Group of Bots characters and management like rimworld ?

Frenchy

Hi,

6 years in Alpha, i'm sure the question has already been asked, but i don't find her. 

In futur update, are you going to set up a AI program like Rimword (management,relationship or just event Attack or rescue IA group in a barricaded house ..) or we shall always be solitary survivors ? 

When me and my friend replay this game last week, we noticed : when we understood how zombie works, the boredom coming fast.
So any chance to see that in futur update ? 

The game is still in work in progess ? 

Short answer: Yes this game is a pre-release, so updates are coming, but don't expect to see NPC's in-game anytime soon.

Around a year ago I made my first post on this forum, where I ended up mentioning NPC, since there are a lot of new features told in mondoids, but no news about the AI or NPCs.  It caused quite an angry outburst from the main devs and forum moderators, so I didn't really stick around on this community. I haven't really even played this game after that, but I still try to keep up with the mondoids weekly and I can easily tell this game has been adapting slowly in to a more MP biased project. I once expected the NPCs to return, like one would expect jesus to comeback, but last mondoid with any info about them was around 2015...

The goal of the AI is to act similarly to other players / survivors in the  game rather than RimWorld's hands-on management of a colony.

You may or may find yourself in a position to give orders or collect followers.

1 hour ago, allu said:

Short answer: Yes this game is a pre-release, so updates are coming, but don't expect to see NPC's in-game anytime soon.

Around a year ago I made my first post on this forum, where I ended up mentioning NPC, since there are a lot of new features told in mondoids, but no news about the AI or NPCs.  It caused quite an angry outburst from the main devs and forum moderators, so I didn't really stick around on this community. I haven't really even played this game after that, but I still try to keep up with the mondoids weekly and I can easily tell this game has been adapting slowly in to a more MP biased project. I once expected the NPCs to return, like one would expect jesus to comeback, but last mondoid with any info about them was around 2015...

Aside from featuring the acronym NPCs, Frenchy's request for clarification doesn't bare any resemblance to your dislike of multiplayer. Both NPCs and MP are important to the game and part of the original vision doc. It's very doubtful the game would been able to carry on this long, had it not been for the introduction of MP, even though it's been ignored for many years.  Had MP not happened, we'd still be waiting for NPCs, regardless.

There's no point blaming it or a few improvements to it for the wait.

Where on earth did I say that I dislike MP or blamed other updates for hindering the AI progress?
All I told the guy that you will propably someday see NPCs in this game, but dont expect it to be anytime soon.

On 26/03/2017 at 0:20 PM, Frenchy said:

In futur update, are you going to set up a AI program like Rimword (management,relationship or just event Attack or rescue IA group in a barricaded house ..) or we shall always be solitary survivors ? 

This. I've always thought the idea of NPC's in the way the devs described way back to actually be nearly impossible. But now that you mention a possible Rimworld like management system for NPC'S..

Finally I believe it can be done :o

On 3/26/2017 at 6:20 AM, Frenchy said:

Hi,

6 years in Alpha, i'm sure the question has already been asked, but i don't find her. 

When me and my friend replay this game last week, we noticed : when we understood how zombie works, the boredom coming fast.
So any chance to see that in futur update ? 

The game is still in work in progess ? 

Turn on sprinters and make loot very rare. The fun and excitement will come back.

4 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

I don't know why NPC's are even a big deal, they're not nessecary for the game to function. If i had to choose between anims, cars, and NPCs. I'd throw NPC's out of the window and be stuck one anims or cars.

Whole lot of us don't like MP-only games. :P

3 hours ago, Queen Glory said:

Multiplayer makes the game, some guy could be "Fwendly Fwendly" and we have a nice chat. While 2 mins later someone with a shot gun tries to gun us down and i chop him up with an axe!

I'd rather play something hand-crafted by developers than the  randomness of MP.

10 hours ago, Queen Glory said:

Multiplayer makes the game, some guy could be "Fwendly Fwendly" and we have a nice chat. While 2 mins later someone with a shot gun tries to gun us down and i chop him up with an axe!

Quite a few of us started following the game before multiplayer was more than a passing thought in the devs minds.

The game was originally a single player deal and what caught many of us.  Besides I don't find multiplayer interesting unless it is with people you know because the overwhelming majority of people in online games tend to be asshats.

The situation you described is pretty much EVERY survival game with multiplayer which is why I don't play multiplayer survival games most of the time.   Yay I finally built up my bas*gunshot*.  GET REKT NOOB! *burns down my base then logs off*

On 4/7/2017 at 1:46 AM, Butter Bot said:

I'd rather play something hand-crafted by developers than the  randomness of MP.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, Kelgo said:

Quite a few of us started following the game before multiplayer was more than a passing thought in the devs minds.

The game was originally a single player deal and what caught many of us.  Besides I don't find multiplayer interesting unless it is with people you know because the overwhelming majority of people in online games tend to be asshats.

The situation you described is pretty much EVERY survival game with multiplayer which is why I don't play multiplayer survival games most of the time.   Yay I finally built up my bas*gunshot*.  GET REKT NOOB! *burns down my base then logs off*

The randomness is what i CRAVE. It gets boring and repetitive (for me at least) having the same events over and over again. Or doing the same thing, some people enjoy it, I dont. I love randomness, every situation or encounter never knowing how it's going to turn out, even if i get the shit end of the stick.

On 3/27/2017 at 6:17 PM, Butter Bot said:

The goal of the AI is to act similarly to other players / survivors in the  game rather than RimWorld's hands-on management of a colony.

You may or may find yourself in a position to give orders or collect followers.

Wait: does this mean that ' giving orders' may or may not be implemented, or that it will be implemented, but you may or may not find yourself in a leadership position (i.e. in a position where an npc will listen to/follow your orders).

If i had to choose, I'd much prefer the second interpretation. 

2 hours ago, grammarsalad said:

it will be implemented, but you may or may not find yourself in a leadership position (i.e. in a position where an npc will listen to/follow your orders).

It is this, your second interpretation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm conflicted about this topic. Very conflicted. I agree with explorator about the Rimworld-style management being difficult to integrate into such an "organic-feeling" game that is very atmospheric, but still... a part of me see a lot of promise in such a system, IF integrated correctly. You could assign zones, for example your farm, to a single survivor (who would consume food and water in order to survive, obviously) who would then care for the plants while his farming skill improve. Another could be instructed to, for example, operate a walkie talkie and contact you in case the safehouse is attacked. He could even actually fight on his own to stop a couple of zombies from bringing down barricades. That would, obviously, make everything... complex. Much more complex. A survivor might get bitten and try to keep it hidden from you. And one night... he dies. But he doesn't stay dead, and he might be very well be sleeping in the next room, or in a single large dormitory. That would mean a rather organic experience if done correctly. It's just speculation, but this would not need a very complex A.I, and since NPCs have been in the making for a long time, such an approach might even make it easier for the devs to implement them earlier, albeit as "sidekicks" more than a possible menace. 

On 2017-4-6 at 10:01 AM, Queen Glory said:

I don't know why NPC's are even a big deal, they're not nessecary for the game to function. If i had to choose between anims, cars, and NPCs. I'd throw NPC's out of the window and be stuck one anims or cars.

I would throw anims (along with the clothing feature) and cars out of the window without a second thought if i would get the NPCs in the next update.

I just dont like MP, it starts off fun and then gets boring for me for some reason unless i am playing with friends. 

I prefer having NPCs and immerse myself in the SP world than trying to immerse myself in MP.

As for OP, you could look up the Mondoids about NPCs to get a feeling of how are they going to play out.

I just don't want it like the mod. People settle for that and that's fine, but it hurt my head managing babies around the place. As long as an AI can simulate thinking behaviour,  act independently and have different personality traits, that's good AI. Besides all the surviving and combat things these are my most important needs for NPCs. 

I liked MP when it was eliakoh's server: everything was new, everything was chaotic, player-base was high and I guess that was because it was fresh. Now it's just a bit too serious for me, and I don't want to ruin the amazing memories on eliakoh's server.

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I would throw anims (along with the clothing feature) and cars out of the window without a second thought if i would get the NPCs in the next update.

I just dont like MP, it starts off fun and then gets boring for me for some reason unless i am playing with friends. 

I prefer having NPCs and immerse myself in the SP world than trying to immerse myself in MP.

As for OP, you could look up the Mondoids about NPCs to get a feeling of how are they going to play out.

i would throw npc and cars for anims and clothing. the combat system adds a lot and new things that reduces the boredom of players that likes to kill zombies with different weapons.

Archived