Of Chairs and Barricades

TheWraithPlayer

Me and a friend of mine where taking turns on my PC playing zomboid. At one point he got trapped upstairs in his house and was barricading a room to hide in/possibly make a stand. He is a recent player, and asked if he could move things to barricade. I said yes, and his first move was to place a normal chair that you can walk through in front of the door.

Me: "What did you do that for?'

Friend: 'I set the chair in front of it to block the zombies'

Me: 'they can just walk through it like u can.'

Friend: "Can I put it under the doorknob to jam the door?"

Me: "No.'

Friend: 'why not?! That's just kinda stupid'

So I thought about this for a while, and he has a point. Chairs should have some functionality other than resting and sleepingn

As always, thanks for reading.

Zombies are kind of in de habbit of knocking, but not using the door knobs, opting instead to break down the door. So jamming a chair against the door to keep zombies out is kind of useless, since they don't use them like we do.

Against other survivors in MP I can see use for this. But not so much in the scenario you described.

Chairs and couches and actually pretty much every piece of furniture should have a use for barricading, chairs shouldnt block a door like that but they should make you move slower when walking past them so you could put up a lot of chairs at the door to slow the zombies down a lil

couches and all that on the other hand should make it harder for zombies to break through doors and slow them down considerably but you would have to be a strong character and need some tools to move those

Edited by zoeyflower

On 4/15/2017 at 2:46 PM, GHawkins said:

Zombies are kind of in de habbit of knocking, but not using the door knobs, opting instead to break down the door. So jamming a chair against the door to keep zombies out is kind of useless, since they don't use them like we do.

Against other survivors in MP I can see use for this. But not so much in the scenario you described.

Would be nice (and slightly more realistic IMHO) for the zombies to have a chance of knocking the door open rather than obliterating it to it's components.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, i have a Question!

Do you know, the roof of the houses still still remains whole without the walls around?

3 minutes ago, Sky_Orc_Mm said:

Some objects are invincible, not just televisions. I have repeatedly reported the issue, it seems that only part of the fix.

Like there was some kind of mod for this thing, but I do not know whether its developers took it into their arsenal...

On 16.4.2017 at 6:43 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

Thanks for the comments, they make a lot of sense. On the part about tools for moving couches, you've lsot me. I never understood why you need a hammer just to move a cabinet or a bookshelf.

Balancing, I know it doesnt really make sense but if anyone could just immediately move those around with just their bare hands, multiplayer would be a clusterfuck and every single building would be completely empty and void of furniture or stuff to loot

On 4/15/2017 at 1:14 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

Can I put it under the doorknob to jam the door?

I really like this as an idea :D It could be a way of barricading a door if you don't have nails, a hammer or a plank, just adding a little hp to the door :)

12 hours ago, Kuren said:

I really like this as an idea :D It could be a way of barricading a door if you don't have nails, a hammer or a plank, just adding a little hp to the door :)

Much like OP's pal, I did this for the longest time thinking it did something. It just made so much sense.