Just Purchased - Won't Start

Keeder

Question

Just bought PZ through steam yesterday.  I have not been able to get it to run.  I have looked at many threads and tried many of the suggestions with no luck.

• Drivers are up to date
  • Java is up to date
  • Reinstalled PZ
  • Turned off Overlay
  • Tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of the bat files. 
  • Tired compatibility mode
  • Tried several other things I can't think of at the moment. 

Console

I also get long hs_err_pidXXXX.log (XXXX = PID#) dumps every time I try to run it.  They are in the PZ folder under steam.   Excerpt below (file is too long to post and probably not helpful anyway):

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000005da9729a, pid=7868, tid=0x0000000000000d14
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_121-b13) (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ig75icd64.dll+0x16729a]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

Help would be appreciated.  Would love to play PZ!

-k

2 answers to this question

You need to update your graphics drivers, directly from Intel. It looks like you might just have the generic Windows version provided by Windows Update.

Do not use the automated tools. Search for it in the search bar, otherwise Intel's tool might just flag is 'already up to date." They're weird like that.

That did it.  Thanks!

I had updated my video drivers using the Dell tools but evidently that was not enough.  I had to go to the Dell website and manually install the latest video driver and then the game would launch.  Had to tweak some video settings (windowed, resolution, etc.) to get it running but seems good now.

Thanks again!

-k

Archived