Released: Vehicle Tech Test build

Batsphinx

Specs - I use a normal laptop

Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU @2.2ghz with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (integrated)

RAM: 12 GB

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System, x64-based processor.

Playing Resolution: 1600 x 900

Performance

Without vehicles (for comparison), I usually get a solid 60 fps with normal zombie activity and population. Even with large hordes, I can maintain 30 fps at medium zoom levels. At the farthest zoom possible with no action, I get 20 - 40 fps with stuttering.

With vehicles, I get a fluctuating 5 - 17 fps just upon spawning in. When I get in and use one at West Point and it starts to attract zombies, it goes as low as 2 fps. When I change the resolution to 1280 x 720, I still have a low fps until I leave the city. Then it rises to about 20 - 30 fps.

Bugs (so far... will be updated) - Can someone tell me how to copy the text from the console?

- Crash upon trying to return to main menu.

- Buildings drawing over cars, like someone else showed.

My Thoughts

- The vehicles play way better than I expected. They feel very real and weighted, and their presence in the world is felt, even without the shadow underneath.

- They look great too. The pileups are cool and from what I've seen there seems to be a pretty nice system in place for generating them.

- Car population isn't as common as what it would be in real life (just about everyone has a car), obviously, but it's just the right balance between realism and being reasonable for gameplay/performance purposes.

- They handle amazingly well, and I did not expect nearly this good a physics system for the vehicles of an isometric game. Even after seeing videos, I was skeptical, but they play very, very well.

- Martin's metallic textures for the vehicles look very good, actually. I still don't like the gradient on the windows, but only the paint jobs that are way too saturated in color are the ones that look out of place to me. I think a nice blend of metallic textures from Martin and toned-down textures from Mash would look nice, as long as all cars use Mash's window texture.

- They attract zombies too much, I would say. They move from surprisingly far distances like they just heard a sound from the meta of the game for migrations, and almost as if it was a gunshot. Cars can be heard a few streets over, sure, but in real life they're not so loud that they should attract zombies like a gunshot would.

- A lot of work can be done for performance optimization. I can run Carmageddon: Max Damage on minimum at 30 fps, and that's a racing game with full body car destruction, gore, and gibbing. 

Edited by BayCon

Okay, so after a very short and brief testing of the cars, here's the feedback

• As other have reported, the durability of your car (front in my case), can currently fall back way onto the negative side, but it's probably known and being worked on :). Not sure what exactly it's planned by ruining your car to the extreme, but it would feel natural for your character to get damaged in extreme crashes, and maybe even set the car on fire? It's all up to developer imagination I assume :P. It would be nice to have some visual feedback when the car is heavily damaged, but that's of a low priority, as well.
  • Upon my quite long route of driving (from Muldraugh to West Point's end of map), my fuel managed to refill magically. Sadly I don't know when exactly does it happens, but I was fiddling with everything in the meantime - getting out, turning lights, heater and radio on/off, tuning the radio, smashing my car and zombies and clicking and observing the car info state. It may be related to battery energy, as I have a feeling the battery sometimes wasn't draining as planned (not a car owner, but shouldn't battery drain when engine is not running and refill when it's not? I didn't appear any correlation honestly). Also, upon exiting the car, it seems that the battery stops being drained.
  • I like how zombies slow you down, but I experienced no speed changes when driving at different terrains. Is that feature planned eventually? It would be a neat addition. In the end I ended up traveling on the train tracks and closed the game at the point where trees suddenly appeared on the tracks :D. Anyway, driving on the railroad tracks didn't differ on riding on an asphalt street much.
  • I really like the car info panel! Having engine, lights, heater, doors, windows and other usable information is really neat. I don't understand the meaning of them all, I suspect in the future it will be possible to remove car parts and have a cart with some parts missing? The current labels are a little confusing, with "Set" being quite ambiguous term. I suspect it get some major overhauling later on, as it seems WIP, but I'm pointing it in advance :). Also, the car names are currently placeholder, I hope you came up with something creative down the line, like Furd cars :). Also, it might make sense to move the door HP to the  main interface, so you could see it all the time, without clicking the doors to see their HP, similar how front and back damage counter is displayed.
  • Speaking of attacking doors, it seems weird the zombie are intelligent enough to come over your car just to attack the doors you are in. It is marginally harder if they are only attacking the doors, but it would feel more natural if they simply attacked the closest doors they are at instead. I would be totally fine with lower doors HP and zombie attacking whatever they are closest to, else I imagine we will never see damaged passenger doors until NPC are implemented in the single player :D
  • I also noticed that currently the cars have no storage capacity. I hope it's planned somewhere down the road though :) It would really feel the shame, if you couldn't use the storage found on your cars. (See EDIT4!) Moving a step further, it would be cool to have search cars for the loot that might be left inside the car, the glove compartment and/or the actual car trunk, the first accessible after opening the car or breaking the window (if that option will be implemented, as I believe only zombies can break the windows now :P) and the latter only with opening/picking/destroying the actual lock on the trunk. Also cars with alarms are a natural to have here. But again, that's going into the future :). In the meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting a storage in my cars :P
  • Speaking of the missing features, I am surprised there isn't a palceholder for honking a car horn to attract zombies. It would be nice to have tires at some point that would puncture when driving on rough terrain that would need replacing, but again, that's a far fetched feature.
  • When it comes to the actual interaction, I like how you can access the info about the car by simply right clicking on it.  Would it be possible to add ability to enter the car from right menu and also to bring a radial menu by right clicking? It's kinda similar to my previous suggestion of unifying how picking world object looks like, where moving more items to a right click (even if optionally), might simplify the basic game usage. 
  • When it comes  to general performance, I experienced FPS dropping to about 17 down the road, though I have unsolved performance issues that might persist from a previous build. Not sure if it's my OS side, or the game, but I will wait for the actual optimization to come before focusing on them. Also, I tend to experience red errors on various occasions that are persisting since the previous build. Simply launching the game through Steam gives me 1 red error, that is most likely caused by me having disabled console output for Steam, opening crafting menu still give me errors and I had plethora of errors upon crashing into the black void at the end of the map (like, 50,000+). None are actually crashing the game though, although they might cause some slowdowns. I also experienced a lot of popping trees, but I suspect it will be polished out too.

TL;DR

• BUGS:
    • Widely reported no damage effect
    • Regenerating fuel and battery
    • Zombies are totally ignoring doors you are not sitting close to
  • FUTURE FEATURES REQUESTS:
    • Improvements to car info panel (showing door hp without clicking, having proper car names, rephrasing some phrases, e.g. "Set")
    • Storage space + random loot found in cars (someone suggested it before)
    • Car horn!
    • Ability to enter the car with right click and bring the radial menu with right click (as an alternative to existing controls)
    • Terrain affecting car handling (or wear)

EDIT: I forgot to mention one bug - the car are currently visible in pitch black areas you can't see now, i.e. you can see the cars through walls.

EDIT2: I'm attaching a console.txt file that generated while I was playing the game. It's raw size is a whooping 18.2 MB, but since the most line are NullPointerExceptions, it compressed to only a little over 20KB. I'm attaching it in hopes it will help fixing some of the issues I mentioned :)

console.txt.7z

EDIT3: I forgot to mention,  that my game probably also crashed when trying to get back to menu, as what previous poster had. I finally focefully closed the game instead of waiting, but the game might just be frozen at that point. Didn't assigned it with vehicles at first, but seeing someone else reported that it might as well be.

EDIT4: Actually it was rightfully pointed to me you guys already though about the storage space inside the car! There's both the glove compartment AND a passenger seat there as well as the actual trunk you can only access while outside the car - again, as expected :). Now, the only things missing are space on the back seats, unless my car is planned to be a two-seater :)

Edited by Faalagorn

I'm serious when I say this, while crowd surfing, I just had my car...

I thought it was gonna flip over but it did another 360 and eventually landed on its wheels lol.

Also, I found a car in white and I gotta say I'm really enjoying Martin's texture on the white car (aside from the gradient on the windows of course).

Screenshot (300).png

Edited by BayCon

As opposed to the "magical refilling fuel", I found quite the opposite -- my fuel gauge reads almost full the entire time I drive it, then suddenly drops to "E" without warning, usually when I'm trying to make a 3-point turn, i.e. I bring the call to a halt, try to back up, and the car won't move, the gauge is suddenly "E".

The load tables are kind of messed up on this branch, i.e. hardware store is loading books, etc., but I figure that's part of the "non-polished" bits of the branch?

18 hours ago, steiger said:

As opposed to the "magical refilling fuel", I found quite the opposite -- my fuel gauge reads almost full the entire time I drive it, then suddenly drops to "E" without warning, usually when I'm trying to make a 3-point turn, i.e. I bring the call to a halt, try to back up, and the car won't move, the gauge is suddenly "E".

The load tables are kind of messed up on this branch, i.e. hardware store is loading books, etc., but I figure that's part of the "non-polished" bits of the branch?

To all the people who are saying this, it's probably intentional. The developers left all cars unlocked and full of gas for testing purposes. I don't know if they made them refill on purpose, but for testing it would make sense to me.

Edited by BayCon

1 hour ago, BaldGuyPlaysGames said:

20170508205200_1.jpg

Havent played it yet, but i have 2 questions.

Are the textures of the wrecked vehicles placeholders or every texture of every wrecked vehicle is going to be a white military camo type?

Also is there going to be a way to push aside those cars apart from crashing into them?

I need to download this to see how it goes.

48 minutes ago, BayCon said:

To all the people who are saying this, it's probably intentional. The developers left all cars unlocked and full of gas for testing purposes. I don't know if they made them refill on purpose, but it would make sense to me for testing.

It makes sense to me for the gas to stay full all the time, but for me it appears it's just the gauge that's static -- the fuel consumption happens, it just doesn't report it to the screen.  Most of the cars I've driven don't seem to have much fuel at all -- enough to go a dozen blocks or so.  Maybe they can turn off fuel consumption for performance testing?

EDIT:  I just noticed that the fuel gauge also drops to "E" when the car is turned off.  I just confirmed that the problem I'm reporting here with the fuel gauge dropping to "E" is in fact the car stalling out.  Hit the ignition again, and all is right with the world.  Bravo.

Edited by steiger

1 minute ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Hide contents

Havent played it yet, but i have 2 questions.

Are the textures of the wrecked vehicles placeholders or every texture of every wrecked vehicle is going to be a white military camo type?

Also is there going to be a way to push aside those cars apart from crashing into them?

I need to download this to see how it goes.

I'd like to see a faded version of the car's original color with a "destroyed" texture over it so not every wrecked car is white. I personally like the current nature of roadblocks and how they're even kinda hard to move with a car. 

steiger-screenshot_08-05-2017_13-52-45.png.f35c963f0f883dd85d97a9763b1f8b05.png

Also, I don't know if this means anything -- it looks like some Zs were having tracking problems or mistook the solid wall for having apertures.  Those Zs are trying to bash in the construction wall with their heads.  Not having much luck, but still . . .

Edited by steiger

Rear of some cars seems to be ethereal.

Also, my game crashed when i clicked "quit" on the pause menu. Using Windows 7, 64-bits, i know this is useless without an error log but i couldn't find it for some reason.

20170508185847_1.jpg

P.S: Could we get a car horn? Not just for aestethic and MP fun, but also for attracting zombies. LIke an overpowered shout key.

The functionality to slowly push cars that are with an empty tank would be really nice, but i understand this could be very time-lenghty to implement.

Edited by Crowborn

4 minutes ago, Crowborn said:

Rear of some cars seems to be ethereal.

Also, my game crashed when i clicked "quit" on the pause menu. Using Windows 7, 64-bits, i know this is useless without an error log but i couldn't find it for some reason.

20170508185847_1.jpg

For some reason, this man seemingly wearing a truck as a hat made me laugh like crazy inside.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 870M, 16 gig RAM, Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-4710-HQ CPU @ 2.50 GHz

Here's what I found (most likely already stated and known by devs):

Tall grass will appear through the car.

Trees spawn can't seem to keep up with pace of car (after going fast then stopping)

Zeds spawn erratically around car when stopped (massive amount) (settings were on High) (after going fast then stopping)

Vehicles spawn after car is stopped for a short period (after going fast then stopping)

can see vehicles without LOS

Zeds coming in crazy attracted to car noise, seems like a helicopter event, you would think they would here these noises enough to not be SO attracted to them. ( i know its a very difficult thing to balance)

after about 6-7 min FPS dropped drastically,  manually shut off game before 10 minute mark. (I was covering a large distance)

vehicle menu where you see the battery and engine and all of that would not respond to being "X'd" out.

** BELOW IS NOT BUG REPORT PLEASE BYPASS IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN PERSONAL THOUGHTS ( MY APOLOGIES IF THIS IS INAPPROPRIATE) **

Things I'd like to see changed (other than bug fixes):

Vehicles are too big for zed and player models, a typical police vehicle or 4 door car shouldn't be taller than the average man/woman.

UI for vehicles is very clunky - simple hop in and start should be separated from all other interactions (switching seats, checking radio, etc)

I'd love to be able to see through the windshield to have a basic confirmation of what seat I'm in.

Keep up the great work guys.

Edited by ATS_J

Upon further inspection and more tests with the vehicles I got some more observation

• First of all, I am really happy that you thought about including the storage - the trunk, the space in the actual vehicle AND the glove compartment, so all what I've been thinking of, thanks! The only thing missing now is adding more than two seats, doors and storage space for 4-steat vehicles :). A mechanic disallowing to take seats that are taken by loot would be something neat (you can't sit on a sit that have 4 microwaves put into), but might be something that's too far-fetched. I see the names and icons are a placeholder yet, but I assume it's a known issue and will be changed down the road :)
  • Secondly, the damage done to a vehicle seemed to reset for me, but that's probably a known issue, so probably something that's already being considered
  • Thirdly, upon continuing a game I got plethora of red errors when trying to access the radio from radial menu (it was left on by me and works as intended, but the actual interface to change station or turn radio off is not available), or to turn the engine from the information menu. I think it might be related to the error I had before happening randomly when interacting with items. I thought I had it reported, but I'm not sure anyway. Either way, here's the console log, that will probably help troubleshoot it: https://pastebin.com/Fz7W9uda
  • It may be somewhat related to the fact that my car effectively refills it's fuel: on the information panel, I can see the name "battery" appearing instead of a gas can. Either it's a simple text error, or it's somewhat related to my bugged car/save file. 
    Spoiler

okTDTwj.png

• It seems that informational vehicle panel can not be closed some times when inside the car, preventing the use of other menus. I tried closing it with clicking the X or choosing from radial menu, but only exiting and entering the vehicle helped. 
  • It would also be nice if you had an option to turn the light, heater and radio on/off from the car info panel, similar to turning the engine on/off in addition to the radial menu.
  • Another interesting aspect that could be assigned to the car damage would be inability to use a car trunk when the back car durability falls to 0, with the items being dropped on ground. In a future case on a locked trunks with loot, I imagine it should be possible to forcefully "open" the trunk by ramming it with a car as a side effect too. I know you would risk damaging the items IRL, but I think that would be too complicated for the game, and I'm fine with someone desperate enough to ram a car with his strong vehicle just to damage the target car's trunk being an odd side case possibility, that could actually be roleplayed, chasing a car and ramming it long enough for the target to drop a bag full of guns from it's trunk.
  • Similarily, I imagine damaging the front side of the car would rended the engine useless, assuming all the cars have engines in the front and trunks in the back (though I imagine modders wanting to swap the places for unusual car types in the mods :P)
  • Also, while maybe not directly related to vehicles branch, I submitted a bug report about driving on the railroads with the trees popping on it. While I suspect driving on a railroad might not be a wise idea anyway, I'd rather have it offset by a proper game mechanics (worse handling on uneven terrain, maybe some damage) rather than trees blocking it blatantly :). Otherwise, it's a relatively zombie-free route that connects two cities, I liked to use a little (although on foot) in a previous builds.

EDIT:

• Also forgot to mention, but the issue with closing the game is still there, albeit I found out the game closes itself after some time for me. I can't get back to menu nevertheless.
  • I also forgot to mention in my previous test report, that currently all the lamp posts, signs and similar tall items are completely ignored when ramming with a car. IMHO they should behave like trees, making your call fully crash on them instead to make it simple yet a bit more realistic. No driving through a sign posts like you do in racing games :P

EDIT2:

• Also, when loading a save in which you are inside the car, your car just falls down from a small height. It looks kinda odd.
  • I also updated my bug report for the errors I get when opening the crafting menu and attached a log. Hopefully it'll bring more light to the issue. If this is something on my side, I would like to know what's causing it as well, since the error persist through the whole build 37 for me, causing no apparent issues apart from being annoying and potentially slowing the game down, so it would be nice to get rid of them
Edited by Faalagorn

Specs -

I7 6700k @ 4Ghz
16Gb Memory
ATI Radeon R9 295x2
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Performance
Standard play (running around like normal) is great as always.
The first time I jumped into a car, i was driving for around a minute (if that). Then within a couple of seconds, the game slowed down the stopped responding altogether.

Bugs found -

- When my character dies, if I quit the game, it crashes to the desktop. This doesn't happen with Exit to desktop
If I quit the game whilst still alive, the crash doesn't happen (I can't find the crash log, if anyone can tell me where it is, I'll attach it to this post).

- Once the engine of a vehicle has been started, any open windows (vehicle info, player health etc) can't be closed. Until you get out of the vehicle.
Once this problem has happened once, any other vehicle you then get in experiences the same problem until you get out whether or not it has been started.

- The collision detection between vehicles is a little screwy when one vehicle is upside down.
See this image for details

- When zoomed right out, although I didn't see any trees popping in, I did notice Zombies would pop in.
- Other vehicles would also pop in when the entire vehicle could be seen on screen, it doesn't seem to like displaying just part of it when some is off screen.

Edited by hozzdutch

Stats
- Processor: Inter Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz x 4
- Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400

- RAM: 4 GB

Performance report

In my play, before even seeing cars, the game was handling as usual, but with some little stutters that intensify when in contact with zombies.
When I first got into a car the performance was the same, but it got worse in some 2-3 minutes after, with the game slowing down, what intensified as the zombies were accumulating.

Bugs

• Vehicle info menu related:
  1.  [Reforcing (already said)] At vehicle info, in the gas tank menu, the title is "Battery", instead of "Gas Tank" or something like that.
  2. On the radio menu, no control options for the radio show up.
  3. The car should only consume fuel on acceleration IMO, it currently consumes all the time. Suggestion: Maybe make a simple cambio system, on which the car consumes less fuel at higher cambios, realistically, and maybe make some cars with automatic cambio, adding depth to the system.
  • Physics related:
  1. Even if a four window vehicle (the Pick Up Truck in this test) already has crashed on something and made the glass breaking sound four times, it still makes again and again, indefinately, apparently. I think this should be limited by the number of windows the vehicle has.
  2. In a hard turn the car (Pick Up Truck in the test) makes the sound of window breaking.
  3. When the car is over a zombie, the car seems to "jump" a little bit (very little), like the zombie has some sort of super strenght, and with a "punch" sound, even thought the zombie is under the car, stuck. Suggestion: Maybe this "jumping" could be let in the game, but with a lower multiplier, making that only lots of zombies make the car "jump" this way.
  4. Vehicles take a lot of time to stop after the gas pedal ("w" key) is released
  • Miscellaneous:
  1. When sleeping inside a moving car, the car doesn't stop. Or that's what seems like, because there's no sound for cars moving, but there's sound of Z's dying.
  2. The tank refuels after coming back to the game after exiting it completely. (I'm aware it should be intentional, for testing purposes, but anyway, it's here).
  3. IMO, the headlight's cone of light's angle is very small.
  4. There's some little red boxes appear on the side of a vehicle touching a wall (see image below).
    Spoiler

bug1.thumb.png.89890bb7ffdd81217dde7cc93518a647.png

• Game crash?

When I die and press the "Exit Game" instead of the "Quit to Desktop", the game quits to desktop, the same happens when clicking the "Quit" on the pause menu. I think that's a crash then, but no error pops up and there's nothing with "crash" in the name on the ~/Zomboid directory. (Please tell me where the crash logs stay and what does the title looks like).

Edited by ThunderDH

(sry for my bad english)
Hello. I would like to thank the developers of the game for their great work. I would like to bring my test results.
Characteristic pc:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5300  @ 2.60GHz
4GB RAM
~ 30 FPS in the last stable build

~ 5-10 FPS in a test assembly with machines
In cities, the game is played with slides, 1 time even flew.
Outside the city at medium / high speed, the map does not have time to load. It's all at the MAXIMUM approximation.

Kx5lWNoLvvw.jpg

Edited by raskurenniy

35 minutes in - FPS drop to 10, sudden freeze lasting less than a second, back to 30FPS
36 minutes in - Crashed - Reason: Shift + Tab to open steam community, Alt + Tab so I could open notepad to write the above note

Funnily enough no real performance change between 1 minute in, 10 minutes in and 30 minutes in. (slowly dipped from 30fps to 24 fps, then stuck to roughly 27fps)

Overall Notes:
The station wagon I drove seemed to spin out a little bit too easily.
Fuel UI didn't update until I was running on empty.

Rig:
OS - Windows 10 Pro
Processor - AMD 8350 Eight Core
RAM - 20GB
GPU - AMD R9 290

The cars feel like GTA 2 but with better physics.  Keep up the good work, lads.

I'm about to start a multiplayer game so that side can be tested, I'll use MSI for better accuracy then.

So here is my experience. When I spawned in the fps was normal, but unsurprisingly driving a vehicle has significantly dropped my fps to about 2 - 5 FPS. But this could be caused by the fact that I also played on Six Months After Apocalypse scenario and extreme amount of zombies in conjunction with the car was causing massive fps drops. Also, playing on six months after apocalypse, apparently a lot of zombies can push your car through buildings, as seen on the screenshot, so take a note of that too.

20170509110212_1.jpg

In conclusion, very happy with what you are working on. Looking forward to future updates. Thank you for this game.

P.S: I'm in love with the physics! The way huge horde just pushes your car over just makes it all the more terrifying!!20170509110134_1.thumb.jpg.ac767180c429e52edb4f729b27237c85.jpg

20170509105817_1.jpg

Edit: Something (Possibly lag) is preventing icons in the car menu to show up.

20170509111517_1.thumb.jpg.a0e1823a8e3b07c2638be8b4141eba58.jpg

Edited by Officialadsffm

Great job on the build.

PC:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

16gb ram

Windows 10

Usually run at full 60fps. Driving at a top speed on the highway on "First Week" level of Z's, I average about 45 FPS. As soon as I approach a town where there are lots of Z's being attracted by the noise the FPS dips down to the 30's - I have seen it dip down to around 17 at the lowest.

I'll try and be concise about some of the issues I've found, some of which have already been pointed out by others. I realise that this is running on a different branch of your engine or w/e so some of the bugs below are not necessarily car related but I thought I should still point them out.

1. I can't use light switches in houses anymore.

2. Running zombies over doesn't count as a kill in your "Zombies Killed" counter.

3. Have to drag the car information window slightly before I can close it by pressing the X.

4. Being able to sleep in the car at any time, including whilst driving.

5. Gas tank is labeled as "Battery" in the information panel.

6. The world load table or whatever you want to call it is off. Barg-n-Clothes sells a lot of nails, tissues and flashlights for example.

7. You can speed up time whilst driving, which causes all the Z's around you to move as if you're in a benny hill chase scene.

8. If you allow the car to essentially go onto cruise control by not pressing any buttons then after a while the engine will stop. Not sure if bug or feature.

EDIT: 9. Not sure if a bug or not but many exterior and interior doors are locked. More so than usual.

Still, bugs aside, the vehicles hand extremely well. Almost unbelievably so. They definitely exceed my expectations. My only niggle is how wide the turning circle is even at super slow speeds. Trying to follow a road at a 90º angle is near impossible. Otherwise 10/10.

EDIT: I've been playing with the turning circle a little and I've come to the conclusion I was just driving a little too quickly around the corners.

I'll update this post with any more issues I come across.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Tatty