Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

One clarification on the Loot Tables bug...

This doesn't happen when you first start the game. This only happens on subsequent loads. When I start a new game, the loot is all the same as I would expect it. This only happens after I quit to main menu and crash.

Bugs I Have Documented As of 5/10/17

NOTE: Some of these I can't easily describe without screenshots, so I'll create my personal bug report thread to avoid spamming this one with screenshots.

All screenshots from me will be posted here. Since it's not officially a "bug reporting thread" on its own, and it's more of an image dump, I'll just put it in General Discussions.

I am playing survival with no mods.

Bugs:

1. Layering and lighting errors not related to vehicles. (SEE: Screenshots 1 - 5)

2. Nearly all wall tiles with windows are shaded differently than the rest of the building (SEE: Screenshot 6 - 7)      

3. Doors inside of a home were found locked. (SEE: Screenshot 8)

4. Zombies and other interior details visible through walls of a barricaded house

5. Containers which have dynamic sprites based on how many items are in them are sometimes displaying as empty despite having items in them. (SEE: Screenshot 9)

6. Car did a barrel roll (flipped twice before landing on its wheels) while crowd surfing.

7. While trying to escape a massive horde surrounding my car, it rolled about 720 degrees to the side, flipped up into the air, and went flying about 6 tiles away into some trees, all at about 2 - 5 frames per second. Side note, I'm having the time of my life with these physics bugs. ^.^

8. When trying to exit car (now stuck sideways in some trees), I got stuck in a tree and could not move in any direction, but the walking animation still played. The zombies were unable to hit me.

"Bugs" That I'm Not So Sure Are Bugs:

1. Found a hunting knife in the Rosewood Buffet's kitchen, but everything else there was pretty much empty. (SEE: Screenshot 10)

2. Exterior doors seem to be unlocked more often than I've ever seen.

3. Finding much less food than usual in homes, fridges, and even places specifically for food.

By the way, I spammed the crap out of the recent messages box when I uploaded all of those screenshots, but there was no other way for me to get around the 4 mb file limit and keep the photos on this site, so... Sorry about that.

Edited by BayCon

My specs (I play on a laptop):

Processor - AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Video Card - AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics

RAM - 6.0 GB

I know these aren't the best specs, but I've always managed to play PZ with few problems. I spent about an hour in the tech build and here are my notes:

1) HUGE frame drop, both when driving vehicles and when not driving at all. I don't know if this is because my specs are too low, or if it's just the vehicles. I've never had such a massive loss of frames when playing PZ before the vehicle test branch, even with mods (like Hydrocraft, ORGM, etc.)

2) The cars attract WAY too many zombies. I mean, I get it, zombies would be attracted to the noise, but not only is it absurd that a single car's engine can attract hundreds of zombies at once, it's also impractical. Who is gonna wanna drive cars anywhere if they always have a massive horde following in their wake? I drove a single car back to my campsite across the river from West Point and the zombies overran me in minutes. Real cars aren't that loud; hell, even cars in 1993 wouldn't be that loud. 

3) This might be related to the frame drop I mentioned in #1, but the cars feel very slow, especially when turning. I feel like I'm maneuvering a tank, not driving a sedan.  A speed gauge would be nice, so I can tell if the car's just not going that fast, if its a design flaw, or if its just my computer. Also...

4) The cars slide, fishtail, and spin out of control too much. It's like they're driving on ice and their tires are coated in butter. For such bulky, hard-to-maneuver vehicles, I'm surprised they slide and lose control so much. This is especially apparent when turning, as it is very easy to completely spin out when making a simple turn, even at low speed.

5) The car's engines kept cutting out at random times without warning. I'm not sure if this is related to vehicle damage or if its just a bug. The cars would start up fine after I pressed the "start car" button again, but still, the engine cutting out was quite annoying.

6) When I quit the game to return to the menu, it crashed. First time PZ has crashed on me in a LONG time.

All in all, I'm still optimistic. Hopefully these bugs will be ironed out before a public release.  

-Light Switches no longer work

-Always crashes on exiting game

-Doors that are partially obscured, like the north facing door in between the Hardware Store and Food mart in West Point cannot be opened by a mouse click, but pressing E works

-FPS seems to be the same (staying at 45FPS cap set in options) but periodic 1-3 second freezes aren't uncommon

-Loot spawning seems off, but I haven't played enough to narrow it down

-Cars aren't useful for actual gameplay, attract too much attention and get stuck on zombies pretty easily and if you get stopped by a horde, there is no escape

-Cars physics sometimes wig out crazily when getting groups and tumble into the air and do 360s, even had a big delivery truck manage to roll 180 degrees on to its roof from an almost stop while hitting a horde

-Car turning radius is too large

-Playing as a Veteran, desensitized didn't seem to function. Was commonly panicking from nearby zombies, even getting up to extreme panic

Windows 10 x64
OS on SSD, Games on another SSD.
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.4GHz (Liquid Cooled)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 USB 3.1
G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900)

Edited by BoogieMan

Can confirm that house lights don't work and that the game always crashes on exit.

Also, car bottoms and wheels clip through walls (uploading screenshot)

Still can't find my error logs, what should i do?

20170510202854_1.jpg

Edited by Crowborn

23 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Released a new build with WIP vehicle sounds and improvements to the FPS drop while driving (should be vastly improved though perhaps not 100%)

How long will public testing for vehicles be happening? Until it's no longer needed, or until official release?

8 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Can people report back any differences in performance since the update was made overnight?

If you had issues before then we'd like to know if things have improved, and if so by how much :)

My tests. almost no change, FPS volatility remains high.

Return from the game to the main menu has a high chance of crashing, And I can't find any crash logs file.

I've been getting worse performance, micro stutters when walking/running, and when I pick up speed it crashed. I'll keep trying and tweaking.

Never gave my specs:

Intel Core i7 6700

nVidia GTX 1070

16GB Ram 

Windows 10 64-bit

DX12 if that makes any difference.

I'll check if I had mods on by accident too and do another test.

Performance before this patch was gradually dropping FPS.

UPDATE: Performance seems to be the same as last time, still about 20FPS and it doesn't fix itself once the car has been driven, e.g when I'm walking it's still the same FPS when I'm not going as fast as the car was. Disabled my mods and the micro-stuttering is a bit less but still is a lot more than without cars in the game. Normally (without cars)it might be one stutter when a massive horde appears out of nowhere. 

Edited by MadDan2013

I have old dinosaur with 4gb ram, intel i5 2core, 1gb video memory

On survival I have a serious lags, sometimes laptop just shutdown due overheating, my guess that it was caused by hordes, because without huge hordes it run smoothly with average 20-25 fps, all models 3d

On first week difficult a take a trip (after some looting for bags, tools, food that was loaded into trunk of a sedan) from Rosewood to McCoy in Mauldraugh.

After that I head to West Point ant find a house in quiet place and start fortifications.

This game lasts for about 45 minutes, fps was 20-30, sometimes game stuttering for 2-5 second. Building and barricading works as usual without bags, loot distribution was normal but I didn't find any watches for 1,5 hours. Update increase my fps just I little bit but it became more stable, sounds are awesome.

Cars feels great, but turning angle is a little bit low, cars wrecks are very rare on the road and they are very loud.

Hope it help:)

20170511154319_1.thumb.jpg.c04126a4fb3b3a29aa0bb3a051babbcc.jpg

I don't know what this car was supposed to be or how it happened, I couldn't get it to work when I snapped the screenshot though. Possibly due to fraps maybe? 

My FPS there was alright, which was weird.

20170511155744_1.thumb.jpg.8c6e0d0aa453cf1ccb4c27dc97ef84d8.jpg

Pressing "Stop engine" throws up tons of errors. Start engine works though.

Round 2, post-update:

1) FPS seems to have improved slightly. There were a few stutters near the beginning but definitely an improvement. Ironically I didn't drive as much during this test as I did before, but the FPS during driving seemed to also have improved, if only a little.

2) Cars still feel too tank-like and turn too wide.

3) Game still crashes upon exit.

4) I've been finding "Car Key" items randomly on the ground. Not quite sure what their purpose is.

5) Total error count: 18

Unfortunately I didn't spend enough time in this session actually testing the vehicles. I might go back in later and just drive around. Or I might wait for another update. 

13 minutes ago, Brex said:

4) I've been finding "Car Key" items randomly on the ground. Not quite sure what their purpose is.

What you play now is "easy vehicles". Cars will usually require keys to be opened/operated and won't have a full tank all the time. You can check this by launching the game with the -disableeasyvehicles command mentioned in the OP.
You right click PZ in your Steam library, Properties, Set launch options, enter "-disableeasyvehicles" without quotes.

2 hours ago, nasKo said:

You right click PZ in your Steam library, Properties, Set launch options, enter "-disableeasyvehicles" without quotes.

I wasn't sure if I was doing it right before but this doesn't seem to be working for me :( Cars still refill themselves and are all unlocked and ready to go. Also, I've noticed the cmd window says something like "unknown option -disableeasyvehicles" on start up. Am I missing a step in the game menus to turn it on or something?

4 hours ago, nasKo said:

What you play now is "easy vehicles". Cars will usually require keys to be opened/operated and won't have a full tank all the time. You can check this by launching the game with the -disableeasyvehicles command mentioned in the OP.

1 hour ago, Kuren said:

I wasn't sure if I was doing it right before but this doesn't seem to be working for me :( Cars still refill themselves and are all unlocked and ready to go. Also, I've noticed the cmd window says something like "unknown option -disableeasyvehicles" on start up. Am I missing a step in the game menus to turn it on or something?

I too can't get this to work. :(

Ok so round 2:

FPS: a bit better (tested on sandbox low zombie count)

Streaming : still buggy, when you ride at high speed you dont see most trees and zeds. So you can hit invisible tree. Also when you slow down or stop those missing trees and zeds get loaded.

Crash when you want to exit the game.

i5-6400 2,7Ghz

8GB RAM

GTX 750 TI

Load tables fixed!  Nice.  Cars make a nice way to mitigate helicopter events -- they're like constant gun shot draws.

Think I saw it reported before, but at least some roofs won't keep out the rain.

Crash on exit.  I grabbed the terminal while the game was crashing, but I don't think there's much in the way of useful info:

term3.png.afac4a83e1e0a9724ee0ff44ac6538a8.png