The Trouble with Sheet Ropes

Tomwa

Does anyone else find sheet ropes difficult to use?

I have a square like so:

I cannot place a sheet rope on the remaining side, for some reason this happens. I'm happily constructing sheet ropes and next thing I know I can no longer place them.

In my inventory (not in any bags as I have none on my person) are 67 sheet ropes, 127 nails, a hammer, and a sledgehammer (I'm doing this in admin mode, but this is a recurring issue in our ongoing multiplayer game).

Upon removing a sheet rope I cannot put it back:

Restarting the server resolves the issue.

For some reason building sheet ropes is incredibly iffy at times:
https://giphy.com/gifs/project-zomboid-l0IyeSYeQAGZWmaxa

I'd also like to request that the same highlighting used for the storage containers is used for highlighting the object whose context menu is currently being viewed. This should help prevent people from climbing out windows and falling to their death (admittedly changing "climb through" to "climb down" would help as well).

Along side this is a recurring issue where the context key ("E" in my case) only sometimes works for sheet ropes, particularly you have to restart the server before you can climb down newly crafted sheet ropes using the context key.

I never actually use them because I am terrified of zombies screwing them up. Last thing I need is to hop out a window and realize the ground is coming up fast. I concur with having some kind of highlight over activating an object. I can't tell you how many times I have to look for a white switch on a bright, white surface to turn off a light. I end up right clicking everywhere to find "turn off".

I do like that neat rope ladder thing you got going though. Reminds me of Landstalker for the Sega Genesis.

Are ropes a part of the vanilla game yet? I know that they are in HyrdoC. They really should be in vanilla as a tier 2 rope-ladder system.

Also as a last question to OP, does weight matter when climbing those ropes? I also have a fear of climbing up with too much weight and it snapping.

15 hours ago, Name1234 said:

They should have added legit craftable rope/wood/metal ladders a while ago

its probably true but thats one of those things thats like, theres enough other stuff to do that is much more pressing.

On 4/23/2017 at 5:33 AM, Damien Darkside said:

I never actually use them because I am terrified of zombies screwing them up. Last thing I need is to hop out a window and realize the ground is coming up fast. I concur with having some kind of highlight over activating an object. I can't tell you how many times I have to look for a white switch on a bright, white surface to turn off a light. I end up right clicking everywhere to find "turn off".

I do like that neat rope ladder thing you got going though. Reminds me of Landstalker for the Sega Genesis.

Are ropes a part of the vanilla game yet? I know that they are in HyrdoC. They really should be in vanilla as a tier 2 rope-ladder system.

Also as a last question to OP, does weight matter when climbing those ropes? I also have a fear of climbing up with too much weight and it snapping.

We've built 5 different colossal towers on our Multiplayer server, we're not using any mods so it's all straight vanilla, and neither weight nor injury matter (I've climbed the rope with extremely heavy loads and fractured shins) we usually take each rope to a separate floor with a similar setup in each of the four corners of the building.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/23/2017 at 6:33 AM, Damien Darkside said:

This actually happened to me recently because I never knew they could destroy them. Helicopter event attracted a massive horde and I used a now missing rope window, broke my leg but somehow didn't get hit by them zamboozles. I then had that shocking discovery forever ingrained into me.

But it would be nice to see some form of stronger rope ladders,  We already have the two ingredients that would be used in it's creation (Sturdy Sticks/Rope). Would be nice to see as an early or intermediate carpentry item. Possibly also uses screws to least give it a bit more trouble for creation.

Archived