that would apply to the vehicle spawns we see ingame, which I believe would be very unrealistic with all things considered. My case for this:

It would actually be quite easy to find and siphon gas outside of the pumps in a zombie apocalypse due to how little vehicles would actually fall to the "endless drive to nowhere" scenario. Traffic jams are inevitable and are cause for people to abandon their vehicle on the road. Even counting tanks already low, giving difference between diesel and gasoline, you could still easily scrounge a year's worth of gas for multiple vehicles from clogged up traffic, based on the fact that the majority of vehicles would have had enough gas and then some to reach the desired destination before being caught in the jam (and as for people leaving their vehicles running, it would be more feasible for the car to stall out from idling before actually running out of gas). It's brought up a lot in a few apocalypse survival guides and forums that siphoning gas will be profitable for quite a long time especially if there are high-traffic zones near your chosen home.

Counting the cars that were simply left where they were before the apocalypse - delivery trucks, company cars, school buses remain in their depots as employees run to their personal vehicles, far more common than one would think without reading into it as people are more than likely to carpool in a chaotic situation even if they have their own vehicle due to the common human instinct of safety in numbers.

As more people lose their lives to the zombie plague, that's another vehicle going unused, and even if they didn't own a vehicle to begin with that's one less person to drive the gas of another vehicle. There will be a point early on in the apocalypse where the amount of vehicles out there, with gas, will outnumber the survivors and it will likely come during the initial chaos. Census data concludes that even prior to 1990 the majority of American households owned two or more vehicles. Given a general assumed amount of "unfortunate situations" and that most of these vehicles had a relevant amount of gas before their owner's "unfortunate situation", there must be a mathematically guaranteed pool of unclaimed cars that one would assume to have gas in their tank which would continue to grow as the old owners died.

Isolated vehicles on the roadside would have a good chance of being out of gas, yeah. No argument there. However cars in parking lots, traffic jams, even parked outside the home - would realistically keep the average amount an american keeps in their daily-driver at any given point.

Random fun fact, It's actually better for the case of cars having gas as the vehicles showcased in the game come from a time before anti-siphoning measures. Not super relevant but I thought I'd share that too. :) 

I apologize for the lengthy post, I just have this information off-hand as I supported this argument on a different forum relatively recently.

~~

Anyway, I agree with the previous post and the initial complaint, from a gameplay AND realism point of view it would make much more sense for most cars in the current spawns to keep a usable amount of gas, even ones in "accidents" if that comes into play later. Haven't had time to try it out myself but if that many cars are out of gas with generous sandbox settings it could also be a bug or overriding value kicking in too. Let RNG take gas away from isolated abandoned vehicles. Traffic jams and parking lots should be a hot spot for gas siphoning in any apocalypse scenario, the blanket "out of gas" chance should be saved for isolated and abandoned vehicles.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Kim, part of the sudden scarcity is likely the extreme increase in fuel consumption this build, something I think should be reverted. 

But yeah, overall I do think fuel amount is too deterministic. It'd be better to find cars that obviously weren't abandoned with more appropriate amounts of gas.

Hopefully that'll start being included as zoning is worked out.

So, I play the new build on a more powerful rig (amd a8-7410, and Radeon R5 graphics, 8 Gb ram) and the build run pretty faster.

I didn't spot some serious lag, ~35 fps, first 3 days I play only on foot.

Gas is very scarce, I found ~15 vehicles and all of them were empty. After some looting I found a half-empty gas can and decide to try the nearby wagon. When I start to drive the car I spot the huge FPS drop to 15 FPS and lower, it hard to drive the car with such lags. 

Gas presence is really bad for this moment, when the electricity go off we will not be able to took gasoline from the gas station, there is no gas in the cars. We run out of gas on the map for about 1-3 months in game and they become useless.

I really hope for the IWBUMS 38, good work!

Edited by B33ware