• No, I hate bikes!
    • Hm, suggestion require changes.
  2. 2. What would be an issue?

• None
    • Bikes too uncool
    • Unbalanced
    • Doesn't fit the game universe
    • Something else (post comment)

I apologize if I'm wrong but I believe this has been confirmed. I'm not entirely sure I can link you to the confirmation because it was on the other forums but either way I voted this up.

EDIT: Enigma, stop being a ding dong and voting for 'bikes are too uncool' psh... Psh... Ding dong...

I've modified the poll to so that it's results now determine if "MrZombified Gamer" is "cool."

• 2 weeks later...

Only one issue with this. THIS IS AMERICA(bad 300 reference) We really do not ride bikes all that much as adults(could be why we have such weight issues). I ride a bike 2 or 3 times a week but out of all my friends(psst like i have any) im the only one that has a bike.

Only one issue with this. THIS IS AMERICA(bad 300 reference) We really do not ride bikes all that much as adults(could be why we have such weight issues). I ride a bike 2 or 3 times a week but out of all my friends(psst like i have any) im the only one that has a bike.

I think they're still plenty common enough to be found frequently. I know several people who bike to work where I live, and I have a mountain bike myself. I think it's probably more common down south (due to inclement weather parts of the year in the north) which would be a plus for KY, too.

Zombies should be able to grab your easier if you ride into a horde. And panicked survivors should have a greater chance of wrecking and falling off the bike. You should ride a bike when an angry wild animal chasing you trying to eat you.

Zombies should be able to grab your easier if you ride into a horde. And panicked survivors should have a greater chance of wrecking and falling off the bike. You should ride a bike when an angry wild animal chasing you trying to eat you.

I think zombies should be able to knock you over fairly easily, but I don't like the idea of just falling over for no reason. If a player falls it should be their own mistake, whether it's driving over a curb or running into a tree, but not just because you're panicked.

i would rather have a car to get around in, and yes have them all over the street since the game right now seems naked. only thing tha scares u is the zombies.but i wish it had more fire all around cars working or not, crashed or still parked in the drive way. make it more like a horror survial type game (fire fox is not able to spell check when making these post and making threads so sry. =( )

theres to mant disadvantages with a bike. u can get pulled off, u would get tired from going as fast as u can from the zombies./ n u cant run zombies over and watching them go flying as u plau threw them.. xD..

also blow a car up and draw zombies away from the area u want to go in but u cant. even live in a car instead of a house since we know u cant stay in one area to long. xD

I think zombies should be able to knock you over fairly easily, but I don't like the idea of just falling over for no reason. If a player falls it should be their own mistake, whether it's driving over a curb or running into a tree, but not just because you're panicked.

i agree but being Panicked gives u less control over the bike. (i know this can happenj since it did when i was being chased when i was younger and looking back to see where they where i rammed into the back of a parked car going flying. lol xD

i would rather have a car to get around in, and yes have them all over the street since the game right now seems naked. only thing tha scares u is the zombies.but i wish it had more fire all around cars working or not, crashed or still parked in the drive way. make it more like a horror survial type game (fire fox is not able to spell check when making these post and making threads so sry. =( )

theres to mant disadvantages with a bike. u can get pulled off, u would get tired from going as fast as u can from the zombies./ n u cant run zombies over and watching them go flying as u plau threw them.. xD..

also blow a car up and draw zombies away from the area u want to go in but u cant. even live in a car instead of a house since we know u cant stay in one area to long. xD

Cars are already going to happen, but they have their own drawbacks. You run out of gas with cars, or they break down. They're also very loud, so they attract zombies to you.

With the bike you get silence and much faster movement than walking. Bikes are even quieter than running. The point of bikes isn't to escape from zombies so much as it is to move from place to place without the zombies noticing. If you treat the game like it's a running and gunning game, the bikes might not be as good. But if you treat it like a survival horror game, they're probably much better than cars.

I can say pretty confidently that we won't be running over zombies and making them go flying like Saints Row or something. You may be able to hit a few for damage but I think it's likely that hitting zombies will break your car, just like it would in real life. Here's an image to show what can happen when a car hits a large animal at high speed:

Warning Warning Warning VERY GORY OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK Warning Warning Warning

pic02741.jpg

Also, cars really don't explode like you see in movies. They can catch fire a bit, and there can be a bit of a fireball, but the amount of damage it would actually do to a zombie would be negligible.

I'd love bikes. Frankly, I think the notion of driving a car in a zombie apocalypse is stupid unless you plan on travelling VERY long distances, since the noise and gasoline use are two very detrimental factors. Just traveling around a town/city would be for a bike. Silent, quick, and it keeps you in shape.

I'd propably just ride around town ringing the bell (there will be a bell on the bike right? coz' there should.) and watching the dumb fuckers form a nice straight line after me.

How about drunk driving then? I broke one of my front teeth in half when I went to buy cigarettes with a bike and fell on my face... not a good idea in retrospect.

I think they're still plenty common enough to be found frequently. I know several people who bike to work where I live, and I have a mountain bike myself. I think it's probably more common down south (due to inclement weather parts of the year in the north) which would be a plus for KY, too.

Most likely i live in Nebraska hehe 1000x more atvs here.

Idk if you guys ever went grocery shopping with a bike and a backpack but they severely reduce your carrying capacity because you need to balance the weight. Plus if you get caught near a zombie you are screwed, but a bike would be really nice to have to get from point A to point B faster.

Many schools have bike racks and I can only assume that the kids would bring their backpacks with them, even if it isn't as heavy as what is carried in PZ it could still be used as a reference.

What I am trying to say is your could carry a good amount still, but not nearly as much as you could without the bike, and you definitely could not overload yourself. Plus more weight = higher inertia = easier to fall and harder to stop. Using a bike would come at great risk for zombie infection as well, but could potentially pay off if used correctly (and probably only good for use outside the cities where there are fewer zombies).

I think you're crazy (giggle). You might be able to carry a bit less, but bikes would be fantastic even in cities. They're very maneuverable and very quick. If I can outrun 10 people sprinting at me on my bike, I can outrun some shambling zombies. The only problem would be getting cornered, but I think that saying they wouldn't be useful in the city is way off base. We'll see though  (tophat)

What I am trying to say is your could carry a good amount still, but not nearly as much as you could without the bike, and you definitely could not overload yourself. Plus more weight = higher inertia = easier to fall and harder to stop. Using a bike would come at great risk for zombie infection as well, but could potentially pay off if used correctly (and probably only good for use outside the cities where there are fewer zombies).

I think you're crazy (giggle). You might be able to carry a bit less, but bikes would be fantastic even in cities. They're very maneuverable and very quick. If I can outrun 10 people sprinting at me on my bike, I can outrun some shambling zombies. The only problem would be getting cornered, but I think that saying they wouldn't be useful in the city is way off base. We'll see though  (tophat)

Bikes can not stop or turn very sharp. With crowds of zombies everywhere, you are bound to hit them or wipe out trying to avoid one. either scenario could be fatal when there is a horde near. I think overall a bike would be valuable though.

He's saying that you wouldn't be riding at a stupid speed. You don't need to ride fast at all to outrun a zombie, so if you go fast enough to outrun them, but slow enough to manage to corner and stop well, a bike is incredible for traversing large distances in a short amount of time.

Bikes can not stop or turn very sharp. With crowds of zombies everywhere, you are bound to hit them or wipe out trying to avoid one. either scenario could be fatal when there is a horde near. I think overall a bike would be valuable though.

Errrr... no. Proper bikes stop very quickly. Trust me, I'm a mountain biker. If we couldn't stop or turn, we'd be dead. If bikes didn't stop or turn, I would be impaled on a tree after a 4,000 foot fall. As someone with legitimate first hand experience... trust me.

There's nothing Muldraugh, KY could throw at me that I couldn't handle. Obviously running into a dead end is a possibility, but if I knew my way around and I didn't bike straight into a horde I'd be completely safe.

I'm totally up for bikes getting added in, maintaining them would be hard as lots of stuff could go wrong. You could blow a tire, or fall down and possibly die if you hit something hard / pass hard, you also have to maintain it by oiling the chain, and you have to have the right stats to ride it effectively, a fat person would be way slower, and easier for zombies to catch then a fit person. Same applies to a man with poor eye vision, and one with good eye vision, one would have no problems riding and spotting obstacles while the other may crash. I don't see how bikes can be unbalanced in any way.. I want my mountain bike.  :cool: 

So I read though this tread and I just thought I would add my two cents, 

1: Bike use less energy than walking if your moving at same speed, Though this game world is totally flat in the real world you get to coast down hills and on flat ground letting you use even less of your bodies own power, Im pretty Sure I read something in a Mag at the doctors office while the wife was getting the regular baby checkup that the bike is the most efficient means of transport that humans have invented to this point for personal use. I would have to do some research to back this claim up though. 

2. Bikes have saddle bags, or you can add them pretty easy, If you guy can read a book and figure out how to construct a house, Im sure he can mange to add Saddle bag racks to a bike. You could even opt to over load your bike and just walk it if you have a lot of stuff to carry. Im sure most of us have seen that Hippie ridding around town or on the highway or something that has a basket in front of the handle bars on behind the back seat and Saddle bags on either side of the back wheel. You can carry a lot of stuff on a bike if you load it right.

3. To the people that don't think you would use a car over a bike in the Zom Apoc, I think its worth noting that when the game starts aren't we already about 3 weeks in ? What im getting at is that im sure gas is not going to be easy to find, And I would also guess its going to be harder to stock pile. 

4. Spare parts for a bike seem like they would be much easier to find than car parts, and the Avg person can learn to work on a bike pretty quickly vs the time it takes to know how to repair some of a cars more complex systems.

5. If you have to get the **** out think of how much farther a person can go "Sprinting" on a bike than on foot. Think im crazy, put on a backpack and go out side and go run Full Bore until your winded, then go rest up and do the same thing on a ten speed and see how many more blocks down the street you are before you 1. cant Peddle anymore 2. how much father you coast after you stop Peddling, I think you will see the point im trying to make here.

Cons- With the Current View distance I don't see how any kind of Vec, be it Bike or Car is going to be useful. at the speed that a car should be able to move your going to end up Driving it in to one of these 90+ Zed packs before you can even hit the break, I mean really... right now you guy can see like 20 feet in front of him in broad day light. This will result in your car stopping ... and zed dragging you out of the front seat. I think it would pretty much be the same thing with a Bike before you could even react you will be getting a Zed power Closeline followed up by the Chompy Piledriver.

I think it would be great if the screen zoomed out a bit (or maybe stretched to show more in front of you, but less behind?) so you had a better way of navigating.

I don't really think bikes are all *that* hard to maintain. Many even have a little kit on them with a small tire inflator, patches, and a few tools. If the chain comes off, most of the time you can just put it back on. Tires can be mended or even ridden flat in an emergency. If a brake fails (on a mountain bike) you can just mend it with a bit of wire. Brakes on street bikes can't really fail unless the whole thing fails which is pretty likely. All in all bikes are easy to ride, easy to maintain, and very efficient.

Also worth noting down south mountain bikes are probably as common if not moreso than street bikes. I think the differentiation should certainly be made in-game, with street bikes being inferior in every way (because they are with the exception of very expensive ones).

Maybe better if you make it so that the camera pans ahead of whichever direction you're facing while riding the bike instead? The faster you go on the bike, the farther ahead the camera pans until you character is on the farthest side of the screen opposite the direction being traveled.

I think it'd be better because if you zoom out, the information that needs to be registered by the game, as well as your perception, increases a substantial bit so the game will more likely crash and the player will more likely overlook important details such as obstacles.

I also see a big challenge in making the Cotrols feel "right" bike and cars move in a fluid motion it seems like the 8 point movement system migh make that kinda hard to get the feel of motion in a car or on a bike right. I don know if any of you guys played Fallout Tactics but it had the same view, the movement was handled totally different in that game but the cars ever felt "right" when you drove them.