37 n’ Next

nasKo

Does map expansion mean Louisville, Fort Knox, or some other map area? It's a little unclear to me. I was also wondering: given the implementation of cars, would the system being used to govern their movement be expandable into other modes of travel (bicycles, canoes, motorboats) and make their development more easy?

16 minutes ago, Strats said:

Does map expansion mean Louisville, Fort Knox, or some other map area? It's a little unclear to me. I was also wondering: given the implementation of cars, would the system being used to govern their movement be expandable into other modes of travel (bicycles, canoes, motorboats) and make their development more easy?

RE: map. The coming expansion isn't a 'big name' location-wise. It has a few interesting places to hold out for sure, but it's filling in the gaps before we reach those areas more than anything. It's a fairly spread out area though, and should be fun to explore once cars hit.

RE: vehicles question. One step at a time! Though clearly bicycles etc will require a ton more effort in terms of animation (and physics most likely if they were done well).

The car system could be improved further; Make it so that the vehicle is damaged and that you need to fix it to make it driveable. Also some changed to the map could be made; Make garages and let cars spawn inside them, a garage open mechanic and a car-garage would be cool. By the way are the cars in the game yet? If not will they be implemented soon?

Edited by Nikola

The green car looks best. However, I dislike that this game keeps pumping out new ideas instead of finishing on old ones, ie NPCs and ANIMs. Its great and all that you guys are actually working and adding new stuff in but focus on one big thing and then finish it... its been years since a massive update with something completely new to the game...

59 minutes ago, tomasz12345678 said:

The green car looks best. However, I dislike that this game keeps pumping out new ideas instead of finishing on old ones, ie NPCs and ANIMs. Its great and all that you guys are actually working and adding new stuff in but focus on one big thing and then finish it... its been years since a massive update with something completely new to the game...

These things are being worked on simultaneously (animations are one part of the team, NPCs another). It doesn't matter if all the focus went into one thing because the dev team is divided into their specialties. Animators and people who code animations won't be as good with NPC code as animation stuff and vice versa. What we have now is probably best because people are divided by their skill set and instead of one item very far down the dev pipeline, we have three. Keep in mind as well that much of this stuff depends on each other and is easier to code at the same time. Animating driving stuff, animating crashes, teaching NPCs how to drive without the result being Carmaggedeon, etc. All of these have to be working at a reasonable enough standard that the IWBUMS doesn't destroy peoples' computers. These aren't half-finished old ideas being displaced by new ideas, but rather a logical progression of features so that they mesh together well.

Hope that helps,

-Strats

Edited by Strats
Courtesy.

2 hours ago, Strats said:

These things are being worked on simultaneously (animations are one part of the team, NPCs another). It doesn't matter if all the focus went into one thing because the dev team is divided into their specialties. Animators and people who code animations won't be as good with NPC code as animation stuff and vice versa. What we have now is probably best because people are divided by their skill set and instead of one item very far down the dev pipeline, we have three. Keep in mind as well that much of this stuff depends on each other and is easier to code at the same time. Animating driving stuff, animating crashes, teaching NPCs how to drive without the result being Carmaggedeon, etc. All of these have to be working at a reasonable enough standard that the IWBUMS doesn't destroy peoples' computers. These aren't half-finished old ideas being displaced by new ideas, but rather a logical progression of features so that they mesh together well.

Hope that helps,

-Strats

Ok, so how many people are in each team? And it seems like they don't have a plan for what should come first... I think it would be better if they would focus on one thing instead of doing everything else at the same time, even if they might not be good at doing it. 

4 hours ago, tomasz12345678 said:

Ok, so how many people are in each team? And it seems like they don't have a plan for what should come first... I think it would be better if they would focus on one thing instead of doing everything else at the same time, even if they might not be good at doing it. 

TIS is too small to have teams. There's currently eight developers, plus a General Arcade dev.

Most major tasks are taken on by a single person. Some pull double duty (e.g. working a physics system for MP while doing general bug fixing).

Things come out when they're done with their project, assuming it doesn't depend on another person's work or another system. That can look uncoordinated from the outside, but developers on the team have different specialties and skills, so throwing them all at one thing at a time would not result in any real increase in speed; it'd also mean getting stable builds, bug fixes, patches, and getting  other content out wouldn't happen.