Ramping Difficulty

Jarrick

Hey folks, just had a quick question that I was hoping somebody might be able to provide insight on.

Obviously 'Survival' mode is the go-to way to play the game as the developers had intended.  That said, I'm curious to know if the difficulty ramps up over time.

While I know the power and water shut off, I'm more or less curious about the encroaching danger of zombies.  Do they continue to migrate into the area?  Do hordes grow as the months pass?  Will I find myself in an impenetrable fortress if I barricade my house and fortify my walls, cultivating crops in my own backyard  and living off the land without the dangers of scratches and bites, eventually riding out the days of the apocalypse with minimal risk of death?

I'm more of a base builder than a constant scavenger so once I've stockpiled a decent amount of resources I enjoy getting to work creating a new home.  That said, if there is no risk of danger once I've fortified said home, the drive to play dwindles.

If it's true that the risk of danger is minimal once I've fortified my new home, what do you guys recommend for settings to keep the late game dangerous?

Hi Jarrick,

Do they continue to migrate into the area?

Yes! Over time you will find hordes wandering back into your space. Sometimes they will be quite large, if you have not been routinely clearing out areas in all directions of you.

Do hordes grow as the months pass?

Sort of. The maximum zombie density in an area increases over the first 30 days by about 50% I think. However, the hordes that form are limited by a consistent horde-size cap. Zombies in an area that can not "fit" into an existing horde/group will start a new one nearby.

Will I find myself in an impenetrable fortress if I barricade my house and fortify my walls, cultivating crops in my own backyard  and living off the land without the dangers of scratches and bites, eventually riding out the days of the apocalypse with minimal risk of death?

Yes! If you are vigilant. The wandering hordes can eventually get in if left unchecked. I recommend building TWO log walls all around your house for extra security :P

if there is no risk of danger once I've fortified said home, the drive to play dwindles.

The idea is that reintroduction of NPCs (and possibly threats of wildlife?) will drive the real threat levels in the late game. Once I have a more or less zombie-proof setup, and survive one winter, I consider myself to have beaten the current game content until NPCs are released.

what do you guys recommend for settings to keep the late game dangerous?

I like to scale things up to ridiculous proporions, ensuring that I will lose eventually.

To accomplish this I usually play with no mods and alter the "advanced zombie options" with the following changes:

Pop peak multiplier: 4

Pop peak day: 365

Follow sound distance: 150

Rally group size: 200

Rally travel distance: 30

Rally group radius: 5 (if this is too small, large hordes bind up into an indistinguishable zombie ball)

This ensures that even my best forts will fall if I'm not actively trimming down a wiiiide area around my base, forcing me to leave my walls and engage zombies. Any oversight on my part means 200 zeds could come barrelling through my walls in the middle of the night. You can also set the rally group size higher if you want fewer but larger hordes that can be distracted and led around easier. I set it at 200 to keep them from being too easy to divert.

I have not yet made it a full year with these settings, as peak population of 4 means there are more zeds than ground tiles on your screen most times :P 

Hope you find some settings that work for you!

PS to add some "flavor" to the settings, my reasoning for the enormous amount of zombies is that some major urban center has been wiped out and is migrating across the continent, slowly overtaking our quiet region of KY :P

On 3/26/2017 at 10:24 AM, Jarrick said:

Hey folks, what do you guys recommend for settings to keep the late game dangerous?

Set yourself to 'log walls are ridiculous and I won't use them'.

Shit gets real and stays that way, most plays.

I find myself crying over smashed tomatoes.

Archived