A Couple Things About PZ

TonyNowak

I can't post in the suggestions forum or respond to any threads so I figured here would be as good a place as any.

1. Saw's, they shouldn't be so rare, it's nearly impossible to do any sort of building without one, I've been playing with my current survivor in Muldraugh for nearly a month now and STILL haven't come across a saw. Hammers and screwdrivers and trowels galore, it doesn't make any sense, it should also be an item in a pack for characters with construction/carpentry skills by default. This is currently my biggest gripe with PZ, is that fairly common items in real life are nowhere to be found, and the more offbeat ones are abundant, while some items can be found in weird places all together. (I found a hunting rifle, 3 box's of 308 ammunition, a shotgun and shells, in the school, in a classroom... I find guns everywhere but I cannot find a saw)

2. The 2x tiles look great but there's still something off about the world. There don't seem to be any power lines or stations anywhere, even a water station (I know vehicles are coming, hopefully soon, would love to see wrecked or abandoned cars but you covered this in a blog post, still super excited though), it would be cool to see these things and if you could find a station it could be possible to turn on power/water if only for a short while as places like that need to be maintained. Maybe it would only deliver resources to certain areas. Seeing things like some puddles when it rains too, running through one could make a big splash and maybe attract nearby zeds, could be easy to do and convincing with a nice atlas of puddle tiles.

3. I don't know if characters grow facial hair or not, but it would be cool, and give a use for the razor, right click the razor to shave a la Don't Starve. It would be cool to use other things that are currently useless such as the toothbrush and toothpaste.

4. When vehicles do come out siphoning gas would be great, useful on generators too, I figured you'd need a key item to start the vehicle you find, but PLEASE don't make vehicles this impossible thing and a rarity (until the later months). You should only need a key/gas, and I don't know how in depth vehicles will be but if it needs work it can be fixed, but not every car should be broken. During the initial infection, and after the first week, vehicles should be relatively easy to find and use provided you have the keys and a gas can. Trunk storage would be awesome, as well as being able to loot the interiors of cars, ambulances having medical supplies, a squad car spawning the occasion shotgun or pistol, sedans and station-wagons other generic vehicles maybe with clothing in them, random small stuff.

Other than that I can't wait too see what gets added and how the game will change whenever animations/vehicles drop. Been waiting since the beginning and I'm glad to see that they are finally being worked on...

1. While the saws are rare, especially compared to the other items required in obscure crafting, seeing as popular other items is, you currently only need one and you are set for the game unless you deliberately lose them, as they are not breakable, though the same can be said about for example trowels.

The main problem about them being rare is that I think they only spawn in specific areas, while other things are found in other places too. Though I have to say that sledgehammers (although not nearby as necessary, especially with item moving and deconstructing) and axes (which can be replaced by stone axes) seems rarer in my experience. They both also double as a good weapon, depending on your preferences, so they will break at times (especially with axes that also break when cutting trees).

One thing that was suggested in couple places before is that the saws should either break over time or have blades in them that break - that could be a valid excuse to make them (or blades) vastly available :)

It is also possible to craft without them, but you are pretty much limited to log walls, which are still a really viable alternative to make a sold walls :)

I would love if item distribution would be massively overhauled at some point (even without switching the system), so items appear more realistically. For now even if some items only appear in certain facilities and/or containers, it's still RNG mostly. I think it could be solved without implementing new features, but it would have to be tested extensively and compared with what you possibly can get in RL and may be hard to balance every update if new items are added, so it may wait till all the items and related features are added.

2. I think the power and water station, if implemented, will be situated in Fort Knox, which is somewhere down the road. Whether or not they will indeed be and/or if will be interactable, it's soley the dev decision though :). It would be nice to have some smaller facilities and power lines scattered through the map in a realistic manner though, even if they serve no purpose - it would add some life and navigational points to outskirts, but given how map is expanding slowly with every so or other update, it is a possibility I presume.

3. It was suggested before too, so I'm pretty sure devs acknowledged it :). However, if it will come, it will be after animation update for sure. Not sure about hygiene items (showers, baths, toothpase), as devs don't plan any hygiene systems. Razors and makeup items are not strictly related to hygiene, so they could actually serve a purpose in character customization. Not sure if devs add it after animation update, but we'll just have to see.

4. I'm pretty sure siphoning and extra storage in vehicles are planned or at least acknowledged features. I just wish they'd add a storage to moving items in vehicles, instead of putting them inside a bag, as well as corpses and generators. Also relted is my post about the furniture moving.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing some of whats possible with modding, I think "beard hair" could totally be an item returned from the player. 

We need to mod in some kind of timer that goes to a hundred, and a recipe that keeps the razor and uses it to zero that timer, returning 1 beard hair for every month, perhaps?

See Don't Starve for ideas of what to do with beard hair. If someone can help me mod in the timer that fills the beard hair, its straightforward to do the rest and then we can integrate it into a necronomicon mod. 

11 hours ago, thiosk said:

See Don't Starve for ideas of what to do with beard hair.

Hmm. Warmer in the winter.  Hotter in the summer.  This idea has some merit. But da Devs says we's aint got no hygene, Thiosk. We's jest a buncha doity ol' bums. hobofrown

f859a2c990541cf478d552c059ed62ca.jpg

51 minutes ago, Zombadger said:

Hmm. Warmer in the winter.  Hotter in the summer.  This idea has some merit. But da Devs says we's aint got no hygene, Thiosk. We's jest a buncha doity ol' bums. hobofrown

f859a2c990541cf478d552c059ed62ca.jpg

in that case they shouldnt' have given us such effective mod tools.

muahahahahahahahahhahaAHHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH *cough* *cough* *hack* ugh ok im ok sheesh

Archived