Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

7 minutes ago, Drama_Setter said:

Bugs : 

1. if you will try to shut off car engine by using context menu,you get error 

2. After starting the car engine,the car jumps a little

20170519011409_1.jpg

Did your game ever freeze and crash? Mine's been doing that since Mash's new textures were implemented. 

26 minutes ago, Brex said:

Did your game ever freeze and crash? Mine's been doing that since Mash's new textures were implemented. 

Not sure yet,played with new textures only 5 - 15 minutes..

Give me a hour or more..

Upd : nah,everything is still okay

Edited by Drama_Setter

Okay, my latest update is that everything seems to be working way better than last time.  So far the only issue I've had aside from the usual draw errors is sometimes when I get into a car, I can't do anything.  I can pull up the menus and interact with them, but actual movement and interact actions stopped working.  Quitting to menu and reloading fixed the issue, however.

Cars are much better sound-wise and I don't seem to be crashing upon exit anymore.  Also, lights are working again. :)

13 hours ago, ContactMushroom said:

Okay, my latest update is that everything seems to be working way better than last time.  So far the only issue I've had aside from the usual draw errors is sometimes when I get into a car, I can't do anything.  I can pull up the menus and interact with them, but actual movement and interact actions stopped working.  Quitting to menu and reloading fixed the issue, however.

Cars are much better sound-wise and I don't seem to be crashing upon exit anymore.  Also, lights are working again. :)

If you can't start car engine - switch seat.

Decided to finally make an account and post stuff after lurking forever, so hi everyone.

Anyways, noticed a few bugs of my own no one's mentioned yet, and feel like helping by mentioning them.

First off, and this is just more weird than anything, I saw a car spawn on top of another car.20170519054104_1.thumb.jpg.1329f59d84226a15895aecadbd97495a.jpg

I didn't mess with it, though, so I can't tell if they worked, and I think I deleted that save after I died. Just gonna have to take my word for it that I didn't put a car on top of another car for a laugh unless I can find another one. And in case it matters, that picture was at the Rosewood police station.

Second one, and this is a little less unimportant, fire, at least for me, spams errors whenever it's on screen. Even paused and minimized, looking at the console is an endless stream of "java.lang.NullPointerExcepion". This doesn't seem to be breaking anything visibly, and things can and will still burn, but it happens, and it does seem to slow the game slightly, so I suspect it really is breaking something I can't see..

Apart from that, I've seen a few of the same bugs everyone else has, and figured may as well mention that one more person is seeing that. Namely, the one that's the most annoying is item spawns being broken. Breaking into the police armories for a gun, or storming a gas station, or breaking into someplace that has medical supplies only to find nothing useful is one I've noticed quite a bit. As far as I can tell, though, and I could be wrong, this mostly happens after reloading a save.

I've also had a bug more than once where I get into a car, and the controls lock up. Like someone else said, quitting and reloading fixes it, but it's happened a few times. The draw order problem happens frequently too, but I've seen it happen most noticeably when zombies get knocked over near some walls.

And finally, though this one may be working as intended, if you flip a car, and get out, anything in the trunk or the glove box or what-have-you, it's all stuck in the car unless you get another car and slam into it until it's righted. If cars get a little harder to actually get, this could be problematic, and while it might just be me, I can't really see much of a reason you couldn't get into the trunk even if the car's upside-down. Doubly so for anything in the passenger seat, that seems like it should be easy enough to retrieve.

I'll also agree with what I've seen mentioned earlier. I never tried the first version of the vehicle test, so I don't really know what it was like, but the zombies seem to be a little oblivious to cars. I spent a good 5 minutes driving around the mall parking lot, and only after I realized I could shoot from inside the car did I actually get them to really chase me. The rest of the time, I'd drive by, and they'd shuffle to where I passed from and stand there until I passed them again.

12 hours ago, Drama_Setter said:

If you can't start car engine - switch seat.

It wasn't that, the option was there, just none of them worked. I couldn't turn the lights on or off, or get in/out of the car whatsoever.  Also want to note that this has now happened 3 times where interacting with a vehicle seemed to shut everything off but camera zoom and pause menu.  Reloading always fixes it.

On 2017-5-17 at 11:01 PM, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Some feedback: In my opinion the police car shouldn't be all white, It makes it look really out of place. All other vehicle textures look great though. Maybe the police car texture's should look something like this?

cee008_7728fe02cfc8544a7fb9f84f3500c103.jpg_srz_595_285_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg

When I initially designed the Police texture my thoughts were what you might find in rural Kentucky. Research threw up a myriad of designs, in part because of the different types of Police (state, county, metropolitan etc) but also the fragmented structure of Police forces in America.

Once Louisville makes an appearance this design will be more applicable. That's not to say the current one will stay white, depending on what Mash thinks and wants to do, a colour change may happen if it jars with the rest.

Also, for those raising concerns on wheel placement, they'll change. Some do clip the wheel arches at the moment as they're placed in code an not part of the car mesh export. It's on the task list, like shadows but performance, stability and functionality is priority atm.

So far, and ignoring the obvious performance issues and jackhammeringly bad sound effects (the engine sound makes my ears bleed), my main issue with the cars is that whole ''Zed surfing'' thing.

I can ram a security stepvan into a thick horde of Zed in a manner reminiscent of that one episode of Highschool of the Dead, but if I as much bump a Zed at the kind of speed that wouldn't amount for a bruise in real life and knock it down, my car will flip like it was suddenly possessed by the spirit of Evel Knievel and ramps off them. And it's impossible to always be at high speed.

And speaking of Stepvans, I've found them to be my favorite choice of car (again, I once drove one of those, and I even find myself sometimes entering via the right door expecting the steering wheel to be there), because since they're pretty much a lunchbox on wheels, they will not sideflip; if they fall on their sides, they will go back down on their wheels without issue, so they're the most resilient to the Zurfing thing.

1 minute ago, Brex said:

http://www.policecarwebsite.net/st17.html

Here's a good reference for both current and old designs of police cars in Kentucky

You actually beat me to linking this by just a minute.

I think it'd be great if a few police cars could be turned dark blue, like the Kansas State Troopers occasionally have. But they primarily appear to have white patrol vehicles.

Just now, GHawkins said:

You actually beat me to linking this by just a minute.

I think it'd be great if a few police cars could be turned dark blue, like the Kansas State Troopers occasionally have. But they primarily appear to have white patrol vehicles.

From what I understand, there are currently four major police departments in Knox County, i.e. the current game:

- Muldraugh Police Department

- West Point Police Department

- Knox County Sheriff's Department

- Kentucky State Police

(Due to its huge size compared to the size of the actual town, I consider the Rosewood station to be the headquarters of the Knox County Sheriff's Department rather than something like "Rosewood Police Department". It makes more sense that the Rosewood station is actually headquarters for a sheriff's department that would have jurisdiction over the entire county, including March Ridge, which doesn't even have a station.)

Muldraugh PD's cars would probably be white. WP's should be blue and gold based on actual WP police I've seen. The sheriff's department would probably be a combination of white and blue, while the State Police would, as you said, be dark blue. 

14 minutes ago, Brex said:

From what I understand, there are currently four major police departments in Knox County, i.e. the current game:

- Muldraugh Police Department

- West Point Police Department

- Knox County Sheriff's Department

- Kentucky State Police

(Due to its huge size compared to the size of the actual town, I consider the Rosewood station to be the headquarters of the Knox County Sheriff's Department rather than something like "Rosewood Police Department". It makes more sense that the Rosewood station is actually headquarters for a sheriff's department that would have jurisdiction over the entire county, including March Ridge, which doesn't even have a station.)

Muldraugh PD's cars would probably be white. WP's should be blue and gold based on actual WP police I've seen. The sheriff's department would probably be a combination of white and blue, while the State Police would, as you said, be dark blue. 

I don't think the game area is large enough to justify individual police cars for each town. It'd probably just be better off with a generic rural sheriff's variant to represent most of the more isolated map parts, and state police for the larger urban center in Louisville.  KY Department of Fish & Wildlife resources would also generally act as civil authority, wouldn't they?

I wonder if cars can be set to only appear in certain areas.

Edited by hunger john

2 minutes ago, Brex said:

Based on the very grainy images google streetview gives, I'd concur with the white for Muldraugh PD. Although, in real life, Muldraugh does not really have a very big police department. From what I've been able to find, they right now employ 4 officers. So I don't think that real life can be a source here, since I think they don't have a dedicated squad car.

I've been able to find an image of a West Point patrol car, which was all blue, no gold involved.

On the topic of Knox County... I have found out that Knox County isn't anywhere near where the game is set. Knox County is here;

1920px-Map_of_Kentucky_highlighting_Knox

Which is very close to the border Tennessee, to the south. The game is actually set in Meade County, which is here;

1920px-Map_of_Kentucky_highlighting_Mead

Which would make it the Meade County Sheriff's Department.  And those guys roll in silver cruisers.

Hate to change the subject fellas, but I've been encountering new bugs:

1) Many interiors are now partially visible despite not being in my character's direct line of sight, and despite having windows covered, doors closed, etcetera. Basically, I can see into rooms that I shouldn't be able to see into, even when I'm outside the building. 

2) A lot of doors are now perma-locked for some reason. Usually you can automatically unlock a door if you open it from the inside, but many of the doors I've encountered remain locked even when I try opening them from the inside. 

3) The walls of the Muldraugh police station go invisible sometimes

4) Light switches have stopped working again

Hopefully these can be fixed sooner than later. (Also I'm playing unmodded so I know it's not mods that are causing the bugs this time)

15 minutes ago, Brex said:

2) A lot of doors are now perma-locked for some reason. Usually you can automatically unlock a door if you open it from the inside, but many of the doors I've encountered remain locked even when I try opening them from the inside. 

This might be working as intended. Not all doors have a lock where only one side requires a key. In all honesty, I have rarely seen a lock in real life which requires a key on the outside but has a switch or something on the inside. And the times I saw it, I recall it being in a retirement home.

Might be different for the USA, but I think it's pretty workable.

10 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Remember that Project Zomboid is set in the very early 90s . . .

I understand that, but police departments rarely change colour scheme for their vehicles. The LAPD (black and white) and NYPD (blue and white) for example have used the same colours for decades now. Thus a modern Muldraugh cruiser could give a hint to their livery in the 90's.

There's not a lot of other sources available on Muldraugh PD... if you can call 4 officers that...