Lore Bits: Notes, Journals, Police Reports, etc

Blake81

This is something that's been on my mind since the first radio and TV stories showed up in the IWBUMS.

How about adding small lore elements as random loot to be found around the map? (Just like with the upcoming Annotated Maps)

By ''Lore Bits'', I mean random bits of information scattered across the game world. Notes found on dead Zed that maybe give some clues as how did they end up as such or inside containers all over the map. (like some dude saying he was about to try and kill some Zeds with a shotgun he found, or a journal from someone with a certain level of medical knowledge taking notes on the advance of his own infection), hospital reports on unusual events (like an unusual increase in the number of new patients with bite wounds, or that strange banging sound coming from the morgue.... probably just the ventilation, right?) and maybe once tape recorders and cassettes are added, Police recordings of 911 calls (a woman complaining that there's a bloodied man banging her door with its head, or an unusually pale and shambling ''bum'' hanging around their garden, maybe even someone reporting they found a wounded person and are trying to tend his wounds until suddenly-GYAUGH!! Followed by moans and flesh-chewing sounds....).

This would not only allow players to piece the PZ story bit by bit (kinda like in Dark Souls) but could motivate certain players to explore places they wouldn't usually go to (like a Bank or an office building), but would also create a sense of ''real'' world progression; the Zed didn't just drop from the sky and ate everybody, there were phases to the infection and not everybody realized what was going on until it was too late.

I believe this could be a great addition to PZ's storytelling system as a whole.

id like to see just more evidence of resistance against the horde. like currently we have a bunch of random gen survivor houses and stuff, which is cool. but id like to see places that would pose strategic value in the fight against the horde and have a chance for remnants of a fight to spawn there. like on main street there could be the remnants of a battle between cops and zekes. once cars are added in this could be even better done. there could be the remnants of overrun military barricades on the edge of the roads out of town. the remains of an assault of the police station. these could be cool places to grab some good firearms loot and ammo (maybe body armour if added) but are covered in zombies maybe even slightly tougher than regular after their battles. could be cool to see a few random gen fight scenes around the place to make it truly seem like a battle against the zekes properly took place here.

Oh my! That looks waaaay better than it did in my imagination. Maybe using the same system we have for showing the maps (as an image) we could have some of these. And with that, there could be dozens of similar reports, from hospitals, firemen and maybe even secret orders found in the bodies of dead military personnel.

3 minutes ago, Killer said:

id like to see just more evidence of resistance against the horde.

Truth to be told, there ARE a few places with signs of struggle (mainly in the form of bloodstains), I remember seeing one in Cortman's lobby, on a parking lot somewhere along the main Mul road and the biggest one at the restaurant of the Sunstar Hotel.

However, they are static, and yeah, I hope that with the upcoming cars, there can be some more randomized signs of struggle and combat.

• 1 month later...

having stuff like that would be really cool. but it'd only have serious effect if u found that in a doctors office filled with blood and bodies. but stuff like this littered through the world would really bring the world to life

Edited by Killer

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 2:45 PM, Deputy said:

Again, not trying to grave dig, but here's another report if you'd like. :)

591e15e8c484d_PrisonReport.jpg.f63e77381beef74d3dc1db8222c2405e.jpg

RAAAAGH! OM NOM NOM! Tryin' ta get me to sign my name? FOR WHAT?! So you can sign up for basic cable in my name?! OM NOM NOM NOM!