Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

I started a new game with the latest version.  A few scattered notes:

• Confirmed that reload issues like light switches and loot are gone.  And it's awesome !
  • If I move the car info window around I can then close it without exiting the car.
  • According to Steam overlay FPS I'm getting mid-high 50s when driving around on furthest zoom.  Occasional drops to mid-high 40s.  Got both around Muldraugh Fossoil station, where there were other vehicles and plenty of zs.  Up around 58-60 driving along the straight SW/NE road NW from the block with Fossoil etc, at full zoom and full speed.  Definitely increases at closer zoom, though is then of course harder to see that 12 seconds ahead ;)
    • When driving fast-ish and zoomed out, I slowed a little and zoomed in, to turn back toward Fossoil.  The view kept going ahead of the car, as if it were moving at the faster rate, until I was stopped by a tree.
    • Edit::  Hmm, make that 35-40 FPS cruising SW down the big road from Zippee mart past Sunstar etc.  When I stopped some more vehicles dropped in.
  • Turning of station wagon seems wider than that of the normal car/sedan and small car/hatchback.
  • Car transferred to higher z-level.  I parked my small car outside Fossoil, grabbed some things and fuel, deposited fuel in boot, and then found I couldn't get back in.  At first the green square showed, but couldn't enter.  I had to run away a bit, then it was clear it had ascended to a higher plane of car-xistence.

It's coming together very nicely.  Despite being a tech test build, I'm more and more able to just play with this.

Edited by Wayfarer

Started a new game today in multiplayer with 4 players. In the space of about 2 hours, we came across the following issues:

- Issues with lag for all players after about 40 minutes of playing. Cars seem to have major latency issues for whoever isn't first to get into the car, where the person activating the car only has minor stuttering.
- 450+ error messages in the space of 20 minutes.
- Permanent engine sound bug whenever another player drives a car near you. Relog required.
- We encountered a car with an engine sound level of 2. All zombies completely ignored it when driving past them. I assume it is intentional for testing purposes, but very overpowered.
- I came across a large invisible item blocking me in the middle of the road somewhere here, presumably an invisible car: https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.4843069349209636,0.16950453680574998,95.39621664406894

Loot related issues:
- Car inventory seems to be individual for all players. Cannot access what someone else puts into the trunk.
- Loot containers are individual for each player. If going to a store, each container has separate loot for each player. Sometimes where a store was full of items for me, it was later completely empty when someone else went to check it. Note: this does not seem to affect loot you put into containers yourself. Base storage seems to allow all players to put items into the same containers.
- A lot of empty containers throughout the world. Bookshelves and kitchen counters were in many cases completely empty. For example, the bookstore in west-point completely empty except for 1 bookshelf. This seems related to the previous issue - where the system possibly fills containers for some players but not for others.
- At the start of the game, we had an issue with all storage containers in our base appearing as empty for one player. Fixed upon relog. My theory is that this is related to whether or not a player is in the same chunk when items are being added to containers.
- Disappearing items. For example, we picked up an Axe, put it into a container and suddenly it was gone. Likely related to the previous issues.
- Item duping upon looting a dead body. When someone dies and another player loots their body, this body seems to still have all items for other players on it and can be looted once by each player.

Will update if i come across anything more tonight!

1 minute ago, iwawa said:

Started a new game today in multiplayer with 4 players. In the space of about 2 hours, we came across the following issues:

Did you have fun? We haven't heard a bunch from MP testers yet, and it will be a focus of Yuri's work next week I'd imagine - so many thanks for the issues feedback :) 

Just now, Batsphinx said:

Did you have fun? We haven't heard a bunch from MP testers yet, and it will be a focus of Yuri's work next week I'd imagine - so many thanks for the issues feedback :) 

We are having loads of fun! Outside of the slight frustration with loot issues, the addition of cars is literally the greatest thing you guys have ever added. We'll keep you updated!

Hello. Guess it's about time I made an account and (hopefully) contribute something useful.

We have also experienced some of the multiplayer issues referenced by iwawa. Hopefully I can add a few more that haven't already been noted.

These are all relating to Windows dedicated server.

Sometimes cannot enter vehicles without logging out and back in. Small red squares appear on the corners when moving close.
Cannot enter with either E or the V menu.

Update (2017-06-02): Reconnecting did not fix it this time, attempted a server restart, the vehicles in question could be entered again.

Seems these are indicators to show that access is obstructed. I had them appear on a vehicle in a highway pile-up. It was on top of a wrecked vehicle. I bumped it off the wreck and was then able to enter it. I will try this with future glitched vehicles to see if it helps.

Building lights automatically turn off when a player enters the cell. (They are also turning off when a player leaves a cell, it seems.)

Container inventory isn't always updating for all connected players.
    Example, Player A transfers items to a container and player B cannot see the new items without reconnecting.

Vehicle storage is very unreliable. It suffers from the same update bug mentioned above, and the contents are lost if player leaves the cell

My brother was breaking down empty crates in a warehouse. When I arrived, I still saw the crates, not the planks/nails. (Screenshots available if needed.) Reconnecting updated my client information to be current.

Vehicle gas tank is titled as Battery on the vehicle information window.

Client occasionally starts using high amounts of CPU. Will usually freeze about 3 times, then crash. Normally happens when driving,
 though I have also had it occur while on foot.
 Update (2017-06-02): Started having this happen near the mall, but have not crashed yet. Spiking is fairly frequent, every 15-20 seconds or so.

Update (Same date): Client never did crash from the mall one, so I suspect this is just a performance issue relating to the large number of nommers, and maybe influenced by the number of vehicles in the area. Driving all the way to the nearby confection diner did not alleviate the issue completely, though it was drastically reduced.

I hope this helps. I can also easily provide image or video help where needed. (Except with the performance issues. Videos might not be so helpful with that I think.)

Unrelated to issues: Loving the vehicles even with the problems. I'm actually pretty impressed with how fast you're getting them going, and I'm impressed that they are as usable as they are. Very excited to make use of their storage, and hopefully carry more than two people in the future. I am building a list of suggestions alongside my bug notes, but I'll save that for another time and another thread.

So long and thanks for all the cars.

A few more bugs found in multiplayer:

- When you run out of a certain range of your car, everything in the trunk storage despawns. Happened consistently when moving too far away.

- When building an item like a wall or wooden crate, this item appears invisible for players who were not in the area when the item was built.
- The previously mentioned lag got a lot worse over time. Looks like it may be a memory leak as it seems to get fixed for some people upon restarting the game.
- Car info window can't be closed while driving. Have to come to a full stop to close it.
- Cars found spawned around towns are not possible to interact with if the four red squares appear on the wheels. I assume this indicates a clipping issue.

- Some houses seem to get "claimed" by other players automatically, making windows/doors unable to be opened or broken. Seemingly some PvP related feature, but this isn't something we have knowingly enabled.
- Light switches, doors and windows turn on/off or open/close randomly by themselves. On two occasions i saw zombies run through closed doors as if they were not there.

Edited by iwawa
added bug

More singleplayer bugs

In singleplayer, when traveling far from an area with a car, returning to the area the car is frequently moved up a z-level. They will float forever. If you right-click the area the car SHOULD be you can still bring up vehicle info.  Also cars will sometimes disappear. This happens to cars I use and cars that I don't touch. This bug kills the baby for me.

When driving, it becomes difficult to interact with the player info window. Clicking on the tabs will not bring up the relevant page. Clicking around the screen first sometimes fixes it.

Also, the draw order is definitely improved for cars. But it seems to have broken for zombies. During combat near say, a building, when you hit them, the building textures (walls and doors) will draw over the zombie. This is most obvious if you find a building with some zombies outside the south side and fight them near the wall.

Edited by sadpickle
Additional info

The police and ranger cars seem to behave like the sedans did the last build that i commented about, Easy enough to drift around but still easy enough to lose control if your not careful.

They are alot of fun to drive, only problem i see is that all the vehicles brakes seem to be way too OP. Currently it seems like you can go 100km/h - 0 in 4 meters.

No one else having the pour into bug? Can't pour water into my watering can, only works if the container contains already fluid
1496480116836 STACK TRACE
1496480116836 -----------------------------------------
1496480116836 function: createMenu -- file: ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.lua line # 567
1496480116836 function: onRightMouseUp -- file: ISInventoryPane.lua line # 1137
java.lang.RuntimeException: Object tried to call nil in createMenu
        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaUtil.fail(KahluaUtil.java:91)
        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:949)
        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1817)
        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)
        at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:77)
        at zombie.ui.UIElement.onRightMouseUp(UIElement.java:1198)
        at zombie.ui.UIElement.onRightMouseUp(UIElement.java:1160)
        at zombie.ui.UIManager.update(UIManager.java:1208)
        at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:615)
        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1275)
        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1051)
        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:180)
1496480244055 -----------------------------------------
1496480244055 STACK TRACE
1496480244055 -----------------------------------------
1496480244055 function: createMenu -- file: ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.lua line # 567
1496480244055 function: onRightMouseUp -- file: ISInventoryPane.lua line # 1137

Edited by Menoxz

It's camping time. :>

http://i.cubeupload.com/VzxVS0.png

http://i.cubeupload.com/bBYeqS.png

I'd rather have made my own 3d model, but couldn't figure out yet how exactly. Also I am lazy, so it's just a simple retexture... Also texture is the same on both sides. Wanted to remove the door on one side, but dunno how the game would react if I'd just remove the code parts. Guess it would be more effective to just make the hitbox extremely small / move it somewhere else where the player can't reach it. Though this could result in weird shit if the player switches seats and then exits the vehicle.

Edited by Lexx2k

10 hours ago, sadpickle said:

More singleplayer bugs

In singleplayer, when traveling far from an area with a car, returning to the area the car is frequently moved up a z-level. They will float forever. If you right-click the area the car SHOULD be you can still bring up vehicle info.  Also cars will sometimes disappear. This happens to cars I use and cars that I don't touch. This bug kills the baby for me.

Please, please, please fix this bug. It's very game breaking when my car goes up floating on me while all my loot was stored in the back. The first time it happened, it was near the fire station and I could get my loot out using cheats. But now, it's floating near my safehouse.

As a note: From what I can tell, issues with loot in multiplayer seem to mostly all be caused by the individual loading of chunks (or whatever you want to call it, areas) not updating based on what information it has given out to other players. In other words, it recreates the data individually every time a chunk is loaded for a new player rather than remembering what it received/told the last player that loaded it. However, upon closing the server, individual chunk info seems to be saved to the server and accurately distributed to the players upon restart.

Example: Player 1 goes to a store and finds containers full of loot. Player 2 goes to the same store and finds 90% of the boxes empty or containing different loot than what Player 1 found. Upon server restart, both players find the boxes containing the loot of Player 1 (supposedly, needs further testing of how accurately it gives out the correct info).

Example: Player 1 builds a wooden crate while Player 2 is not in the area. This wooden crate does effectively not exist for Player 2 until the server is restarted.

Edited by iwawa

A few more things after some hours of playing in multiplayer.

• Zombies do seem to be able to walk through seemingly closed doors every now and then. For the player the door is properly closed (cant walk through) but is also non-targetable. Zombies can just pass through.
  • Loot doesnt load properly when you enter a chunk/cell? too fast. Driving at full speed into a warehouse for example will result in empty containers. We managed to circumvent that by slowly approacing these areas, giving them time to load in properly.
  • The area around the mall on the northeastern end of westpoint is an absolute no-go area in terms of lag and memory leak. Driving even close to it causes the game to repeatedly freeze for seconds, resulting in crashes and unavoidable deaths. We assume that this is somehow related to the amount of cars on the parking lots. Same issues arise when we are near huge parking lots or areas that hold a lot of cars in general. Game drastically slows down up to a point where it becomes unplayable.
  • Items in trunks disappear when you log off.
  • Some issue when exiting the car, forcing a relog to fix. Here is the description of what happened:
    • I was driving around for approx. 50 minutes, had the whole trunk full of loot when the memory leak became pretty nasty so that i was about to make my way back to base.I came past some wrecked cars on the road and decided to syphon some gas before i head home. When exiting the car my character did leave the car but his walking animation became a floating animation and i was not able to interact with any container or my own inventory anymore. I was simply floating around the world as if the game was still thinking that i was sitting inside the car or something. I was also not able to enter the car anymore, nor was I able to drop my items onto the ground. My character was basically trapped and I had to relog in order to fix this. After the relog all the items in the trunk were lost.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Watermel0wned

The MP works fine. Me and @Geras
did some testing last weekend and:

FPS was around 26-50, depends on area.

No major lags etc (after about 1,5h of playing).

There is problem with car trunk sync. He could not see my items in it and vice-versa.

Cars dont harm other players, regardless of pvp settings.

Tested on ez pz co-op, initial (survival) settings. 4GB server ram (8GB on host PC)

Now I need to try with more people and split up a bit ;-)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
macOS Sierra 10.12
Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Generally, everything runs smoothly.  When I'm on foot, I get 55-60 FPS zoomed in, 30-40 zoomed out. When driving, I get 48-60 FPS zoomed in but drops to 19-24 when zoomed out, dropping as low as 14 in more zombie/car populated areas. Cars and zombies sometimes spawn out of nowhere, usually when driving at high speeds. After loading my save, car spawning was a bit weird. Most cars were a level/floor above. When driving past Pizza Whirled the cars spawned like below. I'm in the green car on the right.

20170605200041_1.thumb.jpg.4a49855dae6d3f44eff6f77042567db0.jpg

I drove past again later, the cars were in different positions.

20170605201020_1.thumb.jpg.0954e520f34087ae18b120a9f7d9a882.jpg

Also the burnt out cars can be rammed and they slide down the road like a hockey puck. You don't even have to be going particularly fast. Its quite fun actually, driving along side trying to clear its path. Kinda like curling but with cars.

Lastly, the sound of the running car needs to stop when the game is paused. it's quite irritating. Apart from that, everything else I noticed has already been mentioned. Great job so far guys.

Edited by OffitMan
Add attachments

5 hours ago, sadpickle said:

In those screens it looks like the cars are moving up z-levels. They probably increment by one z every time the cell loads or something.

Someone forgot a decimal point somewhere... pls fix devs

Yuri fixed this last night, so we'll push a new build later today.

New version:

• Bug fixed: Cars sometimes raise high in the sky on the Z axis - meaning they become out of reach.
  • Bug fixed: Fixed an occasional, sudden increase in memory usage that stalls the game after a minute or so of play.
  • Bug fixed: Possible to sleep forever in a moving car, sleep when not tired and even sleep when driving!

1 hour ago, RobertJohnson said:

New version:

• Bug fixed: Cars sometimes raise high in the sky on the Z axis - meaning they become out of reach.

Nope, still happens. Saw some cars spawning on level 2.

I'm also around 75% sure that some vans hover slightly above the ground when being driven around. Happened to me when i was driving one with the old skin.

Edit: Screens (This is a fresh new save created after the update)
PEioZu8.png

I'm fairly certain that van is NOT on the ground, getting in and driving around it stays that way.

3k1MbGV.png

Spawned like this, stayed like this after reloading.

Edited by Svarog