Did a forum search, found a few mentions of some gear in a few discussions here and there, and thought I'd expand upon it a little bit. :)

With the animation update including lots of new models, I thought I'd mention usable gear that could display what players, zombies, and hopefully NPCs in the future, are carrying.

That being said, let's get started! :-D

Utility Belts

A brief mention of this both here and here, with the equipment involved and the benefits of the gear being visible to players. 

Utility belts are used by police officers to carry equipment including handcuffs, pistols, extra magazines/pistol rounds, flashlights, handheld radios, batons, knife or multi-functional tools, keys, basic first aid items, and disposable gloves. Soldiers also use packs and belts to an extent, though that's not really my area. :) 

Workers in and around construction areas *cough* McCoy Logging Co. *cough*, not to mention plumbers, mechanics, and other professions, frequently use utility belts to carry tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, and the like.

A few photos with some captions:

Spoiler

UtilityBelt.jpg.c60f0a75b1cc14d2db756aae037df1d7.jpgThe police utility belt with general items.Cops.png.c82f8f033b898df5924d4618f11aa2b4.png

1992 LAPD officers (one year before the events of PZ).  Keys, handcuffs, service weapons, and batons can be seen on the utility belts.

I bring the utility belt up because as I mentioned in a separate thread, it would be worth checking to see if there's still a gun in the holster before making what might be an unnecessary risk to get it, or if a police-radio is still clipped onto the belt/uniform as seen in the photo, or dragging on the ground, which leads me to my second topic:

Radios

As mentioned in the aforementioned links, police officers use their radios to inform dispatch of the current situation, while soldiers use radios to keep in touch with their superiors/fellow soldiers. 

Useful gameplay-wise to just attach it and inform both players and possibly NPCs of information, with above-mentioned radio broadcasts. Graphically - I think they'd be awesome, and add a huge amount of atmosphere.

More photos:

Spoiler

Radio1.pngUndeadDeputy2.png

Here, we can see the microphone still attached to the radio in both positions.  The first is regularly clipped onto the lapel of the uniform, while the second has slipped off.  In my opinion, both would add a great deal of atmosphere - especially to see a fallen officer with his microphone out, knowing he called for backup that no longer existed. (Taken from the Police Gear thread; also see aforementioned photo of LAPD officers)

And finally:

Holsters

Fairly straightforward, places for firearms - either slung over the back, in the waistband of the pants, or a holster by the side - would be both cool to see and important for gameplay purposes. As said in a separate thread, it'd be helpful to know if the man you're talking to has a gun in the waistband of his pants or a holster by his side, be it another player or an NPC.

And that's about it!  :) 

Edited by Deputy

Very cool idea about radio
One zombie police officer with a radio can very deceive random players, it would be great!

And generally speaking about animation, it is worth considering the developers' plans for animation slots for various things on the player's body. That is, it should be some kind of common slots, like things that you can wear on your belt or over your shoulder or behind your back.