Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

This might be related to corrupted saves (since quitting the game = crashing the game), but yesterday I had checked my post office for a particular book, so I'd reviewed all the shelves/boxes already.  They were loaded with books, as you'd expect.

Went back into the post office to check for a different book, and found half the shelves full of hardware store stuff.  Saws, flashlights, nails, ropes, etc.

3 hours ago, BayCon said:

So, I'd like to ask you a question. Do you think it would be reasonable for cars to share the radius of attraction of chopping down trees? In case you never paid attention to it, it's nearly a full screen at the farthest zoom. This way we won't have to deal with zombies migrating from blocks away, but it can still be a decent radius of attraction. Or, do you think that's too small. I know you've proposed other solutions here, but I'm just wondering what would be a reasonable base radius for you, without taking other variables into account (RPM, engine type, condition, etc.)

Secondly, not to get onto a tangent, but for what BatCon is calling "Radius of Attraction", I thought I'd mention something I noticed while testing, I don't know if it's common to the main branch -- I was doing some work around my stronghold:

• Barricading a door drew some significant attention.  I was upstairs barricading for carpentry xp, and drew a crowd of Zs downstairs.
  • Disassembling a chair (though it played hammer/saw sounds for me) apparently doesn't.  I was within a medium zoom sight of some Zs, and disassembled an entire dining room without drawing their attention at all.  Does carpentry (create or disassemble) have a draw/noise radius?  I'd think it should.

EDIT: Lot of this must have already been said, but I listed here some of the most basic things you would experience in a zombie-apocalyptic world as car owner and an explonation how they would affect upon your vehicle.

23 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

There just . . .  doesn't seem to be any need of this, given the setting. It's a few days / weeks into the zombie apocalypse.  Why would these cars be broken down, requiring specialty parts, a loot hunt, and a skill to repair? Why would they be so rare?

If you leave an old battery hooked to a car without taking it for a spin for weeks, it will most likely get flat. Most people have have old batteries in their cars, they just run them so often it wont get empty. I mean it's only logical that there should be somekind of random factor for a battery being dead, or having so little power on it that it can't run the alternator.  If that happens when you are starting, you should hear the clicking sound of the alternators solenoid and not the crancking sound. To ease the troubleshooting, a character with enough electrical knowledge could say a line like "Seems like the battery is dead" to let less gearheaded players know what to do.

Most older cars leak oil from somewhere and you need to top it up every once in a while. Running the engine without sufficient amount of oil will break it up in long run, but also makes the engine sound a LOT worse and louder.

If you find a gas can from someones shed, it could have been sitting there for ages. Fuel could have gotten bad and lost some octane over the time. It could have been sucked out of a lawn-mowers rusty metallic tank last autum because there was too much condensated water in it. If you siphoon gas from someones nearly empty gas tank, you will eventually get some bottom gunk in there too. That gooey-rusty-condesation-gunk will clock up the fuel filters quite fast. If engine doesn't get enough fuel it will lead to all kinds of different problems. Mainly the engine not responding well to the gas pedal, it will run worse, once again making more sound and eventually stalling up on you.

Loose fan or alternator belt? Lot of very audible and loud hi-pitched screeching when starting the engine. Back in the 90s era of V-belts this was an everyday thang. Thanks to automatically tightened serpent belts we got in modern cars, not so much anymore. Very easy to fix on all older cars, all you gotta do is tighten the alternator/powersteering pump/whatever to a right position. Maybe the belt is too old and will snap? No water pump or radiator fan would lead to overheating quite fast.  You could replace broken belts with pantyhoses for short trips or until you can find a new car.
Old radiator hoses could blow up on hot days when you push the engine too long and you could apply duck-tape for it to stop the leaking for a while.

Running in to a zombie herd could break up your exhaust pipe, making your car lot louder or damage the radiator so it will start to leak coolant, but you could fix it by placing raw egg to the radiator as it is rumored to stop leakages, or by more know method of obtaining rare coolant leakage stopping fluid (which do excist, I just dont know the proper name for them). Without coolant fluid, the engine will overheat and end up as a steaming junk on the side of the road. Eventually it will start again so you can get back home, but headgasket will be most likely gone meaning a lot of revving, no power and a lot of heat.

So, here is my honest opinion on what would make the cars great with the rest of the gameplay:

OIder cars should be less rare, easier to hot-wire and break in to, while being more prone to mechanical wear and a lot larger random factor for having some sort of malfunctions, but they are built sturdier, so they take less crash damage. Especially vans.
New cars are more rare, reliable, better mpg and lower noise levels. They are much harder to hot-wire and hi-change of having an alarm system, so to get to them you need to start boosting with old junkers or be a lucky enough to find the keys, but if you crash it you have larger change of end up walking.

Metalworking could be used (with sufficient tools) to fix crash damage, welding exhaust pipes back together, fixing radiators, maybe adding some bodymods like window covers or spiked front-bumber so your engine compartment gets a bit better covered when crashing in to zombie herd.
All the regular maintenance jobs could be learned from vehicles service manuals that you could find at garages and gas stations. Chancing or charcing a battery should be a no-brainer for anyone with bith of electrical skills and a looted battery charger or booster cables, when you need to start a less beaten vehicle you just found in the ditch with dead battery in it. All the unorthodox stuff like raw eggs to the radiator or pantyhose belts would require for a special leaflet, something like "15 easy emergency roadside fixes with everyday household items" or just a VHS tape containing any episode of MacGyver.

Later updates could have more in-depth system, maybe even real spare parts if enough people enjoy the service aspect of their beloved zombie-smashers and want to keep them in perfect order instead of doing a duck-tape job.

Edited by allu

I'm sure some of these are already in the thread but here they are:

BUGS

-In certain situations going fast enough through a road that should be full of cars lets you go through before they appear. I actually turned around and went back just to be sure, the cars were there and I could not move like I did before.

-I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but right now there are car keys spawning on the ground near their car.

SUGGESTIONS

-Car Horn

-Police/ambulance Car Lights and Sound, I don't know if they have a specific name, turn them on and be the authority this place needs.

-Tire damage. From what I've seen car damage is planned but maybe you haven't considered tires yet. One of the common ways a car would need "repairs".

-maybe other types of specific damage as well, for example damaged/missing silencers make a very loud noise (could just be one of the effects of a damaged rear).

-Car lighters, they used to be very common, not sure why you would need them though.

-Working garage doors!!!! It always bugged me that large garage/warehouse doors are nothing but fancy walls in this game, this is the perfect time to change it, and make some cars actually spawn inside closed garages or areas with gates, an example being areas with wire fences (police cars parked in the police station).

I took the station wagon for a looong spin.
First it all worked very well, but after 5-10 minutes of cruising down the mainstrip, bashing in to pedestrians, the screen refresh got weirdly choppy.
And with every minute it got a bit more choppier.
Turning down any graphical setting didn't affect it at all. Maybe it was because I had high zombie population, and too many got interested in my car.
Soon it got so choppy, I had no other option than to leave the residential area and hit for the open road.
Eventually screen refresh got a bit better, but it was still noticeably choppy.  Getting back in to another residential area took a dive with my FPS again, didn't have no counter on, but im guessing it was around 15 FPS at worst.
So far my PC has been able to run this game with all settings maxed, even while hosting server with 8 friends on it.
CPU and GPU temperatures were at idle temps and system responsiveness was good.
Could 64-bit version cause any of it?

I also encountered few bugs.
Crashing the station wagon somehow reseted my cars fuel level back to full,  like 4 times.
Some of the objects didn't appear while I was driving, and I ended up crashing in to them. I had to back away only to make the small concrete road blocks visible due to draw order.

6146687B7E98E70136837FBA44ABF1A8EC020D86

18 hours ago, steiger said:

This might be related to corrupted saves (since quitting the game = crashing the game), but yesterday I had checked my post office for a particular book, so I'd reviewed all the shelves/boxes already.  They were loaded with books, as you'd expect.

Went back into the post office to check for a different book, and found half the shelves full of hardware store stuff.  Saws, flashlights, nails, ropes, etc.

Secondly, not to get onto a tangent, but for what BatCon is calling "Radius of Attraction", I thought I'd mention something I noticed while testing, I don't know if it's common to the main branch -- I was doing some work around my stronghold:

• Barricading a door drew some significant attention.  I was upstairs barricading for carpentry xp, and drew a crowd of Zs downstairs.
  • Disassembling a chair (though it played hammer/saw sounds for me) apparently doesn't.  I was within a medium zoom sight of some Zs, and disassembled an entire dining room without drawing their attention at all.  Does carpentry (create or disassemble) have a draw/noise radius?  I'd think it should.

I've felt for awhile that most carpentry and sledgehammer activities should attract zombies almost as much as cutting down trees does.

As for the "Radius of Attraction" thing, I say that because I have no idea what to call it. I created my own layman's terminology because I don't know what the developers would call it. It's easy to type, and people seem to know what I'm talking about without me having to explain it. I hope it sticks with others too, it would make it easier for everyone to share their thoughts on the Radius of Attraction of any action. :P

Hey there guys, amazing work on the feedback and the productive discussions so far. Before I start I sjould inform you that I have not yet tried the Vehicle Test Build but I follow your discussion daily trying to stay updated on this amazing new feature. Without any apparent coherence, let me share a few thoughts with you. Apologies in beforehand for a possibly long text.

1. On the noise of cars: One thing we should always keep in mind is that a modern city suffers from "noise pollution". Be it cars, electricity, talking, or any kind of sound you commonly find in urban areas, even the slightest sound can travel in a very far distance because of the air. The reason we don't hear them is mostly because we are used to it (a repeated sound will eventually be treated by your brain as non-existant as it is now considered part of the general environment and the brain mostly informs us of odd things and not common ones) As a result, I believe this constant "noise pollution" affects our hearing, making us less sensitive to something as a car engine sound (both because we are used to it and because it is "drowned" in the general urban noise). My point is, after the apocalypse, the city gets akwardly silent, people are now dead, electricity stops and cars are not driven all the time. As a result, a hyper-sensitivity of zombies to engine sounds could be justified in the context of them no longer being part of the general environment but rather an odd sound disturbance. On that note of course, the same hyper-sensitivity could be applied to all kinds of sounds in PZ, so a slight decrease in the attention the engines draw could be made, so it does not feel too out of place in comparison to other forms of sounds.

2. On the vast supply of gas affecting the balance: I don't really understand why an abundance of a certain supply can be a bad thing at the start of a PZ run (e.g. Initial Infection). Even with the settings of loot rarity on extremely rare, looting Cotman Medical can get me adequate medical supplies, looting a couple Grocery Stores can secure me enough food for weeks, looting a Hardware Store secures me all tools needed to do the needed barricading plus more. Realistically speaking, the first days of the apocalypse are always the easiest ones if you know what to do (excluding the chaos of day 1 probably), no matter where you go, you will always find some kind of loot. So I do not understand why an abundance of a (allow me to say) "relatively useless" supply such as gasoline (nobody needs generators, molotovs are not all that great plus are dangerous, and running a car requires having one that works) is a bad thing. We live in a consumer era, with tons of supplies in every house, and suddenly most of the population is dead, so all that is to be expected. Like you guys already said, the problem with supplies becoming rare as the game progresses, is other survivors beating you to the looting of a specific place. Personally, I think that inmplementing an engine that affects the Loot Rarity based on which day you are on would be a fun addition (even if only an optional one in sandbox) and it also does not seem all that hard to implement (unless every single location on the map desides its loot at the very beggining of each save, that would require a whole re-designing of the loot engine, whoops :P ) That could affect all possible supplies, including ratio of cars with emtied/filled tanks, and could dynamically change areas you have already visited before (better get those supplies or tomorrow they might not even be there). Also that could work relative to the amount of annotated maps and hidden stashes (loot is progressively gathered in survivor's houses) Best thing about this engine is it does not even need the Survivors to be implemented in the game, although it if happens in the future, making the Meta event frequency of Survivors attacking your base to steal the loot higher as the game progresses, would also be a fun and realistic touch. 

3. Cars and existing professions: Starting from where I left things on the paragraph 2, what makes you think that stealing gas from a car tank is an easy (and better yet, commonly known) task? As an Engineering student, I must admit I had a general idea over the principals of tank-to-tank liquid transfusion, but it was not until further investigation that I became familiar on how to actually make it work in cars. My point is, not everyone knows how to do it, so why should it be so easy to steal gasoline from tanks in the first place, at least without some knowledge over the matter? That plus the gas losing efficiancy as time goes by (losing octanes like somebody suggested) should be a good enough balancing (if needed). On that note, please make Engineers be able to get the gasoline initially, we engineers are not just bomb makers :P Now that we mentioned it, Burglars and Electricians hot-wiring cars, awesome idea! About excluding certain professions/players from the cars in PZ, I totally agree this should not happen. Like we can cook without a cooking background, barricade without being carpenters, fish without being fishermen and so on, cars should be accessible from all players in PZ regardless of profession. I will develop further on this matter below, but for now, giving the ability of gas transfusion to engineers, or the hot wiring to electricians, does not exclude any players from using cars (you can still find keys and get gas from gas stations), it only makes it easier for players of a certain background AND could make some very underrated professions very useful both in single and MP. How that will affect balance of the game can be adjusted by the profession's negative value during character building. Additionally, hobbies that provide the same knowledge, or magazines, could make this more fair.

4. Mechanic profession: I totally agree with the implementation of a Mechanic profession. Much like with the Metalworker, for non-profession players, the needed knowledge for basic repairs could be given to all players (with smaller chances of success, or higher ones of actually damaging the vehicle possibly), and some operations that would require a hardcore mechanical knowledge could be supplemented from magazines. For a fan of vehicles and the whole repairing process, I believe it is enough content to justify investing on the profession, while for others it could just be neglected (and focusing their attentions of finding a healthy car). Like I already said (and I believe you would agree) no profession or skill is "needed" to survive in PZ and it should not be in the future, but all could be interesting and fun for a player to use them (I play a Lumberjack because I like navigating through forests fast, but there is nothing wrong with taking the conventional roads)

5. Balance of cars: Taking the obvious out of the way first, cars are not "needed" to survive in PZ. We existed before them (and we shall do so after they are gone, lol :P ) In my opinion (and probably on yours too from what I read in the posts) the problem with the balance of cars (except running over zeds like it is nothing, which I believe will be fixed soon) if the fact that you can travel long diastances easier, loot faster and more (because of car storage) and that would make a survivor's life much easier, and lead to quick depleting of resources in mass MP servers. On that note I have already noticed a few great (and realistic) suggestions, like the battery of most cars would die if left without operation for about a week, which could render healthy cars more hard to find. Additionally, as I already mentioned in number 2, with an engine that reduces supplies in lootable areas would force the player to get down to some zombie killing action and hunt those annotated maps in order to find adequate loot. When they do, getting there in a couple hours or a couple of days should make no difference (at least after power/water is down and max zombie population is achieved all days are the same), plus nobody would find 20 annotated maps in one day and loot all of the spots. Additional balance of cars could be tied not only to mechanical failure, but the chances of malfunctions while on the road, eventually leading to being stuck in the middle of nowhere surrounded by Zs, being badly wounded, or even instant death after a terrible crush where your breakes did not work as intended (Am I the only one who supports the possibility of a car crush killing you instantly?) That could discourage players from taking the risk of a car or highlight the professions that can perform basic maintenance on them. Of course this is going too far into the future, but this is a WIP game in general, so I feel we should speak with the "end result" in mind and not just how we will play in IWBUMS for a few months. Finally, there is another thing about cars, the apocalypse and the first day of horror and panic. Everyone tries to leave using their car. This would create huge traffic jams on a few streets, making it virtually impossible to get passed them later on (assuming the owners abandoned their vehicles in the middle of the road). This alone limits a few areas of the map in which the car cannot reach, making them less "omnipotent". And yes, I know we have the traffic accidents to serve that role and I am a huge fan of them, but traffic jams serve a slightly different purpose. The cars could be "healthy", but most of them would be impossible to free from the jam and actually use. Of course, a workaround could exist for that, but it would require a lot of physical labor like pushing all nearby cars to the side so you can free your vehicle, maybe breaking a few car glasses to get in there and free the handbreak, or encounter some zombified drivers still on their cars. Found a car? The driver is inside and zombified? You kill him and get the keys? Okay, good luck freeing the car from the jam now. Oh you did? Then you earned the car, congrats.  I think this could further limit the number of "useful" cars in PZ without breaking the realistic barrier of "everybody having a car or two nowadays"

Apologies again for the long post, awaiting your thoughts.

Edited by AceFromSpace
Poor choice of words made part of my post offensive to some people instead of productive. Relevant part is striked through and better explained in a following post.

Really excited about the future balance of cars after reading the new Mondoid :D

"Overall we’re planning for car maintenance to work (and look) a lot like the current player health/medical system – everyone can use it in a basic sense, but those with specific skills and professions will be able to identify what’s wrong with an engine. We also plan to cross-pollinate some aspects of ‘vehicle work’ with relevant existing professions that are already in the game.

Zombie attraction levels to car noise, and the radius it’s heard within, is currently set really high in the Tech Test. This is partly because we wanted to push systems fairly hard, and partly because it’s better when balancing to drop things down in terms of difficulty rather than raise them up. As such Zed vehicle-love will be dropped as we go until we hit a sweet spot. This said, down the line, vehicle noise will depend on what’s being driven and engine condition – as well as how easy it is to start the car, backfiring etc."

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2017/05/cardevdoid/

Sounds like you all are taking the right approach and I can't wait to see everything come together :)

Ok so the vehicles. To start: im working with a laptop, specs following...

Graphics: Intel hd 3100

Processor:2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo

Mem: 4gb

Usually i could get upwards of 30 fps smooth, yea i know, hard to believe with this potato.

Now for one i start up the game and load in a new survival on easy. The first thing i notice is when i walk my frames hit 4-5fps and the map has a hard time loading. chock that up to my potato renderer. (i am on lowest settings on everything btw).

So i begin to get used to it and tell myself that its for testing purposes that i suffer through this (my PC's fault not the game i believe.). i search and search for 15 min in three parking lots and many driveways. Thats when i returned to the last parking lot and see something odd. An oval shadow in a parking spot.... I believe the cars are 3d yea? My onboard gpu doesn't support 3d. Now its a wonder the game even started in the first place. However, it did which is something of an enigma to me!

Anywho i got in the dang thing, Ha!, i dissapeared. I first tried pressing "N" on the keyboard a few times but it wouldnt budge, I couldn't pull up the menu with "V" either...

So i tried to screenshot and that was not working worth a darn. In any case, its a great idea, but i think for my sake and any others playing on a glorified chopping board, we should stray away from vehicles.

Better yet add BIKES!!!!

That doesnt need 3d nor should it be too hard to do!! Pokemon did it!!!!!!

I really do love the game and i hope it remains playable for the many others like me.

Thanks for creating an awesome game filled with fun, keep making it better and playable!!!!

:)

A Quick edit... While i said no to vehicles, i think its a good idea but maybe keep the option to play both online and offline without?

Edited by BMXTUCKER
Adding to my opinion on vehicles

6 hours ago, AceFromSpace said:

3. Cars and existing professions: Starting from where I left things on the paragraph 2, what makes you think that stealing gas from a car tank is an easy (and better yet, commonly known) task?

No offense, and I understand that being a student makes you think you know a lot because you just learned it, but what makes you think stealing gas from a car is hard?

As someone from the Midwest of the U.S., let me clue you in -- stealing gas is the pastime of many a redneck youth.  All you need is a length of tube, and not enough sense to mind possibly inhaling gasoline when you screw up(or an actual siphon that costs about $6).  It's a skill practiced on the regular by literally the stupidest members of our lowest economic classes here.  Moreover, it was in fact way easier in 1993 than it is today, simply because of anti-rollover valves in modern cars.

Ok so a friend and I tryed the cars this past week and we notices a few stuff that needs balance of course. But I'm sure those are known and balance will come once the tech test is done. 

Though we found some issues that might interest you in terms of "tech" test :

1. Large van storage : when my friend stored things in the back of a van I could'nt see them, and then I put some items and he could not see them. Then we leaved the area and once we came back, all the loot had disapeared.

2. Word issues : We experienced wierd issues with the world, some doors were closed for me and opened for him. Also, I destroyed a wall with a sledgehammer and then he came to that zone and did'nt saw the walls I destroyed (while I could go through them he could'nt).

3. Perfomance : I dedicated 8Go to the "Host" game, I have a 1070 & i5 3Ghz. And after one hour playing we dropped at 15 FPS (even lower for my friend but this can be because of my bandwith maybe) the frame drop was even more dramatic when we were in two different areas from ech others.

I hope i'm beeing clear enough to help with this experience review. Anyway we had a great time driving cars, thanks a lot that's really good work :)

PS : We didn't found that the noise thing was such a problem like most people felt it. Maybe because the ratio risk-reward using those is pretty postitive : we managed to clean maybe 95% of north/west murglauh in half an hour with two players using 4 cars and then everything was free to loot. But then again, this is a tech test so we understand balance will comme later 

Edited by Onkeen

@steiger No offence taken on my part, as reading through that quoted part of my post again made me realise that my poor choice of words made it sound completely different from what I originally intended (me being a bragging child instead of making a point/suggestion about a new feature of PZ). As a matter or fact, I hope I did not offend you or any other user of this forum, and I ask that you give me a chance to redeem myself by doing it right this time.

To begin with, it was my mistake to try and refer to the whole process of stealing gas as "easy/hard". What I meant to say is that it is not (at least where I come from) "common knowledge". Both in real life and PZ, there are a few things that are considered as common knowledge. Everyone knows (or at least can assume) that boiling vegetables in a pot of water will give you a soup without having any cooking skill, or that hitting a nail with a hammer on a plank allows you to barricade, even if you are not a carpenter. Those are things that can be easily figured out by anyone, and that is why PZ allows you to do them without any particular skill. My intended suggestion was that "stealing gas" should not be considered "common knowledge", as a responce to those who believe that having an abundance of gas through cars could be bad for the game. 

To be honest you are absolutely right that the process of "stealing gas" is an easy and rather simple one, but allow me to elaborate a bit on how not making it "common knowledge" has some realism into it. It could be because we come from different parts of the globe, but from where I am from, a vast majority of people do not know how to perform this process. Not because it is hard, but because they never needed to have this knowledge. I would assume that the people you refer to, were actually taught this process by somebody else, or simply searched the internet for a tutorial, but only because they needed to actually use this knowledge (or in our case, simply being fans of the whole apocalyptic background). That is what made me believe that the average survivor in Knox County would not necessarily know how to do it and it could justify limiting this knowledge to specific professions/traits.

Now, lets say we do not consider this process a "common knowledge" (at least in PZ). I think you would agree that realism demands this process to be achievable by two categories of people: 1) Those who knew the process already, because they were taught by either another person or the internet (the people you refered to) and 2) Those who had a knowledge of the basic principals behind the process, which would allow them to figure the process out. What I originally meant to say (which made me sound like bragging) is that (almost) being an engineer, I feel pretty confident I could figure the process out if needed, without any previous knowledge of it, which led me to my suggestion of the Engineer profession being one of those falling under the second category. To propose a different example, the ablity to "hot-wire" a car in PZ could be achievable by two professions: 1. The Burglar, because they would have the knowledge of the process, as it is a part of their "job" and 2. The Electrician, as they would have enough theoretical background to figure the process out of needed.

Additionally, if you specifically look at the Engineer profession in PZ, it seems that the developers also share the same ideas. Being an Engineer in PZ allows you to make bombs and ways to detonate them. This is not because engineers in real life already know how to make bombs (although if such a class existed in universities it would be... interesting to say the least), but rather because their background of knowledge in physics and chemistry allows them to figure the process out. To return to my suggestion about "stealing gas", what I meant to say was that I believe the process should be made available to the Engineer profession (which falls in the category of background knowledge), and to anyone who read the appropriate magazine (which covers the category of directly learning the process, in lack an appropriate profession/trait/hobby in the character creation, as the Burglar does not feel right for this one).

To sum up my thoughts, I never intended to say that "stealing gas" was a process for the people intelligent enough, all I meant to say was that if for any reason PZ would be hurt by the abundance of gasoline in all those abandoned cars, the devs could limit the process of "stealing gas" to a single profession and a corresponding magazine and the game still feel realistic. 

I hope I did better this time, again sorry for any offence I caused. Keep up the good work!

Edited by AceFromSpace

28 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

So how do I refuel a car? Because either I can't figure it out on my own or it's the same level of buggy as the car trunks:

http://i.cubeupload.com/Ycvu5C.png

I get a "Take Gas" when holding a gas can and right clicking the car like you're doing.  It'll fill the gas can completely.  But I've never had to fill a car, as it is currently auto-refilling, in my experience.  You have a number of anomalies in your game, friend.  I guess we cross our fingers and it'll get worked out before making it to a IWBUMS release?

Based on last weeks mondoid, using -disableeasyvehicles will disable the "test cheats", therefore should also the autorefuel. If there is no way to refuel the cars yet in this case, it's kinda pointless to have.

3 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

Based on last weeks mondoid, using -disableeasyvehicles will disable the "test cheats", therefore should also the autorefuel. If there is no way to refuel the cars yet in this case, it's kinda pointless to have.

Sadly -disableeasyvehicles still doesn't work for me, and Tatty reported the same earlier in this thread:

Followed the instructions correctly but on start up the terminal window flashes "unknown option -disableeasyvehicles" and all the cars are still on easy mode when I start a game :(

Are not many people suffering from a bug where the vehicles just suddenly run out of fuel? From full to empty just like that.

TBH sometimes it feels like my real car does that. Maybe it should be a realistic feature instead of a bug!  :ph34r:

Edited by HumanTarget

1 hour ago, HumanTarget said:

Are not many people suffering from a bug where the vehicles just suddenly run out of fuel? From full to empty just like that.

TBH sometimes it feels like my real car does that. Maybe it should be a realistic feature instead of a bug!  :ph34r:

I thought that was happening when I started testing -- what is actually happening is that your car is stalling out.  The little engine icon at the bottom of your screen will turn black instead of green.  And when the car isn't running, the fuel gauge reads "E".  That confused me at first.  You just have to hit "n" to re-crank the engine on.

Edited by steiger
specificity

Vehicle Update Suggestion :

Besides usual vehicles,you can make Electric cars.

Pluses would be : 

+ Working on battery ( Gas is no needed to run a car. Battery can be charged by generator )

+ Electric motors have a longer service life, they are more durable than internal combustion engines.

+ Electric motors produce much less noise than petrol and diesel.

+ The electric motor makes it possible to carry out braking in an emergency situation many times faster than on an ordinary car.

Minuses would be :

- The average mileage, without additional charging, at the electric car is 300 km.

This makes it impossible to travel for significant distances.

- To fully charge the battery electric vehicle will need 8 - 10 hours.

- Most models of electric cars are small in size and accommodate only two passengers.

- Because of its price is much more expensive than conventional cars.
(Less chance of spawning )

12 minutes ago, Drama_Setter said:

Vehicle Update Suggestion :

Besides usual vehicles,you can make Electric cars.

Pluses would be : 

+ Working on battery ( Gas is no needed to run a car. Battery can be charged by generator )

+ Electric motors have a longer service life, they are more durable than internal combustion engines.

+ Electric motors produce much less noise than petrol and diesel.

+ The electric motor makes it possible to carry out braking in an emergency situation many times faster than on an ordinary car.

Minuses would be :

- The average mileage, without additional charging, at the electric car is 300 km.

This makes it impossible to travel for significant distances.

- To fully charge the battery electric vehicle will need 8 - 10 hours.

- Most models of electric cars are small in size and accommodate only two passengers.

- Because of its price is much more expensive than conventional cars.
(Less chance of spawning )

The game take place in 1993. Elon Musk was 22 back then :-S

10 hours ago, steiger said:

I thought that was happening when I started testing -- what is actually happening is that your car is stalling out.  The little engine icon at the bottom of your screen will turn black instead of green.  And when the car isn't running, the fuel gauge reads "E".  That confused me at first.  You just have to hit "n" to re-crank the engine on.

Ah! Thank you. 

In that case then I'm only have the light switch issue. And a few TV's don't have a power source just across the bridge SE of West Point. The power hasn't gone down yet. I don't know if it's a bug exclusive to this build or if this issue is always with the houses on this road. I've never been in them before. 

Found an appetite for the game again now there's some game changing content. 

The introduction of counting calories didn't really grip me again. 

The cars feel a lot better than the vehicle mod. Good mod but this is great

Yup, thanks to the vehicles - even in their current state - all these abandoned, lonely houses in whatevercorner of the map suddenly become a lot more attractive. It actually makes sense to seek shelter in them and use a car to get closer to the city to hunt for items.

Though my current game seems to be highly borked. I started a "first week, normal"-game for test and I have yet to find a single pan or baking tray or anything else similar to that. Instead all I find is stuff like nails, paper clips, batteries, all sorts of food, ammo, ... and from that A LOT. Like, everywhere. Even the clothing shops have this stuff, which feels highly wrong to me. No matter where I go, not a single pan or cooking equipment in sight. Also - as others already mentioned before - light switches don't work, the TVs I've found so far (about center map / wilderness at these trailer parks) don't work, none of the cars have trunks and so on.