Character Voice Lines

Damien Darkside

So I am 99% sure I read somewhere about a character trait or type in the game eventually being a nerd or movie buff and would quote movie lines. I got to thinking that it was a pretty neat idea, it makes players feel more customized and less cookie cutter of a meat-sack that is waiting to die. We already have things in game such as pressing "Q" and from what I see, hunting (I have a mod, might be it) and reading books that are too advanced.

Oh and before I go on to this suggestion, this is purely aesthetic and non-game changing in terms of mechanics. However it definitely adds flavor to the game and I would love it.

Also a dedicated turn off button in the options since it is aesthetic, and a cooldown on lines.

Some random little thing that doesn't actually do much for your character, but makes them unique. As with the suggestion of a "movie buff" that can comment things like "Wow, this reminds me of those old Romero movies" and the like, we can have others and maybe that can be replacing "Unemployed" with "Movie Lover" "Optimistic" "Pessimist" "Fashion Lover"

Maybe like Dragon Age or Saint's Row where you can choose a "personality type" or "interest" that has the player say things randomly. 

NOW I DO NOT mean anything that would upset the balance of the game. Maybe it is italicized or something for the player thinking it. Maybe a player would say something while he is already being attacked by zombies but it doesn't attract zombies. For example, saying "Come on come on..." while already having a horde on his butt. It wouldn't attract zombies (he already is hunted) and he might mutter it.

It could also give some players more clues who are new to the game. "I think I lost them" when the player is being hunted by only one or two zombies since they will lose the player through trees. "Still bleeding, have to do first aid", and this doesn't replace the bleeding moodle, but would encourage players to look for the moodle, in case they forgot (I have confused moodles by not looking correctly). "It is getting really hot out." for heat and "I am freezing!" for cold.

Plus you know... toss these randomly on NPCs when they come out...

So you have the following options, which can be spoken (text line) or thoughts (italicized):

- Generic "Man I hate these zeds!" "I think I hear growling..." [Obvious zombie nearby] "Oh no they heard that..." [Window Smash] "Please don't be infected, please don't be infected" [Bite/Scratch] "Hello?" [sneak Q] "Come get me!" [Weapon ready, Q]
- Movie buff "I think I saw this in a movie once." [General] "What we've got here is failure to communicate." [NPC Interaction] "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" [Weapon ready, Q], "Game over man! Game over!" [Bitten/Scratched] "Queue up the violins and showers..." [Equip kitchen knife, ready weapon]
- Optimist "I think I gave them the slip." [Low Zombie Count Hunting] "Hopefully some food in here." [Getting into a house] "Tomorrow is another day!" [Sleep] "I'll do even better next time!" [Level up]
Pessimist "Five bucks says I run into a horde soon" [Low Zombie Count Hunting] "Just my luck..." [Zombies attacking] "Honestly, best outcome possible" [Drink Bleach] "Sure, generator will totally not make too much noise." [Starting up generator] "Oh great, canned food." [Canned food > 3] "F*ck I am so dead..." [Scratch, Bite]

- Tough Guy "You think you scare me?" [Low panic, Weapon ready Q],  "Let's smash some heads" [Equip 2 handed weapon, blunt] "Let's give Ivan a run for his money" [Equip Spear weapon], "Not going down like this" [Low health]
Boris, the Russian Lumberjack (fun while I think, replace Boris with PLAYERNAME) "Come at me! Fall before Russia!" [Weapon out, Q] "Who there? Friend of Boris?" [sneak Q] "Boris would like to... axe you question." [NPC Interaction] "Russia may fall, Boris may fall, but the dream lives on brothers!" [Infected, dying] "Ah! And Mother said Boris couldn't learn new things!" [Level up!] "Timber!" [Tree cut]

Of course, modding would open this up too, even if a basic framework was added (obviously late) in development.

• 5 weeks later...

We do not say so! Probably... Who there? Friend of Margera!!!

Although you know, I really like honestly, it's very sweet

On 23.04.2017 at 11:19 AM, Damien Darkside said:

Boris, the Russian Lumberjack

Who said - dragon age!? *___________________________*

Maybe like Dragon Age

So seriously, this is a brilliant idea, I really like it. In addition, it is possible to make a lot of mods.
At the end of the game, I think everyone should become more silent and slightly pessimistic ...
The idea is similar to the game Don't starve, there it is very cool realized because the game is also silenced.

#likelikelikelike #moreamazingatmosphere

Edited by Margera
my english

Excellent idea, would definitely make each character that much more unique.

Perhaps you could even tie it into the gameplay itself?

E.g, If they had a timid/shy personality and they'd managed to level up and survive for months, they'd become more insensitive and would reflect on their personality via dialogue.

or

Depending on your character's moodles, he'd be in different moods. E.g, if he was depressed, his dialogue would be very pessimistic.

Edited by Mr_Sunshine

Guys, I remember how the developers thought about making depression and even possible suicide from it.

That is, they wanted to add more importance to the mood of the character!

It's the same idea! 

With the help of such dialogues we could understand the mood of the character, and in this idea has a connection with dipressy, and with all everything that affects the mood of the character!

Maybe this will help developers in implementing this important aspect, we must somehow convey this idea!

Oh my sad english :c

Boris, the Russian Lumberjack

Also featuring phrases like "Do not fear, Boris is here", "Babushka, guide me!" and opening mayonez jars without tools. I think it's pretty balanced.

Where could I stick a link to Life of Boris in this post?

What do you mean by grandmother? :D

If you need phrases from Russia, I can easily provide a couple that you obviously do not guess, but every Russian smiles when he sees it

How great that the community raised the topic of sounds, I thought it was so important.

I feel a lack of these factors in the game. And if we get it someday, it be amazing!

• 2 months later...
On 24.05.2017 at 6:35 PM, Keshash said:

Also featuring phrases like "Do not fear, Boris is here", "Babushka, guide me!" and opening mayonez jars without tools. I think it's pretty balanced.

Where could I stick a link to Life of Boris in this post?

Lines should be seriously, only 5% of them stereotype, just like funny refferences. "Life of Boris" is the worst YT channel ever if you interested in slavian culture, not memes are based on stereotypes. Yes, i'm triggered. No, i ain't mad.

• 2 months later...

I hope there's no problem about reviving old topics but.

I think this is awesome. I can tell you that this is a thing and for example, Don't starve has it.

The characters say something depending of the action, also when examining something ( tbh I love doing that lol ), or when they're going to be attacked by hounds or when they're attacking the monsters they say small lines like 'I'll smack you' but this obviously depends of the character. Of course, it doesn't have to be voiced so it brings zombies, it can be as you said, a thought. And also, the 'Q' line should have other options maybe?