Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

38 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

Nope, I'm still not seeing it. Tried a bunch of cars already, walked around them a few times, went inside, etc. but no container is visible.

You don't have to open anything -- just walk up to the car.  In this case, it appears to use the "shelf" container.screenshot_12-05-2017_16-38-06.thumb.png.5387a499fbd9c473dd333c2f11824221.png

Found a new bug today

20170512233703_1.thumb.jpg.e5900ddaa5cbaa30b16ec89280f7e818.jpg

As you can see I can't start the car, (even by pressing n). It happened to me with a cupple of cars.
I managed to find one not bugged, got to a warehouse to get a sledge, but when I got back into the car, the same thing happened

Also the game crashed again when I quit. And I wasnt in a car.

Edited by The White Wolf

26 minutes ago, steiger said:

You don't have to open anything -- just walk up to the car.  In this case, it appears to use the "shelf" container.

Like I said, nothing:

C99oKS.png

Also deleted the game, downloaded everything again, validated cache.. no change.

About the crash issue: I have about 16gb of Ram, so... :>

@The White Wolf: You sure you're sitting on the driver side of that car?

Edited by Lexx2k

26 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

Like I said, nothing:

@The White Wolf: You sure you're sitting on the driver side of that car?

The trunk missing is bizarre.  When you walk around the car, a tile beneath the car will light up green -- I see them on the driver side, passenger side, and the engine compartment (front of the car).  Do you see those light up?

Lexx makes a good point -- the cars are setup with driver-side on the left, it might not be obvious to everyone everywhere.

37 minutes ago, The White Wolf said:

Found a new bug today

20170512233703_1.thumb.jpg.e5900ddaa5cbaa30b16ec89280f7e818.jpg

As you can see I can't start the car, (even by pressing n). It happened to me with a cupple of cars.
I managed to find one not bugged, got to a warehouse to get a sledge, but when I got back into the car, the same thing happened

Also the game crashed again when I quit. And I wasnt in a car.

Like Lexx said, you are in the passenger seat. The 12 o'clock button is the "Swap seats" button, it'll get you in the driver seat and then you can start the car.

The steering wheel is on the left side of the vehicles, since the game is set in the United States. There's no British vehicles.

Quick feedback, not much time for a lengthy post (technical issues are shared already by some above) -

The cars currently attract way too much zed. I get that they aren't electronic and definitely make noise, unless you are sitting there revving the engine cars should not attract zed for miles as they currently appear to. I get the idea for making them lean, mean zombie-attracting machines but the current level of sound they apparently create is far too much. 

What I would suggest is making the amount of sound made also tied to the RPM of the engine (and still more quiet).

Edited by Kim Jong Un

6 minutes ago, GHawkins said:

Like Lexx said, you are in the passenger seat. The 12 o'clock button is the "Swap seats" button, it'll get you in the driver seat and then you can start the car.

The steering wheel is on the left side of the vehicles, since the game is set in the United States. There's no British vehicles.

Yeah sorry, I realised that when I red Lexx 's posts, it hasnt even crossed my mind, maybe that's the habbit of Gta and shit when the characters goes automaticly to the driver's seat ^^

But I found something else, I've tried to load an old save where I had a home made base

I was on the first floor of a tower I've made when I last quit the game. But when the game started the floor and all the constructions I've made were not here anymore, my character fell and I got a broken leg, I don't really know if it has something to do with cars though.

Hallo,

the game crashes when i quit, and windows reports that ProjectZomboid64.exe ceased to work.

This happens either if i play in compatibility mode or normal. Attaching log file.

Moreover i'd like to report that with the vehicle beta, the roofs don't stop rain. Effectively it rains inside the houses unless you have another floor above you

My hardware is:

cpu: intel core i5 3.30 ghz
ram: 16 gb
graphical card: geforce gtx 960

console.txt

4th test. Framerate is better, but could still be improved. Light switches are now working. 

I wanted to barricade the Muldraugh police station and also find a squad car (I like to RP as a police officer). Upon finding a squad car (miles away in a roadblock of wrecked vehicles) I tried to drive it back to the station. Two hundred zombies swarmed the place, smashed every window, broke down every door, and tore me to shreds within the span of a minute.

Cars. Are. Too. Loud. 

After playing around with cars for quite a bit the past few days I've really started to get the hang of them. They really aren't as loud as I thought they were initially. Sure, they attract every zombie on the block, but they should do that. I think people just forget how many zombies are actually on a block in Project Zomboid (as I did in this case).

I've found more than a few great ways to use cars to herd zombies though, whether it be leading them away from your safehouse entrance so you can drive in safely later or pulling them all out of an area I want to loot and looping back around to pillage the now abandoned neighborhood.

All in all, after getting the hang of it and seeing how far it actually pulls zombies from, I personally think it's really not that bad and that it's completely manageable once you get the hang of it. Really changes the game in a lot of fun ways if you ask me :)

Light Switches can't make up their mind if they want to work or not, same goes with doors sometimes.  Cars are a little too attention-getting, but they aren't so bad once you get the hang of things.  Runs pretty well for awhile and then starts to slow down after driving a lot.  Always crashes on exit, no matter what I was doing in-game.  Absolutely love it though, vehicles is what we needed for awhile now and I love them so far! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the loot table is out of whack big time (or it was for me anyway).  The hardware store in West Point was all books and the grocery next door to it was all hardware lol.  Everything seemed okay in Muldraugh where I spawned but drove out to West Point only to find that out.

**SYSTEM**

Intel i7 920 2.6 GHz

8 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti

Windows 10 Home

Edited by ContactMushroom

I thought light switches were fixed, but today, they appeared broken again.  I wonder if it has to do with saved games.  Mind you, all of my saved games on this branch are possibly corrupted, since the app crashes out on exit every time.

A fair bit of the new mappage was in the test build.

If it helps, I have found a few oddities (such as a roof continuing inside of an office) but I know that the area is unfinished so I'll focus on the cars instead.

--

Recent vehicle: Red pickup with the camper shell.

Good news is that for the most part it looks like how a car would drive.

However I must also agree that the spinouts are far too frequent especially in a vehicle that is supposed to be AWD. When you are going fast, and try to turn, the game's physics decide to spin you out. It would make sense except for the fact that with 4x4's this would be understeer and not oversteer. This is also counting the poor turning radius. Just minor realism inconsistencies but the spinouts are a cool detail and I applaud whoever did that.

It also looks like the spinouts occur at too low speed (the pickup does not go particularly fast). I can control them but every time I attempt to take light turns at top speed I'm immediately spun towards the wrong direction. While not the worst thing in the world, the exact same spinout occurs so much that it is impossible to gauge what the safe speed should be (the "top speed" is quite low as-is which is understandable because map load times).

FPS issues weren't  significantly experienced this time but there were definitely a few cases of studder on the long highway drives.

Still under the impression that the zed's immediate reaction to a slow cruise down a road to be too sensitive and precise. The noise the engine makes should be tied to the RPM, which would probably be a better adjustment for the gameplay (discourages top speed driving in high activity areas and gives more benefit to slow drives).

Edited by Kim Jong Un

9 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

discourages top speed driving in high activity areas and gives more benefit to slow drives

Personally, I feel like there's a huge benefit to slow drivers and zombies attraction to the engine noise as it is currently. It really let's you pull a pretty large horde that you would lose at higher speeds or lower sound levels :)

Also, I feel like there will most likely be more benefit to driving slow simply because hitting a zombie at slow speeds and rolling over them slowly won't damage your car like hitting one full speed on the highway hopefully will. Not to mention, the noise doesn't matter as much when you're driving through quickly at high speeds, simply because you're gone by the time most zeds get to the road. It's only on a return trip that you might run into a larger amount of zombies that will slow you down more.

17 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Personally, I feel like there's a huge benefit to slow drivers and zombies attraction to the engine noise as it is currently. It really let's you pull a pretty large horde that you would lose at higher speeds or lower sound levels :)

Also, I feel like there will most likely be more benefit to driving slow simply because hitting a zombie at slow speeds and rolling over them slowly won't damage your car like hitting one full speed on the highway hopefully will. Not to mention, the noise doesn't matter as much when you're driving through quickly at high speeds, simply because you're gone by the time most zeds get to the road. It's only on a return trip that you might run into a larger amount of zombies that will slow you down more.

I didn't mean to imply those benefits did not exist. I was stating that it would fit both gameplay and realism if the amount of noise emitted was tied to the RPM of the engine - the idle of a slow crawl VS the roar of putting it to the floor.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

7 hours ago, steiger said:

The trunk missing is bizarre.  When you walk around the car, a tile beneath the car will light up green -- I see them on the driver side, passenger side, and the engine compartment (front of the car).  Do you see those light up?

Yup, that's all there, except for the trunk. The only other thing that made me wonder is-- when you open up the engine compartment, will it be animated in the future? Would be super fancy.

i tried vehicles a bit in my co op server, and well

after a while we had some sync issues, but anything that wasn't expected in an early build, so that's fun.

let's start from the biggest part:
cars make too much noise.

i'm not talking about making them 1% of what they do now, but i feel like we could do without at least 40% of the zeds that are showing up each time i start an engine. i mean, i know that it's fine living outside the town and going in for a rush, but you're not thinking about when vehicles will be in completely: what about when you won't be able to make sharp maneuvers because you'll be afraid of damage the player inside the car? what when the engine will randomly die? what when you won't have gasoline? what about looking for the keys for that one car in your neighborhood for days before being able to start it? i think there is plenty to balance the difficulty of vehicles without going crazy.

please don't make this like gas pumps not powered all over again.

that said, vehicles handles amazingly well, but i'd really consider changing the engine noise, it's quite bad at the moment

5 hours ago, Zorak said:

That's just not necessary. It's not.

Perhaps, like some said, you can attach the attraction to the RPM. On top of that, you could make the noise much lower, but make zombie attraction vary based on how fast you're going using motion attraction. Basically, zombies which are looking at you are more likely to detect you. I still maintain that cars in real life aren't that loud, and that's because their sound profile is mostly low-frequency hums and growls at everyday speeds. I hear one outside as of writing this, but all I can hear is just the bass of the engine (which I estimate to be ~20 - 40 hz) because I'm indoors. No way you're ("You" being, a dead hunk of meat with motor skills and basic navigational intelligence) hearing that 3 - 5 blocks down and through several buildings in a way which can allow you to pinpoint its location (much less determine it's something worth investigating among the other ambient sounds outdoors) like the super zombies are right now. Unless all of the zombies have the ears of mastering engineers, it just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I just heard another car. My dad was pulling into our garage and I didn't even hear his car. Just the garage opening and closing.

Honestly, if they don't decrease the noise. I don't really lose anything. I would love to use these things and maintain one, but I've done well for a long time without them, and I can continue to do so if the risk outweighs the reward too dramatically (risk over reward sums up Zomboid pretty well, but it's never been this unforgiving).

Edited by BayCon

1 hour ago, BayCon said:

That's just not necessary. It's not.

Perhaps, like some said, you can attach the attraction to the RPM. On top of that, you could make the noise much lower, but make zombie attraction vary based on how fast you're going using motion attraction. Basically, zombies which are looking at you are more likely to detect you. I still maintain that cars in real life aren't that loud, and that's because their sound profile is mostly low-frequency hums and growls at everyday speeds. I hear one outside as of writing this, but all I can hear is just the bass of the engine (which I estimate to be ~20 - 40 hz) because I'm indoors. No way you're ("You" being, a dead hunk of meat with motor skills and basic navigational intelligence) hearing that 3 - 5 blocks down and through several buildings in a way which can allow you to pinpoint its location (much less determine it's something worth investigating among the other ambient sounds outdoors) like the super zombies are right now. Unless all of the zombies have the ears of mastering engineers, it just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I just heard another car. My dad was pulling into our garage and I didn't even hear his car. Just the garage opening and closing.

Honestly, if they don't decrease the noise. I don't really lose anything. I would love to use these things and maintain one, but I've done well for a long time without them, and I can continue to do so if the risk outweighs the reward too dramatically (risk over reward sums up Zomboid pretty well, but it's never been this unforgiving).

As long as I have an option to severely reduce each type of vehicle, then I'm fine, but goddamn I can't imagine living in the U.S if that's how loud cars are. I barely hear any noise unless it's an idle diesel jeep. Or truck/tractor.