Regeneration of resources in nature.

Atoxwarrior

I think that a system of overexploitation should be worked on, but that everything in the subject of scouring and fishing, at least for a longer time in which an area can have resources again, it is rare that my character gets berries next to the Base and I just have to wait for the next day to re-search the same area, I will survive at berries point, I would also like to take into account the over exploitation of the aquatic life, if my character fishes too much in an area the pesces Should not appear for a long time, at least that the need to explore new areas in search of resources, or at least that the botin is restilled progressively, is a way in which it would help to give more realism to the life in the forest.

It would be great to be able to distribute a little more the booty of nature, in an area you can get medicinal plants easier, in another area you can get berries with more abundance, in another you can get more wild animals, and thus give a random , To make some areas with more abundance for certain types of resources, would be great as when hunters must travel different areas to hunt so they can not be riding their traps in the same place forever.

This will help in the future when npc animals are placed.
Watch out for the spiffo wolf can be adorable but biting hard.

58ddd8806a8ab_Spiffolobo.png.ca6a97524d7a413f5dfd5d7caa315b6f.png

On 31.3.2017 at 6:19 AM, Atoxwarrior said:

I would also like to take into account the over exploitation of the aquatic life, if my character fishes too much in an area the pesces Should not appear for a long time

theres a point where you get so deep into fucking the player over in every way you can that you eventually do the most dramatic yet pointless unrealistic changes to the game and make it overly tedious and frustrating to play where its no longer fun and more of a painful chore than entertainment.

youre a single guy in the apocalypse at the moment, you cant outfish an entire lake like that in the average playtime, probably not even in the current record playtime which is something like 1 or 2 years of survival..

37 minutes ago, zoeyflower said:

theres a point where you get so deep into fucking the player over in every way you can that you eventually do the most dramatic yet pointless unrealistic changes to the game and make it overly tedious and frustrating to play where its no longer fun and more of a painful chore than entertainment.

youre a single guy in the apocalypse at the moment, you cant outfish an entire lake like that in the average playtime, probably not even in the current record playtime which is something like 1 or 2 years of survival..

This x100.

1 hour ago, zoeyflower said:

And without that, you have abundance through nature that provides no challenge whatsoever, making the system the  most powerful in the game.

Which sounds rather tedious and frustrating by itself. But don't worry, there is a sandbox option called "nature abundance."

^

but you have to worry about maintaining your base and about repairing your weapons and fighting / avoiding hordes of zombies etc you cant just look at the single system and say its op when theres a ton of other things you have to take care of which are underpowered and designed to screw you up (for example the random helicopters that lead huge hordes over to your base)

if you just look at this single thing itself sure its overpowered but if you play the game and you cant do half the things that normal human beings could do to get out of a hairy situation, weapons dont behave realistically like a 3 pound axe requiring 20 to 50 hits to kill a single zombie, firearms barely ever hit anything and are used mainly as a distraction / baiting tool rather than an actual firearm, or just the fact alone that a single tiny mistake (or the random generated helis and such) will end your character and probably ruin your entire base that probably took several real life days to build up to a halfway powerful level, you gotta realize that at some point that you have to tone down on making everything absurdly unrealistic for "balancing and gameplay reasons"  because there will always be new players who wont even bother with this game because its worse than real life and just stressful and frustrating and not a single bit of fun to play

sorry for the big unformatted blob wall of text 

Zoe, it's been in the game for a few years now. How big of an impact has it had on you? :P

Most weapons in the game kill in 3-5 hits, even the crap ones. Even without any skill, you'll hit 1 in 5 shots.

Hardly unrealistic. Hyerpbole doesn't strengthen an argument.

I can confirm that having an obese character with hearty eater trait, I can live off berries just fine, counting for days already without even sleeping (give us passing out already :P), as i'm busy building the walls. All of that without even trying to fill myself to any fed state I barely lose any weight.

On top of that I forage roughly in the same areas - I have to admit that the areas regenerate really quickly in vanilla survival settings - and with the new system I only look for materials (for stone axes) and berries only when my character starts to be hungry.

14 hours ago, Butter Bot said:

Zoe, it's been in the game for a few years now. How big of an impact has it had on you? :P

Most weapons in the game kill in 3-5 hits, even the crap ones. Even without any skill, you'll hit 1 in 5 shots.

Hardly unrealistic. Hyerpbole doesn't strengthen an argument.

Well its not how it went for me in multiplayer, atleast when i last played 2 months ago not a single shot ever hit and my pristine fire axe required legitimate 20-50 hits to kill a single zombie at times, sometimes being instant kill or 2 hit but most of the time it took over 40 hits to kill a zombie

only weapon that wasnt a chore to use was the kitchen knife being an instant kill along with a satisfying animation

i wouldnt want to come back to this game at some point and find that pretty much everything that was doable before is now "balanced" ridiculously to the point where nothings fun to play and the most basic things a human can do take years of practice in game (referring to the rainbarrel which is just a plastic bag over a bunch of planks)

granted a lot of stuff probably changed since i last played which is a considerable time ago so im probably no longer up to date and maybe the fireaxe was powered up in the recent months

also the helicopter events used to ruin a lot of my barricaded homes and forced me to flee and also caused my death sometimes

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
my main point is a single man cant outfish a big lake like that within like a year,  if the devs implement something like that the games just gonna get pointlessly more difficult and eventually like this we will just keep on accepting their balancing without looking at the imbalances that are already there and at some point this game could turn into something way too hard for the average gamer or someone with a job to enjoy

AND btw if you have no skills "youll hit 1 in 5 shots" thats hits, not kills. from what i played i had to stand still for 5 seconds without moving while the zombies advanced towards me to hit / kill a single one, even with shotguns most will just fall down and get up again and only few die 

guns used to be fun to use and actually have a point to them other than baiting zombies over when a shot would be a kill, they already were balanced by how rare bullets and the guns themselves were but the devs continued patching em and nowadays you cant even use a good strategy to hit and its all just random luck based with a very low chance of killing

Edited by zoeyflower

Weapons haven't really changed in a good two years. It sounds like you just had a bad MP experience, possibly involving lag. 40-50 hits with an axe or other weapon is not at all normal.

The player needs to have an effect on the world and manage their resources. That's emulated from letting a player exhaust the resources of a zone for a period of time, if they rely on it over much.

That's not to say necessarily that it's realistic, but I feel it's necessary for a game to have difficulty. Even Harvest Moon limited the amount of times you could fish in a cycle.

4 hours ago, Butter Bot said:

Weapons haven't really changed in a good two years. It sounds like you just had a bad MP experience, possibly involving lag. 40-50 hits with an axe or other weapon is not at all normal.

The player needs to have an effect on the world and manage their resources. That's emulated from letting a player exhaust the resources of a zone for a period of time, if they rely on it over much.

That's not to say necessarily that it's realistic, but I feel it's necessary for a game to have difficulty. Even Harvest Moon limited the amount of times you could fish in a cycle.

you got a point right there you robotic dairy product, but I still feel like the devs need to cool down on the things they ridiculously underpower before they ruin the entire game for normal / casual players as long as the time where you cant fish isnt absurd like an entire month or so (1 week of fishing vs 1 week of being unable to fish would be fair I guess, it would make fishing a great option to maintain a food source for a while without allowing you to stockpile on enough bass to solve the world hunger problem) and I still feel like randomly calculated missing from firearms and extremely low kill chances were a bad way to deal with balancing firearms and needs to be fixed but thats for another topic i guess

5 hours ago, Crazy ManMan said:

I disagree with passing out. Humans do not normally just faint from lack of sleep unless they allow themselves to sit down and get bored. An active person can stay awake until they literally die from lack of sleep (the world record is like 14 days). Before that things get worse and worse, headaches, sleep drunk, lack of focus, hallucinations, etc.

I'm fine either way :) The moodle just states passing out, though these are due to be overhauled down the road. Either way, the current way of staying awake months without sleeping is surely nothing close to being realistic either way lol

• 9 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:23 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

This is already done with the zoning system. Resources can be exhausted and take a long time to return.

[I didn't see a need to start a new thread - will move it if necessary] So, does the "zoning system" affect aquatic life, i.e. you *can* fish out a lake? I'm a little unclear from my skimming of the above. If so, how large are these zones? If the small lake at the Campgrounds East of Dixie runs out of fish, will the much larger lake at 12602x8816 run out as well?