• No, I hate bikes!
    • Hm, suggestion require changes.
  2. 2. What would be an issue?

• None
    • Bikes too uncool
    • Unbalanced
    • Doesn't fit the game universe
    • Something else (post comment)

I am well aware that vehicles have been suggested; but so far I have not seen pedal bikes being suggested.

Pedal bikes in a realistic perspective

+ Easier to maintain than a car

+ Quiet compared to a car (hordes not storming at your sorry ***)

+ Easier to steal (simply cut the lock)

+ Allows you to outrun zombies

+ Allows you to travel average distances easier

- Slower than cars

- Causes fatigue

- Causes hunger

- Can't run zombies over effectively (compared to a car)

- If flipping over you become very exposed.

Possible extensions:

-Firing weapons/ swinging weapons while biking

-Maintenance: Replacing brakes or busted tires.

-Improvements: On-road or Off-road equipment. adding equipment like extra bags or honk horn (to bait hordes). Generator for bike light or perhaps powering your house?

Feel free to post suggestions or your opinion.

Back when I still played Day Z, a bike was usually the first thing I found and repaired. Oh, how I loved my bike... Dunno how it would work here, though. Might have to have a programmer chime in to see if it's feasible. Then again, vehicles are a planned feature, so this thread may well be a waste of board space if the devs considered bikes among the list of vehicles.

So long as they include a skill for freeing your pant-leg from the chain, I'm all for it.

Lies!!!

You voted against it, you bicyclephobe!

Bicycles would be one of the more obvious modes of transportation. In addition to the things you mentioned, bicycles are ideal to maneuver around all the clogged-up apocalyptic roads.

Let me rephrase:

Bicycles would be one of the more obvious modes of transportation, for people who know how to ride one. :razz: 

Anyway, being Dutch might play a role her. I cycled practically before learned to walk, I use a bicycle on a day to day basis and I've a decent physical condition because of the 100+ kilometers I ride every week because I prefer the bike over my car.

Think it would be a great addition to the game, but they should be rare loot! Because in a realistic viewpoint you can escape pretty easy from a horde when riding a bike. I think this shouldn't be too easy and i think they should be balanced using factors like rust and maintenance.

But overall this suggestion gets a big +1 from me :)

Or it could be common and NPC's with evil(-ish) personalities might take potshots at you just for fun...

Anyway, as large as the map is looking on getting, a fast and easy way to travel long distances seems like it's almost a must.

Think it would be a great addition to the game, but they should be rare loot! Because in a realistic viewpoint you can escape pretty easy from a horde when riding a bike. I think this shouldn't be too easy and i think they should be balanced using factors like rust and maintenance.

But overall this suggestion gets a big +1 from me :)

Perhaps that bikes themself are not rare but the spare tires and tools are. If you bust a wheel in the middle of horde you are pretty much done.

The one drawback is intertia and turning radius.    If at speed you can't really suddenly do a 180 or turn beyond a certain rate.   Navigating a dense highway of zombies at high speed would be death.    An impact should leave you and a zed down on the ground.   But they'd have to implement knock downs for the player.

I think it would be pretty balanced. Causes fatigue at a slightly slower rate/distance than running but would happen faster because covering more distance/time. This would obviously be changed by your character's fitness.

Turning to sharply or running into something results in you falling off.

Road bikes on dirt or long grass causes you to go very slowly. Mountain bikes (much more common in KY anyways) go normal speed on dirt but slower through tall grass. Neither can go through trees.

Crash if running into a fence.

If you really think about it you'd be pretty limited in where you could go. Were the highway in front of you to be blocked with zeds it could be potentially deadly.

Bicycles would be fun and useful to have, but I'm afraid it would involve building an entirely new movement mechanic for the game. I recall a (discouraging) comment along these lines from one of the devs on the old forum.

Cars have already had a proof of concept video (a guy running really fast), but bicycles would be difficult. Stamina management is just the tip of the iceberg. Every pothole, corpse, curb, fence, piece of foliage, item dropped on the ground etc. would (should) become a major crash hazard. Acceleration, deceleration, changing directions etc. would have to be drastically different from movement on foot to be anywhere near realistic. A complex new mechanic would need to be added for coming into contact with the environment (that factors in riding surface, speed, direction of travel etc.).

It would be a neat way to travel in straight lines on clear roads, but if you were to run into a zombie or hit an obstacle, you would probably be screwed, making it a risky travel option in the game (more so than it would be in real life).

And if you were to swing an axe while riding... oh man. I envision so much faceplanting. :razz:

I apologize if I'm wrong but I believe this has been confirmed. I'm not entirely sure I can link you to the confirmation because it was on the other forums but either way I voted this up.

EDIT: Enigma, stop being a ding dong and voting for 'bikes are too uncool' psh... Psh... Ding dong...