Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

Regarding the sports car "tipping" like the above poster said, if it's not there already there should probably be some kind of number that tells a car how top heavy/tall it is. Sports cars generally have a really low center of gravity, so they're extremely difficult to flip even if they do turn quickly. Meanwhile, a van would flip much easier taking the exact same turns.

1 hour ago, Strats said:

do pickup trucks only spawn in Rosewood and March Ridge? Those are the only places I have ever seen pickup trucks in the numerous worlds I have loaded.

I found a pickup at the "north farm" outside Muldraugh.

Edited by Wayfarer

6 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

New version!

• The ‘engine ignition’ key has been changed to ‘W’. [Please take note of this!]
  • Wheel placement now correct on each individual vehicle
  • Handling/feel updated for each individual vehicle. [WIP! Feedback required!]
  • FPS optimization through adding new caching to the LightingJNI interface
  • ‘Survivor is stuck on top of a flipped car’ bug fixed

Wait, does that mean that 'W' is both the ignition key AND the accelerate key? I'm confused. Is 'E' still the "enter/exit" key? How can you drive a car if you're constantly pressing the button to kill the engine because it's the same button to move the car forward?

12 minutes ago, Brex said:

Wait, does that mean that 'W' is both the ignition key AND the accelerate key? I'm confused. Is 'E' still the "enter/exit" key? How can you drive a car if you're constantly pressing the button to kill the engine because it's the same button to move the car forward?

W == start engine / accelerate
E == Shut off engine and exit
N == shut off engine (probably still there.)

Just now, EnigmaGrey said:

W == start engine / accelerate
E == Shut off engine and exit

Ohhh, so E is still the kill engine button but W just starts the car. I see, that actually makes more sense. 

1 hour ago, hunger john said:

Is there a way to leave the car idling while on foot? 

I did manage to keep the car running by accidentally pressing W at the same time I pressed E to exit it, engine started when I was outside of it and I did manage to get back into it (Via passanger seat and switching it from there btw couldn't get into driver seat otherwise) and drive away. It feels unintentional tho.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It does still work for starting it an turning it off.

Edited by Svarog

I don't like the way the vehicles handle since the update, I really liked the way the sedan handled last build. You could drift it with some practice but if you weren't careful you would still spin out. It was ALOT of fun to drive and would fit the sports car perfectly.

You had to slow down on corners unless you were really good which had benefits if eventually you get injuries from crashing, Driving fast if your good but at the risk of crashing and injury, Or just taking it slow and safe at the cost of speed.

The delivery van can turn almost 90 degrees at full speed in the current build if you slam the brakes then quickly steer in either direction and foot off the gas.

Also the Mcoy logging truck drives like a tank lol

Edited by Neutralnz1

1 hour ago, Neutralnz1 said:

I don't like the way the vehicles handle since the update, I really liked the way the sedan handled last build. You could drift it with some practice but if you weren't careful you would still spin out. It was ALOT of fun to drive and would fit the sports car perfectly.

You had to slow down on corners unless you were really good which had benefits if eventually you get injuries from crashing, Driving fast if your good but at the risk of crashing and injury, Or just taking it slow and safe at the cost of speed.

The delivery van can turn almost 90 degrees at full speed in the current build if you slam the brakes then quickly steer in either direction and foot off the gas.

Also the Mcoy logging truck drives like a tank lol

Because all the vehicles now handle fairly differently to each other, we're going to have to be a lot more precise in this thread about exactly which vehicles people have been driving. 

Is this feedback on purely the cars you mention, or all of them?

Also, just as importantly, have people seen an FPS improvement?

I did noticed a slight improvement / less stuttering. I haven't checked out max speed and the sudden vehicle popin, etc yet though. Will do more tests later today. 

By the way, I like this quicker patch pacing. Reminds me of the daily ArmA3 dev branch updates... updates every day, but folks are aware that the game might be broken at any time (which is why it is called the dev branch). At the same time, they can feel the development process and usually it is faster to pinpoint (newly introduced) bugs. No idea if a similar patch cycle could work with pz, but I sure as hell wouldn't mind it.

Played around a lot more, personally I really like how vehicles handle now though I miss drifting like crazy with a station wagon every time I tried to make a turn :P

Btw, picture of Cars that spawned 3-4+ levels above ground. Fresh save. This is the first I saw them, they spawned like this. One has an old texture. Makes testing difficult somewhat :S

Spoiler

RG1fli8.png

3 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Because all the vehicles now handle fairly differently to each other, we're going to have to be a lot more precise in this thread about exactly which vehicles people have been driving. 

Police car handles like the station wagon used to, turning at even moderate speeds can get me a 180 drift. It's fun to mess around with but get's annoying when trying to get places.

Edited by Svarog

4 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Those were specifically for the ones i mentioned, the sedan last build was the most fun i've had with the vehicles branch overall though. The slowing down part on corners i mentioned was just for the sedan, all the others were either too much or too little spin out last build.

Ive yet to test the police cars among others in the current build, Do they share the same physics with the other sedan models or are all the variations different?

Edited by Neutralnz1

Okay, so I just lagged and crashed.

I'm trying to use the mods I usually use, and I'm surprised of how well it actually went, so I kept playing.

Mods I use: all from Workshop

- BookCollection

- Nocturnal Zombies

- HairStyle

- Spoons Female Skin

- Spoons Male Skin

So this is what happend:

I accidentally used up the battery on the car I found, because the light were on for far too long without me noticing, so I had to switch to another car. I unloaded the old car and loaded everything I had gathered into the new car. Before leaving the area I got stubborn and wanted to get the old car out of the road, so I kept turning the car on, drove it a meter (or so), before it went dead. This I kept doing till it was off the road. I wanted to empty the passenger seat for stuff, but it wouldn't let me, so I gave up and realized I could get out of the car either. I quit to reload and I could both take my stuff and get of the the old car.

I went to the new car and drove off to collect some more stuff. Shortly after a helicopter came and flew around, so I had to flee because of too many zombies. This is where the lag started. I ran to the car, hoping the lag would go away and got into the car and started driving. But the lag got so bad so fast, I hardly could react and by the time I hit Esc it crashed and I had to force the game to shut down.

I went back in and loaded the map just to find out, that the new car were gone. I thought maybe it was back at the old car. It wasn't. I found another car and drove around, but the new car were nowhere to be found. It had been erased from the map, I'm sure. 

- I wrote everything down leading to the crash, because I wanted to be sure everything of importance is here.

And a side note: When I started this game yesterday I could turn light-switches on and off. Today after loading the game, I can't anymore. I tried loading again, but I still can't turn them on. Lamps seems to be permanently on, but I can turn them off by taking the bulb out.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:43 PM, Batsphinx said:

I'm not certain that I've noticed an improvement.  Not to say there actually isn't one for me, as I didn't track the FPS before.  I just tried F8 for display FPS and F11 for debug, but nothing came up in-game.  Is that normal?  There's still a bit of degradation, but mostly when zoomed out and probably at higher speeds.  I'll do more to test later.

• I've also seen cars higher on the z-axis (ones I haven't used).
  • I was playing for a while and kept seeing repeating messages in the console to do with "moving vehicle back onto chunk".
  • I tested quitting while in-car and reloading, it crashed to main menu and created the _crash game save.  I attached a pic of the console message.  EDIT:  I could load the _crash save, and the car was higher on the z-axis.
  • The vehicle info window appeared to get stuck open until I got out of the car (the x didn't work).

I can comment on reloading a save with more repetitive results across games:

• Loot distribution changes.  It seems like containers in particular locations may be getting the distribution properties of other locations, or maybe the rates are being drastically impacted...or something :S
    • e.g. houses in general.  On new game, it's all normal.  After reload, I don't find much at all, and what I do find is proportionally lots of pens, flashlights seem more common than "normal", kitchen counters don't really have anything, especially food items, that sort of thing.
    • e.g. Muldraugh farmers market which I think is a pretty safe bet for lots of food across games, with produce being very much the majority, the shelves in the centre were bare but the graphic was as if it there were items.  Assuming that's not an affect of dynamic loot, it seemed bug-like.  The fridge freezers also had burgers and meat, I'm thinking normally they perhaps wouldn't?  Slim example, yeah, but still hopefully useful.
  • Compared to "normal", interior-locked doors to bedrooms etc are much more common, which I can't open from either side.

My system:

• Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • DirectX 11
  • GeForce GT 740M
  • Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz
  • 12GB RAM
  • Presence of strands of golden retriever fur likely

crash_save_and_reload_in_car.png

Edited by Wayfarer

Super-quick Public Information Notice:

You guys are providing some amazing and super-useful bug reports and feedback, for which you get free Spiffo Points from here until eternity. If you could keep bug reports to this, and associated, threads it'd be really handy though. We need to keep the official Bug Tracker clear/clean for RJ's main build and Build 38 stuff if at all possible. 

Thanks!

Interesting thing about map streaming, it's as if initially it loads some really old version of them map, old enough that there are still "Bush" containers sometimes filled with berries (I think that was a thing before I even got the game in late 2014) in certain areas, they disappear after a short while as the map catches up to it's more current state.

Screenshot: If I moved it would disappear, the map cached up but it looked different when the berry bush thing was available.

Spoiler

nClQ5xb.png

Edit: Note, this cannot be noticed without speeding through woods in ghost mode but vehicles also move fast enough to where the same effect applies. It's fairly possible to hit invisible trees with a car and as the map catches up they'll finally appear along with various amounts of grass and bushes. I suppose maybe it's the Erorion related stuff that's being loaded in?

Edited by Svarog
Info

Okay, so I've been playing around with it some more and I noticed that light switches and loot tables are all well and good until I quit and start back up.  Loot doesn't seem to mess up every single time, but light switches for sure break after restarting.  Some cars are also on a higher level of Z axis than they should be and just float near houses.  Aside from that, major improvements to performance and stability.

Still loving it! Keep up the awesome work devs!

Played around with the newest version for a few minutes, can initially confirmed that several bugs are fixed.

• Streetlights and Lamps are off when power is off.
  • Sprite overlays (Books etc.) appear on shelves when there are items inside.
  • Loot Tables seem to work fine on reloaded game.
  • Tiles transition into one another correctly.
  • Performance seems to be better on a reloaded save where before it was visibly far worse than on fresh new game.
  • The issue of being able to see inside buildings without LOS leading in gone.

I'll go ahead and play as I normally would for a few hours, see if it breaks or if I find anything new. Thanks for fixing all that.

Edit: Bugs remaining

• Can start a car that has no gas with "W" key ("N" key has no effect but can still be used to start a car otherwise) And drive for a few seconds.
  • Pressing "W" and "E" simultanously the player can exit the vehicle while it keeps running, the vehicle can be re-entered as normal, however the engine sound follows the player. I assume this is not intended to be possible. Not yet anyway.
  • Engine noise is usually only coming on either right or left headphone, it gets really annoying after a while.
  • Tiny Pine Trees (Other tiny trees too, Erosion generated) Can stop a car dead while they look like they could be torn out of the ground with bare hands.
  • Vehicles Spawn above ground, when area is revisited they tend to go even further up.
  • When entering the vehicle, the inventory can lock up until the inventory window bar is clicked on, attempting to place something in the glove box might fail, occasionally, the entire character will lock up in his standing animation, sometimes unable to interact with anything. It's weird and random, sometimes hard to reproduce.
  • Can refuel cars from gas pumps with no power like Lexx2k reports below.
  • "Pour Into" Option doesn't work. [Like in 37.14]
  • Opening the crafting menu fills the console with errors if the selected category is "Electrical"
Edited by Svarog

Ah yes. New version everyone!

Mainly bug fixes.

• Bug fixed: Interior car doors are locked, and cannot be unlocked from the other side. Also sometimes the door on the driver’s seat is locked, but the passenger seat door is unlocked.
  • Bug fixed: 'Rain falls through roofs on first floors.
  • Bug fixed: Street Lights and Lamps work even when there is no electricity.
  • Bug fixed: Loot tables on a reloaded game (and possibly other bugs associated with reloads)

Another bug that pains me a little bit to report, because I am living off of it right now. :cry:

Power is off, gas station can't be used anymore to gather fuel.... except for cars. You can still refuel cars, then use an empty gas can to get the fuel out of the car, then refuel the car again via the gas station, etc...

I love vehicles; honestly even if they are zombie magnets they change the whole meta. A few things:

Driving from Muldraugh to WP takes only 1/8th a tank. I feel I could probably cross the whole map on a single tank. Maybe make it more expensive to drive? Especially since vehicles make it pretty easy to drive around to all the gas stations gobbling up all the gas before the power cut.  If fuel can be pulled from other vehicles (which I would recommend), there's potentially a LOT of gas on the map, even without full tanks.

I can read a skill book while driving. This is probably a bug,  because after starting I could not get out of the vehicle, turn it off etc. I was stuck in "reading" mode. I tried to sleep in the vehicle to reset it, but while I was sleeping I guess the zeds broke my car because I woke up outside it. I also noticed I could eat and drink while driving which was handy. 

I can sleep in a car but not rest in a car. I suggest adding a rest option to the radial menu.  Cars are pretty comfy! If the goal is to keep cars from being to OP, let me point out I could easily toss a lawn chair in the trunk if you guys are gonna be meany heads.

All the cars I tried had heaters but I didn't see any with AC. Also, I seem to get hot really fast. I had the overheated moodle more often playing with cars.

I also had the issue of there seeming to be way too little loot spawning, but I assume this is just a facet of the vehicle test build.

In closing, I am dying to play with cars in the full release branch. 

1 hour ago, sadpickle said:

If fuel can be pulled from other vehicles (which I would recommend), there's potentially a LOT of gas on the map, even without full tanks.

I can read a skill book while driving. This is probably a bug,  because after starting I could not get out of the vehicle, turn it off etc. I was stuck in "reading" mode. I tried to sleep in the vehicle to reset it, but while I was sleeping I guess the zeds broke my car because I woke up outside it. I also noticed I could eat and drink while driving which was handy.

Fuel can be pulled from other vehicles if you have an empty gas can in your inventory. I found that sometimes you'd need to drain 3-4 cars to get one full gas canister which I think would be half the tank when poured into the car.

Sometimes the inventory and the character lock up when transfering/using items while in the vehicle, I found that clicking on the upper bar of the inventory window can unlock it. If the character is stuck in some animation after exiting the vehicle try attacking something, might help

Not really sure what causes that to happen.

Edit: By the way, after a few hours of looking good, tiles broke again. No idea why. Tiles transition correctly if Double Sized textures are off. And no turning that off and on restarting the map and reloading the game each time doesn't fix the issue for double sized tiles.
http://i.imgur.com/yjcd88q.png

Edit 2: Turning on texture compression fixed it, hopefully it'll stay that way. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just something wrong on my end.

Edited by Svarog

2 hours ago, sadpickle said:

I found this too.  In the short term, you can use an "attack", to break out of reading.

2 hours ago, sadpickle said:

All the cars I tried had heaters but I didn't see any with AC. Also, I seem to get hot really fast. I had the overheated moodle more often playing with cars.

I always thought the overheated moodle was about being overexposed to zombies, but in this case it's because you're sitting in the sun in Kentucky (in July, if you go with default settings).  I think it makes sense.  I'd love to see A/C, but think we'd need more drawbacks from not having A/C in the rest of the game for an impact.  I'm an indoorsy type myself.