Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

Ok, I got drove around a while, got into a building (without stairs, so safe, but there are Zs downstairs, maybe a lot), and slept.  Since waking, UI is sluggish.  Sometimes the right-click menu doesn't work -- I'll right click on a door and say 'Open', and nothing happens.  I'll stop moving, but my animation still shows me walking.  Right-click and 'walk to' or 'rest' will generally fix the animation.

I'm in a building, so not near a car, and my term shows the following:

term2.png.97e26c660bec276f5ec4dfda9b85ee93.png

I noticed you can also read skill books while you're driving.  While reading, you can't eat or move inventory around, or do any vehicle behavior (ignition, headlights, radio) and driving doesn't stop you from reading, so the only way to stop reading while driving is to "attack".  Also, if I hit "U" while driving, I'll get my vehicle info, but if I'm traveling at speed, I can't move that window around or close it.  If I slow down, or come to a halt, I can move that window around and close it.

Another thing I just noticed, not sure if it's new to this build or not.

When in a house, I disassembled all the doors on the top floor of house, now when it rains, I get wet.

I don't get wet on the bottom floor though

EDIT - never mind, I get wet on the top floor of other buildings as well.

Edited by hozzdutch

Are there currently no brakes for vehicles? I noticed that they will continue to roll forward or backward, and that the only way to stop this is by shutting off the engine. I understand its a WIP, but brakes + park option will be needed eventually so you don't have to shut off the engine.

Also, exiting a vehicle will shut off the engine. I think you should have to manually shut off the engine.

They look great so far though, and the handling on them is pretty smooth.

Edit: Was happy to see you can drive the car through the fossil car wash, unfortunately doesn't seem like you can pump gas directly into the cars yet. Do gas cans allow you to add fuel currently?

Edited by Moose65

1 minute ago, Moose65 said:

Are there currently no brakes for vehicles? I noticed that they will continue to roll forward or backward, and that the only way to stop this is by shutting off the engine. I understand its a WIP, but brakes + park option will be needed eventually so you don't have to shut off the engine.

Also, exiting a vehicle will shut off the engine. I think you should have to manually shut off the engine.

They look great so far though, and the handling on them is pretty smooth.

Spacebar to break.

Loaded up a new game in West Point. It ran fine for about 4 or 5 minutes, then started freezing for 1-2 seconds at a time every 20-40 seconds. FPS stayed high and smooth otherwise. The time between freezes got smaller each time it did, and within 2 or 3 mintues later the game froze entire for about 15 seconds then exited to desktop. Never interacted with a car, though I did see one briefly. In 37.13 I never encountered any performance issues, even minor.

Will try a new game.

Oh, and I am unable to toggle lightswitches.. Anyone else?

Windows 10 x64
OS on SSD, Games on another SSD.
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.4GHz (Liquid Cooled)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 USB 3.1
G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900)

Edited by BoogieMan

I was just going to mention that not a lot of people are testing other things out other than just driving around in vehicles. Like what about testing out other game mechanics and see if the vehicles broke them. I've seen a person say they can't turn on house lights anymore.

Edited by Capt.Motty

5 hours ago, Capt.Motty said:

I was just going to mention that not a lot of people are testing other things out other than just driving around in vehicles. Like what about testing out other game mechanics and see if the vehicles broke them. I've seen a person say they can't turn on house lights anymore.

I've done that. Vehicles seem to have broken a lot of things, but hey, when you're surgically "implanting" a new feature into your game and you have to tamper with the game's most foundational mechanics (organs), there are bound to be some open wounds that need healing. 

Anyway, bad analogies aside, I have a list of bugs I've found and have them in screenshots as well. I'll be posting them all here sometime tomorrow.

20 hours ago, Tatty said:

-snip-

1. I can't use light switches in houses anymore.

2. Running zombies over doesn't count as a kill in your "Zombies Killed" counter.

3. Have to drag the car information window slightly before I can close it by pressing the X.

4. Being able to sleep in the car at any time, including whilst driving.

5. Gas tank is labeled as "Battery" in the information panel.

6. The world load table or whatever you want to call it is off. Barg-n-Clothes sells a lot of nails, tissues and flashlights for example.

7. You can speed up time whilst driving, which causes all the Z's around you to move as if you're in a benny hill chase scene.

8. If you allow the car to essentially go onto cruise control by not pressing any buttons then after a while the engine will stop. Not sure if bug or feature.

EDIT: 9. Not sure if a bug or not but many exterior and interior doors are locked. More so than usual.

-snip-

I've had issues with 1, 6, and 9 also. Most of my containers seem to only want to spawn books or closet items. On the bright side, my personal library is complete. Refrigerators, dressers, wardrobes, and crates are still spawning the correct loot. I've also been unable to remove glass from some broken windows.

I can't turn on the car while asleep but I can activate other options, like the A/C, on the menu while sleeping.

The cars are really easy to control and I really like the radial menu. As a suggestion, I think it would be cool if there was resistance (for at least some cars) when driving on non-roads, such as a speed reduction. A bit like Simcity 4 when you drive on grass. The game also doesn't appear to have any penalty when driving drunk (swerving etc.).

Edited by dnk3912

2 hours ago, BayCon said:

Vehicles seem to have broken a lot of things, but hey, when you're surgically "implanting" a new feature into your game and you have to tamper with the game's most foundational mechanics (organs), there are bound to be some open wounds that need healing. 

Anyway, bad analogies aside, I have a list of bugs I've found and have them in screenshots as well. I'll be posting them all here sometime tomorrow.

It should be noted that the release notes and Mondoid related to this build stated that things wouldn't be perfect outside of car stuff (or even within it).

This is a tech build based solely on cars. So that means that there are plenty of things that aren't up to date when it comes to the base game. The car parts are the parts that will be added to the existing code so I think things will be fine once the car tech issues are worked out :)

Edited by Kuren

3 hours ago, Kuren said:

It should be noted that the release notes and Mondoid related to this build stated that things wouldn't be perfect outside of car stuff (or even within it).

This is a tech build based solely on cars. So that means that there are plenty of things that aren't up to date when it comes to the base game. The car parts are the parts that will be added to the existing code so I think things will be fine once the car tech issues are worked out :)

Are you sure that programming new content for this game is so modular that they automatically fix all bugs outside of the cars simply by fixing the code for them? I'm no expert, but I don't think it works like that. From following many indie devs and reading patch notes, I was always under the impression that adding something new to your game almost always broke some existing code.

Edited by BayCon

Bug I've Encountered:

1. When I go to quit to main screen, the game crashes every time. So far this hasn't corrupted my save game, but it is a bit disconcerting.
  2. Loot tables in various buildings seem to be off (Books in the convenience store, Random tools in the medical supply store, Kitchen Counters have random tools instead of food, etc)
  3. Second story buildings seem to - in some cases - stop having a functional roof (get wet when it rains)

Suggestions:

1. Less spin-out; even if I brake before turning I cannot do it without spinning out.
  2. Lower turn radius - the cars don't fit the roads.
  3. Make the vehicle's inventory accessible from inside (perhaps only in some models of car - like Van)

Edited by Houski

1 hour ago, BayCon said:

Are you sure that programming new content for this game is so modular that they automatically fix all bugs outside of the cars simply by fixing the code for them? I'm no expert, but I don't think it works like that. From following many indie devs and reading patch notes, I was always under the impression that adding something new to your game almost always broke some existing code.

I'm just going off of what TIS said in the Mondoid and the many times they have talked about features being worked on in different build branches that will be merged into the main. Not all the features are constantly being added to each build branch and the relevant parts are then merged into the main build/base game when ready. My guess is that that's when they'll need those bug reports related to other features outside of cars.

Here's a few snippets from this last Mondoid ( https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2017/05/vehicles-tech-test/ )in reference to that and what they want us all to report.

"It’s a Work in Progress version (and still needs a bunch of gameplay and features attached to it)"

"WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW

So no, I'm not "sure" about how the programming works for PZs engine/base. But I am sure that TIS stated what kind of stuff they wanted people to report and issues unrelated to cars weren't one of the things listed.

When reading a lot of these reports/feedback it becomes quickly clear that most people either didn't read the whole Mondoid or simply skimmed it before posting about things already stated there.

7 minutes ago, Kuren said:

*snip*

I read the Mondoid, and what they asked for, as well as the whole thread. This is what Lemmy said in response to the bug where you become panicked when you see every zombie: "This is to test the vehicles, which as had massive amounts of work in a separate branch for a significant amount of time, there may be bugs introduced that may include getting panicked by zombies improperly, this is why we made a test tech build so people can spot such things."

22 minutes ago, BayCon said:

I read the Mondoid, and what they asked for, as well as the whole thread. This is what Lemmy said in response to the bug where you become panicked when you see every zombie: "This is to test the vehicles, which as had massive amounts of work in a separate branch for a significant amount of time, there may be bugs introduced that may include getting panicked by zombies improperly, this is why we made a test tech build so people can spot such things."

Fair enough, but that comment was made in reference to a report of panic when driving. Meaning still car related.

I'm sure reporting any bug will help but I also know what TIS said they will be working on in the coming weeks with this build and what kind of reports they need/want for that work. Just trying to keep people on track. The reason for this tech test build is just that, a tech test of vehicles, since they currently cause various performance issues, including dropped frame-rate, crashing and other things listed.

Also, I never said "you" didn't read the Mondoid. Not sure why you keep instigating.

Edited by Kuren

42 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Fair enough, but that comment was made in reference to a report of panic when driving. Meaning still car related.

I'm sure reporting any bug will help but I also know what TIS said they will be working on in the coming weeks with this build and what kind of reports they need/want for that work. Just trying to keep people on track. The reason for this tech test build is just that, a tech test of vehicles, since they currently cause various performance issues, including dropped frame-rate, crashing and other things listed.

Also, I never said "you" didn't read the Mondoid. Not sure why you keep instigating.

I promise I'm not trying to instigate, I was wondering if my words could be taken that way. Sorry if I'm giving off that vibe. :)

I'm aware I can seem kind of aloof online, and I'll work on that. As for the panic bug, I experienced it both in and out of vehicles. I don't know if they would want me to report bugs not related to vehicles, but I'll continue to do it just in case. 

7 minutes ago, justcrow said:

not public yet?

Nope, not for the official branch yet, but it is a public testing build. There are some bugs to squash and details to add (injuries, engine sounds, balancing, etc.), and they just released this build to the public so they can find problems and receive feedback from a wider group of testers than internal testing could provide. 

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Hey everyone, talked it over with Lemmy: Please report any issues with normal gameplay, as well as any issues with vehicles.

Merging the builds might have reintroduced some bugs that'll need to be quashed.

Thanks to you and Lenny for the official statement. With that, I'll be dropping my list of bugs with some screenshots momentarily...

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Hey everyone, talked it over with Lemmy: Please report any issues with normal gameplay, as well as any issues with vehicles.

Merging the builds might have reintroduced some bugs that'll need to be quashed.

Thanks for clarifying :D On the Steam forums it seemed like you all just wanted reports related to performance first and foremost :)

4 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Thanks for clarifying :D On the Steam forums it seemed like you all just wanted reports related to performance first and foremost :)

Well, to be honest, that's because I'm on a low-end PC and Zomboid is one of the few games I play at 60 fps, and I'm afraid of being cut out of that party by the vehicles.