May Dayoid

nasKo

36 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I think it's enough to just roll a die and communicate the result to the player. Quick click and done. No separate UI or controls.

If the character has a key, the door or vehicle just unlocks. It just starts. If not, perhaps if the character has sufficient skill in lock picking or other methods bypass (tools), they just do it.

Not interested in minigame systems for this. Particularly when you can just break a window or the door itself to bypass it.

Perhaps an optional feature comparable to the way Zomboid handles reloading of firearms.  I used to always have it on easy, until I discovered that I found manually loading magazines much more fun.

2 hours ago, GHawkins said:

Perhaps an optional feature comparable to the way Zomboid handles reloading of firearms.  I used to always have it on easy, until I discovered that I found manually loading magazines much more fun.

Implementing a QuickTime event / minigame for turning a key sounds a bit much for an optional feature, no?

Reloading just lets you rack a weapon with a single key press, as well as eject and load a magazine. It's not really that complicated.

I've been highly opposed to having any mini-game style events in Zomboid for a long time, and the devs have avoided it for a long time. I don't think it's necessary, nor does it add anything to the game but a bit of tedium. There's a lot of things you can add to games, but that doesn't always mean you should. In some games, minigames can be beneficial- either adding to immersion in the case of some high fidelity games, or evading boredom in games where they just exist to mix things up. Zomboid doesn't have the pacing to mix things up with a minigame (you're not going to pause the game, and having a whole minigame interface come up would cause issues), nor does it have the appropriate graphic or mechanical fidelity to increase immersion.

I see a lot of suggestions like this that, in a void, aren't bad suggestions- after all, plenty of games do it- but just that aren't good for PZ imho.

13 hours ago, Rathlord said:

I've been highly opposed to having any mini-game style events in Zomboid for a long time, and the devs have avoided it for a long time. I don't think it's necessary, nor does it add anything to the game but a bit of tedium. There's a lot of things you can add to games, but that doesn't always mean you should. In some games, minigames can be beneficial- either adding to immersion in the case of some high fidelity games, or evading boredom in games where they just exist to mix things up. Zomboid doesn't have the pacing to mix things up with a minigame (you're not going to pause the game, and having a whole minigame interface come up would cause issues), nor does it have the appropriate graphic or mechanical fidelity to increase immersion.

I see a lot of suggestions like this that, in a void, aren't bad suggestions- after all, plenty of games do it- but just that aren't good for PZ imho.

I've only recently come to desire a few interactive actions or mini-games for this game when I got tired of staring at progress bars and UI to do, well, almost everything. However, it took me 250 hours to get tired of it, but it's still not that much of an annoyance. I recognize now that it's not a popular idea, but if I knew how to program, I would implement a massive interactive overhaul in the game for my personal use, as well as the 3 other humans that would probably want it lol. Here's one example of what I might add.

For skills like carpentry, it would create puzzles that the player would have to complete, and the faster they complete it, the higher level their walls would be. They would start off really complicated and hard to complete before time runs out, so that when a player is a really low level, they're more likely to produce low-level or sloppy walls. However, if they are really crafty and can solve the puzzle quickly enough, they have the ability to stretch their skills. The puzzle would probably be like arranging wooden planks to look like a wall, starting with the planks all connected but jumbled up, able to rotate on an axis to form what looks like a wooden wall, but I haven't thought that far through it yet.

Carpentry books for various levels would have a chance to either make the puzzles drastically easier, or just give you the answers to some of them, but if you fail the puzzles even at these higher levels, you can still produce lower level walls. This would require a level of focus on the part of the player when doing something that would normally just be watching a black bar become green. This would keep me stimulated. I can almost guarantee that there is a very small amount of people that would want this, but to me, it would make the late game more interesting, because by that time, most of what you do within your safehouse will be click, wait, click, wait.

17 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I think it's enough to just roll a die and communicate the result to the player. Quick click and done. No separate UI or controls.

If the character has a key, the door or vehicle just unlocks. It just starts. If not, perhaps if the character has sufficient skill in lock picking or other methods bypass (tools), they just do it.

Not interested in minigame systems for this. Particularly when you can just break a window or the door itself to bypass it.

Pressing a single button to roll a die is fine, but please, no awkward text above the car;

*car fails to start*

*vrrrrrrrrrrrr--- pop*

*vrrrrrrooooooom*

...and no fumbling around in the UI to start the vehicle. I might be reading into the word "communicate" too literally, but as long as that communication is audiovisual in a way that does not involve text, it's good enough for me. Let me press "E" or whatever, and then give me an audio cue. Or, for those who play muted (which is a bad idea that no one should do lol), have a subtle shaking/bouncing animation for when a car is on. So, when the car is trying to start, we can see it shake/bounce a little bit, and if it stops, then we know it failed to start. This animation could be too cartoony for Zomboid though, so.... I guess this concludes my unpopular ideas list for today haha.

Edited by BayCon

There's a hotkey to start as of the latest build, and car starting sounds will be added when they're ready, so you don't have to worry about that. For now, there's already a graphical indicator in the UI for when it's started.

23 hours ago, BayCon said:

-snip-

I might be reading into the word "communicate" too literally, but as long as that communication is audiovisual in a way that does not involve text, it's good enough for me. Let me press "E" or whatever, and then give me an audio cue. Or, for those who play muted (which is a bad idea that no one should do lol), have a subtle shaking/bouncing animation for when a car is on. So, when the car is trying to start, we can see it shake/bounce a little bit, and if it stops, then we know it failed to start. This animation could be too cartoony for Zomboid though, so.... I guess this concludes my unpopular ideas list for today haha.

I think what you're saying about audovisual cues being key here is spot on, BayCon. In the morning, when I leave for work with coffee in hand, earbuds playing music and a joint between my lips, I start my car and feel for it to start. I'm half-asleep and half-drugged with music in my ears. Sure, I listen for my car to start when I'm not listening to music, but I want to add another voice to the "visual cue crew". I don't need to hear it to know if my car is starting or not.

The developers are excellent at implementing new features, so I'm not too worried about how this will be handled. The tech test for vehicles will help come up with new ideas, and so I'm confident that when the vehicles are released, they'll feel Zomboid through and through.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:59 AM, Kim Jong Un said:

The map area looks great. We need some big houses in PZ.

My only complaint from the picture is that the backyards are entirely barren. Posh 'hoods like that would have a few of those sporting a flower garden or two, if not at least a shed or patio/BBQ.

I was thinking the same thing. I grew up in a small town, across the interstate from a really nice neighborhood right on a fancy country club. My first thought looking at these was "where are the decks out back?" lol. Basically any of the bigger houses (and certainly the nicer ones lining the golf course) had large decks and/or hardscape extending out towards their well groomed backyards and pools.

All that being said, the new map tease looks awesome! Excited to explore the new big houses :D Looks like a cool location with the golf course and the lakes nearby :)

Edited by Kuren