Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

What makes them no longer useful for attracting hordes? I can still do it just fine, and all things considered It should never have been "as intended" for how it attracted zed before. This is what a horn should be used for, and for logic sake should require slow speed.

The scene in the walking dead where Merle drove a car slowly and blasted music to send a horde in the area of his former comrades comes to mind.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

1 minute ago, Kim Jong Un said:

What makes them no longer useful for attracting hordes? I can still do it just fine, and all things considered It should never have been "as intended" for how it attracted zed before. This is what a horn should be used for, and for logic sake should require slow speed.

The scene in the walking dead where Merle drove a car slowly and blasted music to send a horde in the area of his former comrades comes to mind.

They stop following you within half a screen unless you go very slowly. Zombies seem to have a low chance of actually honing you in when in motion. There'll be no circling the block to move them from around a house or building now, you'd have to drive close to every zombie and hope they "hook on" and don't fall behind.

Having to manually and constantly blast a horn to do this just doesn't sound very appealing to me, though I"ll give the radio a shot.

Loud sounds is how attracting zed hordes from a vehicle has been portrayed a lot outside of this medium so I would hope mashing a horn is a viable method here.

That said I'm still not seeing the zed "give up" as easy as you imply, perhaps this is tied to the already existing sandbox option for zed sound-follow distance.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Report:

Really like the new textures. The wood panels on the station wagons. The fact that you still included a few variants without the wood is impressive (smart!) as well and I'm glad you guys ended up going with this.

Found a few old-texture vans.

1247859BF50F71ED2682446F51A66DA9C1B3A73E

There are still a few issues with the draw order of cars. Hopefully these help.

B343D69EE2AF4F89ACE1064667890EE426A252B4

3288F7E2783F4B538B951625372D71453AD0DB00

This could also just be a RNG thing but the supermarket parking lot in Rosewood was barren of anything, no cars.

I'm glad that you guys are listening to the feedback a lot and not just going into it with tunnel vision. Vehicles are going to great when the kinks get ironed out. I can't wait to use these on my server.

11 minutes ago, sharkstertheshark said:

Would you guys consider adding in drunk and otherwise impaired driving? Drinking behind the wheel and not sleeping during those loot hauls should have penalties.

*spits water out of mouth*

YES! This would be an awesome way to add some penalties to the great elixir of wisdom.

Does the car scale seem really off to anybody else? They're pretty big in comparison to the player, and they can just barely fit in normal garages, not to mention only one at a time fitting on a lot of roads.  And I don't know if it's just the perspective, but a lot of the cars, namely the sports car, seem wider towards the front end than in the back.

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶h̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶h̶a̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶?̶ ̶

Edit: Cars look amazing now. Love how you can place items in the glove box/front seat. Overall phenomenal and exceeded all my expectations. I'd like to suggest the handling be adjusted a little, it's pretty difficult to make turns without going off the curb in vans.

Edited by hunger john

1 hour ago, hunger john said:

Does the car scale seem really off to anybody else? They're pretty big in comparison to the player, and they can just barely fit in normal garages, not to mention only one at a time fitting on a lot of roads.  And I don't know if it's just the perspective, but a lot of the cars, namely the sports car, seem wider towards the front end than in the back.

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶h̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶h̶a̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶?̶ ̶

Edit: Cars look amazing now. Love how you can place items in the glove box/front seat. Overall phenomenal and exceeded all my expectations. I'd like to suggest the handling be adjusted a little, it's pretty difficult to make turns without going off the curb in vans.

Cars are scaled to the models used in newer animations, so they'll continue looking a bit off until they're released.

ByzMwUFIcAEKair.pngp

This isn't it.

17 hours ago, Colin said:

Speak for yourself, regardless, I am not specifically stating this for electric vehicles, but for other potential items that would exist outside the predefined date..... as a procedural game content creator, game developer and programming language developer, I know exactly how much work it is developing features that require procedural generation or replacement.... creating new layouts for buildings is not hundreds of hours of work but instead days of planning and coordination, with some ideas between the current devs, I'm pretty sure they can do it...... (whether they would want to is a complete different story) buildings already can be pre-burned, so placing "invisible plots" for buildings that did not exist before and replacement buildings would not be difficult at all since they have already built the necessary tools.....

What you're neglecting to realize is that we're talking about 8 - 10 people who already have their own roadmap, and already have their hands full in achieving their parts. It's unreasonable to expect them to expand the focus of the game in a direction that doesn't fit their original vision and will take many hours of extra work. And for what? It doesn't add anything too meaningful to the gameplay formula. Gamers, for the most part, don't like meaningless RNG reskins or games that are wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle (No Man's Sky and Starbound's criticisms come to mind first). In almost every case I've experienced, RNG systems are inferior to hand-crafted content, and we have enough games that rely heavily on RNG. I'm not interested in having that come to Zomboid, because it cheapens the experience. Part of Zomboid's charm is the fact that most of its content (I won't say all because there are certainly things I don't know) was built with love from the ground-up, and hand-crafted. They even use their own proprietary engine because today's done-to-death Unity and Unreal engines were not readily available to them at the time. 

Also, when you have a map the size of 2 - 3 real cities, what is the gameplay benefit of changing layouts of buildings? If you want a fresh experience, you're certainly free to travel to one of the 3-4 cities already in the game, and they are adding more areas at a solid pace. On top of that, there are so many full maps added to the base map (in different areas so you can use more than one at once if you would like) made by modders that if you installed each one, it would almost be a completely filled map. It's just meaningless to me. However, the only opinion-based statement I agreed with in this post was the statement about generating empty plots where buildings would be. I had actually thought about how nice that would be several days ago when I saw this area of the Muldraugh map.

Edited by BayCon

So I tried again yesterday and today, I still have the bug with everything in black around the car if I quit the game in a car, itmade the game crash finally

I also had this weird bug a moment ago but I don't know if it's car related

It's hard to see the rain drops but it's raining in my house I don't know why, i just destroyed the stairs

20170518171242_1.thumb.jpg.f9a517f74837059e60564bfa3bcc6764.jpg

So, I figured out why I had no car containers. The solution was obvious and I should have thought about that right from the very beginning: Mods.

Did lots of testing and at the end figured out that "Quick Containers" is at fault. With this mod enabled, none of the cars will have accessible containers.

Edited by Lexx2k

11 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

So, I figured out why I had no car containers. The solution was obvious and I should have thought about that right from the very beginning: Mods.

Did lots of testing and at the end figured out that "Quick Containers" is at fault. With this mod enabled, none of the cars will have accessible containers.

This is why they always tell you to turn off mods when testing... lol

39 minutes ago, The White Wolf said:

So I tried again yesterday and today, I still have the bug with everything in black around the car if I quit the game in a car, itmade the game crash finally

I also had this weird bug a moment ago but I don't know if it's car related

It's hard to see the rain drops but it's raining in my house I don't know why, i just destroyed the stairs

20170518171242_1.thumb.jpg.f9a517f74837059e60564bfa3bcc6764.jpg

I was going to say the no-staircase sheet rope strategy was risky, but I see you left your door unbarricaded. Actually.. It still is risky bro. Zombies can tear down sheet ropes now so do be careful. I usually make sure the rope is there before exiting, and I make sure there's a rope at every window, so in case some go out, I'll still have some to use.

43 minutes ago, The White Wolf said:

This has been reported both in this thread (and I think in the IWBUMS 37.14 branch too!)

Essentially, the roofs don't work.  If you have a walkable floor above you, it blocks the rain, but roof tiles seem not to.

12 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'd say sound's been nerfed to the other extreme. Starting up a car seems to only attract the closet zombies. Driving past hordes, they often won't turn and notice  you until you're almost right on top of them. Zombies only follow until you out pace them by 20-30 tiles then just stop. If you shut off your engine, only the ones within 10-15 tiles seem to keep coming, though they sometimes lose focus and just stand there.

Now they're no longer useful  for distraction or moving hordes around unless you go really, really slowly - and even then it's debatable. Maybe the radio would help, but haven't bothered.

On the plus, performance in Six Months After is now good. Without having all those zombies path-finding to a single object, it's very playable. Just without this, it's now very easy to "win." Drive around / through hordes, go to a clear area. Live in peace and harmony. A damage model would, of course, change that since there's so many of them, but I genuinely found it much more fun trying to move them out of the way with the vehicle's noise mechanics, than shouting or carrying around a gun. It's hard to conceptualize how this'll play out.

This really does kill the enjoyment for me, though. I really did like the hustle and movement present in the prior build. It was fun thinking of how to mitigate the flood of zombies that'd come trying to start up an old beater, not to meant filling it with loot as quietly as possible before fleeing, and using other cars / noise makers as distractions to loot high-value targets. Losing the hordes by zigging and zagging complimented it nicely, realism be damnmed.

Sandbox options for sound radiuses changed would be very helpful.

Not everyone has a PC that can handle "floods" of zombies, and it still wouldn't be able to even after optimization. Also, there's a difference between "hordes" and nearly every zombie in the city .  With this build, I can reach a somewhat stable 24 fps. It's still not comparable to the 60 I used to maintain, but it's getting there. 

I will say, however, that I like the radius the way it is now. It's almost a full screen, which is more realistic anyway. I still found myself carrying a large horde on my back and having a vehicle-related death. I think a way to keep this radius while still making the car difficult is to have an unforgiving damage model for hitting too many zeds. This is kinda graphic and dark, but if hitting one deer can do this...

Image result for car after hitting deerImage result for car after hitting deer

...we can make hitting a handful of humans (which weigh on average in between a doe and a male deer), just as punishing to the performance of the car (to be clear I'm not asking for full-body car denting and breaking mechanics lol ;).

While I'm for the idea of increasing the Radius of Attraction a little bit, just a teeeeny tiiiny bit , what was present in the old build is not beneficial to gameplay. Driving around to find a house to stay in was not possible because you'd have every zombie in a 3 block radius sweeping through it and breaking all the windows before you can even get out of the car. That's just one example too. 

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Cars are scaled to the models used in newer animations, so they'll continue looking a bit off until they're released.

Reveal hidden contents

ByzMwUFIcAEKair.pngp

This isn't it.

The new models are bigger? Sweet! By the way, I was wondering what could really be done about the scale of the vehicles. On one hand, vehicle-to-house scaling is fine, but player-to-vehicle scaling is off. The real problem comes with the fact that player-to-house scaling is fine too... I'm interested to see how the developers balanced that out when the animation update finally drops. 

Also, has anyone used the car that looks like a corvette yet? I have not even found one, unless you count the "destroyed" car models in pileups. I like that some cars are rarer than others, and I'm not arguing for their current rates to be changed, I just wanna see one in-game, because I haven't found one yet. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Mash's textures for the cars look excellent! I enjoyed Martin's cars up close as well, but at farther zoom levels is when the appeal started to drop for me.

Edited by BayCon

37 minutes ago, BayCon said:

I was going to say the no-staircase sheet rope strategy was risky, but I see you left your door unbarricaded. Actually.. It still is risky bro. Zombies can tear down sheet ropes now so do be careful. I usually make sure the rope is there before exiting, and I make sure there's a rope at every window, so in case some go out, I'll still have some to use.

Well I also made one window with a sheet rope inside the house instead of the stairs, but yeah I know there's a risk that Z's tear those down

34 minutes ago, steiger said:

This has been reported both in this thread (and I think in the IWBUMS 37.14 branch too!)

Essentially, the roofs don't work.  If you have a walkable floor above you, it blocks the rain, but roof tiles seem not to.

Oh okay so it's not just me, I hope this will be corrected, it's kinda annoying ^^'

1 hour ago, BayCon said:

Also, has anyone used the car that looks like a corvette yet? I have not even found one, unless you count the "destroyed" car models in pileups. I like that some cars are rarer than others, and I'm not arguing for their current rates to be changed, I just wanna see one in-game, because I haven't found one yet. 

I have used the corvette.  Interestingly, I didn't spin out as much as I expected to.  I think all the handling characteristics are identical at the moment (or based on vehicle weight)?  This can be differentiated in the future, I'm sure.

Hallo,

after the latest update i'm not able to forage anywhere.

My base is in mauldraugh here.

I had plenty of places where to forage before, now there is none.

Is anybody else experiencing this issue?