Can't host server any more?

ToddAndChips

Hi all,

There was a time a while ago where I enjoyed this game with a couple of friends. Many hours were spent dying horribly of infection and bludgeoning stuff to death.

The thing is, it's been a while since I played, and the server system appears to have changed somewhat. I used to run an executable file (or something of that sort) from my PC and others would be able to connect via IP address, but I can't seem to get that working.

I've noticed there's a new "host" option in the main menu, which I've tried starting a server on, but so far to no avail. It simply doesn't appear on my friend's server browser list, even if I tick the "public" box in the settings.

Is there still a way to run it on my end and connect via IP? Or perhaps a way to just get a private or a public and passworded server running? I am using no mods whatsoever, and both me and my friend are on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Many thanks,

Todd

You need to invite your friends to a server made by the Hosts button. Press Esc -> Invite -> player's name -> send invite.

They'll then get an  invite through the Steam chat that they need to accept.

This is the simplest way to go about it.

Hey Butter Bot, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I don't see an invite button anywhere. When I press Esc in the game, I see User Panel, Admin Panel, and Players. No sign of an invite button within any of those menus from what I can tell either.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm unable to invite my friend directly through the steam friends list as well.

Thanks again for the reply anyway!

Hey Butter Bot,

No need mate - I found the source of the problem! From a long long time ago I had "-nosteam" in the launch options, most likely something to do with the way I hosted the server. That was what was disabling the in game steam friends functionality, and thus why I couldn't see the "invite players" option. So it's all fixed now, and my friend and I are able to enjoy some elongated zombie survival action :)

Much appreciated for your quick replies and help though! <3

Archived